• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.

Character ages in Pokémon Games

Reaction score
I don't have a Switch so I've never played either of the games. I'm wondering, is there an age limit listed in the SwSh games for gym leaders?

A Solidly Ossified Braincase
Reaction score
I always figured Allister was the youngest, but I don’t think he’s far off from Bea’s age anyway. IIRC her concept artwork suggests she’s college age, and my guesstimation for Allister would be late high school.

I don’t think I realized until now how, although a cool worldbuilding detail, Trial Captains being age-limited from 11-19 really curtails the design possibilities for those characters. One of the things I liked most about SwSh was the diversity of the cast, so I’m glad they didn’t retain that idea.

Last edited:
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I always figured Allister was the youngest, but I don’t think he’s far off from Bea’s age anyway. IIRC her concept artwork suggests she’s college age, and my guesstimation for Allister would be late high school.
I believe that Allister is sixteen, and older than Bea, Bede, Marnie, Hop, and the protagonist.

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
There’s nothing that officially states either of their ages, however Allister’s League Card states that he is still very young for a Gym Leader while Bea’s only mentions that she was young when she started her training. Based on that, I’d infer that Allister is younger.

Just your average dumpster fire.
Reaction score
I still manage to confuse Bea and Opal somehow ddd

What's a Pokemon?
Reaction score
I though Allister was an actual child? His model gives him the appearance of one at the very least.
Riley is just saying his headcanon as if it were fact. The games specifically note Allister became a Leader at a young age, so he's most likely.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Riley is just saying his headcanon as if it were fact. The games specifically note Allister became a Leader at a young age, so he's most likely.
However the games don't specify when Allister became a Gym Leader.

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I was really surprised when I found out, in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, that Tate and Liza are children. In the original Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald I always assumed they were about 19 or 20. Seeing them enthusing about buying toys in the Lilycove Department Store was pretty surreal to say the least.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was really surprised when I found out, in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, that Tate and Liza are children. In the original Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald I always assumed they were about 19 or 20. Seeing them enthusing about buying toys in the Lilycove Department Store was pretty surreal to say the least.
This reminds me of how I thought Bugsy was a girl until I pulled up his Bulbapedia article sometime in Gen 4

Edit: Funny enough...

(I guess I'm gonna learn something new every time I randomly pull up the Bugsy page)

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
This reminds me of how I thought Bugsy was a girl until I pulled up his Bulbapedia article sometime in Gen 4

Edit: Funny enough...

(I guess I'm gonna learn something new every time I randomly pull up the Bugsy page)
I used to think Bugsy was a girl as well. If I remember correctly, my copy of Pokemon Master Guide (a special edition of Nintendo Official Magazine, which ironically wasn't actually official I don't think) erroneously referred to Bugsy as female.

Cutie Pie
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Grookey
I used to think Bugsy was a girl as well. If I remember correctly, my copy of Pokemon Master Guide (a special edition of Nintendo Official Magazine, which ironically wasn't actually official I don't think) erroneously referred to Bugsy as female.
In the Pokemon Adventures manga, Gold thought Bugsy was a girl.

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
In the Pokemon Adventures manga, Gold thought Bugsy was a girl.
I didn't know about that. That's brilliant!

I tend to imagine the player characters being much older than they actually are, because it makes me feel more immersed in the game. I want to feel like the character is actually me. I imagine them to be around 16-18, which I think is about the maximum age they could realistically be (and is also about how old I feel, despite being 26 lol).

I'm not a fan of dialogue that directly references the protagonist's age - Hau mentioning that you and him are 11, or Sonia and Leon telling you to "leave this to the grown-ups". It breaks the immersion for me, as does having all the adult characters tower over me now that the 3D models are more realistically scaled.

Maybe I just need to accept that Pokemon is aimed primarily at children, and I'm not part of the target demographic anymore. But it would be nice if the protagonist's age become a bit more ambiguous to cater to older fans, perhaps even with a few different height options.

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of dialogue that directly references the protagonist's age - Hau mentioning that you and him are 11, or Sonia and Leon telling you to "leave this to the grown-ups". It breaks the immersion for me, as does having all the adult characters tower over me now that the 3D models are more realistically scaled.

Maybe I just need to accept that Pokemon is aimed primarily at children, and I'm not part of the target demographic anymore. But it would be nice if the protagonist's age become a bit more ambiguous to cater to older fans, perhaps even with a few different height options.
Or Leon calling me "little Esserise" before the capture tutorial on Route 2... :bulbaFacepalm:

Indeed, at this point I have accepted that it's a kids' game and have largely conditioned myself to just mentally gloss over those moments. (And the height differences I can kinda look past anyway, because I'm 5'7" and am accustomed to people being taller than me, lol.)

Overall, I think player character customization could stand to be expanded in many ways. I'd like some weight range options and, on the subject of Bugsy's ambiguous gender, I think they really should include a nonbinary option. I'm not enby myself but I follow many people who are, and I would like to see them given that option of self-expression.