• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Changes/Additions you would make in an update to SwSh

I think we need to think about accessibility. Pokémon is a videogame where people with motor problems can play rather easily. Adding button combinations in an important thing like an attack would ruin that aspect of the game.
My opinion
The mandatory motion controls in docked mode in the let's go games made those games inaccessible to people with motor problems. I remember a few posts talking about that when the games first came out

The mandatory motion controls in docked mode in the let's go games made those games inaccessible to people with motor problems. I remember a few posts talking about that when the games first came out
Exactly. Pokémon needs to think about this. The Last of Us 2 is a perfect example how accessibility can be done right!

Maybe change the way certain Pokemon behave in the wild depending on which Pokemon you’re taking for a stroll. For example, if you have a Mandibuzz out then Cubone will run away from you. But if you have a Seviper out, this will cause a wild Zangoose to become hostile and chase after you.

Replaying through Sword again makes me wish the game had voice acting. It could help with the opening cutscene and others.
( Looks at Pier's Singing Cutscene )

Anyway, I want Battle Videos back. I dunno about the people here, but I'm a competitive player, and I loved to keep Battle Videos, like for some of my best matches, like the time my Alolan Sandslash swept 3-0 under hail in Battle Stadium Singles, or when I had a 50 turn match in VGC 2019 where my Soak Shedinja managed to stall out Xerneas and Incineroar. They were also great to show off battles or how a team works.

But then SwSh removed them completely. I was really sad. I've been told they were removed because they were hosted on the GTS, and since the GTS was removed, they thought it wasn't worth recoding because not many people used it. Another feature removed just because it wasn't popular. Just because something wasn't popular does not mean you should remove it- Through that logic, every side activity should be removed because its not popular as battling.

Another feature removed just because it wasn't popular. Just because something wasn't popular does not mean you should remove it- Through that logic, every side activity should be removed because its not popular as battling.

Whose saying it's "just because it wasn't popular," as if they arbitrarily singled it out and went "Wow, VS Recorder, you're such a loser, get out of here"?

Popularity/degree of use is going to be an important factor if the amount of time or resources it will take to maintain something is being weighted against the question of whether their efforts would be better spent elsewhere.

kind of tangentially related but i didn't like how Game Freak handled battle videos before. i think how it used to be in some older generations was that you can only record battle videos at post-game battle facilities, which is okay, but i'd like to see that hopefully expanded upon pretty much any battle. i think some gym leader and elite four battles can be pretty cool to look back upon, too!

In speaking of expanding features, I would like to see other players having their Pokemon following them. While it is a good thing that Game Freak has brought back following Pokemon. Feeling like the only player who has a Pokemon following him feels boring. Hopefully the Crown Tundra will expand on it as well as giving the option to have it on or not, much like how there's an option to turn off following Pokemon in the Isle of Armor.

My biggest issues with Sword and Shield are the paywalls, the fact that the Max Raid battles aren't very single-player-friendly, and Gigantamax Pokemon being too difficult to obtain, so I'd improve those things first and foremost. I'd also streamline the story by removing at least half of the dialogue interuptions, and by having the main legendary be captured during the main quest instead of as part of a long-winded postgame narrative.

While I wasn't as upset by Dexit as some fans were, the games would undeniably be better if every Pokemon was programmed in.

Pokemon HOME has also impacted my experience of Sword and Shield in a negative way, so I'd improve that too. Under no circumstances should an event Pokemon - or any feature, for that matter - be exclusive to smartphone users.

It's a shame that the games have so many flaws, because when it comes to the region itself and the new Pokemon that were introduced, this is my all time favourite generation.

Last edited:
While I wasn't as upset by Dexit as some fans were, the games would undeniably be better if every Pokemon was programmed in.

I would actually be very much for a well-tailored Pokedex to give a more specific playthrough experience. My angst-inducing issues with Dexit were A: the charitably ambiguous future of the rest of the 'Dex (I say charitably because at least one individual went on record to say the remaining species wouldn't be coming to S&S at all) and B: the awful selection of species on offer, with a huge range of more obviously popular lines sequestered for DLC.

Come to think of it, that might be the most specific change I'd make beyond a broader 'more polish'. Galar has no fewer than five three-stage Grass lines - dump one of them for an Ampharos or Magnezone. Why does Galar need both the Hitmons and Sawk and Throh? Ditch the latter two for some combination of Pinsir, Scyther, Heracross and Scizor. Leave behind the terrible duality of Solrock and Lunatone, and get in the likes of Donphan and Ursaring.

I just realized I'd completely forgotten about model scaling! I'd improve that too. The fact that Let's Go already fixed this, as well as the fact that Sword and Shield's main mechanic revolves around Pokemon sizes, makes the problem all the more conspicuous. According to the Pokedex, Eternatus in its regular form is taller than Gigantamax Butterfree, and Wailord is taller than Gigantamax Corviknight, but you wouldn't think so looking at the models.

I would actually be very much for a well-tailored Pokedex to give a more specific playthrough experience. My angst-inducing issues with Dexit were A: the charitably ambiguous future of the rest of the 'Dex (I say charitably because at least one individual went on record to say the remaining species wouldn't be coming to S&S at all) and B: the awful selection of species on offer, with a huge range of more obviously popular lines sequestered for DLC.

Come to think of it, that might be the most specific change I'd make beyond a broader 'more polish'. Galar has no fewer than five three-stage Grass lines - dump one of them for an Ampharos or Magnezone. Why does Galar need both the Hitmons and Sawk and Throh? Ditch the latter two for some combination of Pinsir, Scyther, Heracross and Scizor. Leave behind the terrible duality of Solrock and Lunatone, and get in the likes of Donphan and Ursaring.

I have noticed there are quite a few Pokemon in Galar that are similar to one another. If Kingler is there and gets a new form, does Crawdaunt need to be there too? Do we really need Magikarp, Feebas, Goldeen and Basculin?

Honestly, I would've just given Basculin an evolution then ditch Magikarp and Goldeen so fish Pokemon from later generations can have their chance to shine.

I just realized I'd completely forgotten about model scaling! I'd improve that too. The fact that Let's Go already fixed this, as well as the fact that Sword and Shield's main mechanic revolves around Pokemon sizes, makes the problem all the more conspicuous. According to the Pokedex, Eternatus in its regular form is taller than Gigantamax Butterfree, and Wailord is taller than Gigantamax Corviknight, but you wouldn't think so looking at the models.

To be fair, while I don't like it either, I'm not sure they really see it as something to "fix," considering that it actually takes more work (not extraordinarily so, from what I understand, but still) to scale them than it does to simply leave them at their native sizes.

That said, Dynamax/huge Pokémon being a key aesthetic of these games is a point where I think it actually does kinda make sense, from a certain presentational perspective, to have the regular, un-Dynamaxed Pokémon be comparatively much smaller, even if they are "supposed" to be very large. If Eternatus appeared in its normal size, for instance, against Gigantamax Butterfree, that would rather dilute the visual impact of the latter's transformation, plus it might make it unclear (more so for younger players) as to whether or not Eternatus/other naturally large Pokémon are currently Dynamaxed if they're dwarfing the opponent's Dynamaxed Pokémon.

I have noticed there are quite a few Pokemon in Galar that are similar to one another. If Kingler is there and gets a new form, does Crawdaunt need to be there too? Do we really need Magikarp, Feebas, Goldeen and Basculin?

I would think it's less about Pokémon based on the same kind of animal, and more about ones that fill a similar niche. Kingler vs. Crawdaunt "because they're both crabs" doesn't seem as relevant to me as, say, Crawdaunt vs. Sharpedo "because they're both offensively-focused Water/Dark types," and indeed, only one of those two made the cut (until The Isle of Armor, anyway).

I would put in Gogoat and Grumpig and bring an area that is similar to the gameplay of Pokémon Stadium 1/2 into the game.

At this point, they should update the game and bring walking pokemon to the whole of Galar and also update the environments of the wild area as opposed to simply changing the raid battles (which I don't care for).

I would actually be very much for a well-tailored Pokedex to give a more specific playthrough experience.
Well, both demands can be accommodated by having a well tailored Pokedex be the natives and allow the rest via trading and transfer. People who need the tailored Pokedex get that and the rest can use transfers/trading for their custom teams if they wish to do so.

Well, both demands can be accommodated by having a well tailored Pokedex be the natives and allow the rest via trading and transfer. People who need the tailored Pokedex get that and the rest can use transfers/trading for their custom teams if they wish to do so.

Yea the problem really isn't that they aren't in the Galar environ. The problem is that you can't even bring everyone in with TWO paid services (Bank + Home).

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom