• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Changes to your rival's/Wally's team(s)? Anything you would like see?

Sniiiimon

Reaction score
Heya, the name's Sniiiimon; long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Anywho, now that we know that the remakes (sequels?) are coming, I would like to hear your thoughts on your rival's and Wally's teams... personally, I have always found them... less than awesome.

The rival, that is to say, Brendan and May, never felt like a true threat. Their personalities (May's even more so) and teams always felt so... meek, to me. I hope the remakes (if that's what they are) will fix this. Let their starter evolve all the way and fill out their team, I say!

Now, Wally's was better, but I think one more Pokémon on his team would do him, and us, good... and let us fight him more than twice, sheesh! Also, I would like to see his Ralts evolve into a Gallade and his Roselia into a Roserade. If they're in the Pokédex. Which I hope.

What are your thoughts on this matter, if any?

Hmm...they could keep Gardevoir and give him a Mega Gardevoir. Assuming we get Mega Gallade (more like hoping on my end), he could either get a Gallade or Gardevoir depending on the game version or character gender. And he can now get a Magnezone. And there's a slot left for a sixth Pokémon...maybe a Kalos Pokémon that he only has in rematches?

Make Wally the more prominent rival if focus is to be given to one of them. Otherwise, Black/White proves they can manage two rivals properly just fine now, giving both of them focus and development. I never cared much for Brendan/May as rivals, but if done right they may become more interesting. Wally just needs much, much more screen time.

If Brendan/May stick around, a full team is a must, with proper fully evolved Pokémon as well. Wally can also get the unselected starter from Birch (They meet somewhere and Wally helps Birch or some such so he's impressed and gives him that starter) for his full team. Magnezone and Roserade should be in his team after the post-game rematches. As for Gardevoir, it can go two ways: either it turns into a Gallade (Always male after all) or it's Mega Gardevoir. Or Mega Gallade if they add it in the game.

In all, Brendan/May need to not quit, and Wally needs much more appearances. They can even help during the crisis, or at least Wally.

In all, Brendan/May need to not quit

No, they can still quit, but we just need to see them again. Maybe it's a battle "for old times' sake" or something. Or they do pokemon contests. Really anything besides disappearing.

As long as they give Brendan/May a proper team consisting of six fully evolved Pokémon and let us battle them a few more times I'll be happy. They never felt like a true rival, despite supposedly being one.

A think a good rival team would be this
Starter w/Mega Evolution
Swellow
Aggron
Flygon
Torkoal
Wailord or
Breloom

Hmm...they could keep Gardevoir and give him a Mega Gardevoir. Assuming we get Mega Gallade (more like hoping on my end), he could either get a Gallade or Gardevoir depending on the game version or character gender.
That wouldn't make any sense, since Gardevoir isn't exclusively female. Also, Ralts/Gardevoir is already heavily tied to the character, they shouldn't mess with that. Gardevoir is his signature Pokémon. I will be a sad panda if I fight him in the Victory Road and he doesn't have a Gardevoir (or Mega Gardevoir in his team. Anyway, I just want him to appear and battle the MC more often. Like, Bianca/Cheren's level of often. His team should be:

Altaria
Roserade
Magnezone
Delcatty (could be swapped for something better)
Some other random Pokémon
(Mega) Gardevoir

At the very least, Brendan/ May and Wally should be postgame bonus bosses with full teams.

I do hope Wally gets Mega Gardevoir, I think he'd put it to better use than Diantha. Besides that, I think his original team from R/S/E will do fine. Perhaps another Dragon type besides Altaria could be a cool addition; Salamence, anyone?

As for Brendan/May, they at one point decide to help Professor Birch rather than continue battling. I think that maybe as a post-game challenge, their team could include all three fully-evolved Hoenn starters, and a few other high-tier Pokemon like Milotic or Metagross.

I want Wally to actually have a full team of six when the player encounters him at Victory Road; while we're on the subject, he should really have more than a lv.16 Ralts when he challenges the player to a battle in Mauville.

Perhaps something to this effect:

• Kirlia lv.20 (why not? Brendan/May's starter is at lv.20 during the Route 110 battle)
  • Budew/Roselia lv.16
  • Skitty lv.16
Or just a lone Kirlia at lv.20 - anything is better a lone Ralts.

EDIT:
I disagree with this, actually. He's supposed to be naive in Mauville and have a lack of understanding of what it takes to be a pokemon trainer. It's supposed to be an easy victory.
Ah, right. Gotcha, I forgot about that. My apologies.

--------------------
Same goes for Brendan/May - A team composed of only four mons, the highest levelled member of which isn't even fully evolved was incredibly disappointing for a "final rival battle".

Personally, I'd set it up like this:

Brendan/May
[Fully-evolved starter] lv.36
[Wailmer/Ludicolo] lv.34
[Camerupt/Slugma] lv.34
[Tropius/Breloom] lv.34
[Swellow/Pelipper] lv.35
[Filler] lv.34

Last edited:
I want Wally to actually have a full team of six when the player encounters him at Victory Road; while we're on the subject, he should really have more than a lv.16 Ralts when he challenges the player to a battle in Mauville.

Perhaps something to this effect:

• Kirlia lv.20 (why not? Brendan/May's starter is at lv.20 during the Route 110 battle)
  • Budew/Roselia lv.16
  • Skitty lv.16
Or just a lone Kirlia at lv.20 - anything is better a lone Ralts.
I disagree with this, actually. He's supposed to be naive in Mauville and have a lack of understanding of what it takes to be a pokemon trainer. It's supposed to be an easy victory.

I do think you should fight him again before Victory Road, though! Perhaps in that jungle southeast of Fortree. THEN he can have Kirlia/Delcatty/Roselia or something.

All I want is for them both to have full teams of six and be battled daily when you beat the game. I really don't care what they are, though Wally should keep his Gardevoir and have its Mega Stone.

May and Brendan need to fight me more and not randomly give up like punks. 6v6, fully evolved starter, Brendan.

First and foremost, full teams of 6 for both rivals.

Fully evolved starters for Brendan/May definitely. If they're going to bring back some of the Pokémon they initially had from RS, I like to see a fully evolved Wailord/Breloom/Camerupt. If they go with Emerald, Ludicolo/Magcargo/Pelipper will do. But since these are RS remakes, I'm assuming the former group is more likely. Then they could bring back Swellow or Tropius, but I'm honestly not sure which. Swellow would be better to avoid doubling up on grass-types since they'll always have another grass-type. But at the same time, Tropius is cooler. I really wouldn't care which to be honest. Anyway, as for the last two. I really don't know. The only things that really stick out to me are the fossils (since Calem/Serena didn't use there fossils, I think these guys could), Manectric for some electric coverage and mega evo, Salamence/Flygon for some dragon coverage or something that can mega evolve that's neither Manectric or Gardevoir (doesn't have to be a gen 3 mon). Any 2 of these will work for me, but like I said, it doesn't really matter.

As for Wally, Mega evolving Gardevoir please. They could even give him an upgraded plot that involves mega evolution. As for his other pokes, they can stay the same for all I care. Maybe he could evolve his Roselia and Magneton, though I figure they'll want to emphasize gen 3 more. Maybe in rematches. For a sixth member, anything really. Maybe a fire-type. His team pretty much sucks against steel-types.

A list of an ideal team for both Rival's teams.

Wally:
  • Gallade (Mega?)
  • Stronger Starter
  • Roserade/Wailord/Camerupt (Weak against your starter)
  • Exploud(?)/Stoutland(?)
  • Magnezone
  • Altaria

Rival:
  • Weaker Starter
  • Ludicolo/Macargo/Breloom(?)
  • Macargo/Breloom(?)/Ludicolo
  • Dusknoir(?)
  • Florges(?)
  • Flygon

Wally's team can remain mostly the same, but how about replacing Magneton with Magnezone and Roselia with Roserade?

The only change that I could see him getting is a Mega Gardevoir, now that would be interesting!

I think Wally's sixth Pokemon should be either Cacturne, Flygon or Kecleon (with Protean). This way it stays true to his preference of green Pokemon. Doesn't hurt that he also owns all three in the manga as well.

Make Wally the more prominent rival if focus is to be given to one of them. Otherwise, Black/White proves they can manage two rivals properly just fine now, giving both of them focus and development. I never cared much for Brendan/May as rivals, but if done right they may become more interesting. Wally just needs much, much more screen time.

XY on the other hand, was not handled well. They didn't even develop your main rivalry that well other than giving them an inferiority complex.

I don't necessarily think Wally needs more screen time. He was way more developed than the other XY friends, despite his lack of appearances, mostly due to second-hand comments from his family. I think it serves his character well--he's supposed to be this sickly kid who ran away, and everything's a big mystery up until the final chapters of your journey where you finally meet him as a full fledged trainer. If anything, they should add more second-hand comments suggesting Wally's growth. Just make him this mysterious character that makes new players go "That can't really be that wiener we helped earlier, could it?" As for his team, its unfortunate that Diantha had to one-up him by not only taking his main Pokemon, but also getting its Mega. I'd much prefer Wally keep a male Gardevoir, but for the purposes of making him unique, give him a Gallade (even if it never evolves). I do support more Wally meetings in the post-game though.

Another character (well characters) I want expanded on is the Winstrate family. I want them to get unique artwork and for Vito to be another rival. I understand why people you start your journey on becomes your rival, but it never makes sense that you don't make more rivalry along the way. I'd like Vito to be another rival, but in an initial battle, he just "tests" his skills on you not using his strongest Pokemon.

I think Wally's sixth Pokemon should be either Cacturne, Flygon or Kecleon (with Protean). This way it stays true to his preference of green Pokemon. Doesn't hurt that he also owns all three in the manga as well.

His game-canon doesn't have a preference for green Pokemon.

Wally having a Gallade would be better. I think it represents him better because he starts as a sickly, weak boy (Ralts) to a strong battler (Gallade)... and Gallade kinda represents 'battle' more than Gardevoir, which is more graceful in terms of looks. Also, Gallade evolves by the Dawn Stone, which means "Enlightenment" or "Awakening" in a way, so it shows how Wally grows to present his full potential that he had in him all along.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom