• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Discussion Thread

I think it's a bit difficult to see where Marlon is coming from. Since we, the player character, have already been exposed to so much of Team Plasma (past and present), it's a bit jarring to have someone like Marlon take such a neutral stance on the issue.

Well, I actually do think he cares, but at the point he says the line, I'm pretty sure he himself hasn't seen Plasma doing anything, so, once again it proves his personality in not judging people before seeing with his own eyes, like others have said.

Exactly! And I appreciate this attitude of him.

It does not matter if other characters knows and/or have seen what Team Plasma did and plan to do.
He did not see Plasma doing anything, so he will not judge or battle them.

It is nice to have a character with different values once in a while.

One thing that I remember reading in one of the various interviews that I was linked (not sure if it was Iwata Asks or Famitsu or even something else), was that how Team Plasma were portrayed in each area of Unova would influence how they're thought of in B2W2, from each area's different opinion of them.

Marlon could be the extreme of this -- two years ago, perhaps they never bothered Seigaiha, and since there's even a character that says Marlon's said to spend seven days and seven nights a week in the sea, it could be just that ignorance is bliss.

Well, Seigaiha wasn't there 2 years ago, so...

Not to mention we don't know how fast news travels around Unova, but that shouldn't stop a whole town from being ignorant since I saw TVs in the huts. Did anyone in Shizui's town ever mention the sudden ices in Opelucid?

Also, Shizui setting off the "trap-the-oddly-is-a-ship's-gangplank" makes it seems that he does care, somewhat, so the PC/Rival and Plasma can duke it out to see who's "in the right", and he doesn't want in on that. It would've been alright if he saw Plasma do their dirty business, and THEN see how evil they are firsthand, but that's a bit cliche and was used for the other gym leaders. It's interesting to have a true neutral character.

Oh god, I feel like I'm contradicting myself somewhere from my earlier posts, but I'm starting to see how he really ticks, lessening my aforementioned disappointment.

There's also this example in one of my classes regarding differences in how people see events play out in which some people see events unfold linearly, that is, when something negative happens, it will only result in negative outcomes, while others see it nonlinearly, where negative events can breed both positive and negative results. For a fictional example, Avatar Kyoshi's creation of the Dai Li had the immediate positive effect of stopping the peasant rebellion and making the Earth King listen to his citizens' problems, but in the long run created a corrupt government force.

...but basically, what I'm saying is that what if Marlon doesn't see events unfolding in a linear fashion? Here's an in-game example. Ghetsis basically raises N to be his pawn, and if you see things unfolding linearly, you'd assume the rest of N's life would be terrible and all of Ghetsis' actions only result in people getting hurt. But what happened as a result of Ghetsis' actions is that N now travels the world teaching people about how to live in harmony with Pokemon. What's even more interesting is that Ghetsis' actions also lead Alder to re-evaluate his role as Champion, leading him to retire so he can spread the word on how to live with Pokemon, and Brycen to reprise his movie star roles so he can use movies to spread this message. Remember that before this, Alder was roaming Unova depressed about his dead Pokemon, and Brycen became a recluse gym leader. So perhaps Marlon doesn't like to make snap cause-and-effect judgments either.

Regardless of what he is thinking, I think what's obvious is that his personality fits his type speciality--like water, Marlon goes with the flow.
Well, Seigaiha wasn't there 2 years ago, so...

I'm pretty sure those towns existed and were simply not featured on the map because we weren't visiting them...just like how Liberty Garden wasn't featured on the initial BW Map despite confirmation of it existing for 200 years.

Last edited:
Wasn't Aspertia a new settlement? How "old" is the Marine tube supposed to be? Just curious about clearing stuff up is all.

Speaking of Plasma run-ins, did Roxie have one?

New settlement doesn't mean "popped up in less than two years" nor does it mean every unseen city had been newly developed, but yeah, I'd like to hear more about this.

Does the old Team Plasma help you against Neo Team Plasma?

Nope, they're just chilling at a house in Driftveil for most of the game. Nothing really special.

And what are they doing there?
Looking after the Pokemon that Team Plasma of two years ago stole, that have not yet been reunited with their trainers.

Also, they do help you quite a bit. The old Team Plasma grunt that you meet on the bridge in Driftveil masquerades as a new Team Plasma grunt, and helps you through puzzles and guides you in the Frigate and the Giant Chasm.

Also, they do help you quite a bit. The old Team Plasma grunt that you meet on the bridge in Driftveil masquerades as a new Team Plasma grunt, and helps you through puzzles and guides you in the Frigate and the Giant Chasm.

Oh, I didn't know about that. That's actually pretty cool.

Does the old Team Plasma help you against Neo Team Plasma?

Nope, they're just chilling at a house in Driftveil for most of the game. Nothing really special.

And what are they doing there?
Looking after the Pokemon that Team Plasma of two years ago stole, that have not yet been reunited with their trainers.

Diminished, nearly disbanded, underpowered, they can't do much more to help. In fact, entrusting you a top percentage Zorua and sending a spy to New Team Plasma is a big thing.

In the back room of the Plasma house there's a grunt with a Patrat. I remember a grunt in BW commenting he got attached with a Patrat and unwilling to free it, I guess it's the same, no?

Pokémon Black 2 & Pokémon White 2 - N's Pokémon

So, given that Zorua had a set nature, I was wondering if his other Pokemon did as well, and evidently, they do. Now, I want to know if the gender is set as well. I mean it should be, given that we've encountered them in BW...but then, Red's Pikachu should also have a set gender but didn't. Let's hope Game Freak didn't screw this one up.

Some of them have an okay nature I guess....but others don't. His Darmanitan clearly is being made out to be used as Zen-Mode with its Calm Nature. I wonder....do they have high IV's too? It would be awesome for breeding purposes.

EDIT:

Also, N has a second Woobat in the intro...I know its overkill, but it would have been nice to catch both. Personally, I think the Darumaka he uses and the Zoroark you get are the children of the Darmanitan in that image and the Zoroark he uses in his final battle.

Last edited:
So did N have 2 Klinks? We can catch the one he released, but in BW he has a Klinklang in the final battle, doesn't he?

So did N have 2 Klinks? We can catch the one he released, but in BW he has a Klinklang in the final battle, doesn't he?

Well, it seems as though he had two, but we don't catch any of his Fifth Battle Pokemon (other than the dragon). It's entirely possible these ones may have been Pokemon that Team Plasma liberated given that you can't catch fossils in the wild.

The official website, which has been updated. I think that Banjiro will be given artwork next month, but there aren't any other notable characters with new designs, are there? Technically, the Shadow Triad deserve new artwork due to not having any to begin with. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were ignored again like Athena and Concordia, who actually have new sprites and aren't replicas of each other.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom