• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Discussion Thread

Well, hopefully relatives that aren't actual children. o_o

Maybe like an ex-wife who left after his descent into madness or his father who gives us some insight on his childhood. The possibilities are endless.

I'm slowly but surely morphing into a Colress fangirl. GAH! I don't want to be sucked into the deep dark fandom hole! YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!
Mr. Internet Explorer FTW :3

Indeed, Colress is quite a hot scientist, isn't he? Looking forward to meeting him in-game. SpectralColorShipper FTW

@Miles101; SpectralColor is Colress/Kyouhei, hoho. 8D; Really, hot characters like Colress get pairings by the dozen the day they're revealed.

Maybe like an ex-wife who left after his descent into madness or his father who gives us some insight on his childhood. The possibilities are endless.

I think it's highly possible that we'll see one of Ghetsis's parents in the next generation. They'd finally tell us why Ghetsis is so screwed up.

I think it's highly possible that we'll see one of Ghetsis's parents in the next generation. They'd finally tell us why Ghetsis is so screwed up.

Hopefully, maybe not so much outright but still enough info to draw conclusions.

@Miles101; SpectralColor is Colress/Kyouhei, hoho. 8D; Really, hot characters like Colress get pairings by the dozen the day they're revealed.

I prefer Colress/Mei but not at all in a "hot buttered sex" thing but rather I see it as Colress being a good friend to Mei (though she thinks he's cute) and Mei's like a daughter to Colress (it's less creepy than you'd think) which leads to complications when Colress's allegiance with Team Plasma's revealed.

Hopefully, maybe not so much outright but still enough info to draw conclusions.

I prefer Colress/Mei but not at all in a "hot buttered sex" thing but rather I see it as Colress being a good friend to Mei (though she thinks he's cute) and Mei's like a daughter to Colress (it's less creepy than you'd think) which leads to complications when Colress's allegiance with Team Plasma's revealed.

Meh, Mei looks to be about 16. Colress seems older than that so I don't pair them.

Also, isn't Ghetsis a bit old for his parents to be alive?

In my opinion, Kyohei and Mei look about 13~14. Hilda and Hilbert were specifically mentioned to be older than previous player characters, so I'd say they're about 15~16.

Although I'm not sure why Cheren and Bianca have their ages listed as 10 in B/W and 12 in B2/W2 on their Bulbapedia pages. I'd just assumed they were the same age as Hilda/Hilbert.

Also, isn't Ghetsis a bit old for his parents to be alive?

I'd put him in his late thirties/early fourties so a parent would be alive (albeit pretty old).

His hair is grayish though, which would imply older age. Fifties, I'd say. I guess parents would still be alive, but I think we're missing the whole point: Pokémon loves to leave parents out of the equation. Most characters have only one parent known, if at all.

I have a question. Why is Mei so cute?
Sorry, couldn't resist. Apparently, I'm developing some kind of crush on her. Hell yeah she has the biggest boobs out of all female protagonists! I must say, the girl character absolutely beats the boy character in overall design once again. It's been like that forever. Not that I really care, but, is it so hard to create a decent male protagonist? (Why do I keep asking questions that can't be properly answered?)

@Egoistical Machine; That's a matter of opinion, man. I actually think the boy protagonists are MUCH cooler and better designed. They're dressed for an adventure, unlike the girls who look like they're dressed for the mall (except Hilda and maybe Kris). The girls would actually be better if they didn't exist just for fanservice. :| There's no right or wrong opinion, but I felt like arguing.

@smalllady; As for why Cheren and Bianca are listed so young on Bulbapedia, isn't that something to bring up on their talk pages? D: 'Cause I agree, they certainly don't look like they're 10.

That's a matter of opinion, man. I actually think the boy protagonists are MUCH cooler and better designed. They're dressed for an adventure, unlike the girls who look like they're dressed for the mall (except Hilda and maybe Kris). The girls would actually be better if they didn't exist just for fanservice. :| There's no right or wrong opinion, but I felt like arguing.

I'm aware it's a matter of opinion. I doubt I was implying otherwise. Concerning the fanservice part, I must disagree. No, they aren't dressed like prostitutes at all. Wearing short skirts doesn't automatically equal being that type of woman, nor fanservice. Don't take this as offense, but I think you're a little paranoid. I'm not talking rude, I swear. Just wanted to point that out. As for why I dislike male protagonists, the reason is that they look plain to me. I fail to see anything special in them. Up until generation IV, they always seemed like clones of Red with different clothes. In generation V we finally got some properly differently designed ones, only to (in my humble opinion) still have them look not so great. I'd say Touya, while not particularly interesting, is the best one among all of them. Because Kyouhei is... well... I find him stupid-looking. His face, his hair, his clothes... I simply find them ridiculous.

That's a matter of opinion, man. I actually think the boy protagonists are MUCH cooler and better designed. They're dressed for an adventure, unlike the girls who look like they're dressed for the mall (except Hilda and maybe Kris). The girls would actually be better if they didn't exist just for fanservice. :| There's no right or wrong opinion, but I felt like arguing.

I'm aware it's a matter of opinion. I doubt I was implying otherwise. Concerning the fanservice part, I must disagree. No, they aren't dressed like prostitutes at all. Wearing short skirts doesn't automatically equal being that type of woman, nor fanservice. Don't take this as offense, but I think you're a little paranoid. I'm not talking rude, I swear. Just wanted to point that out. As for why I dislike male protagonists, the reason is that they look plain to me. I fail to see anything special in them. Up until generation IV, they always seemed like clones of Red with different clothes. In generation V we finally got some properly differently designed ones, only to (in my humble opinion) still have them look not so great. I'd say Touya, while not particularly interesting, is the best one among all of them. Because Kyouhei is... well... I find him stupid-looking. His face, his hair, his clothes... I simply find them ridiculous.

I never said they were prostitutes dude! D8 Only that they're blatantly showing as much skin as possible while the boy character is conveniently fully dressed. Hilda's lack of outfit VS Hilbert being fully dressed, you know? It's disgusting, there's NO REASON for her to be so completely undressed other than fanservice. Mei thankfully isn't fanserviced up, but she's the only one. I wouldn't be half as bitter if all the girls were like that.

I mean, the ONLY boy character to wear shorts AND show legs is Ethan. And not one single boy character is sleeveless. Each pair of protagonists, the girl is always showing more skin than the boy character. Dawn is probably the most blatant fanservice bait. Especially her Platinum outfit, it wouldn't be hard to make her outfit practical. But nooo, she needs grade-A zettai ryouiki instead. The girls themselves aren't "slutty", I know that, but the way they were designed was just fanservice. I don't want to play a girl who's completely dressed down.

And as for the "Red clone" thing, Ethan and Hilbert are the only ones who "look like Red" to me, mostly Ethan though, since Ethan wears red and Hilbert doesn't. Brendan looks nothing like him, unless Red once wore a really goofy knit hat. And Kyouhei's design is very original and cool, it does take a while to get used to, I admit, but it's really cool.

I think we oughta continue our debate through private messages though, I think we're derailing the thread. 8U;

Right. Because the next female protagonist should be dressed like a nun. That should solve everything.

According to rumor, Mei is named 'Rosa', and Banjirou 'Benga'. Should be taken with a grain of salt though.

Are people really saying a girl wearing shorts is being immodest? Really? I'll give you Dawn and the FR/LG girl with their short skirts, but there's nothing wrong with depicting a girl in shorts.

According to rumor, Mei is named 'Rosa', and Banjirou 'Benga'. Should be taken with a grain of salt though.

So... Nate, Rosa, and Benga. Hmm, I like them.

...but guys, please, can we just put the "female protag design" debate to rest?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom