• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Changes/Additions you would make in an update to SwSh

I would make it so Water types can't be burned.

water types have healing moves and abilities for healing that ... some buffs but not whole type.
water but not skin and biological tissue...

we have abilities against burn, maybe check what ones...

know, but it makes no sense Water types can get burned, while Grass and Electric types cannot be hurt by Stun Spore.

Pokémon with the Water Veil, Water Bubble, or Comatose Abilities are completely immune to being burned. Pokémon with the Ability Heatproof will only lose half the HP each turn, Pokémon with Leaf Guard will be protected from status conditions in harsh sunlight. Pokémon with Guts are immune to the damage-reducing side effect (in addition to the regular attack increase the Ability grants), while Pokémon with Magic Guard are immune to the HP loss (but still suffer from the attack drop).
The moves Safeguard and Misty Terrain (for grounded Pokémon) will protect the party from status conditions for five turns. A Pokémon behind a substitute cannot be burned, except due to Synchronize or a held Flame Orb.

Shed skin removes burn, but the chance of shed skin should raise... during rain or hail the burn damage could be smaller.

If Sparkling Aria would heal the user too, maybe Life Dew could do that too?

ps. grass i understand to be immune to grass inducing paralysis, electricity may protect from that effect if you think about it.

next we should get a steel, electric, dragon and a poison move that causes a burn because those typings make totally sense

Last edited:
Pokémon with the Water Veil, Water Bubble, or Comatose Abilities are completely immune to being burned. Pokémon with the Ability Heatproof will only lose half the HP each turn, Pokémon with Leaf Guard will be protected from status conditions in harsh sunlight. Pokémon with Guts are immune to the damage-reducing side effect (in addition to the regular attack increase the Ability grants), while Pokémon with Magic Guard are immune to the HP loss (but still suffer from the attack drop).
The moves Safeguard and Misty Terrain (for grounded Pokémon) will protect the party from status conditions for five turns. A Pokémon behind a substitute cannot be burned, except due to Synchronize or a held Flame Orb.

If Sparkling Aria would heal the user too, maybe Life Dew could do that too?

ps. grass i understand to be immune to grass inducing paralysis, electricity may protect from that effect if it causes it.

That relies on abilities though.

It just doesn't make sense that a type that is supposed to take out Fires, can be burned by it.

That relies on abilities though.

It just doesn't make sense that a type that is supposed to take out Fires, can be burned by it.

makes sense taking some have fur and they are on land and the water evaporates from their bodies naturaly... you forget water has its own weather?

A burn can be cured with the use of a Burn Heal, Yago Berry (Generation III only), or a Rawst Berry (Ice Berry in Generation II). In addition, like all other major status conditions, it can be cured by the items Full Heal, Rage Candy Bar, Lava Cookie, Old Gateau, Casteliacone, Lumiose Galette, Shalour Sable, Big Malasada, Full Restore, Heal Powder, Lum Berry (MiracleBerry in Generation II), and Sacred Ash.
The moves Refresh and Rest remove the burn status condition from the user, Heal Bell (unless the Pokémon has Soundproof as their Ability in Generation III and IV) and Aromatherapy remove it from all Pokémon in the user's party, and Sparkling Aria removes it from every Pokémon it hits (unless the Pokémon takes no damage from the move). In addition, the move Psycho Shift shifts the burn onto its target (thereby healing the user). In Generation I only, using Haze cures the opponent from a burn.
Pokémon with Natural Cure will be cured upon switching out, those with the Hydration Ability will be cured whilst it is raining. Pokémon with Shed Skin have a 30% chance of being cured every turn, and Pokémon with Healer have a 1/3 chance of curing their allies.

I hope also Steamroller comes back modified seeing they created a Steel roller move that made me think a lot...

maybe the cut Steamroller because its name was misleading ? to ground? why didnt they let more rolling ground types learn that?
Donphan?

Last edited:
Yeah, but it doesn't make sense that Water types can be burned, while Fire types can not (While Water is used to take out fires).
Water isn’t really enough to take out most fires. Stuff like electrical fires and oil fires are immune to water. It helps but certainly isn’t fully effective. That’s why water type isn’t outright immune to fire.
Fire types are already adjusted to the extreme temperatures that deal out burns whereas water types aren't.

At least 10-20gb of extra content for the post game, because it's more lacking than a man without a gun on O Block

It's just too much to list, gotta see what the DLC is looking like first

The most obvious one I'd pick would be to add all the Pokemon into the game that got cut out, but since that's a point of controversy, I'm gonna suggest some other stuff:

1. Get rid of the EXP candies. These are way too helpful and make training completely pointless.
2. Have Pokemon Jobs offer more rewards.
3. Bring back Pokemon following you around.
4. Bring back the option to pet your Pokemon a la Pokemon Amie and the features from Pokemon Refresh, like brushing.
5. Put in the option to run away from Dynamax Pokemon battles if you find yourself unable to handle it.

This itself is a lazy assumption.

When developing a game, it's good to try to be economical where possible. Consider that the Wild Area is a centerpiece feature of these games - in such a wide expanse, most players are going to be traveling by bike a lot of the time. Since there are areas like the Lake of Outrage and the Axew's Eye that can only be accessed by crossing the water, as well as Pokémon Dens situated in the middle of lakes, it makes good sense to have a smooth transition from land travel to water travel. Integrating the "surf" mechanic into the bike streamlines mobility so that players don't have to dismount their bikes and summon a dedicated Pokémon or deal with a sequence of text boxes whenever they want to go on water.

What I do find strange about the Rotom Bike is its "lore," for lack of a better term. By comparison, the Corviknight Taxi service and even the rail systems are built into the setting in a way that makes sense and adds a degree of worldbuilding - you can easily see how these services would play a significant role in Galar's day-to-day lifestyle, as well as the region's commercial economy. But despite the prominence of Rotom-based technology in Galar, the Rotom Bike is not actually something well-known - in fact, the one you receive is the first of its kind, invented by some random "scientist" (who uses a Doctor skin for some reason) who finds himself twice being menaced by Team Yell. It's bizarrely circumstantial, when it would make perfect sense for one of Galar's many corporations to capitalize on the demand that people exploring the Wild Area would naturally create for bikes. You could easily tie it in with Rose's business conglomerate, especially since it's League staffers who host the Rotom Rally. Simply have Macro Cosmos issue new bikes to Gym Challengers for free upon reaching a certain checkpoint in the Gym Challenge (and then upgrading it for water travel at a later checkpoint), while selling them on the market for non-Challengers.

There still is a transition from the land bike to the water bike. It's a different model, with an animation depicting the transition in between.

Now, because it's such a minor difference, it's easy to have fast transitions, which is nice when crossing narrow bodies of water or if someone is just cutting across the corner of a lake. Compare that to my ideal, for example. I would want you to have 3 Pokemon you select from your party or boxes - one a land Pokemon, one a Water Pokemon, and one a Flying Pokemon. The Flying one would swoop down and you'd fly off with it when flying from place to place. The Land one you'd ride instead of the bike while on land, and the water one you'd surf on top of at sea.

All of this is way slower and takes far more work. Especially transitioning from land to water - I'd imagine you'd jump off the back of the land pokemon as it pulled up short. You'd whip one Pokeball off your belt with one hand, and the Pokemon on land would zip into it as another Pokeball in your other hand materialized a water Pokemon in the sea just in time for you to land on it. During all of that, you wouldn't be able to cancel the animation, which would make the barrier between land and sea a harder one and the transition more deliberate. I also think it would be way, WAY cooler. I'd want the lead Pokemon in your party to follow you when not riding a Pokemon as well. I don't think too many people with disagree with the idea that it would be awesome, as long as there weren't a lot of downsides, and I think most would accept the slower and more deliberate transition from land to sea in exchange for that.

It's possible we don't have that because of a desire for a smoother and faster transition to the water. I disagree you'd need text boxes or dismounting then manual surf selection though - I see no reason to not have the surf pokemon preselected and auto-surf when walking onto water, that's effectively what happens already anyway, it's just that the "pre-selected pokemon" is a bike. But certainly, regardless of how it's done, it'll be slower than the current model transition on the bike.

It's far more likely that it's an enormous amount of work, and they already were short staffed and overworked, and had to cut a ton to push it out. Tacking on such a major system would require time and money that their company or Nintendo was not willing to spend. To that end, I certainly would argue that some would call that "lazy". Whether or not it actually is certainly is up for discussion, but ultimately I think it's fair to say at least in part that it required work they were not willing to do.

Regardless, though, I think there's an aspect to the trade off that I think most are not considering. Right now, when you go online, tons of random other folks that are online load up with you. They appear in an approximation of their location on the world map in real time, and with their in game character customizations present. That means that it's not just loading prebuilt models like it would be with a Pokemon or a character, they're loading the model, skin tone, hair style and color, clothes, and so forth for each other person that appears in game. All of this requires a tremendous amount of resources and the whole thing barely works. To add in all of them riding around on Pokemon or having Pokemon following them? It's too much.

However, let's say they hadn't gone that direction at all. Given the choice, which would you personally rather? Random people who don't even have collision inhabiting your world like pseudo-ghosts, and running around, not able to be directly interacted with? Or riding and surfing on Pokemon instead of bikes, and having your lead Pokemon follow you when not mounted? There are definitely trade offs at play in terms of resources expended and features implemented, and I'm not sure they made the right choice.

The same goes for Pokemon models. Let's say they used more complex models for the Pokemon on the field, and / or more complex animations. However as a trade off, they had to reduce the total model count, so they couldn't have the crazy, horde numbers of overworld Pokemon appearing. Would that be worth it, to you? I know it would be Easily worth it to me. I'd greatly prefer it, in fact, I think there should be fewer overworld pokemon in a tiny patch of grass anyway. I know it's easy to monday morning quarterback, and there's a great deal we don't have visibility to which influenced the decision making of both Game Freak and Nintendo. I'm just saying, there is ample evidence of decisions being made which reduced production time and resource expenditure which I personally disagree with. If there is a better moniker for someone's unwillingness to spend the time or money to do something "right" than laziness, I'm not aware of it. So I can see it both ways.

As far as the lore thing, I 100% agree, and it's also weird that it's something so rare, not otherwise present in the world beyond you, when you see dozens to hundreds of them zipping around at a time on those random ghosts. It makes the decision to display other players even more bizarre in my eyes. The only in game lore which could justify their presence is if they are ghosts or phantoms from alternate timelines which no one ever talks about, so it breaks immersion terribly for them to be present. Why have dozens of bikes zipping around in a world which does not have bike shops? Why not change and include a bike shop instead once you know that the display of other players is going to be in the game? Why have a Rotom Rally and uniforms when by lore there's only a single prototype Rotom bike in existence? Could've made better decisions, just saying.

GameFreak to finally notice that kids play hardcore and want a challenge as much as the older playerbase.

2. Have Pokemon Jobs offer more rewards.

you know, i don't think i've ever used pokemon jobs in all of my time playing swsh. supposedly it's for EV training, but it's also a super slow method of it when i can just buy vitamins and go that route, instead. there's pretty much no incentive of any sort for it? it's a cute idea, but the execution left much to be desired. i keep forgetting it's even a thing, sadly.

you know, i don't think i've ever used pokemon jobs in all of my time playing swsh. supposedly it's for EV training, but it's also a super slow method of it when i can just buy vitamins and go that route, instead. there's pretty much no incentive of any sort for it? it's a cute idea, but the execution left much to be desired. i keep forgetting it's even a thing, sadly.

It’s not just for EV training. There are specific courses that focus on EVs, but most Jobs just give Exp. points, plus a bonus item or cash reward. It’s mainly designed as a way to passively level up Pokémon that you aren’t actively using on your team.

But yeah, I pretty much never used it either.

I found the way that Pokémon on jobs returned to boxes was too annoying while I was trying to build my Galar dex so I didn’t use the feature after an initial play around to see how it worked.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom