• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Discussion Thread

Re: Black & White 2 Character Discussion Thread

Anyone else think Darach will appear at some point? After all, wasn't it said in an interview in Nintendo Dream that Darach is still keeping an eye on Caitlin?

Anyone else think Darach will appear at some point? After all, wasn't it said in an interview in Nintendo Dream that Darach is still keeping an eye on Caitlin?

That's right! He probably will since they hinted at that, and now we're getting sequels. Also coupled with the theory about Black Empoleon on Tubeline Bridge. So there's a good chance he'll reappear with maybe some scene with Caitlin.

I'm really disappointed by the new revelation about Cheren being the FIRST GL!

I mean it was pretty obvious he will have this role in the Sequels! But his Place in the order and Pokemon type are pretty disappointing! Yes the story was going into the direction that he isn't obsessed with Power but this is just MeHhhhh! XD

I imagined him being 7th or 8th but this is just a bit foolish! But no body is asking us! But the rest of the game looks promising!

Bianca looks awesome!

The tournament is an awesome new feature but would be nice if we could challenge Rivals and PC's as well!

His type isn't disappointing. Normal is one of the best types in the game!

Disappointing is him using a damn Patrat with so many good Pokémon out there.

I absolutely LOVE all that was confirmed, the tournament, which was already a fan favorite idea, not hard to see why, i REALLY LOVED the route they took with Cheren, (yay for character development on pokémon games!!!) and Bianca... Iamspeechless, she's even more beautiful than before (i love girls with glassess), the AR professor has an awesome design aswell, makes me think she has a Zebstrika or a Blitzle, but probably not, and Bianca giving you your starter is a great addition too, and i'm really glad, unlike some people, that Cheren's the first leader, it makes so.much.sense for his development.

Most importantly though... N!! I was beggining to think he'd be gone from this games, don't get me wrong, i'd still buy them without a moment's hesitation, but knowing he's back is another point towards the sequels being great, and now i really want to see the player characters, but i hope they both get dialogue, so they won't be reduced to ''...'' like Red in HGSS, i really do wonder if his vocal chords were frozen by standing on top of a freaking mountain with just a tee.

Late to the party, but it probably doesn't take a lot of brainpower to guess that I'm very happy Alder's back.

As for the tournament thing, it's a very cool idea, and I'm especially happy to see Giovanni again (Maybe this'll put an end to that absurd suicide theory), though I do wonder how he entered, being a wanted criminal and all.

I'm concerned though. Where is everyone from Hoenn? Besides Steven, there hasn't been any Hoenn characters shown yet. I just hope they don't get left out.

I expect Cheren to be a challenge. A normal type gym leader, and so early in the game?

I expect Cheren to be a challenge. A normal type gym leader, and so early in the game? Seems troublesome.

I expect Cheren to be a challenge. A normal type gym leader, and so early in the game?

Yep, it definetly doesn't sound too good, and with Patrat's disruptive capabilities...

I guess Cheren is no stranger to being a pain in the ass to battle. I never did like battling him post-game. >_>

I guess Cheren is no stranger to being a pain in the ass to battle. I never did like battling him post-game. >_>
You can say that again. His Gigalith and starter are pains 'cause they don't go down in one hit...

So... Any idea what's up with Rood and the Plasma Grunt?

I'm hoping Patrat's at least his leading Pokemon and not his ace in the hole, though the cynic in me says otherwise. But either way, Patrat's still very boring...

So... Any idea what's up with Rood and the Plasma Grunt?

In that screenshot, I think Rood is talking about N understanding the hearts of Pokemon, and becoming a stronger and better person because of it.

i love cheren's development.

a power-hungry douchebag hipster took everything the brilliant champion alder taught him to heart to become the least powerful gym leader using baby little pokemons and teaching the lessons he learned to new trainers so that nobody else becomes a gigantic douchebag like he was.

spectacular.

i love cheren's development.

a power-hungry douchebag hipster took everything the brilliant champion alder taught him to heart to become the least powerful gym leader using baby little pokemons and teaching the lessons he learned to new trainers so that nobody else becomes a gigantic douchebag like he was.

spectacular.

Splendid post. This is what makes Cheren an awesome character.

If he have chosen to be the last gym leader, he would probably still be a douchebag like he was and some other gym leader still is.

Last edited:

If he have chosen to be the last gym leader, he would probably still be a douchebag like he was and some other gym leader still is.

A brooding douchebag. Seems like eighth gyms are notorious for gym leaders who think they're better than everyone else. Granted, most of them actually were (though Clair seems to have had an overinflated ego thanks to essentially being royalty in Blackthorn and the Champion's cousin, and Maylene's rematch Pokemon were stronger than Volkner's suggesting she may have had a stronger potential), but it's nice to actually have a gym leader who probably is more qualified than the Elite 4, and not brag about their power.

While Cheren becoming Gym Leader (or Champion) was obvious, I really feared his becoming a Gym Leader since I was afraid he'd become a carbon copy of Blue, or become a Champion and become a carbon copy of Alder. Being the first gym leader may actually be the best choice Game Freak could have made for him.

Well remember that what is the first Gym to us might not be the first Gym to other trainers in-game, and Gyms might act as power limiters if you're battling new inexperienced trainers. Like if there was a newbie trainer in Opelucid, I doubt Drayden/Iris would use a level 43 Haxorus. We know that Cheren has stronger Pokémon in his arsenal and might use that for potentially stronger trainers.

But other than that, you're right, Cheren's an awesome character with great character development. :D And it is noteworthy that his Gym is the trainer school (right?) so he'll teach new trainers not to be like his old douchey self. I do wonder if he'll be a teacher/mentor of sorts since he's at the trainer school.

While I agree that Cheren's character development is good, he was never a douchebag to begin with. He was never really rude, nor was he power hungry to the point that even if he hadn't changed, it would not have particular hurt anyone.

Those two honors belong to douchebag Silver, not Cheren. But anyways, I am glad that he essentially took the opposite route that Blue took. They both took paths that would best benefit their new ideals about Pokemon.

A brooding douchebag. Seems like eighth gyms are notorious for gym leaders who think they're better than everyone else. Granted, most of them actually were (though Clair seems to have had an overinflated ego thanks to essentially being royalty in Blackthorn and the Champion's cousin, and Maylene's rematch Pokemon were stronger than Volkner's suggesting she may have had a stronger potential), but it's nice to actually have a gym leader who probably is more qualified than the Elite 4, and not brag about their power.
The only ones who don't think that they are better than any other trainer are Drayden and Iris.
Or maybe they think, but don't express in words? Guess not.

While Cheren becoming Gym Leader (or Champion) was obvious, I really feared his becoming a Gym Leader since I was afraid he'd become a carbon copy of Blue, or become a Champion and become a carbon copy of Alder. Being the first gym leader may actually be the best choice Game Freak could have made for him.

I was certain that Cheren would be the new Blue. I am really glad I was wrong.

Talking about Iris, I wonder if she will still be a gym leader in BW2.
I really want to see her older self.

Those two honors belong to douchebag Silver, not Cheren. But anyways, I am glad that he essentially took the opposite route that Blue took. They both took paths that would best benefit their new ideals about Pokemon.
I disagree with that last line. I think for Blue, becoming a gym leader was fading into obscurity while trying to cling onto what he once had:

"Who are you? My name's Blue. I was once the Kanto Champion. Although it was short-lived thanks to Red... Anyway, take a good look around you... A volcano erupts, and just like that, a whole town disappears. We can go on winning and losing in Pokémon, but if nature so much as twitches, we can be overwhelmed in a second... That's the way it is... But, anyway, I'm still a Trainer. If I see a strong opponent, it makes me want to battle. If you want to battle me... for real, show me how many Kanto Badges you've got. ... <0 to 6 Badges>... You're not ready to battle me..."
Honestly, that bold line makes it seem like he thinks his battle with Red could have gone either way, even though Oak's line suggests otherwise: "...do you understand why you lost? You have forgotten to treat your Pokémon with love and trust. Without them, you will never become a Champ again!"

Do you see how he addresses the current Johto League Champion? Beat him, and he still wonders why he lost.

@Nyarlathotep;

Even if Drayden and Iris were like that, I think they were too busy making sure the PC (since the PC was chosen by N as his adversary) was strong enough to save the world. I mean, even if they acted like that, they actually have just cause for telling you that you aren't ready (given that the fate of Unova rests on your shoulders). Actually, when I think about it, why didn't Drayden and Iris test you further!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom