• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character customization

I'll say it again. More than just generic white people play Pokémon. The games should reflect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These games are primarily targeted at a Japanese audience, so technically the fashion and MC design will be angled at a Japanese audience and most MCs (besides Unova's and Kalos') should be considered their worlds equivalent of Japanese :/

I hope that whatever minigame or task we have to do won't be so annoying, if they're as good as the pokeathlon then I would be more than okay with it.

That is kind of delusional to pretend to be in the game in my opinion. Reality may not be what we want but it is what it is.
But you're not actually thinking you're in the game, so there's no delusion here. It's just harmless fun that helps make the games a more immersive experience. Kids especially love to play pretend and have fun. It's essentially dress-up: you're not really learning anything or getting something out of it, but you're playing with your creativity and having fun.

Plus the skin tone feature is really great. My little sister wasn't very interested in the games until she could play a black person like herself. And I'm sure tons of other kids feel this way. I can understand not having a tangible reward for a player like you or me. And I think it's fair that you personally see it as a waste of time. (I don't agree, but I can respect your opinion.) But for many others, this means the world to them.

The point of customization isn't to provide a tangible reward, but to provide a fun experience for those who like it, or to make the experience of playing more immersive and personal. And for me, personally, that makes playing the games a lot more fun. They COULD provide a reward system (much like they did with Kalos) and that might be neat. Personally, I'm loving customization for what it is at face value, and I don't need a reward to appreciate the mechanic.

Aaaaaanyway, let me get back on track and talk about what I'd like to see. I hope customization expands so that you could have capes, masks and glasses. And if this game lets me fashionable, I also want to be anti-fashion and look like a complete weirdo. But mostly, I'd love to dress up as a superhero, just to piss off the Defenders of Kalos.

That is kind of delusional to pretend to be in the game in my opinion. Reality may not be what we want but it is what it is.

It's not like customization is solely meant to make you look like yourself, nor to pretend to 'be' in the game. You can represent your character as someone beyond yourself if you wanted to, just like how our own avatars we use in the forums aren't usually pictures of our real faces. Besides, not many people in real life sport pony tails and glamorous clothing, and no one really has the proportions nor looks of any anime character. I'll bet there are lot's of people who customize their character to have completely different looks from their real selves. It's fun to dress up in ways you never could in reality! ^_^

Again, customization allows people to express their own identities to others. Pokemon is a social game in many aspects, with all the wireless features added in lately. You can 'interact' with other players in the game, although in a somewhat limited way. Lot's of online multiplayer games have character customization as a staple feature, and Pokemon is supposedly late to the party.

I can see the Pokemon games evolve to have even more online features, too - even for Battle Frontier-like facilities they could add. In this way, customization will only become more and more useful for years to come.

Really really hope there's no mini-games involved in obtaining Festival Coins. Also, I hope that it's relatively easy to earn them, but I get the strong feeling that there will be some silly mini-game involved anyway because Game Freak likes to make quirky things and this would give them the perfect opportunity. Though I wouldn't mind as much if it were linked to the Pyukumuku game, as that seems like it doesn't take too much time or is too complicated. As long as you get a LOT of coins.

I feel like forcing you to play a mini-game to customize your characters is annoying. Not sure if it's just me, but I want most of my customization options available at the beginning. When I start up the game, I want to create everything about that character. Clothes, shoes, hair. I don't want to have to earn it, I just want it so that my character can look the way I want for as long as I play the game, otherwise, it is more detrimental to the feature. Customization shouldn't be a reward to be earned, it should just be treated as a menu option like setting your battle to Shift or Set. I don't mind if you can only do it in Pokemon Centers, but give me the chance to do it during frequent intervals. Really, I get nothing out of playing a game to be able to change my shirt except endless annoyance. Doesn't matter how fun that game is. It turns into grinding in the end.

Aaaaaanyway, let me get back on track and talk about what I'd like to see. I hope customization expands so that you could have capes, masks and glasses. And if this game lets me fashionable, I also want to be anti-fashion and look like a complete weirdo. But mostly, I'd love to dress up as a superhero, just to piss off the Defenders of Kalos.
^
THIS.

Give us capes Game Freak! I know there is a trend of the notorious "No Capes!" meme from The Incredibles, but it would just be so awesome to battle alongside your Pokemon against a villian, making a Z-move dance with a cape flowing behind your back like a superhero. "(_your name or pokemon_) SAVES THE DAY!" :love:

But you're not actually thinking you're in the game, so there's no delusion here. It's just harmless fun that helps make the games a more immersive experience. Kids especially love to play pretend and have fun. It's essentially dress-up: you're not really learning anything or getting something out of it, but you're playing with your creativity and having fun.

Plus the skin tone feature is really great. My little sister wasn't very interested in the games until she could play a black person like herself. And I'm sure tons of other kids feel this way. I can understand not having a tangible reward for a player like you or me. And I think it's fair that you personally see it as a waste of time. (I don't agree, but I can respect your opinion.) But for many others, this means the world to them.

The point of customization isn't to provide a tangible reward, but to provide a fun experience for those who like it, or to make the experience of playing more immersive and personal. And for me, personally, that makes playing the games a lot more fun. They COULD provide a reward system (much like they did with Kalos) and that might be neat. Personally, I'm loving customization for what it is at face value, and I don't need a reward to appreciate the mechanic.

It doesn't seem fun to me. Wearing alternate clothes, different skin tones and new hair styles hardly gets the blood flowing in my opinion.

It's not like customization is solely meant to make you look like yourself, nor to pretend to 'be' in the game. You can represent your character as someone beyond yourself if you wanted to, just like how our own avatars we use in the forums aren't usually pictures of our real faces. Besides, not many people in real life sport pony tails and glamorous clothing, and no one really has the proportions nor looks of any anime character. I'll bet there are lot's of people who customize their character to have completely different looks from their real selves. It's fun to dress up in ways you never could in reality! ^_^

Again, customization allows people to express their own identities to others. Pokemon is a social game in many aspects, with all the wireless features added in lately. You can 'interact' with other players in the game, although in a somewhat limited way. Lot's of online multiplayer games have character customization as a staple feature, and Pokemon is supposedly late to the party.

I can see the Pokemon games evolve to have even more online features, too - even for Battle Frontier-like facilities they could add. In this way, customization will only become more and more useful for years to come.
I don't see the fun of customization. I'm sorry but I don't. They should have left that feature in XY and be done with it in my opinion. Now I have to go through Alola knowing that there is a rubbish feature in it. Real clever game freak.

It doesn't seem fun to me. Wearing alternate clothes, different skin tones and new hair styles hardly gets the blood flowing in my opinion.
I understand, and that's a completely fair opinion to have. Everyone's different, and different things appeal to different people. I just personally really love character customization, and I know it means a lot to so many people.

Seeing as we can dye our clothes, I think they should let us dye our Z-Ring! It would be nice to have so many different options, so it truly feels like your own character. And another thing, we should be able to make Z-Accessories (Think like Diantha's Mega Pendant or Steven's Mega Brooch.)

P.S. We need to be able to choose to be left handed! Do this, and my hype for this game would be as high as possible.

What if the male character can don a beard or a mustache? Or we could even wear those joke glasses with the fake mustache, the Groucho glasses?

If our PCs are 10 (which they honestly can't be), it would be impossible to get a real mustache. A fake one, on the other hand, would be cool.

I think it would be cool to have outfits that are themed after different Pokemon. Not full on costumes but like ear hats, t-shirts with prints of Pokemon, etc.
Well given the pikachu tank, the toucan tank, and all the other shirts with pokemon on them at least the print thing is happening and happened given the Tierno shirt last gen.

But more themed hats would be nice though. And let the girls wear them this time instead of the tacky cake dress.

These games are primarily targeted at a Japanese audience, so technically the fashion and MC design will be angled at a Japanese audience and most MCs (besides Unova's and Kalos') should be considered their worlds equivalent of Japanese :/

I'll take a gander and say there's more brown-skinned 'ethnically Japanese' people than naturally blond 'ethnically Japanese' people so there's definitely at least an element of colorism at play in this series

EDIT: does MC mean "main character"? If so I'm talking about populations in the pokemon games as a whole and not just our protagonists

Really really hope there's no mini-games involved in obtaining Festival Coins. Also, I hope that it's relatively easy to earn them, but I get the strong feeling that there will be some silly mini-game involved anyway because Game Freak likes to make quirky things and this would give them the perfect opportunity. Though I wouldn't mind as much if it were linked to the Pyukumuku game, as that seems like it doesn't take too much time or is too complicated. As long as you get a LOT of coins.

I feel like forcing you to play a mini-game to customize your characters is annoying. Not sure if it's just me, but I want most of my customization options available at the beginning. When I start up the game, I want to create everything about that character. Clothes, shoes, hair. I don't want to have to earn it, I just want it so that my character can look the way I want for as long as I play the game, otherwise, it is more detrimental to the feature. Customization shouldn't be a reward to be earned, it should just be treated as a menu option like setting your battle to Shift or Set. I don't mind if you can only do it in Pokemon Centers, but give me the chance to do it during frequent intervals. Really, I get nothing out of playing a game to be able to change my shirt except endless annoyance. Doesn't matter how fun that game is. It turns into grinding in the end.

true, but at least this way the people that care about character's canon appearances have a canon appearance to go off of

I think it would be cool to have outfits that are themed after different Pokemon. Not full on costumes but like ear hats, t-shirts with prints of Pokemon, etc.

They did say Minior merch was big in Alola! I'm looking forward to that!

If our PCs are 10 (which they honestly can't be), it would be impossible to get a real mustache. A fake one, on the other hand, would be cool.

well like a baby hair indian kid mustache maybe lol but not a full-fledged one

Are we 10 again? I miss being ambiguously older like in BW

It would have been so cool if we could wear clothes from differents characters from cartoons or anime like Goku or even Maple's sweater. :)

I think copyright would be an issue but this would be neat

Last edited:
I've been reading this tread for a while, I think it's rather funny that people are comparing the battle frontier with customization.

So, I would just die of laughter if they do include the battle frontier, but the only prize were these festival coins that you use to buy clothes XD

...anyway, I'm hyped for customization. I'm personally hoping you don't have to wait obnoxiously long in the game to wear something worth-while. I didn't really have good clothes that I liked in X until I could buy some cool layered shirts from the mean girlz in Lumiose City. That was just annoying.

And yes, more hairstyles (especially for the male gender) are very welcome. Lovin' some of the fresh looks from the latest trailer.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom