• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Change of Air Date

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
If true, it would explain why we haven't gotten any information on the October 4th episode...because there isn't one.

I hated when they initially changed the timeslot to Sunday, but have gotten used to it over time. So if this is true, I'll have to adjust to the change yet again, although ultimately I do prefer the weekday timeslot to the Sunday (I know it's not, but it always felt like less of a wait for new episodes, lol).

What will be interesting to see is if this change does anything to the awful episodic format. I definitely don't think we'd see any immediate changes, but maybe as time goes on we could get treated to more arcs and the like. That would be so great!

Maybe if they knew about the timeslot change beforehand, they could have made the DD arc (or any arc for that matter) with that in mind?

Either way if this actually true then journeys has been blessed, I'd expect more two parters/1-hour specials than older series, because it would allow more time for PWC battles and especially to explore the regions which is pretty much JN's thing

From Get Pikachu's preview thread:
20200911_163624.jpg

I don't know if this could change the series' episodic format. Part of that is probably due to region hopping being one of its main gimmicks, but I'd be happy with longer arcs. Outside of Galar and of course Kanto given their homebase is there, they don't really spend a lot of time in one region, which seems like a major design flaw. The Darkest Day plot definitely would benefit from having more than two episodes to work with it, but I assume that they'll be building up to more over time too.

If they stop with the weird episode plotholes we had with Chewtle and Morpeko I'm ok with this.

If they stop with the weird episode order we had I'm ok with this (For example the Flygon episode should have been after the Bea episode, the Rabifoot episode should have been before Gengar episode)

If we had better and longer arcs like we used to have. I'm ok wit this.

If the gatcha dissapears from the face of the earth I'm ok with this.

I'm not sure how changing days and timeslots will change how the Show's doing things. After all, SM had a few multi-episode stories while it was on Sundays. The lack of over arching plots in the creative team, not the schedule.

I just hope this is a positive change somehow.

Come to think of it...how ARE general Friday ratings in Japan anyway???
Here in America airing a show on Fridays is considered a (cruel) death sentence, but how does usually it go in Japan? :unsure:

I'm REALLY hoping they wait as long as possible on Darkest Day. Having it happen within the first year or so would be about as bad as what happened with Kyogre & Groudon, or Nebby. Hell, even WORSE because they've barely done enough with Galar to justify it happening at all, let alone so early...
(bits and pieces of set up do not a storyline make)

If the gatcha dissapears from the face of the earth I'm ok with this.

Sorry, but we're stuck with it for the rest of this series.
It being in the new opening cements it.

I'm not sure how changing days and timeslots will change how the Show's doing things. After all, SM had a few multi-episode stories while it was on Sundays. The lack of over arching plots in the creative team, not the schedule.
The director stated that the Sunday timeslot was the reason for the self-contained format. His logic was that kids would spend time with their families on Sunday instead of watching TV, and would therefore not get to watch the episodes live. Because of this, they wanted to make the episodes self-contained so that kids could watch them in reruns without missing out on important plot points. Theoretically, they would no longer need to make episodes in this way if the show began airing during a weekday.

Of course, it's entirely possible that he was lying, and they they opted to go with the episodic format for more insidious reasons. Or they might choose to stick with this format after switching timeslots because they've already established it and don't want to drastically change things up mid-series.

Last edited:
It makes no sense why the episodic format would change just because of the new timeslot. Unless they did it when it happened back in SM, I see no reason as to why believe this.

And that's like the 3rd timeslot change? From Tuesday to Thursday, then to Sunday, and now to Friday? I don't know the reason, but it doesn't look good for ratings. Reminds me of the late Fox Kids and their constant changes, which just came to a halt when it became Jetix.

AGAIN? :bulbaFacepalm: :bulbaFacepalm:

The good thing is that the second preview will become relevant again (I said relevant, not useful). The bad is that I personally liked to check cast lists, previews and reactions in Saturdays and Sundays when there's more time to do it.

I agree that this doesn't mean the episodic format will die, it seems to be Journeys' philosophy even though the interviews say it's not. I also feel like this change wasn't as planned as the other one, otherwise it would have a new opening. And in case it was, we wouldn't see the changes until JN047 because of the hiatus.

It makes no sense why the episodic format would change just because of the new timeslot.
Umm.... Because when the timeslot change happened, the official statement was that they want to stick with the family show format and they are well aware that people would not follow the episodes weekly, or something along these lines. So the excuse for episodic format was the timeslot change on Sunday in the first place?

What will be interesting to see is if this change does anything to the awful episodic format. I definitely don't think we'd see any immediate changes, but maybe as time goes on we could get treated to more arcs and the like. That would be so great!
Longer arcs would definitely help Journeys feel a little less cramped when it comes to episode plots.
Darkest Day would suffer under episodic format.
This especially... I honestly don't think I'd even care for the Darkest Day story arc if it's just a two parter. Not only would it be too rushed (and possibly even be on Team Aqua/Magma levels of rushed) but it would also most likely mean less stakes meaning less reason to watch.

This especially... I honestly don't think I'd even care for the Darkest Day story arc if it's just a two parter. Not only would it be too rushed (and possibly even be on Team Aqua/Magma levels of rushed) but it would also most likely mean less stakes meaning less reason to watch.
That would not be good if it is rushed.

Ok, before I get too excited, is this legit? Has it been confirmed by TV Tokyo or the anime production yet?

If it's true then what this means for the show remains to be seen. I can't find any info on what Friday means in terms of programming in Japan, so if anyone can shed any light I would be very interested.

Truthfully I am still not over Thursdays (I have a reflexive urge every week to check cast lists on Wednesdays, still!) and, regardless if I am working or off, it is so inconvenient to have to catch up on Pokeani on a Sunday when I might have plans or be spending time with my family. This will also just make the weekend that much hypier. ALSO means we crazy forum-goers will have the whole weekend to dissect the most recent episode rather than having to do pointless, unfounded speculation because we have too much time and little else to talk about! :bulbaWave:

Umm.... Because when the timeslot change happened, the official statement was that they want to stick with the family show format and they are well aware that people would not follow the episodes weekly, or something along these lines. So the excuse for episodic format was the timeslot change on Sunday in the first place?
I wasn't aware of any statement nor anything so, if we take it into account, makes sense.

The director stated that the Sunday timeslot was the reason for the self-contained format. His logic was that kids would spend time with their families on Sunday instead of watching TV, and would therefore not get to watch the episodes live. Because of this, they wanted to make the episodes self-contained so that kids could watch them in reruns without missing out on important plot points. Theoretically, they would no longer need to make episodes in this way if the show began airing during a weekday.

Of course, it's entirely possible that he was lying, and they they opted to go with the episodic format for more insidious reasons. Or they might choose to stick with this format after switching timeslots because they've already established it and don't want to drastically change things up mid-series.
Thank you for explaining this; I was going to ask why a change in time slot suddenly meant more over-arching stories.

If this is true, then it is something I prefer; I was comfortable with that Thursday timeslot for the longest time and the switch to Sunday was jarring. Expanding from episode-contained stories is much better story telling in my opinion. And I agree with the others-the Darkest Day better be treated with dignity and substance; I do not want repeats of the Hoenn crisis and Lusamine issues from before. It may not need to be Kalos levels of complexity and build-up, but I would appreciate something similar. Again, if Team Flare is any indication, it is not too late.

If this is true then I guess this is where me and Journeys part ways. I'm almost never home at that time on a Friday so I would only be able to watch them downloaded. While this means I will get them subbed from the start it also means that any motivation I have to watch stuff that doesn't specifically interest me will be basically zero. These can include episodes about Chloe, visits to locations that interest me and any other plot that happens to sound appealing, but if it's an, 'Ash and Goh do something random without Chloe so they can engage in some generic filler tat,' episode chances are I won't get around to seeing it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom