• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Character Development Den (Questions)

“Do you have a favorite movie or book?”

"My favourite movies, always the ones about nature? Dokumenries? Documentaries. I never learned the names, so I'll have to find the best ones again by watching many documentaries. There was one book I loved... several books, about a boy who lived in forest, and a lycanroc who was like his brother, and they protected each other and hunted evil. I wanted to be like that with Laura."
Salem, purrloin-morph

"Oh man, favourites are hard! Like, I love this one movie about a wild human girl raised by ninetales who makes war on a town of industrialised humans, but I also love this other one about a human boy on an island who's the very first in his culture to befriend and ride a dragon-type pokémon. Those are just two films about contact and conflict between humans and nature that I love, and I can't even pick between those! As for books, I've always been very fond of this one series about a world where humans have their souls on the outside of their bodies, in the form of pokémon that can transform between different species. I just love that one concept so much, the idea that humans and pokémon are linked in some deep and spiritual way..."
-Alisha Renadier

Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, Princess Mononoke, How To Train Your Dragon, His Dark Materials.

What music have you been listening to lately?

Mirror Serena: "Music? Well, there's this one song that I've always really liked. It's called "Fistfight"... and it's the sound of my fist hitting someone else's face! Talk about music to my ears..."
Mirror Ash: "W-w-what!?"
Mirror Serena: "Oh relax, Ash... I was just joking around there. I don't do that kind of stuff anymore..."
Mirror Ash: "...Anymore!?"
Mirror Serena: "Only to those who really deserved it. But I don't need to hurt people to put them in their place... I understand that now."
Mirror Ash: "Oh..."
Mirror Serena: "...Why are you still looking at me all funny, Ash!? Geez, if you thought what I said was bad, you should've heard what some of these other people here had to say... but anyway! To actually answer this question... I really don't like music that much. Idols and boy bands and songs about love and Pokémon just aren't really my thing, you know? I prefer silence these days, honestly... I never got much of it when I was younger."

Mirror Serena: "What do you believe in above all else? For me, it's definitely not the inherent goodness of people, that's for sure. But I'd also like to think that there's some good in the world to balance out the bad..."

(Here's a strange one, as it's technically not my character, just my interpretation of an official one) Samus Aran, from the Metroid series: "Believe in? Depends on what you mean really. If you mean religiously, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I haven't yet figured that one out myself. I've seen countless cultures and religions across the cosmos that all so devoutly believe that they know the truth about the universe, and that everyone else has got it wrong. I'm almost jealous of their assuredness. However, if you're just talking about just some universal truth, I definitely know a couple of those. My favorite is simple. Even if everything seems stacked in the enemy's favor, I can confidently say there's at least one person out there fighting the good fight. Sometimes it's me, sometimes it's the Galactic Federation, sometimes it's someone else entirely, but the point is that there's always gonna be someone to fight for what they think is right, regardless of any arguments or obstacles put in their way."

"Now, for my question. I'm pretty aware that I'm not very in touch with my own emotions. Call it a side effect of being raised by the Chozo, who didn't exactly understand some of the more delicate parts of growing up for a human girl. I just don't understand my own thoughts sometimes. Do you ever feel like that? Like that everything your body is saying to you is in another language, like your brain is sending you mixed signals? Do you ever feel like you don't know how to feel about something?"

"O-oh... oh, I--I'm sorry. That put me through some feelings for a second. Can you give me a second? ... ...Okay, thank you. Y-yeah. There's a lot of that, to be honest. Most of the time, it's when I'm getting challenged to a fight, or if I just haven't fought in a while. I... I need it. I need to fight, and it doesn't make any sense when I feel that way. Wh-who needs to fight? But... it's just this hunger... Ugh. Just thinking about it makes me sick, sometimes. That's part of the reason why I became a part of the Association. I can fight outlaws, and go in Mystery Dungeons, and get my daily fight in. But... it doesn't take away the fact that I need it in the first place. I wish I could get rid of that feeling. I wish I fought so I was helping people, and not just satisfying some... I don't know. Something."
-Charmander Owen

"D-do you ever just feel like you're crazy?"

"Yes, frequently. Often, when dealing with strange portals to other dimension and similar insanity. But, to my everlasting horror, I haven't gone crazy yet." -Shirona

"Not once in twenty years. What I went through puts a new perspective on sanity." -Kotone

"Not since I met Shirona. I can think now." -Lena

"Every day of my life since I met Shirona." -Chris

"Ever since Bowser kidnapped me and brought me to this strange world." -Princess Peach
"Who are you, and what are you doing in my home?" -Shirona

EDIT: ninja'd, skip my question... unless eres' post didn't have any?

(incoming society rant from Red)

"Crazy is... a difficult word. When you say someone's a crazy person, you expect them to run around naked with feathers taped to their fingers pretending they're a majestic articuno soaring above us all. They'll tell you the sky is green and grass is blue but they're not supposed to tell you this as the aliens are after that knowledge.

However... I've been called crazy too, or some similar variant. Freak, insane, psycho. This can come from something understandable like ritualistic sacrifice - it's not a normal occurrence and it's a scary, stressful situation for the victim - but it can also come from something as minor as not being talkative or telling someone off for being annoying. I think people are very fast to call someone crazy just because they don't act like they want to.

But what does crazy mean to me? How would I define it? Well, you're insane when you do things that don't make sense. You think things that you logically shouldn't. By this definition, everyone except me is crazy, because only I seem to make sense in this world.

I don't care if someone dies if it doesn't affect me. It simply doesn't matter. But still you have all these people giving to charity. Starting up organizations and movements to make things better for someone with getting little to nothing in return. From what I understand, they have some strong primal instinct to protect their kind. But humans are everywhere nowadays. We're not going anywhere. In fact, we could use a little culling. If they can't overcome that instinct when logic gets in the way, how are they different from that articuno-man? His instinct is to be a bird. If you're supposed to follow your instincts, then that man is doing nothing wrong.

I know I can't sit here and say that I'm immune to instincts myself. Fear or anger can get the best of me and make me do something short-sighted. Primal nature taking over is just one of the limitations of being a human, a biological entity molded by millennia of trial and error in a constant battle for survival. However, I know which of my instincts go against common sense and resist them. Others embrace the need to protect their peers, even when it leads to famine, disease or overpopulation.

If crazy is just defined by what the majority at the time thinks is crazy, there's no guarantee for it to be anywhere near reality or have clear borders. If crazy is about making nonsensical decision based on the facts you have at hand... everyone is crazy. But I'm less crazy than the others.

But you're still gonna call me the crazy one, aren't you." - Red Akai

"Nah. I get lonely sometimes, but never crazy." - Pletora

"Would you rather live a day at half speed or double speed? Like slow motion and fast forward."

Last edited:
"Who are you, and what are you doing in my home?"

[I'M POKÉMON. STEAL FOOD. GOODBYE.]
-Salem, purrloin

"Call me Fox, if you like, but I'll be leaving now anyway. You don't get to know what I'm up to."
Alisha Renadier

"Would you rather live a day at half speed or double speed? Like slow motion and fast forward."

"If it was a bad day, it would be good to live it fast. Would be less painful, I think."
-Salem, purrloin-morph

"For sure I'd take the slow-mo. I'd get so much more done, I could fight better, and I'd even be able to think of witty comebacks on time, every time. Perfect."
-Alisha Renadier

"You got a smartphone? Use it much?"

Keldeo: *stares down at smartphone, taps it with his hoof and accidentally breaks it* Err… huh… *pushes the smartphone’s pieces with his muzzle out of camera's view* I… um, don’t think that would be a good idea, heh.

“You hear a cry for help from a dark and dangerous alley. What would you do?”

"I would rescue them. I've seen worse." - Wes, Chaos in Kludgetown

"What's an alley?" - Terramar, Your Heart Is in Two Worlds

(Yay for writing canon characters!)

What's your favourite genre of music?

"Lock-and-LOL." -Shirona
"That pun was awful! Just awful!" -Lena
"But, seriously, rock-and-roll." -Shirona

"The screams of frustration Shirona makes when I change her ringtones to Caramell songs." -Kotone
"That is just so wrong!" -Lena
"I am a fan of opera. I can sing along. I don't because windows are expensive." -Kotone

"Swing music, Celtic folk music, disco, and jazz. And one of the songs by Flogging Molly." -Lena

"J-POP-a-nuke." -Chris
"CHRIS!!!" -Lena
"Hah! Good one!" -Shirona
"Thank you! Thank you! Now excuse me while I celebrate by chugging a keg of beer and firing a minigun with my crotch!" -Chris
"Shiro, dear, I think we're a bad influence on the boy." -Kotone

EDIT: ninja'd, skip my question... unless eres' post didn't have any?

It didn't, because I was way too tired when I wrote it >.<

"If you had someone trying to destroy your world, even if the reasons why were perfectly understandable, would you be willing to kill them to stop them?"

Samus Aran (Again, whoops!): "World destroying is something I'm more familiar with than I'd like to admit. My planet count is four. Whether that's impressive or sobering, I'll leave up to you. But if I was on the other end of the problem... It's hard to say. The only home I ever had was Zebes, and that wasn't too friendly a place, and I ended up doing it in myself. I can appreciate someone trying to save a world that they love, so I'd say I'd most definitely be willing if I ever found myself in the situation."

"Something that always gets under my skin is the way some... people, I guess is the word I'll use, always manage to find their way back into my life even though I've done my best to be rid of them. Do you have anyone like that?"

"I know what you mean, I know just what you mean. Pokémon. They've infested my life no matter how far I run away from them. Every step I take, every breath I draw, they're there. Observing. Watching. Plotting. There's no escaping them. First second they're all sunshine and smiling, the next they want to rip my throat out." -Nogal, Two Perfect Cowards.

Right, and as for the question I have for you next...
Hey, why's that shadow slithering like a snake towards my keyboard?! Get back you freakazoid! GET TH...

Hello there and good evening. My name is of no concern and frankly speaking, so is yours. Before you I lay a question, a question whose answer may dictate whatever I'm about to inflict on the uncouth whose marvellous keyboard I now possess, my question to you is;

Now this dear thread has reached over a hundred posts and what good has it brought you? Has it aided you in your own work, enlightened you on a particular character you were curious about or has it brought you mild entertainment? Are you interested in hearing about a particular character responding to a specific question?

(Sorry if this sounds whack dear people, I'm just doing a bit of role-playing on the side for giggles. Don't hurt me.)

It's good for testing out ideas you have for directions to lead your character in. After all, no one's gonna come bother you if your character here doesn't 100% match up with how you've written them or with what you answer later on. Right now I'm trying to make Red more grounded in preparation for some Hunter, Haunted revisions, and I'm only starting out with characterizing Pletora. I'd say it's been useful. And this thread is just really fun, too.

However, as you're technically still asking the characters this question...

"I... have no idea what you're trying to tell me right now." - Pletora

"Hey, remember what I said about being crazy? I take it all back. This guy is the definition of crazy." - Red Akai

Q: "What are your opinions on the law enforcement in your area? Meaning your city, district, country or so."

"It's adorable how they think they can arrest me." -Shirona

"It's adorable how they think their bosses can't be bribed into letting Shirona free." -Kotone

"Slightly less useless than our city government." -Lena

"You can always find a police officer by googling 'donut shop.' And if you buy them a dozen, they might actually solve your crime." -Chris

"I'm a wanted international terrorist and I've been living here for years." -Brasenie

"If you could improve the police in your area in any way, what would it be?"

Brian Donnel: "Ha! Improve the Galactic Federation, that's a good one. That ship sailed ages ago, I'm afraid. But as for what I'd want fixed, I'd love it if they'd stop dirtying their hands with so many black projects. Or, at least get better at hiding them."

"Staying on the topic of law enforcement to a certain degree, how do you feel about vigilantism?"

"Not a good thing. While I have no problems with it on an 'ethical' level, it's beneficial for a criminal like me to have others stick to the law. Since I leave no sufficient proof behind, I can't be imprisoned due to the innocent-until-proven-guilty principle. However, vigilantes go past that: they'll want their revenge, be it lawful or not. This results in additional enemies to keep track of." - Red Akai

"Unlike in Guilds, there are no laws in the wilds. If you want to punish the cruel and unjust in a place like that, go ahead. But don't be needlessly cruel yourself, or you'll become the enemy and hurt the innocent. Show mercy when you can." - Pletora

Q: "Would you rather be able to fly or turn invisible at will?"

"I'd rather have invisibility, for sure. It would've made my life so much easier if I could've just disappeared whenever I wanted. Maybe I could've even disappeared permanently, and have run away to some nice far-off region like Hoenn or Alola or something."
- Mirror Serena

"Do you forgive easily? I can't say that I even trust people that easily anymore, so make of that what you will..."

Loxas Rush: "It depends on what the offense is. Somethings I can forgive, no sweat. Others aren't so easy, and as much as I'd like to forgive and forget, certain things cannot go unpunished."

"How far would you be willing to go to protect those you consider family?"

"I murdered one of Akagi's Pokemon and tried to murder him. In my defense, he was trying to end the world at the time, so I may have been a bit sloppier than normal." -Shirona

"If you threaten my family, I will make you watch as I slowly torture to death everyone you know and love." -Kotone

"Same as Kotone, but I'll force you to share their experiences with my telepathy." -Lena

"I was made for war. You will learn to worship me out of fear by the time I'm done with you." -Zekintha

"I'm too terrified of everyone else's answers to speak." -Chris

"What is one song you simply cannot stand that a loved one utterly enjoys, and why can't you stand it?"

Now this dear thread has reached over a hundred posts and what good has it brought you?

It's been a great way to practice Salem's dialogue ahead of her first speaking role. Makes me want to try my hand at RP again.

"What is one song you simply cannot stand that a loved one utterly enjoys, and why can't you stand it?"

"Actually, when I was a purrloin, all music was only sounds. I couldn't understand it. I didn't feel anything. Now I am a hybrid, all music is fascinating. I always feel something. I don't understand hating a song, I don't think."
-Salem, purrloin-morph

What are you most ashamed of?

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom