• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character ages in Pokémon Games

I don't have a Switch so I've never played either of the games. I'm wondering, is there an age limit listed in the SwSh games for gym leaders?

I always figured Allister was the youngest, but I don’t think he’s far off from Bea’s age anyway. IIRC her concept artwork suggests she’s college age, and my guesstimation for Allister would be late high school.

I don’t think I realized until now how, although a cool worldbuilding detail, Trial Captains being age-limited from 11-19 really curtails the design possibilities for those characters. One of the things I liked most about SwSh was the diversity of the cast, so I’m glad they didn’t retain that idea.

Last edited:
I always figured Allister was the youngest, but I don’t think he’s far off from Bea’s age anyway. IIRC her concept artwork suggests she’s college age, and my guesstimation for Allister would be late high school.
I believe that Allister is sixteen, and older than Bea, Bede, Marnie, Hop, and the protagonist.

I was really surprised when I found out, in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, that Tate and Liza are children. In the original Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald I always assumed they were about 19 or 20. Seeing them enthusing about buying toys in the Lilycove Department Store was pretty surreal to say the least.

Last edited:
I was really surprised when I found out, in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, that Tate and Liza are children. In the original Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald I always assumed they were about 19 or 20. Seeing them enthusing about buying toys in the Lilycove Department Store was pretty surreal to say the least.

This reminds me of how I thought Bugsy was a girl until I pulled up his Bulbapedia article sometime in Gen 4

Edit: Funny enough...

(I guess I'm gonna learn something new every time I randomly pull up the Bugsy page)

This reminds me of how I thought Bugsy was a girl until I pulled up his Bulbapedia article sometime in Gen 4

Edit: Funny enough...

(I guess I'm gonna learn something new every time I randomly pull up the Bugsy page)

I used to think Bugsy was a girl as well. If I remember correctly, my copy of Pokemon Master Guide (a special edition of Nintendo Official Magazine, which ironically wasn't actually official I don't think) erroneously referred to Bugsy as female.

I used to think Bugsy was a girl as well. If I remember correctly, my copy of Pokemon Master Guide (a special edition of Nintendo Official Magazine, which ironically wasn't actually official I don't think) erroneously referred to Bugsy as female.
In the Pokemon Adventures manga, Gold thought Bugsy was a girl.

In the Pokemon Adventures manga, Gold thought Bugsy was a girl.

I didn't know about that. That's brilliant!

I tend to imagine the player characters being much older than they actually are, because it makes me feel more immersed in the game. I want to feel like the character is actually me. I imagine them to be around 16-18, which I think is about the maximum age they could realistically be (and is also about how old I feel, despite being 26 lol).

I'm not a fan of dialogue that directly references the protagonist's age - Hau mentioning that you and him are 11, or Sonia and Leon telling you to "leave this to the grown-ups". It breaks the immersion for me, as does having all the adult characters tower over me now that the 3D models are more realistically scaled.

Maybe I just need to accept that Pokemon is aimed primarily at children, and I'm not part of the target demographic anymore. But it would be nice if the protagonist's age become a bit more ambiguous to cater to older fans, perhaps even with a few different height options.

I'm not a fan of dialogue that directly references the protagonist's age - Hau mentioning that you and him are 11, or Sonia and Leon telling you to "leave this to the grown-ups". It breaks the immersion for me, as does having all the adult characters tower over me now that the 3D models are more realistically scaled.

Maybe I just need to accept that Pokemon is aimed primarily at children, and I'm not part of the target demographic anymore. But it would be nice if the protagonist's age become a bit more ambiguous to cater to older fans, perhaps even with a few different height options.

Or Leon calling me "little Esserise" before the capture tutorial on Route 2... :bulbaFacepalm:

Indeed, at this point I have accepted that it's a kids' game and have largely conditioned myself to just mentally gloss over those moments. (And the height differences I can kinda look past anyway, because I'm 5'7" and am accustomed to people being taller than me, lol.)

Overall, I think player character customization could stand to be expanded in many ways. I'd like some weight range options and, on the subject of Bugsy's ambiguous gender, I think they really should include a nonbinary option. I'm not enby myself but I follow many people who are, and I would like to see them given that option of self-expression.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom