• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Changes/Additions you would make in an update to SwSh

Good luck trying to use them with Aurorus' pathetic attack stat.

always something a little more, what if with wonder room?
me worries more that Glaciate is a good speed reducing ice move and we have also icy wind...
Aurorus with Ancient Power can always boost all its stats.
Maybe with Coil? Maybe something like Aurorus should get First Impression or Extreem speed, especially Ice shard for coverage and priority? Tyrantrum actually too should get a priority option like Fake Out.

Grass Pelt should grant immunty to grass moves too... boost speed one stage when hit...
Ice body the same with ice moves... Ice face and Ice body should grant immunity to ice moves
and Ice body should work like Water Absorb and rain dish but with ice moves.

Flame body should additionaly react to grass and fire moves...

Chlorophyll should activate when hit by solar beam/solar blade/sun and solar move and grant immunity to them...

weird that grass and fire didnt get more abilities that grant immunity to their own type like water did.
lightning rod and sap sipper to make it more challenging

maybe a new trapping ability? Or a ability that you cause the target damage every turn if the target trapped the user?

Stake out would react to switching and trapping(from the target and user side), to be more useful
this way a pokemon with Stake Out would get a boost to U-turn when self switching out too and to trapping moves when getting trapped or when trapping the foe.

Run away would allow user to switch out like a ghost.

Emergency Exit would switch out always when under 50%hp breaking multistrike moves hitting the target and moving hits to the next one... also would auto-switch out when target tries to trap it.

Wimp out would auto-switch out additionaly when user would get trapped by oponent via move or ability(free from sky drop) and break multistrike moves and would recover back 25% hp when doing it like regenerator ability does but less.

Hope if they bring back Grass Whistle it will have 90% accuracy instead of 55% taking that we have electric terrain now... it should put also grass types to sleep but not work on sap sipper users...

Last edited:
Plenty. Not that the games are bad (in fact I like them a lot), but I would tweak some game mechanics mostly (if not in mainland Galar, in the new places of the expansion).

- To have a chosen Pokemon following my avatar. I know it is easy to suggest because, compared to the Let's Go games, SW/SH do have 400 Pokemon as of today, and more coming the expansions. But I don't see why they couldn't do this (maybe limit the Pokemon that can follow you , like the ones that already have motion programmed in the overworld?)

- To have more facial expressions on the avatars, and a more human movements for all human characters. In some scenes the human models look a bit too rigid and robotic. It's just a pet peeve of mine, but the Switch can handle a lot more detail in this regard. We are no longer dealing with the 3DS, Game Freak!

- To have voice acting. That would be cool albeit a lot of extra work.

- To have trainer rematches again. It worked fine on Omega Ruby and Soul Silver, for instance, and it lets you get easier experience for your Pokemon. And this mechanic has been always optional in the aforementioned games, so it wouldn't detract from the overall story.

- Maybe to have adult avatar models? I know this is a stretch, but many Pokefans, like me, are no longer 10 year olds! It would be nice for Game Freak to acknowledge the adult fandom for once.

- To have a HARDER mode! Maybe something akin to a nuzlocke... I am trying one, and it is kind of refreshing and a lot more exciting, since I play the games lots of times and they are always easy, even with weaker Mons and I'd like the option of having more of a challenge (well, except for SoulSilver, which is more challenging IMO, and Ultra Necrozma in USUM).

- And why not having a new version of the ORAS DexNav? Instead of the Pokedex "suggestions", the DexNav was way more useful to find rarer (sometimes stronger) Pokemon.

Last edited:
- To have trainer rematches again. It worked fine on Omega Ruby and Soul Silver, for instance, and it lets you get easier experience for your Pokemon. And this mechanic has been always optional in the aforementioned games, so it wouldn't detract from the overall story.
Well, I would say that Johto's rematches did take away from the game, but that was due to how the PokéGear calls were handled. Yes, Joey, I know you have a Rattata and you consider him the best, but could you stop calling me that frequently?

Well, I would say that Johto's rematches did take away from the game, but that was due to how the PokéGear calls were handled. Yes, Joey, I know you have a Rattata and you consider him the best, but could you stop calling me that frequently?

Of course!!! No more PokeGear phone thingy ever again! I was never a fan of freaking Joey and his eternal Rattata, and most other callers were useless filler. Some were useful, though, but not most.

But in ORAS you just have to look them up in your map, no annoying calls every minute. That is way better IMO, and this mechanic could be improved even.

To have a chosen Pokemon following my avatar. I know it is easy to suggest because, compared to the Let's Go games, SW/SH do have 400 Pokemon as of today, and more coming the expansions. But I don't see why they couldn't do this (maybe limit the Pokemon that can follow you , like the ones that already have motion programmed in the overworld?)
All the animations for following Pokémon already exist. The walking/running animations used for the Kanto Pokémon in LGPE were found in the data of USUM. Same goes for the overworld Pokémon in SwSh.

I don’t think it would be a tall order for GameFreak to implement following Pokémon in SwSh.

To have a chosen Pokemon following my avatar. I know it is easy to suggest because, compared to the Let's Go games, SW/SH do have 400 Pokemon as of today, and more coming the expansions. But I don't see why they couldn't do this (maybe limit the Pokemon that can follow you , like the ones that already have motion programmed in the overworld?)
They already have the walking/running animations of all Pokémon so that isn’t an issue at all...

- To have voice acting. That would be cool albeit a lot of extra work.

I've seen a lot of comments around the net (often Twitter) with people saying they want voice acting in the Pokémon games but I really, really don't personally.

I often see people cite that they hate having to read the dialogue to their kids, but I grew up playing games with no voice acting and see the reading element as a good bit of education for kids.

Also often the voices in games just sound off to how the character sounds in my head - Zelda's English voice in Breath of the Wild is a good example, the voice grated on me so much that having the option to switch language and have subtitles being added with the DLC was a massive blessing. I completely understand what they were going for with the voice but it annoyed the hell out of me!

They already have the walking/running animations of all Pokémon so that isn’t an issue at all...

There you go, they can totally have this in a Sw/Sh update. It might be a minor detail, but for me there is something really amazing about having one of your Mons following you, especially if that Mon is cool and / or good looking. Plus they kind of look more like your pets when they loyally follow you everywhere. I loved that feature in the Let's Go games!

I've seen a lot of comments around the net (often Twitter) with people saying they want voice acting in the Pokémon games but I really, really don't personally.

I often see people cite that they hate having to read the dialogue to their kids, but I grew up playing games with no voice acting and see the reading element as a good bit of education for kids.
Same, with the added fact of having to play games with VA, but no subtitles. It was the 90's... where they forgot there were people that had hearing disabilities. There are also some accents that are hard for me to understand (like Cammy's from Street Fighter IV)

I also ended up learning English through videogames, so reading doesn't bother me.

Also often the voices in games just sound off to how the character sounds in my head - Zelda's English voice in Breath of the Wild is a good example, the voice grated on me so much that having the option to switch language and have subtitles being added with the DLC was a massive blessing. I completely understand what they were going for with the voice but it annoyed the hell out of me!
What about an option to turn off the voice acting? Is that a thing games even do? I'm sorta in between voice acting and no voice acting--the somewhat awkward mouth movements and especially Piers' performances made me more warm to the idea--where depending on the situation I may or may not want it. Having the option would be a win-win for everyone.

I'm honestly pretty neutral on voice acting myself, but I think a combination of the two (with the option to turn the audio for the acting off) would be good. Text in games is hugely important for deaf/hard of hearing players, but having the option to have text read aloud could also be nice for dyslexic players. And while I don't really think a game with text is going to teach reading any more than a menu or forum would, having voice acting could help a developing reader know if they were reading it right or not.

I'd probably keep it off myself- I usually read faster than it takes for the whole line to be read aloud, so it'd slow down my playtime, and I don't think I'd enjoy hearing lines from every Youngster and Lass, but I wouldn't mind having the option for other players.

Personally I'd be against it. Not because I have anything against voice acting, but because if you voice act one line, there tends to be an expectation that All lines are voice acted, which is a significant drain on developmental resources that in my opinion would be better spent on things like ensuring they get all the Pokemon in there, ensuring all Pokemon are animated in the overworld, and so forth. If Sword and Shield had no issues with things seeming rushed, underdeveloped, or missing, then I'd say heck yeah, bring on the voice acting. As it is, I'd hate to see it take away time and resources from other things which I would personally care a lot more about. Not to mention, when voice acting comes into play, total lines of dialogue tends to shrink, for obvious reasons. I'd rather have more text with more lore about Pokemon rather than fewer lines, even if they are superbly voice acted.

Just my 2 cents and my preference.

but because if you voice act one line, there tends to be an expectation that All lines are voice acted, which is a significant drain on developmental resources
Pokemon hasn't set a precedent of having all voice acted lines so I honestly don't think a large amount of people will be upset that the game lacks total voice acting. I mean, not even the lack of all Pokemon severely hampered the sales of SwSh, which is something people expected, and that has been the standard for over a decade.

I figure voice acting could be reserved for just major cutscenes, such as Rose's beginning speech or Piers' songs, without causing much fuss nor a large drain in resources.
Not to mention, when voice acting comes into play, total lines of dialogue tends to shrink, for obvious reasons. I'd rather have more text with more lore about Pokemon rather than fewer lines, even if they are superbly voice acted.
I feel like plenty of games with voice acting also had lots of dialogue, or, at least, not a significant amount less than Pokemon so I feel that voice acting would have a small to negligible effect on the amount of dialogue, especially if not every line is voice acted.

Last edited:
Pokemon hasn't set a precedent of having all voice acted lines so I honestly don't think a large amount of people will be upset that the game lacks total voice acting. I mean, not even the lack of all Pokemon severely hampered the sales of SwSh, which is something people expected, and that has been the standard for over a decade.

I figure voice acting could be reserved for just major cutscenes, such as Rose's beginning speech or Piers' songs, without causing much fuss nor a large drain in resources.

I feel like plenty of games with voice acting also had lots of dialogue, or, at least, not a significant amount less than Pokemon so I feel that voice acting would have a small to negligible effect on the amount of dialogue, especially if not every line is voice acted.

I felt the same way, when other game series I am fond of introduced voice acting, namely RPGs. I made those same arguments at the time. I've seen this play out on numerous occasions, and unfortunately, it didn't play out as I had hoped. Maybe it would be different this time. I'm just saying historically, I've seen it play out the other way.

Edit: Also keep in mind that every line of dialogue needs to be voice acted in Every supported language, which at this time would be
  • Japanese
  • English
  • Spanish
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Korean
  • Chinese
This requires sourcing a voice actor (or voice actors, depending on the number of characters) for each of those languages, scheduling, studio time for each of them, and on and on it goes. It's not a simple process or one which is easily tacked on, and once the dialogue is recorded, it's basically locked in, and the dialogue can't be further modified. This seems like a minor thing, but it reduces the ability to rewrite and improve upon dialogue or lore if production time permits. You've got to get the script out in time for them to record it, and once it's in it's in. That might be one of the contributing factor for why you typically see a lower amount of dialogue, but of course that's speculation.

Last edited:
What about an option to turn off the voice acting? Is that a thing games even do? I'm sorta in between voice acting and no voice acting--the somewhat awkward mouth movements and especially Piers' performances made me more warm to the idea--where depending on the situation I may or may not want it. Having the option would be a win-win for everyone.

Piers' "performances" were definitely a bit awkward - having one song would have been fine and not been a massive drain on the development resources. Or they could have gone Splatoon like and had a gibberish language so it at least sounded like someone was singing.

I got a change. How bout getting rid of that dumb ban on home transferred pokemon in ranked. I bred that Incineroar myself, to not use makes me question what was even the point of transferring him

Dazzling additionaly blocking
semi-invulnerable moves. From hitting not protective turn.

Obstruct is a sound move? it looks that way... maybe Sound moves and Soundproof users should be able to hit it?
reducing 1 stage attack is not enough, make it reduce sp. attack or attack based on the move used...

Would make Block come back and work like Cursed Body or Disable...

Pursuit adittionaly hiting a pokemon before going in its semi-turn from semi invulnerable move... also hitting a pokemon that switched places in double battles activating the extra damage effect...

Runaway would get competitive use in beeing immune to the move Pursuit and from biding and trapping moves continus effect allowing them to switch out naturally. Also would alllow to escape Arena Trap... then would change that switching moves (u-turn , voltswitch, partying shot) dont escape all trapping moves like making Spirit shackle a always trapping move, that only ghost , normal pokemon and runaway users can escape....

Prankster , Clear Body users would be immune to Pursuits effect...

Clear Body , Liquid ooze, Magma armor and Overcoat users would be immune to stealth rocks

abilities like static, flamebody and contact would always activate while being hit by Pursuit...

Magma Armor would additionally gain immunity to all biting moves and cause damage to target that uses it against the user of Magma Armor.

Last edited:
- Post game increases the level of All wild pokemon to 60, not just in the wild area
Nooooooo. I hated that in the wild area. It just made every Pokémon harder and more annoying to catch, and hatching eggs there more frustrating.
It would also annoy me. I like to catch things at the lowest levels possible and then evolve at the right level or at the earliest time possible, so I wouldn't like it either.
It also makes raising weaker Pokémon (especially those hatched from eggs) less exciting since you can't really battle with them for a while.

If there was a way to toggle that level scaling on and off, I'd be mroe open to the idea, but forcing that on the players would be more trouble than it's worth.

Would make Anticipation allow the user to use Disable, Encore, Spite, Torment react to that move it reveals when the user moves first before the target can.
Yes please! As it is, Anticipation is currently a useless ability under most circumstances. This would make the ability much more worth it in the long run, especially if it helps those those moves become more viable.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom