• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Discussion Thread

Those XTransceiver trainers have a pretty interesting role via Serebii...

Pokémon Black 2 & Pokémon White 2 - In-Game Trades

Method:
To get these trades is rather convuluted. You first need to find the Forgotten Item in Nimbasa City. From there, you will be called when you enter random areas by the owner of the item. After the 10th call, the person will call you and tell you to meet in Nimbasa to return their Item. When you do, they will be added to your Xtransceiver. Call them to total 30 times, but you can only call from places which fulfill the conditions. On the 30th call they'll tell you they want to meet at Nimbasa City where they'll ride the Ferris Wheel with you. Call them to total 50 times, in the 40th call they'll be 'SOUND ONLY', in the 50th call they'll be wearing their work clothes, and cut the line in a second or so. Call them a 51st time. wait a day and then call them again and they'll meet you in Nimbasa City and offer to trade, willing to have any Pokémon. This can be repeated each day to go through all of their Pokémon. The Pokémon you receive varies based on your gender
The areas are as follows:
Behind the Pokemon Centre in Nimbasa City
Near the Officer in Route 16
Behind the fence on the bottom of Route 5
Somewhere near the slope to Clay Road in Driftveil City
Across the first bridge and near the ledges of Route 6
Around the stairs near the Breeder in Route 7
On the Airstrip of Mistralton City
Route 9 near the Hidden Hollow
Yamaji Town near the stairs.
Undella Town between 2 rocks
Route 13 near the start from Undella Town which is behind the ledge. Somewhere around there. There's rocks and a Fisherman.
those are the only ones so far

They have like 10 trades each, including Snorlax, Spiritomb, and Togepi. :0-

o_O

This is like filling the dex, too much work for nothing really interesting.

I dunno, somewhat rare Pokemon like Spiritomb with rare items (Rare Candy, Lava Cookie, Old Chateau) and Dream World abilities is nice.

Lame. This game and its heterosexual agenda. On the plus side, at least I get female Pokemon with their DW ability....not like I didn't have all the ones I wanted.

So where does Ruri and Tetsu work that they wear those fancy clothes and headphones?
When you phone them up the 40th time, they say they're wearing their work clothes, so they can't do video, so appear as 'SOUND ONLY', then when you phone them up the 50th time, they appear in those outfits (their work clothes), say what is about 'Hi!...oops' then hang up, explaining on the 51st call they thought you were someone else.

So why do they not want you to see them in their work clothes?

I still don't understand who these people are.

I assume they're embarrassed.

There's not exactly much actually said. They say they're always going off to faraway regions such as Kanto (likes the Clefairy), Johto (likes the history), Hoenn (likes the different towns) and Sinnoh (likes the Great Marsh), they're always busy with their job, and they have Pokemon around them. But mostly they just say random things like asking if you've been to the Battle Institute.

So they're celebrity idols? I guess that kind of explains the headphones...kind of. I thought they may have been announcers.

I love how the only thing worth noting about Kanto is the Clefairy :p

I'm really thinking these characters may be the reason there's a chapter on characters in the post-game guidebooks. Complicated trade sequence and really confusing background....

Last edited:
Translation of some of Marlon's line, originally posted by myriada on serebii forums:

Wassa! Yo! Ya wanna challenge the Pokemon Gym, rite? I'm the Gym Leader, Marlon. Sorry ya had to search for me. Swimming with Pokemon feels so nice, and can take ya so far... Hey! I'll be in da gym!

Marlon: Yo! Guys! So who're these Team Plasma guys?
Hugh: Team Plasma are so...! They're bad guys who stole my sister... no, many people's Pokemon, and are planning to turn Unova to Ice and rule over it with the power of Pokemon! Marlon, don't you know about them?
Marlon: Of course not! Ya don't care bout things like that when ya live in da sea! In the end, da sea accepts all rivers anyway. So ya think Team Plasma are bad guys, guys?
>Yes.
>>Marlon: So ya fight 'em cuz they're bad guys?
>No.
>>Marlon: So ya don't think they're bad guys... but yet ya still fight 'em.
If dat's what ya wanna do, then go ahead. If ya do dat, then ya'll find out what ya really want, and what ya really desire.
Well then, see ya...
Hugh: What the heck!? I don't know if he's just bighearted or if he's irresponsible, but when the opponent's Team Plasma, you can't just be so laid back! Get a hold of yourself!... but anyway, for now we better find out where they are. Okay! Let's split up! You take Route 22!

Hugh: ...but how're we gonna get in?
???: Hold on a sec!
An impressive-looking trap descended...!
Marlon: This'll do!
Hugh: I thought you weren't going to fight Team Plasma...?
Marlon: Of course not! I've no grudge with Team Plasma. Do they really do bad things, I don't know. But to take sides even though everyone else says 'They're bad guys...!' ain't my style! But since ya'll were stuck, I thought I'd help out. That's what I do!
Hugh: ...Thanks.
Marlon: Listen, okay! Guys, have faith! Whether you wanna take back stolen Pokemon! Whether you wanna protect Unova from turning to Ice! Whatever your reasons are, they're your own! The strength of your faith will give you and your Pokemon strength!
...looks like in the ruckus many people came out!
Yo, take care of yaself!
Hugh: What the heck!? What an indecisive guy! Or maybe that's his own form of kindness... Anyway, let's go!!

LOL, I love this guy.

So I'm assuming he's Truly Neutral in the alignment department, doing what he feels he wants to do. Makes no sense considering how leaders were built in BW to serve a greater purpose in the grand scheme of things, and now they put them back into second seat checkpoints for game progress. Gamefreak give us better character development this time round, but completely screws up in the general world building.

Going by the lines we're already given in the English website, I'd say that's a pretty good translation of how he's going to talk. Probably a better translation though.....

So I'm assuming he's Truly Neutral in the alignment department, doing what he feels he wants to do. Makes no sense considering how leaders were built in BW to serve a greater purpose in the grand scheme of things, and now they put them back into second seat checkpoints for game progress. Gamefreak give us better character development this time round, but completely screws up in the general world building.
You know what's really amazing though, Marlon manages to come off kind of stupid in these lines (hence the whole "his philosophical thinking gets hidden away by his lifestyle" description they gave), yet they managed to create a real true neutral character rather than making him stupid neutral. You've got to hand it to Game Freak there, being able to create a character who doesn't judge others based on what he is told of them.

$10 says that people on TVTropes call him stupid neutral since they clearly don't even read their own trope pages when applying examples.

EDIT:
Technically, doesn't Corless count as True Neutral as well? He only researched for Team Plasma purely for his own interest in finding out how to unleash a Pokémon's true potential regardless of what happens to Unova, and then tells the player how to find Ghetsis "because he really doesn't like him to begin with" and because the player opened his eyes to an alternate way of unleashing a Pokemon's potential.

Last edited:
Going by the lines we're already given in the English website, I'd say that's a pretty good translation of how he's going to talk. Probably a better translation though.....

You know what's really amazing though, Marlon manages to come off kind of stupid in these lines (hence the whole "his philosophical thinking gets hidden away by his lifestyle" description they gave), yet they managed to create a real true neutral character rather than making him stupid neutral. You've got to hand it to Game Freak there, being able to create a character who doesn't judge others based on what he is told of them.

$10 says that people on TVTropes call him stupid neutral since they clearly don't even read their own trope pages when applying examples.

EDIT:
Technically, doesn't Corless count as True Neutral as well? He only researched for Team Plasma purely for his own interest in finding out how to unleash a Pokémon's true potential regardless of what happens to Unova, and then tells the player how to find Ghetsis "because he really doesn't like him to begin with" and because the player opened his eyes to an alternate way of unleashing a Pokemon's potential.
Oh yeah GF definitely does get an award in that department, they're handing out character depth like candy, and its becoming a wonderful thing to behold. Gen 6 is gonna deliver in that department. As for Achroma, Chaotic Neutral is more fitting for him. He does things for himself, and couldn't give a damn for anyone else. Hell, the easydamus page example is pretty spot on with him:
The Alignment System - Chaotic Neutral
Once he saw someone kick his and then some, he skipped town, disbanded Plasma and found his own little world to escape to.

So I guess that's the part where he gives "passionate advice". Huh.

Translation of some of Marlon's line, originally posted by myriada on serebii forums:

Wassa! Yo! Ya wanna challenge the Pokemon Gym, rite? I'm the Gym Leader, Marlon. Sorry ya had to search for me. Swimming with Pokemon feels so nice, and can take ya so far... Hey! I'll be in da gym!

Marlon: Yo! Guys! So who're these Team Plasma guys?
Hugh: Team Plasma are so...! They're bad guys who stole my sister... no, many people's Pokemon, and are planning to turn Unova to Ice and rule over it with the power of Pokemon! Marlon, don't you know about them?
Marlon: Of course not! Ya don't care bout things like that when ya live in da sea! In the end, da sea accepts all rivers anyway. So ya think Team Plasma are bad guys, guys?
>Yes.
>>Marlon: So ya fight 'em cuz they're bad guys?
>No.
>>Marlon: So ya don't think they're bad guys... but yet ya still fight 'em.
If dat's what ya wanna do, then go ahead. If ya do dat, then ya'll find out what ya really want, and what ya really desire.
Well then, see ya...
Hugh: What the heck!? I don't know if he's just bighearted or if he's irresponsible, but when the opponent's Team Plasma, you can't just be so laid back! Get a hold of yourself!... but anyway, for now we better find out where they are. Okay! Let's split up! You take Route 22!

Hugh: ...but how're we gonna get in?
???: Hold on a sec!
An impressive-looking trap descended...!
Marlon: This'll do!
Hugh: I thought you weren't going to fight Team Plasma...?
Marlon: Of course not! I've no grudge with Team Plasma. Do they really do bad things, I don't know. But to take sides even though everyone else says 'They're bad guys...!' ain't my style! But since ya'll were stuck, I thought I'd help out. That's what I do!
Hugh: ...Thanks.
Marlon: Listen, okay! Guys, have faith! Whether you wanna take back stolen Pokemon! Whether you wanna protect Unova from turning to Ice! Whatever your reasons are, they're your own! The strength of your faith will give you and your Pokemon strength!
...looks like in the ruckus many people came out!
Yo, take care of yaself!
Hugh: What the heck!? What an indecisive guy! Or maybe that's his own form of kindness... Anyway, let's go!!

LOL, I love this guy.

For some reason, I kept hearing those lines in dub!Meowth's voice in my head. ._.; Must be all those "dats". Is that how you translate a Kyushu accent?

I think it would be hard to find an english analogue for the various Japanese dialects, so they might have to make do with something else. This one anime I saw gave a person from Osaka a southern accent. o_0

Do you think Corocoro goofed with Shizui? It mentioned him as "helping the player" or something, along with "bighearted" and "giving passionate advice". It made me think he was going to be like Alder and meet the PC a few times through out the game. The latter two I could sort of see in the actual game dialogue. (my sig might be a liiiiiiiie baaaaaw)

I still like the dude a lot, but I'm a bit disappointed in what I had hoped him to be (and had a very good reason for leaving them at the frigate).

I don't know Marlon, pretty sure when someone's goal literally involves freezing an entire region, there's no gray-area. :/

I don't know Marlon, pretty sure when someone's goal literally involves freezing an entire region, there's no gray-area. :/

Freeze the sea and maybe he's start considering helping.

"You can freeze my region, steal other's Pokemon and do all sorts of evil deeds. But freezing the sea... IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!

Marlon isn't really obligated to care about what happens or not with Unova. Maybe the deaths of a lot of people and Pokémon does not bother him.

We can see from the official English site that they're basically giving Marlon a laid-back way of speaking.

As for why he's not helping, his philosophy is to not judge others based on what people say about them. Sure, you say Team Plasma is evil, but he has no first hand experience with either Plasma or the Player Character....a person could easily just say someone's evil to turn them against you. I think that's the main point.

Marlon isn't really obligated to care about what happens or not with Unova. Maybe the deaths of a lot of people and Pokémon does not bother him.

Well, I actually do think he cares, but at the point he says the line, I'm pretty sure he himself hasn't seen Plasma doing anything, so, once again it proves his personality in not judging people before seeing with his own eyes, like others have said.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom