• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character customization

Are they going to bring back the whole 'style quotient' thing?
Sweet Helix I hope not. It was just an utterly pointless way to add in a little more false gameplay time. I don't want to have to prove I'm "stylish" by doing things that have nothing to do with fashion styles, just to get into a store that doesn't even really have clothes I like, or to gain access to ONE horrible looking hairstyle. Just give me access to every store and hairstyle from the start and let me experiment.

I kind of like having to get a hairstyle to see what it looks like, like in ACNL lol. It feels like experimenting, which is what happens when you go to a hair salon in real life kinda!

Well, when I go to a salon I can't first cut my hair short and after that make it long again, which is why I prefer looking at pictures beforehand :p
I understand the inconvenience but I'm not gonna lie, I thought it was realistic that every shop had different clothes, and it was cool getting to a new town and rushing to the store to see what things they had.

When I go shopping in real life I also stick to only one town, I don't go running around the whole province in search for clothing. Another option would be to have a clothing section in the regional Department Store. It already offers everything all the different Poké Marts have to offer, so why not offer all the different clothing as well?
I would really not want stores to offer more clothes depending on how many trials you've completed. That's tacky and makes no sense from a business standpoint and most of all feels messy to me.

Poké Marts used to do it and now you don't have access to certain clothing until you reach a certain town, which you can only do if you've collected a certain amount of badges. It's really not all that different.

Sweet Helix I hope not. It was just an utterly pointless way to add in a little more false gameplay time. I don't want to have to prove I'm "stylish" by doing things that have nothing to do with fashion styles, just to get into a store that doesn't even really have clothes I like, or to gain access to ONE horrible looking hairstyle. Just give me access to every store and hairstyle from the start and let me experiment.

I feel like style was a Lumoise-specific kind of thing. But if it made a comeback, well there would need to be a complete overhaul. They could do something with it so it doesn't impede progress, but is still fun to toy with.

For Example: (Of a New System of Style)
A new system of style could revolve around character customization.
Garment would be sorted into types; like bold, flashy etc. and would be divided into a table of scores
Each Garment would have a specific score relating to a type of style (i.e. X-gloves has +2 Flashy style(sorry not actually stylish person)).
Then there could be different dialougues from different characters based on those scores: (For this example I am using a shopkeeper)
If Player has <10 Flash then:
"How are you today ? What Can I get for you?"
If Player has (10 -19) Flash then:
"You look Fantastic! Is there any item you are looking for in particular?" (this would also discount certain items by 10%)
If Player has (20-34) Flash then:
"You look dazzling! What can I do for a light like yourself?" (this would discount certain items by 25%)
If Player has (35-49) Flash then:
"Your Outfit meets the eyes in a Gleaming Fashion! What does a light like yourself require?" (this would also discount certain items by 40%)
If player has 50 Flash then:
"A Gleaming Beacon in the world of style enters the store! Our services are at your disposal sir/madam."(this would provide a 65% discount on certain items)

This system is a system which doesn't impede anyone's progress, but adds a little more to the game, and adds more reason to utilize character customization. And every game developer wants their fans to use all their feature in the game.

Well being able to remove your hat is definitely confirmed now:

hair1.png
hair2.png
hair3.png

Also seems like the boys are getting more different hairstyles this time, though for now only short ones.

Hopefully the lack of hat means there's more interesting hair styles for the male character. XY was very restrictive for male hairstyles, but when you couldn't remove the hat I guess that sorta made sense for shorter styles that you wouldn't be able to see anyway. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hopefully the lack of hat means there's more interesting hair styles for the male character. XY was very restrictive for male hairstyles, but when you couldn't remove the hat I guess that sorta made sense for shorter styles that you wouldn't be able to see anyway. But I'm not getting my hopes up.
at least the guys' fashion options look a bit better this time around. still praying for shorts though.

There's probably going to be different headwears judging from the female's headband.

Headband? Any screenshots? (Sorry, I didn't actually watch the trailer.)
@Time Breaker
index.php
It was in the list Soki posted earlier, but now it's by itself, and you can clearly see which one is being referred to.

Oh, cool. I'll probably use that on my character. I also wonder if both genders will get swimwear since Alola is all islands. Assuming they haven't already presented any.

I wonder if we'll get the option to customize our character at the beginning of the game, as well as throughout it like XY.

I just thought of something, what if Chinatown is the fashion hub like Lumiose was but only for the island it's on.

Like only one or two places per island will have a shop, only one will have a salon. That sort of thing.

I hope that boys and girls can wear the same T-Shirts, pants and socks this time. I found it dumb that boys in XY can only wear ankle socks and you couldn't wear the Pyroar T-Shirt as a girl.

Plus Boys need full body clothes, like Tuxedos. Seriously, full-body clothes being female only was so dumb...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom