• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Changing Battle Screen?

Senzura

Insanity is the one truth
Reaction score
I just noticed this. On the screenshot that was relesed awhile ago (The Zoroark vs Zorua one), You saw Zoroark's full body.

Yet on the screenshots that were leaked the other day, there were quite a few battle pictures . Although in these, the pokemon used the traditional backsprite style. If you dont know what I mean, go to serribi's Black and White pre-release pics section and look at May 13th pics.

Anyone have any thoughts? Could the battle screen change mid-battle?

I say its beta screenshots. They're trying different pictures to find what they like best.

So Im the only one that thinks the camera could change mid-battle?

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-starters-photo-b.jpg

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-starters-photo-c.jpg

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-starters-photo-e.jpg

corocoro-pokemon-black-white-starters-photo-f.jpg

Must be beta.

Maybe they've recently begun the sprites and thus don't have a full version for them. That doesn't explain Zoroark and Zorua though..

Were the previous ones battle sprites? Maybe they appear as full sprites then turn to regular for the bat-..Wait, no, they were battle sprites. Plus, they show the foes full.

Beta then. That shiny Rai looks the same as HGSS.

So Im the only one that thinks the camera could change mid-battle?

I'm thinking that they probably just revamped the entire battle scene so that you can see most of the back sprite of your Pokemon rather than less than half of some and the entire of others, since in the scans that Somari posted, I can see most of each of the backs of the Pokemon that are the players, including the shiny legendary dog that is in the bottom corner of the bottom scan.

I'mma guess the camera moves about at times during battle. I'm going to predict the camera will zoom in when the battle officially starts.

It's probably just beta stuff. They tinker with the battle screen & sprites quite a bit before release from what I've gathered. It's like in Platinum where the Giratina sprite shown early on in the coverage period is different from the final one. So it's quite possible that they're just trying different things. I'm actually liking what we have now better than the original Zorua vs. Zoroark screens. Something just seemed...meh about the whole thing. But this, even though it's essentially the same system as before appeals to me. I think it's the transparent text box that we have now.

In those previous Zoroark/Zorua battle screens, Zoroark looked like it was the one doing the attacking (if I recall; I haven't seen the pictures in a bit), while in these with the starters, it's the opponent pokemon that's doing the attacking. So that could be a part of it?

Although I'd wager more that those were just beta shots.

Is it just me, or do those little platforms that they stand on look a little 3D-ish?

Yeah, you can even see where the edges become invisible because they fall inbetween the pixels.

Come on people, make use of Occam's Razor. What's more likely: that they use the screen shots of two different builds in the same advertisement, or that all the screenshots are from the same build and the camera now moves?

Reason? well where is the battle text going to be? that's why Zorua is barely even visible in one of the pics.

the screen shifts depending on whose turn it is.
Which way do you think it might shift? Presumably shifting your Pokemon's back sprite back and forth between obscured by the screen and out in the open (hence full-body sprites)?

Actually, I think I'm wrong.

I don't know. I was going to say it's that way when they are attacking, but it apparently isn't.

Which way do you think it might shift? Presumably shifting your Pokemon's back sprite back and forth between obscured by the screen and out in the open (hence full-body sprites)?

That's how I see it. The camera zooms out when you're attacking to show the full-body sprite.

Maybe the screenshots of the traditional back sprites were zoomed in while the first battle screenshot was not?

No it definitely changes here and there, some screens have full battle circles, some are not. I'm not too sure how though, but its for both sides.
http://www.pokemon-sp.jp/news-sp/20100515_01.html
Check this out, the steps for the raikou entei battle. Go to tools on top, page info and media. Search for steps 1 through 5 jpg. Is it me or does your Pokemon sprite move for breating mid animation?

Last edited:
What the screens are are just cropped shots of the actual battle. As for mid-battle non-attack animations, I have no idea.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom