• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character customization

Reaction score
With the new trailer we see that skin tones are back and unless it was a color mistake we can change clothes maybe because of the one shot of him with a shirt with black stripes.

What do you want from customization this time around if it's back, if it's not are you disappointed.

I want to be able to dress as the previous protagonists since its a 20th anniversary game

In X I played through as Red and made my character look like him too lol. I think "outfits" to make you look like a certain character or trainer class should be a thing, sort of like how a dress in XY was a combo piece that took the top and bottom of your character, an outfit could do the same thing, like a Team Flare outfit, for example! :D

Customization is something that was good in XY but it just made everyone hungry for more. Hopefully it's, at the very least, as good as it was in XY, hopefully better.

and unless it was a color mistake we can change clothes maybe because of the one shot of him with a shirt with black stripes.

I still think that just a glitch during the translation from Japanese version to US version...

maybe...

Cause:
Japanese version:
28149f7db7bd4e136a66435369712d7c.jpg
US video:
a54fdcf6baeec099e974a6e7a3a8a7b3.jpg

Except for the shirt obvious different color the color for other things on the video also different.. So I think that just a color mistake due to brightness or color sharpness effect.. But I will be super happy if they actually bring back clothes customisation though... but I still on the 'not really sure' and 'dont want to hope much' phase now[emoji14]

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is a tropic region I am sure we are going to see a lot of spring and summer apparel including sportswear. I hope we get to run around in swimwear. :)

Last edited:
I still think that just a glitch during the translation from Japanese version to US version...

maybe...

Cause:
Japanese version:

US video:

Except for the shirt obvious different color the color for other things on the video also different.. So I think that just a color mistake due to brightness or color sharpness effect.. But I will be super happy if they actually bring back clothes customisation though... but I still on the 'not really sure' and 'dont want to hope much' phase now[emoji14]

If it was just the shirt I'd say you'd be onto something about the brightness (similar to the whole blue/white dress shenanigan that went on a little over a year ago), but it's also the shorts stripe going from red on the blue striped shirt to white on the black striped shirt. I'm certain customization is back.

maybe...

Cause:
Japanese version:
US video:

Maybe if we play with the color and contrast on the pictures we can solve if that was the issue.

I really hope Customization is really back. Its great to see skin and hair color already confirmed but I want changing clothes and hairstyles confirmed. I see no reason for them not to come back though.

Considering that the color changes are limited to shirts and pants and we haven't seen any different apparel like we did with XY...it's really starting to look like customizations this time around are color only.

I'm still hoping that we'll get different clothes in future trailers. And that the female trainers have non-crop top hoodies and will be able to change out of the chicken beanie. And that the male trainers will have more options. But by this point it's really hare to tell if it's going to go past skintones and a colorbar for the clothes.

I hope we can choose at the start an age range which would be great. Cause getting these too young protagonist compared to the Gen V and Gen VI would be step back.

maybe...

Cause:
Japanese version:
US video:

I wouldn't say that, because look at the legs rather than the shirt, they are a completely different color, so I highly doubt it's a glitch or anything like that, it seems way too obvious that customization is back and whoever is playing the game here has chose different options for their outfit. There's also the color of the sky being lighter in the Japanese video, so the scene could be taking place during a different time of day as well or during different weather conditions.

I really hope Customization is really back. Its great to see skin and hair color already confirmed but I want changing clothes and hairstyles confirmed. I see no reason for them not to come back though.

Same here, I also want more options, especially being able to not wear a hat because I felt like I was forced to wear a hat the whole time in X/Y and always with an accessory on it.

Considering that the color changes are limited to shirts and pants and we haven't seen any different apparel like we did with XY...it's really starting to look like customizations this time around are color only.
A lot of customization options in XY were palette swaps. I don't see how palette swapped early-game clothes really rule out other clothing options. We literally had no evidence for trainer customization in XY for the longest time and people only speculated based on the starting scene with mirrors.

I wouldn't say that, because look at the legs rather than the shirt, they are a completely different color, so I highly doubt it's a glitch or anything like that, it seems way too obvious that customization is back and whoever is playing the game here has chose different options for their outfit. There's also the color of the sky being lighter in the Japanese video, so the scene could be taking place during a different time of day as well or during different weather conditions.

Same here, I also want more options, especially being able to not wear a hat because I felt like I was forced to wear a hat the whole time in X/Y and always with an accessory on it.
d4MRcf7.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Things I want in SM, besides the obvious "more hairstyle and outfit options than we had in XY":

- Twin tails hairstyle because that's my weakness.
- Longer hair options for guys.
- Outfits of previous player characters. This is the 20th anniversary after all!
- More Pokemon-inspired outfits like the Slurpuff dress.
- Trainer class outfits. Not necessarily all of them; some outfits like school kids (if we have any) won't fit. They could even have a game function like being given access to the "trainer class" club house and fight trainers there, but you can only enter when you wear that outfit?

If it was just the shirt I'd say you'd be onto something about the brightness (similar to the whole blue/white dress shenanigan that went on a little over a year ago), but it's also the shorts stripe going from red on the blue striped shirt to white on the black striped shirt. I'm certain customization is back.

I don't think that it is a glitch, but I do worry that it may just be a bit of beta footage. Just like the Shiny Gogoat that appeared in an XY trailer:

XY_Prerelease_Shiny_Gogoat.png

Compared to the actual Shiny Gogoat colors, it is a very drastic difference:

Spr_6x_673_s.png

So I could easily believe that they simply decided to change the colors of the outfit, but then one of the trailers used the old coloration by mistake. I certainly hope that this isn't the case, though.

There's also a video going around highlighting how the Japanese and International trailers had slightly different information revealed. I don't see why different shirt colours suddenly have to be a glitch or using an old version rather than being intentional.

I would certainly expect something a lot more explicit, if they were intentionally advertising CLOTHES customization. They were A LOT more explicit with skin customization in the trailer. So this makes me doubt.

I would certainly expect something a lot more explicit, if they were intentionally advertising CLOTHES customization. They were A LOT more explicit with skin customization in the trailer. So this makes me doubt.
They haven't even shown the official trainer artwork yet, which is why I doubt they'd start showing off all your clothing options confounding what people would think your default outfit was.

Many may know I'm more neutral to Customization, but I do hope that the least we get is more hair options, because I'm just not digging the short hairstyle the girl's got. I've never cared to make the PC actually look like me, and I prefer long hair, so that's really my only concern.

I'm of the weird opinion that they really need to up the customization from X/Y or have no customization at all. If there is no customization, I can settle for how the player character looks, but if there is customization, and I can't get a look I like, it annoys me.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom