• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character customizations?

It's not a big loss at all if you ask me. I always play as male characters, and in XY the number of customization options for the male player was just pathetic. It may as well have not existed, how limited the male selection was compared to the female player options. If they're going to skimp on customization, why bother to include it in the first place? I say good riddance to a rubbish feature if they won't even do it right.
Ah, the "We could keep this feature in a future game and improve it, but since we didn't get it right at the first try, let's just ditch it completely." logic, i hate this logic with a burning passion of a thousand suns.

I'm laughing at the number of people who are calling the protagonists with JAPANESE names who live in a region based off of JAPAN made by a JAPANESE company "white". ._. Seriously? Pale skin doesn't instantly equal white.

It's not a big loss at all if you ask me. I always play as male characters, and in XY the number of customization options for the male player was just pathetic. It may as well have not existed, how limited the male selection was compared to the female player options. If they're going to skimp on customization, why bother to include it in the first place? I say good riddance to a rubbish feature if they won't even do it right.

It was a feature only just created. I thought it was good considering how it was only just introduced. I never expected the customisation feature to be perfect right away, I expected it to get better and more vast with each new game. What would really be a waste is if Gamefreak do decide to keep customisation Kalos exclusive.

What I'm trying to say is that the feature wasn't that great in XY, certainly wasn't good enough to warrant an outrage like this. I don't mind it being a Kalos-exclusive feature, unless there was some miraculous way they could improve the clothing customization. All they had to do was give the male player the same number of clothing options as the female player, like maybe a unisex trenchcoat, perhaps?

What I'm trying to say is that the feature wasn't that great in XY, certainly wasn't good enough to warrant an outrage like this. I don't mind it being a Kalos-exclusive feature, unless there was some miraculous way they could improve the clothing customization. All they had to do was give the male player the same number of clothing options as the female player, like maybe a unisex trenchcoat, perhaps?

Of course it warrants outrage! It's something that has been long overdue to the series and was a brekathough as far as giving everyone their own personal adventures went.

I thought the reason for ORAS not having character customization had to do with the fact that XY and ORAS were developed by two different teams. The XY team decided to put in character customization while the ORAS team didn't know about it. So by the time they found out it was too late to go back and put the code it. Now, maybe they'll be able to do something with it once it's released and put it out as a patch later on.

The same thing happened with your Pokemon following you in HGSS and not BW.

I thought the reason for ORAS not having character customization had to do with the fact that XY and ORAS were developed by two different teams. The XY team decided to put in character customization while the ORAS team didn't know about it. So by the time they found out it was too late to go back and put the code it. Now, maybe they'll be able to do something with it once it's released and put it out as a patch later on.

That would have been the reasonable excuse, which they didn't use.

I somewhat understand what you're saying and that's fine.

But it is human nature to react in this way, if you give someone a little of something they've always wanted and then suddenly take it away they're going to get mad because their dream was within reach.

As others have stated, it was a feature that so many people, including myself, have wanted for a very long time. It was the one feature I had hoped we would receive for years. I'm not surprised at all about the outrage of this. The only reason why I personally haven't been in an outrage is because I know these games will still be great, and I'm holding on to the idea that the feature to customise will return.

Whether this feature is considered important enough or good enough is completely subjective, as is other features. While others hated losing Pokemon following you, I honestly did not mind too much, as despite being a feature I enjoyed, it wasn't a feature I would have been hurt to lose. Customisation on the other hand, is a feature I not only love, but is a feature I expect for this series from now on.

Game Freak doesn't have different teams. They're a relatively small company with only 73 employees.

It's funny how fans make up facts to fit their preferred view of things. Black and White even contained the HGSS overworld sprites.

do you think that will be possible to change the color skin at least?

do you think that will be possible to change the color skin at least?

It was confirmed customisation isn't returning. I'm assuming that means every feature regarding the opportunity to change your player's appearance outside of Pokemon Contests, will not be featured in these two Pokemon titles.

I just thought of something, they could by all means fix the issue with having a non-light skin toned protag if they link textures for the player's skin to their mother's/parent's skin tones. This just seems like something they could do in a 3D environment. But as it stands right now Gamefreak is to lazy to even consider that. It's like they took to the concept of Megas that they would throw something that most if not all monster hunting and battle RPGs have under a bus to compensate for it.

Also by this point that godforsaken cosplay pikachu is starting to look like a big middle finger, really. Not only does it have more clothing options than the player (and unisex options when it comes to the female players) but it's also the only thing that's customizable until the obligatory third game*.

(* = Maybe. I'm not holding out hope for the third game having customization after this.)

What's going to really suck is wifi battles- Seeing other people's individual trainers was a lot of fun and it made the battles more exciting. It's going to be really lame with only either Brendan or May to battle against.

What's going to really suck is wifi battles- Seeing other people's individual trainers was a lot of fun and it made the battles more exciting. It's going to be really lame with only either Brendan or May to battle against.

To be honest, it won't make too much of a difference. We saw the other character's model for like, 4 or 5 seconds, and it was only the upper half of their body. It really had no bearing on the battle itself, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, especially with May and Brendan at least having more interesting poses than Calem and Serena.

NO CUSTOMIZATION FOR ORAS

Soooo...if you didn't know...
No trainer customization in Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Game Freak keen on keeping random encounters - Nintendo Everything

soooo, yeah. No character customization any more. Now I will rant a bit so bear with me.

If you ask me Game Freak is being lazy. I happen to be very sore about not having customization of pc, expecially since I am a dark skinned individual who always has to play a light skinned one. If I am the hero of my story then how come I can't make my character look like me? When that feature came out in X & Y I was estatic, so excited to play that game. I was going to quit the Pokemon gaming franchise but the customization feature in X & Y was what brought me back! And I had a great time in Kalos. Now comes Alpha and Omega and the one thing that kept me in the series just got removed and, in short, refered to as a gimmick. No. Customizing pc is a great feature that should be continuing to the rest of the pokemon series regardless of region. Even if you hardly used the customizing features you can't say it wasn't a nice option. If you wanted to keep a cool feature as a part of the Kalos region only then say no more trainer videos, no more frou-frou parlor, No skates, heck even take away the Skiddo riding. They could have even made certain outfits/cloths/styles region exclusive! The customization of pc with outfits, hair cuts, eye color and skin type was a fun feature that made the experience personal to me. But if they did that for ORAS then that would mean new outfits, hair styles and extra content they don't feel like adding. The fact that they are re-hashing the most anticipated remake of Pokemon fans is supposed to be enough for us, for me. I won't lie, I was so pumped, I went fan crazy when I heard about ruby & sapphire, after all I played that version and have been waiting for the remake since HGSS. But just hearing this alone has bummed me out of all that hype because it just doesn't make sense to take away something like that, something that makes the experience just that much more personal and fun. For some of you that may have been the pokewalker, but for me it was the customizing features that made me stay in the first place. There were so many things that made Kallos amazing and memorable. Customization was an amazingly awesome feature to introduce. It may have been one of the perks but it definitely should not have been made a gimmick.

You suck Game Freak. You really suck.:thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:

(Sorry for any spelling errors and such)
So how does this make you feel? I don't even wanna get the game anymore and I've already reserved both copies! I'm so upset! Should I still get the game? What do you guys think? How do you feel and what direction do you think game freak iz heading in, good or bad?

Last edited:
Re: NO CUSTOMIZATION FOR ORAS

Like it's been said before, there's no use in boycotting ORAS. What's done is done and there's no protesting what has already been decided.

What people can do, though, is try to politely ask gamefreak not to remove the much awaited feature but to improve it for future non-Kalos games. If fan demand made them remake Ruby and Sapphire maybe it will finally make them listen about their stupid choices in mechanics they decide to keep and toss. It may or may not work but it's a start.

Showing them there's at least a demand for skin color, eye color, and hair color and style customization in future games may be even better. It may not be full customization with clothes and stuff but it will still give a personal touch to people's trainers as well as having their avatar represent just a little part of themselves.

I don't even wanna get the game anymore and I've already reserved both copies! I'm so upset! Should I still get the game? What do you guys think? How do you feel and what direction do you think game freak iz heading in, good or bad?

I'm gonna be honest. If you're really telling me that you're considering not getting the games anymore just because you can't make your character change your clothes, then it just seems like you didn't really want them that much in the first place. I get that some people like to imagine the Player as them, and I personally never do that, so maybe that's why my opinion differs so much from others. But even so, it is just your character sprite. That's it. It does not effect gameplay in any other way by any sort of means. It's just how you appear on-screen. We've gone through 5 generations with no customization people have enjoyed the games just fine, many people more than X and Y. Now we don't have it again, and all of a sudden, it's reason enough not to get the games. I personally don't understand that.

ORAS will have a brand new take on Generation III's original story, new characters, Mega Evolutions, revamped Contests and Secret Bases, and a good deal more. You can still battle, trade, breed, or whatever it is you fancy when you play a Pokemon game. And you're not wanting the games anymore because you can't change your character's outfit or skin tone? It seems to me that some people don't care about what the games are really about, at all if this minor thing is enough to make you call it quits.

That's just my opinion.

THIS ISN'T THE SIMS

Pokemon isn't a customizing game in the first place, and character customization was one small feature that was optional. It's stupid to think ORAS is worthless just because it doesn't have customization. I repeat: This isn't The Sims

THIS ISN'T THE SIMS

Pokemon isn't a customizing game in the first place, and character customization was one small feature that was optional. It's stupid to think ORAS is worthless just because it doesn't have customization. I repeat: This isn't The Sims

I don't see where anyone in this thread or otherwise was wanting sims level of customization. They just want basic RPG customizations and a chance for their avatar to represent them instead of the default Japanese/American/French child with bad fashion sense we've been stuck with since the original R/S/E games. For some, customizations were the first time since being able to chose to play as Female that you could be yourself in a game instead of being shoehorned into the same thing for a 6th time.

And just because it was optional doesn't mean there wasn't people that didn't enjoy it. I mean look at the secret base fans that liked customizing their little club houses even if they didn't use them for their intended purpose and never/couldn't mix(ed) records with people.

Will the remakes suck without the customization option? No. No they won't. Will the next gen or, Arceus willing, a third game suck with out it? Probably not. But something as basic as character customization, which many "Non-customizing games" have nowadays, should still be considered a logical next step after choosing to play as either male or female.

[/]
I don't even wanna get the game anymore and I've already reserved both copies! I'm so upset! Should I still get the game? What do you guys think? How do you feel and what direction do you think game freak iz heading in, good or bad?

I'm gonna be honest. If you're really telling me that you're considering not getting the games anymore just because you can't make your character change your clothes, then it just seems like you didn't really want them that much in the first place. I get that some people like to imagine the Player as them, and I personally never do that, so maybe that's why my opinion differs so much from others. But even so, it is just your character sprite. That's it. It does not effect gameplay in any other way by any sort of means. It's just how you appear on-screen. We've gone through 5 generations with no customization people have enjoyed the games just fine, many people more than X and Y. Now we don't have it again, and all of a sudden, it's reason enough not to get the games. I personally don't understand that.

ORAS will have a brand new take on Generation III's original story, new characters, Mega Evolutions, revamped Contests and Secret Bases, and a good deal more. You can still battle, trade, breed, or whatever it is you fancy when you play a Pokemon game. And you're not wanting the games anymore because you can't change your character's outfit or skin tone? It seems to me that some people don't care about what the games are really about, at all if this minor thing is enough to make you call it quits.

That's just my opinion.

Well now that I've had a good cry and I'm back in the gym allow me to explain. (Because I was really upset! Lol!) For me, it's not just about changing cloths. I can remember when I was playing gold and silver wondering why I couldn't be a girl. Then Crystal introduced that idea and has been running with it ever since because game freak realized that girls played this game too and gave us that option. Ever since we've had the ability to choose our identity. When Kalos was introduced and I could further customize my character to me it gave me the freedom to explore this game as myself. When I play my game, the protagonist is me. I'm the one capturing pokemon. I'm the one training them. I'm going on the journey, having the adventure, defeating the gyms and the Elite Four. It's me. And I have always wanted my character to look like me. Because in every pokemon game, each poke prof tell you to pick your first Pokemon they tell you to go on a journey. Your they may be speaking to your protagonist in the game but the protagonist is you. If I am the protagonist I want my protagonist look like me. Plain and simple. If the technology is available I should have the option to have my character look like me. Why? Because you gave me that freedom, you gave me that choice. I like representing my skin tone. I want to and now you've taken that choice, that freedom away to. The choice to create myself in my charater. To me Kalos was the most interactive and personal game to me yet. Yes I bought clothes but sit was like the first time I turned on the game and had the choice to be a boy or a girl. You see? I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is something freeing about being your true self in a game. I liked seeing me, a dark skinned girl, in the pokemon world. I think their excuse is just them being lazy. Team aqua gets to have dark skinned characters but I can't choose to be one anymore. Pikachu gets to where eligant and extreme costumes but I can't change cloths anymore. That....is bullshit no matter how you look at it. And as I said in my previous comment they could have kept the fashion stuff and made kalos cloths exclusively Kalos and made whole new designs further enriching the experience overall but they didn't. Laziness.

But that's just how I feel.

All that aside I do think it's a good idea to let game Freak know of my that so I will be writing them. (Lord knows what good that might actually do but hey, any things possible) and in the mean time I might as well play this game. After all I already put my money on it. Who knows? I might still enjoy it. But I am definitely saddened that I won't be able to be myself in the game. Or at least as close as I could have been.

THIS ISN'T THE SIMS

I don't see where anyone in this thread or otherwise was wanting sims level of customization. They just want basic RPG customizations and a chance for their avatar to represent them instead of the default Japanese/American/French child with bad fashion sense we've been stuck with since the original R/S/E games. For some, customizations were the first time since being able to chose to play as Female that you could be yourself in a game instead of being shoehorned into the same thing for a 6th time.

And just because it was optional doesn't mean there wasn't people that didn't enjoy it. I mean look at the secret base fans that liked customizing their little club houses even if they didn't use them for their intended purpose and never/couldn't mix(ed) records with people.

Will the remakes suck without the customization option? No. No they won't. Will the next gen or, Arceus willing, a third game suck with out it? Probably not. But something as basic as character customization, which many "Non-customizing games" have nowadays, should still be considered a logical next step after choosing to play as either male or female.

You said it @Cute Charm! I agree with you %100! ^-^

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom