• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Change in Pokemon - Good or Bad?

I don't mind changes for the better. The physical/special split in Gen IV was certainly welcome, but it really does depend on what they change. If they ended up changing or even cutting a feature people really like, then I can see how it's bad.

I assume we're talking bigger changes though. I thought cutting gyms would be huge, but to be honest, trials are pretty similar to gyms. Changing the name of something doesn't really change the thing itself, and I can't see them making any huge game-changing changes. Pokémon games are quite popular, and the formula works well. They tried "starting over" in Black and White, with cutting a lot of the older Pokémon. I feel like even that was going a bit far, as much as I still like those games.

Mixing things up at times doesn't hurt, though.

I don't mind changes for the better. The physical/special split in Gen IV was certainly welcome, but it really does depend on what they change. If they ended up changing or even cutting a feature people really like, then I can see how it's bad.

I assume we're talking bigger changes though. I thought cutting gyms would be huge, but to be honest, trials are pretty similar to gyms. Changing the name of something doesn't really change the thing itself, and I can't see them making any huge game-changing changes. Pokémon games are quite popular, and the formula works well. They tried "starting over" in Black and White, with cutting a lot of the older Pokémon. I feel like even that was going a bit far, as much as I still like those games.

Mixing things up at times doesn't hurt, though.

Your comment really complements your username (and your Wooper gif) ^_^

noworried about change :B

@Unown Seer this might seem like a random question, but what is your general stance on this topic? Might have missed a reply.
I guess that I didn't explicitly state it here, but I'm in favor of more dynamic battles that are a combination of turn-based and real-time elements. Pokemon should really be able to move around rather stay stuck in one place.

But aren't new pokemon in general a reason to buy games?

It is, except Ash-Greninja wasn't a new Pokemon at the time. You're talking about availability. Just because Zygarde 100% isn't available in XY doesn't mean it was a new Pokemon when you were able to get it in SM; the same goes for Ash-Greninja (but Zygarde 100% has more right to be included in a game than Ash-Greninja). Not only that, but Ash-Greninja is a very nasty marketing tool due to its horrific popularity. The SM demo gave it away without any purpose, other than upping the sales of SM.

In order for the Pokemon Switch game to succeed, there must be a balance between innovation and tradition, and not have the franchise go full swinging in either direction. Pokemon Sun and Moon is a great example of this, as it changed up many aspects of the franchise (such as the replacement of gyms with trials) while keeping the core gameplay intact. Something like this would be well appreciated.

How would that work with the turn-based formula? We already have Protect/Detect and Double Team.

Either add it as a new type of move class like the aforementioned Attack/Block/Grab system in the Digimon World rumor or add it as a new function in battle similar to Call from Colosseum/XD. Protect/Detect and Double Team don't really provide as much depth and strategy because they're just regular moves and not every Pokemon can learn them. I'm saying we should have a more complex and comprehensive system instead of just limiting this to one or two moves.

Like what? Please don't say fusion.

Nah, fusion would just be a gimmick like Mega Evolutions or regional variants, something they give to a select number of Pokemon to make them stronger/more unique. That wouldn't really be an improvement in the formula. One thing I did mention earlier was a more organized environmental system. Kind of like the fan game Pokemon Reborn. It took the terrain system and organized it into a game wide system that affects every type, adds a ton of new combinations and adds realistic effects to certain moves, and in general creates a whole new layer of strategy to the battling. Something like that would really evolve the battling mechanics.

Here's what a redditor has to say about the main series games using a real time battle system:

"Look Pokemon's appeal has always been its battle mechanics. If they do an complete overhaul to the battle system it would be a middle finger to every player that stuck with the series. How do you think players who spent time breeding teams, pouring hours into stratergy and additionally paying GF to help transfer those bred Pokemon to the new games if GF said sorry but we are changing the system.

Additionally if players really want a different play style for Pokemon their are plenty of spin off games that implement different of those play styles.

Pokken is that real time action battle system that is mentioned.

Now you also have to remember the amount of programming and man hours that they will have to go through to give each and every Pokemon their own attack animations. Also if they change this online battle system they will have to rebalance the whole game. They will have to completely change the way attacks effect each other and by extension status moves.

Also this would real time action battle system will limit the players to only 1vs1 Pokemon battles and the rest of the different methods of battling like "double battles" will have to be scrapped.

Also this would be the breaking point for this rumor. How in the hell are you going to make each and every Pokemon able to function in a real time battle system? I looking at most of the aquatic Pokemon, Pokemon without limbs. How are you going to make a Wailord or metapod fighting look exciting.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar to Pokemon Stadium. Where the Pokemon would interact with the enviorment more, like circling/stalking the enemy pokemon, doging attacks if they miss, charging the enemy to attack if using physical moves. But you run into the same problem, the developers will need time to program this to each an every Pokemon."

I wouldn't mind seeing a change in how elemental damage is calculated - as an analogue, consider the way accuracy/evasion is implemented. In older Gens they were separate modifiers (e.g. +2 accuracy vs. +1 evasion = 5/3 vs. 3/4 = 5/4 chance to hit) but later generations combined them (e.g. +2 accuracy vs +1 evasion = +1 chance-to-hit = 4/3). Using this logic, you compare attack type vs. Pokemon type(s), +1 for each supereffective and -1 for each resistance and just index the result into a lookup table of (+2 = 2x, +1 = 1.5x, -1 = 1/2, -2 = 0.25.)

TLDR - slightly reduces the strength of supereffective elements but keeps resistances (and immunities) intact. It would be a minor but far-reaching change in balance - not necessarily a good one, but discuss.

Using real-time battling is a major risk. How would the fandom react to it? Maybe it could have worked if it was implemented in early gens.

I would welcome being able to dodge instead of having my Pokémon sit there and take attacks. But a problem would be if your opponent too can dodge. I don't like when my attack misses because it's wasted PP. Plus, that could make battles longer.
They can also have the Pokémon use the field like in the anime, but that would further complicate stuff.

Using real-time battling is a major risk. How would the fandom react to it? Maybe it could have worked if it was implemented in early gens.

if done right, but me worries the amount of data the games would need.

But a problem would be if your opponent too can dodge. I don't like when my attack misses because it's wasted PP. Plus, that could make battles longer.
In a realtime environment, this can be addressed by deducting PP only from successful hits, like basically every game with a weapon-durability mechanic ever.

Every game has taught me something: don't expect changes to be innovative in every generation, expect Game Freak to go two steps forward and three steps back, and if a change is a big welcome, I expect them to take it away in the next generation with something nice but hard to achieve (like perfect IVs at level 100).

Changes made that stayed in every generation: there's running. Strangely, they took away the day/night feature in Gen III and brough it back in Gen IV and it stayed ever since. That's all I can think of that became a mainstay.

Every game has taught me something: don't expect changes to be innovative in every generation, expect Game Freak to go two steps forward and three steps back, and if a change is a big welcome, I expect them to take it away in the next generation with something nice but hard to achieve (like perfect IVs at level 100).

Changes made that stayed in every generation: there's running. Strangely, they took away the day/night feature in Gen III and brough it back in Gen IV and it stayed ever since. That's all I can think of that became a mainstay.
the reality of the situation is that Game Freak is pragmatic. let's look at your IV example. why is it so cumbersome? because it's not meant to be used on any and every Pokemon. the fact that it only soft changes your stats (ie., it just changes your stats to be as if you had 31 IVs, but your IVs are still whatever they are) on top of the level requirement and item requirement point to it being meant for Pokemon you had used in the main campaign or un-breedable Pokemon like legendaries. it's meant to patch up your starter for the post-game, not general competitive play. another example would be the DexNav which Game Freak outright said was intended to address the fact that Hoenn pales in comparison to Kalos when it comes to selection so they said "well let's just make it more fun to capture the same five things at least," hence why despite its popularity it has never returned.

change in pokemon comes as Game Freak sees fit for the change to be made.

We've thoroughly discussed about the Battle System in the fakes/leaks thread. The last two games, Pokémon S&M and US&UM have added direct anime references: Ash-Greninja, the Ash-Pikachu homage and Lycanroc-Dusk which is owned by Ash in the anime. Let us not count the Pikachu of Yellow, because Ash was served as Red's anime form in the very beginning so that Pikachu is very ambiguous. I think this is GF's new twist: not being ashamed of adding anime elements, or even adapting the games to the anime. I hope they'll go further with it. Rumors say that some elements like PP are going to change to an anime-themed mechanic. I'd be very pleased if the whole Battle System will be like how trainers battle in the anime. However, if don't want it to be like DX (trainer of the BW and XY series besides Sawyer battle just like how battles are executed in DX). I want it to be like how the writers of DP made the trainers battle with not only sheer force but also strategy. Trainers in the likes of Conway, Paul, Roark, Fantina, Ash from the DP series and Sawyer have a top-notch balance between power and tactics. I'd LOVE it if the Switch gives us the freedom to battle like that. However, this sounds a bit too ambitious at the moment...
The games and the anime are separate. It should be kept that way. Yellow was a one time thing made in the height of Pokemania. And, Lycanroc-Dusk is not at all related to Ash. It was an early buy bonus for USUM which Ash got to promote said game.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom