• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Changing Battle Reuirements

MrMeowPuss

Reaction score
With Sky Battles being introduced in Gen VI and being only open to flying type Pokemon, it created a inconsistency of sorts within the game.

As We know only flying types are able to compete in Sky battles yet any Pokemon is able to battle while using Dive or even Surf. Does everyone think it should be changed so only Pokemkn who are at least part Water type can battle on water fields, or should it remain the same?

No. Sorry, but I don't like that idea. Also, theoretically, it could be standing on the Surfing Pokemon, just as you are. (I feel bad for all the Zigzagoons and Bidoofs that are HM Slaves now...)

Diving should be limited to the diver and Water-types, though. It makes more sense that way.

While I do find it odd that non-water-types are shown battling while standing on water, I don't think it should be changed. It would kind of force everyone to catch a water-type (or maybe, possibly a flying-type/Pokemon with levitate) and have it be a part of their team. I found it okay with Sky Battles since they weren't mandatory towards beating the game, which surfing normally is in some manner.

Dive I'm kind of iffy about. In a lot of media such as Pokemon Adventures and the anime, a lot of Pokemon seem to be able to breath underwater naturally. While I can't remember off the top of my head if this has been a thing mentioned in the main series games, having that in mind just makes me personally find it less weird that any Pokemon can battle underwater.

I find it even weirder that Pokemon were able to battle in space during Episode Delta... There's so much that has to be explained about that. I think the limitations of Sky Battles are to be a one-time thing, since any aerial battles during Soaring can be fought using normal Pokemon... somehow. Hey, they're mysterious creatures that can survive getting scorched by fire, frozen solid, and mind-screwed by Psychic types just fine, why should they be limited by the laws of physics??

I actually don't want battles on the waters surface to be restricted earlier. It makes more sense in a realistic way although it definitely would be annoying.

With Sky Battles it gets annoying, especially if you have Flying/Normal types going up against Emolga and other dual types.

Nah man Sky Battle suck as they are and they weren't like that in the original anyway

Maybe for Diving underwater there should be a limit to which pokemon are eligible to battle. For instance, it makes no in-universe sense that a Charmander can participate in a battle underwater and completely contradict EVERY pokedex entry about it dying should its tail-flame extinguish.

Surfing should definitely not have a restriction though, as it is too necessary to progress through the game using surf. It's bad enough that you need a Surfer in the party as it is, there they are taking up space. (Surf is a really decent move though, at least it's not Cut.) But yes, i imagine an Oddish can stand on a Lapras and battle a Tentacool. Bit strange when it's Groudon standing on a Goldeen. (How would it not sink???) Even so, that mechanic would be too limiting.

I find it even weirder that Pokemon were able to battle in space during Episode Delta... There's so much that has to be explained about that.

It's been said many times in the franchise that people believe Pokemon came from Space. Some like Clefairy's family and others even have specific connections to Space. So it more or less makes sense they they are able to battle there just fine.

I find it even weirder that Pokemon were able to battle in space during Episode Delta... There's so much that has to be explained about that.

It's been said many times in the franchise that people believe Pokemon came from Space. Some like Clefairy's family and others even have specific connections to Space. So it more or less makes sense they they are able to battle there just fine.

Or they just have a hand-waved Frieza immunity.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom