• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Changes to your rival's/Wally's team(s)? Anything you would like see?

Wally needs more appearances and a stronger team. Say replace Decatty with Donphan evolve Magneton and Roselia, and give him a newer threat post game. I say give the Birch kid the rs team for less reduncy Claydol and Malectric.

There's another reason I think they may replace Wally's Gardevoir with Gallade.

Gardevoir, while originally Wally's strongest pokemon, is now Diantha's signature pokemon. I know there are NPCs that share signature pokemons (like Maylene and Riley having a Lucario), but champions rarely share signature pokemons with others. Blue (the other starter/eeveelution), Lance (Dragonite), Steven (Metagross), Wallace (Milotic), Cynthia (Garshomp), Alder (Volcarona), Iris (Haxorus) - their signature pokemons aren't shared among other NPCs. So I'm thinking it may be highly unlikely for Wally to share a signature pokemon with a champion in another region.

Besides, it's not as if it's impossible. Wally has a male Ralts.

Gardevoir, while originally Wally's strongest pokemon, is now Diantha's signature pokemon. I know there are NPCs that share signature pokemons (like Maylene and Riley having a Lucario), but champions rarely share signature pokemons with others. Blue (the other starter/eeveelution), Lance (Dragonite), Steven (Metagross), Wallace (Milotic), Cynthia (Garshomp), Alder (Volcarona), Iris (Haxorus) - their signature pokemons aren't shared among other NPCs. So I'm thinking it may be highly unlikely for Wally to share a signature pokemon with a champion in another region.
Iris does share her signature Pokémon with Drayden, though. Also, if we count Blue's Gym Leader role in HGSS, his strongest Pokémon, Pidgeot, is shared as a signature with Falkner. But sure, one instance and a half don't exactly mark a trend.

Iris does share her signature Pokémon with Drayden, though. Also, if we count Blue's Gym Leader role in HGSS, his strongest Pokémon, Pidgeot, is shared as a signature with Falkner. But sure, one instance and a half don't exactly mark a trend.

Iris might be an exception to that, but then again, she was Drayden's pupil, and they shared the same gym in BW, so them sharing the same signature pokemon is understandable.

Back on topic, the rivals should seriously have fully evolved starters in the later part of the games. Since trading isn't much of a problem these days, it's not for the dex, but to make the rivals seem more like rivals.

Gardevoir, while originally Wally's strongest pokemon, is now Diantha's signature pokemon. I know there are NPCs that share signature pokemons (like Maylene and Riley having a Lucario), but champions rarely share signature pokemons with others. Blue (the other starter/eeveelution), Lance (Dragonite), Steven (Metagross), Wallace (Milotic), Cynthia (Garchomp), Alder (Volcarona), Iris (Haxorus) - their signature pokemons aren't shared among other NPCs. So I'm thinking it may be highly unlikely for Wally to share a signature pokemon with a champion in another region.

Iris might be an exception to that, but then again, she was Drayden's pupil, and they shared the same gym in BW, so them sharing the same signature pokemon is understandable.

Actually, Milotic and Dragonite are also used by Palmer, while Benga can have either Dragonite or Garchomp depending on the Version and a Volcarona.

Not that I'm really arguing either way; Wally can have Mega Gardevior or Gallade, I don't really have too much of an opinion on that.

Gardevoir, while originally Wally's strongest pokemon, is now Diantha's signature pokemon. I know there are NPCs that share signature pokemons (like Maylene and Riley having a Lucario), but champions rarely share signature pokemons with others. Blue (the other starter/eeveelution), Lance (Dragonite), Steven (Metagross), Wallace (Milotic), Cynthia (Garchomp), Alder (Volcarona), Iris (Haxorus) - their signature pokemons aren't shared among other NPCs. So I'm thinking it may be highly unlikely for Wally to share a signature pokemon with a champion in another region.

Actually, Milotic and Dragonite are also used by Palmer, while Benga can have either Dragonite or Garchomp depending on the Version and a Volcarona.

Not that I'm really arguing either way; Wally can have Mega Gardevior or Gallade, I don't really have too much of an opinion on that.
Just because an NPC simply uses a pokemon does not make the pokemon the NPC's signature. When you think of Cynthia, what pokemon immediately comes to mind? You're likely to think of her ace pokemon, her strongest pokemon, the pokemon that spells Cynthia - Garchomp.
Milotic and Dragonite are not signatures of Palmer. Benga might share Volcarona as his signature with Alder, seeing that he is his grandson. It could be a sign of inheritance, maybe.

Though yeah, it doesn't matter if Wally appears with a Gardevoir or Gallade. Just that it's probably unlikely for him to carry a signature pokemon of a champion he doesn't have to do with.

Just because an NPC simply uses a pokemon does not make the pokemon the NPC's signature. When you think of Cynthia, what pokemon immediately comes to mind? You're likely to think of her ace pokemon, her strongest pokemon, the pokemon that spells Cynthia - Garchomp.
Milotic and Dragonite are not signatures of Palmer. Benga might share Volcarona as his signature with Alder, seeing that he is his grandson. It could be a sign of inheritance, maybe.

Though yeah, it doesn't matter if Wally appears with a Gardevoir or Gallade. Just that it's probably unlikely for him to carry a signature pokemon of a champion he doesn't have to do with.

To be honest, when I think of Cynthia, I think of Spiritomb. I only now think of Garchomp because of the Anime. And I did think Milotic, at the very least, was Palmer's signature.

I think Gardevoir is more likely for Wally simply because it's always been his signature. I see it as more a sign of Wally than Diantha, personally. Diantha seems to have gotten Mega Gardevoir just because it's the most feminine looking Mega Evolution and it sort of complements her appearance, because it otherwise doesn't really fit with the rest of her team. I don't see the see connection with her as I do with Wally.

Gallade only seems to be an option because of the whole gender thing the games tend to do. And now with Diantha having a Gardevoir, they may see fit to give Wally a Gallade.

Well, for starters, while Brendan/May were NOT rivals (neither one made any attempt to collect badges or anything outside of collecting Dex data, though Brendan's lines did hint otherwise, to a degree), I would like to see them with full teams and a fully-evolved Starter. The biggest kicker for me with them was that they never evolved their Starter to its final stage. Both seemed rather... timid, compared to other characters. If they could remold them to be more like Cheren/Bianca, as well as give Wally more screentime, then that would be a huge improvement. BW proved that the GF can now handle more than one rival character, giving both sides equal development and good teams, without short-changing the other, so if they could go with that mindset, then Brendan/May and Wally could become greater characters.

Now, moving on, Wally should stay with Gardevoir. While Gardevoir is "technically" considered the female evolved form, male versions can still exist. Gardevoir is his signature Pokemon, so they should not mess with that. Maybe if they let him have a Mega Gardevoir, then that would be good, but leave Gardevoir alone, as Wally made it what it is today. It was Wally, after all, who helped shoot Gardevoir to its current status today, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now, let's discuss possible teams. Wally should gain access to the newer forms of certain Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Roserade (and hope that both are in main story mode), but should also have one more Pokemon. While his team was pretty good for its time, a sixth member should be in order. His team should stay as it was, but he should gain access to Magnezone and Roserade, or at least have them in post-game rematches, as well as one last member. As for Brendan/May, as I mentioned before, a fully-evolved Starter should be priority, and they both should have a full team, too. Back then, they also knew how to properly balance a team (ie: one Fire, one Water, one Grass, etc), so I'd like to see them expand on that. On top of that, while I'm not too fond of them "quitting" as they did before, I would at least like them to have post-game rematches for, as someone said here "for old time's sake", to make them more useful than just "quitting" and vanishing without a trace (well, not literally "vanishing", but becoming largely useless after their final battle). But above all, a fully-evolved Starter should be top priority, even if nothing else changes, if they can give us that, then I'll be generally satisfied (not totally, but at least it'd be better than nothing).

Also, like others have said, if at least one of them was more integrated into the plot, like tag-teaming with the player against Aqua/Magma, or generally assisting them in the quest outside of regular rival battles, then that would be a huge step up from before. I mean, Cheren, Hugh, Barry, Calem/Serena, and, to a degree, Shauna and Lucas/Dawn all played some part in the uprooting of the evil teams, not being totally useless otherwise. If the could merge them more with the center plot, then that would be a big step up for them.

If they could do at least some of this, then I'd be satisfied. If they could do all of it (though that's more wishful thinking), then I would be delighted. It won't stop me from getting the games, regardless, but if these ideas would be used, then that would make me more eager to get them. That's my two cents.

Wally's Ralts is a boy, so they should change it to a Gallade instead of Gardevoir. But if they keep his Gardevoir, then:

Gardevoir (Mega)
Roserade
Magnezone
Delcatty
Altaria

And for his sixth Pokémon, I have some options:
Linoone (as a tribute to our dad Norman for helping him catch Ralts in the first place)

Tropius (it's shown with him and his Altaria and Gardevoir [as Swablu and Kirlia, respectively] in GameFreak artwork)

Kecleon, Cacturne or Flygon (Pokémon he owns in the Pokémon Adventures manga)

The starter weaker to yours (in Pokémon Adventures he has a Treecko, and secondary rivals usually have a starter since Gen. 5)

All in all, that's 12 Pokémon (counting Gallade) so hopefully, he does a rotation of two teams' worth of Pokémon in the rematches.

They probably won't change the teams, but if they do, Wally needs more green.

I could imagine a post-game battle with the rivals, though. All around 60-65

Depending on starter:
Sceptile/Vileplume
Blaziken/Magcargo
Swampert/Wailord

The rest by gender (Bre/May):
Mightyena/Delcatty
Magneton/Aggron
Flygon/Altaria

I would like to have one battle with Wally between Mauville and Victory Road, but I still want him to be a pushover. In Mauville he has no clue how to battle, then when we meet him at VR he is sronger than any trainer you've battled (maybe outside Wallace/Juan). Give him one more apparance, I say around Fortree as was mentioned earlier would be excelent. Have him gain Budew and Magnemite and evolve Ralts to Kirlia and let them be in their mid 20's or something. It would show progress, but still leave the VR battle as an interesting development.

For May/Brendan, they might just beef the starter to it's final stage and I'm cool actually.

For rematches, at least make Wally an Über-strong rival post-Champion, rivaling Steeven in power. May/Brendan could be a coordinator.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom