• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character borrowing from "Hypno's Naptime??" (Housou Spoilers)

Dogasu said:
OK, so foreshadowing was the wrong word. I meant something more along the lines of the Housou people reusing a character from an old episode rather than coming up with an all-new one. I don't think anything like that has a term, does it?
I've heard it a couple of times a while ago, but I've forgotten what it was, sorry.

From Pokémon Contest! Lilycove Tournament!: Look above the guy in the white shirt, on the right. Look familiar? A little too familiar?

AG36.jpg

Serebii ga fukinuketa once in my life.

In Gorebyss & Huntail! The Evolution Mystery!, there's the kid with the Golduck who fought Ash in A Double Dilemma, only he now has a black collar instead of white, his shirt is more orange and his pants are blue instead of green:

AG113.jpg
AG26.jpg

Both pics are de Serebii.

Then there was the large kid with very short hair and a striped shirt who showed up during the Indigo League (I know he was in A Friend in Deed, when Ash was looking around and saw Richie, right before TR started to take the Pokéballs): he was also in a couple of other episodes, possibly even two different Hoenn ones. Sorry, I don't have pictures, and don't remember which other episodes he was in. Then there's this announcer guy:

0135.JPG

My Serebii'll go on and on....

This one makes sense, as she's a coordinator. Look above Max in the first pic, from All Things Bright and Beautifly!, and behind Ponyta in the second, from Win, Lose or Drew:

0233.JPG
0039.JPG

I like big Pokémonpicturesites an' I cannot lie.
You other sisters (and brothers) can't deny
that when Serebii walks in due to cut-and-paste
an' there's a picture in your face
you get sprung!

The "captain" from Hoenn Alone is the same sailor that Ash and friends rescued (he was laying on the ground) in Tentacool and Tentacruel:

EP19045.jpg
0082.JPG

Serebii's pics.

I think this is the brown braids/pink overalls girl people are talking about:

AG50261.jpg

Deep in my soul
Serebii's so strong
it takes control....

Last edited:
They've really gotta cut out boys with partened hair, it's so out of date now, no one's had partened hair where I live for five years lol.

I can recall some other names having been used twice, which pondered to be the same person. This was there, but it never occured that they look the same.... so maybe it is true :eek:.

However, before May came into the picture, Haruka was also used. She was the girl in "Arcanine and the Fire Stone" (The Stolen Stones). That kinda stopped making me wonder about names used twice being the same person, UNLESS they are in the title. Like Bannai was. However, it was kinda weird how they used Masamune's name in a title the first time we met him, making us not even know if it was a person, a Pokemon, an item or whatever.

Also, if they are the same person, what makes all the anti-dub zealots think they'll miss out on this? Well, I kinda admit that I used to think that, but it was never technically in-stone that Yukinari from movie 4 is supposed to be Oak. IMO before the dub movie was released with that little scene at the end, Yukinari being Oak was just as likely as the Hajime's being the same are now. Either they made that up themselves, or the writers told them it was meant to be Oak... but aside from their names and them both liking to study Pokemon, in the Japanese version there was just as much evidence towards this. If by any chance it *IS* meant to be that way, I'm sure the writers have informed/will inform them before dubbing that Chronicles episode.

However, I really have to say shame on them for missing Izumi and Homura. Well, they got them later, but I'm sure they're ashamed of themselves.
For those who don't know, Izumi and Homura are Tabitha and Shelly of Team Magma and Team Aqua. They first appeared in "A Three Team Scheme", by those names. Although they are in the games as Executives, they missed that and called them Isabel and Harlan. However, later on in the volcano episode, they were Shelley and Tabitha again.

~Zak

However, I really have to say shame on them for missing Izumi and Homura. Well, they got them later, but I'm sure they're ashamed of themselves.
For those who don't know, Izumi and Homura are Tabitha and Shelly of Team Magma and Team Aqua. They first appeared in "A Three Team Scheme", by those names. Although they are in the games as Executives, they missed that and called them Isabel and Harlan. However, later on in the volcano episode, they were Shelley and Tabitha again.

Don't forget "Prima". :p

Kthleen said:
I've heard it a couple of times a while ago, but I've forgotten what it was, sorry.

From Pokémon Contest! Lilycover Tournament!: Look above the guy in the white shirt, on the right. Look familiar? A little too familiar?

AG36.jpg

Serebii ga fukinuketa once in my life.

In Gorebyss & Huntail! The Evolution Mystery!, there's the kid with the Golduck who fought Ash in A Double Dilemma, only he now has a black collar instead of white, his shirt is more orange and his pants are blue instead of green:

AG113.jpg
AG26.jpg

Both pics are de Serebii.

Then there was the large kid with very short hair and a striped shirt who showed up during the Indigo League (I know he was in A Friend in Deed, when Ash was looking around and saw Richie, right before TR started to take the Pokéballs): he was also in a couple of other episodes, possibly even two different Hoenn ones. Sorry, I don't have pictures, and don't remember which other episodes he was in. Then there's this announcer guy:

0135.JPG

My Serebii'll go on and on....

This one makes sense, as she's a coordinator. Look above Max in the first pic, from All Things Bright and Beautifly!, and behind Ponyta in the second, from Win, Lose or Drew:

0233.JPG
0039.JPG

I like big Pokémonpicturesites an' I cannot lie.
You other sisters (and brothers) can't deny
that when Serebii in walks in due to cut-and-paste
an' there's a picture in your face
you get sprung!

The "captain" from Hoenn Alone is the same sailor that Ash and friends rescued (he was laying on the ground) in Tentacool and Tentacruel:

EP19045.jpg
0082.JPG

Serebii's pics.

AG50261.jpg

Deep in my soul
Serebii's so strong
it takes control....

Yes, finnaly someone else has noticed my favorite reoccuring background dude ever, Oscar as I call him has been in many a episodes, but only once did he ever get dialouge or battle with his Golduck. He was also in the fake Oak episode as well!

And in the first picture, there is that girl with purple hair on the left. I've seen her in the stands of alot of Contest Episodes.

Zeta said:
Don't forget "Prima". :p

Heh, well they did change her name, at least they recognized her as who she's supposed to be, one of the elite four. Prima could just be her nickname after all, because it's more of a nickname type name. But James said "Make it double for Miss Elite", and they've referred to her in the episode as an Elite four member.

~Zak

Habunake said:
Yes, finnaly someone else has noticed my favorite reoccuring background dude ever, Oscar as I call him has been in many a episodes, but only once did he ever get dialouge or battle with his Golduck. He was also in the fake Oak episode as well!
That he was.

0198.jpg

Cha-la Serebii cha-la!

Kthleen said:

AG50261.jpg

Deep in my soul
Serebii's so strong
it takes control....

Look who shows up in the Gonbe ep... (Pic by... ME :p)

braidsgirl.png

She got a new hat. ^^

Doctor Oak said:
I think that that guy next to her is the one of which I spoke when I said, "Then there was the large kid with very short hair and a striped shirt who showed up during the Indigo League (I know he was in A Friend in Deed, when Ash was looking around and saw Richie, right before TR started to take the Pokéballs): he was also in a couple of other episodes, possibly even two different Hoenn ones." However, I'm not sure.

Then there's a girl from The Dunsparce Deception and some random girl from the Gonbe episode*:

0038.jpg
AG71.jpg

Serebbi pictur

Look at this. This kid has the same hairstyle as "Oscar," just a different color. And he too is wearing a v-neck shirt. (OMG!!! 8D)

0043.jpg
AG113.jpg

Serebii! E Nage da!

*What's the proper translation of that? Is it "Might Catch Gonbe with 'Haruka Delicious'!"?

Kthleen said:
Then there's a girl from The Dunsparce Deception and some random girl from the Gonbe episode*:

0038.jpg
AG71.jpg

Serebbi pictur

Look at this. This kid has the same hairstyle as "Oscar," just a different color. And he too is wearing a v-neck shirt. (OMG!!! 8D)

0043.jpg
AG113.jpg

Serebii! E Nage da!

*What's the proper translation of that? Is it "Might Catch Gonbe with 'Haruka Delicious'!"?

I saw a Purple haired Oscar in one of the Contest Episodes, Pacifidlog I think.

BTW, look its that kid from Pokemon Snack Attack! In the pic of the Gonbe episode, you know with the headband.

They have been doing that recently! I can't remember what episode, but they had the same little girl that thought she was a Magicarp (the one with the Joy loops).

Doctor Oak said:

braidsgirl.png

She got a new hat. ^^

That is the girl I was originally talking about. She has made COUNTLESS appearances. I'm wondering if she's possibly an animated version of someone the artists know (y'know...getting their family or friend into the show). Or maybe it's just a character design they liked, or maybe one that was intended for a named character.

Kthleen said:

AG50261.jpg

Deep in my soul
Serebii's so strong
it takes control....
Doctor Oak said:

braidsgirl.png

She got a new hat. ^^
theresheisagain.jpg

The guy on Ash's left has also made multiple appearences, but sadly I can't be bothered to find the episodes for him. <.<

And there's that guy in the striped shirt again. I keep thinking that he was also in A Double Dilemma, but I'm not entirely sure.

And check out who I found during the search for the possibly Pacifidlog "Purple haired Oscar" (red shirt):

AG240.jpg

From Serebii With Love

(Hint:
AG36.jpg
)

Wow. The top one is just the hint one recolored and in different poses.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom