• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character customization

Anyway, now that the heat has died down for now. With so many options for clothes, hairstyles, hats, contacts, shoes, socks, I feel like a kid in candy store! :D

I disagree. I always find a specific outfit and I want to have that outfit from the beginning. I don't like getting it when I'm about to quit playing the game. There's no fun in it, then.

I agree with this, in most other games with customization you get all customization options from the start, I don't see why the Pokémon games can't do the same thing. They could still keep the shops, so you can change your clothing later, but I would prefer to make my own character before I start my journey.

In X/Y I had to wait until Laverre City to finally find some clothing I liked, having to walk around for about 50% of the game in clothing I pretty much hated. If not all, at least give us some options or just the option to dye your clothes at the start, so you're not stuck with the default outfit for the first hours. I'm pretty sure most people would love to get rid of the girl's flower hat as soon as possible:p

I just hope then that Festival Coins are also very early obtainable. :)

Well we're joining a festival right at the start, right? Where we fight Hau on the stage? Should definitely get our first Festival Coins there. I'm gonna guess there's a Festival on every island and we can battle people for coins. So they sorta are like BP.

Well we're joining a festival right at the start, right? Where we fight Hau on the stage? Should definitely get our first Festival Coins there. I'm gonna guess there's a Festival on every island and we can battle people for coins. So they sorta are like BP.
The only thing that would make the festival even greater is that we receive tons of Festival Coins afterward. :)

I agree with this, in most other games with customization you get all customization options from the start, I don't see why the Pokémon games can't do the same thing. They could still keep the shops, so you can change your clothing later, but I would prefer to make my own character before I start my journey.

In X/Y I had to wait until Laverre City to finally find some clothing I liked, having to walk around for about 50% of the game in clothing I pretty much hated. If not all, at least give us some options or just the option to dye your clothes at the start, so you're not stuck with the default outfit for the first hours. I'm pretty sure most people would love to get rid of the girl's flower hat as soon as possible:p

What games are you playing? Because that doesn't ring true for a lot of the games I've seen at all.

Also, they can have a sizeable range available at the first town or w/e and expand upon that in big chunks, is the solution I'm seeing here. Plus, now that Gamefreak is letting us dye clothes they can stop passing off the same ugly design in like 7 different colors as "different clothing options"

I think it would be cool to have outfits that are themed after different Pokemon. Not full on costumes but like ear hats, t-shirts with prints of Pokemon, etc.
I would love this. Give me a Golurk hat and shirt and I'm golden. (Or teal rather.) But I would love this; I just don't want it gender-locked.

And can I get some freckles? We had the option of adding freckles for the PR vids in Kalos but they weren't permanent. I'd like some freckles and maybe the option of a beauty mark.

What games are you playing? Because that doesn't ring true for a lot of the games I've seen at all.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fire Emblem, Guild Wars, Fallout, and The Sims (though that doesn't really count I guess:p). Games I haven't played that also have it: Saints Row, Lost Planet, Dragon's Dogma, Kingdoms of Amalur, Final Fantasy XIV, Black Desert, and probably more I don't know of.

What games do you play? Cause Pokémon has seriously been the first case for me where full customization at the start isn't possible (for games where customization is possible at all).

Last edited:
Cause Pokémon has seriously been the first case for me where full customization at the start isn't possible (for games where customization is possible at all).

Same. I wish they would at least let us fully customize our skin tone, hair style/color and eye color from the get go instead of forcing us to choose a preset. I don't mind having to look around for the outfits I want since most RPGs do that as well (though, unlike in Pokemon, clothing or armor is usually tied to stats). But having to start the game with a character that doesn't look the way I pictured them in my head kinda throws me off from a role-playing standpoint.

Well with clothes it mostly isn't the case no, but that's mostly because you can hardly choose any clothing in other RPG's anyway, since it's indeed mostly tied to stats. So if that's what @Tente means, then yes you're right, not a lot of games have that, but again: that's because it's hardly an option throughout the game either. In Pokémon you can freely choose your clothing throughout the game, so I don't see why we don't just get the option to do that at the start.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom