• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Discussion Thread

So, who's up for theories on how three of the Village Bride musicians are actually the Shadow Triad?

Surely there's a reason for them being referred to as "Dark Musicians" by an NPC.

Marlon's dialogue is slightly painful to read. It's like the translators just dropped in slang words at random.

I loved his dialogue, it was quite funny! Probably because I have a classmate who talks *exactly* like that, but it seemed natural to me.

Except the scientist who actually created Genesect from BW1 is still present in BW2 to give you the drives.

Honestly I don't get why they didn't change that. Colress is literally a few dozen feet away from the event, and would be a far better character for it than some random NPC. It's not like the scientist from BW1 precludes his involvement either, as Genesect's OT is "Plasma" instead of "Dudley" and the Pokedex entries speak of the group as a whole talking about who modified it.

Similar questions can be asked about many things in BW2 though, really...

That might create a bit of a loophole or some sort of discrepancy with what the project was in the original Black & White. The website tells you that you can do the exact same event for the Drives in both Black & White and Black 2 & White 2 as well (meaning they acknowledge the existence of that event compared to the fact they don't acknowledge Keldeo's Swords of Justice event involving the Moor of Icirrus in Black & White to learn Secret Sword, presumably because they made a much easier way to make it happen in B2W2 with Oath Woods). Plus, Colress is far from your usual scientist...and only joined in more recent times, not existing to Team Plasma's intentions back in the time that Genesect would theoretically have been worked on by Scientist Dudley.

The scientists who worked on Genesect set out to create the most powerful Pokémon ever (which is hardly true right now in terms of BST, meaning Genesect's full potential has not been brought out yet and is an "unfinished experiment") while Colress sets out to research Pokémon strength in general and how to unlock it.

Before you battle Norman he mentions that he moved from Olivine City to Petalburg City to become strong.

So we now have official confirmation of the RSE player characters original home town.
This also might mean more then half of the player characters have had an interaction with Jasmine at one point.

Last edited:
Ooh wow, that's a very nice thing to know! oAo Olivine City, though, oops. I always imagined it was New Bark Town.

That's pretty cool! I always pictured Goldenrod myself, with the Gym still being Normal before Whitney came along.

During Norman's residence in Olivine City at that point in time Jasmine would have been a Rock-type gym leader. Unless her specialty was retconed like some other details about Steel-types.

May I ask the thread: Did anyone notice just how much Vio (dear old Zinzolin) hates the cold. Makes you wonder why he signed up to join New Team Plasma in the conquest of the Unova Region using Kyurem...

May I ask the thread: Did anyone notice just how much Vio (dear old Zinzolin) hates the cold. Makes you wonder why he signed up to join New Team Plasma in the conquest of the Unova Region using Kyurem...

He strikes me as a masochistic thrill seeker.

Speaking of Zinzolin, did anyone else find it odd that after completing the Abyssal Ruins side quest he referred to the player as an enemy in the present tense...?

During Norman's residence in Olivine City at that point in time Jasmine would have been a Rock-type gym leader. Unless her specialty was retconed like some other details about Steel-types.
It wasn't retconned, even though you're right that Game Freak removed the references to Steel being a newly discovered type. But we don't know that Jasmine was the gym leader when Norman lived in Olivine, as the quote you're thinking of merely says that "Jasmine used to use Rock Pokémon like Onix." Perhaps she only became a gym leader after changing her specialty.

So Hugh is referred to as that "older neighbour boy" so I guess it explains why he had his Pokemon first. The fact that it came out of an egg probably explains why he didn't go out on a journey right away either.

So Christoph and Nancy actually co-exist...so I don't know why they force one gender to interact with the other rather than letting us choose.

Marlon's dialogue is slightly painful to read. It's like the translators just dropped in slang words at random.

TPCi's translation of dialogue in general is painful to read. Feels like it's been dumbed down somehow.

Hyperion09 said:
TPCi's translation of dialogue in general is painful to read. Feels like it's been dumbed down somehow.

Because "Don't be a noob!" or "My Pokemon is fight!" aren't painful to look at at all, no...

The Outrage said:
So Hugh is referred to as that "older neighbour boy" so I guess it explains why he had his Pokemon first. The fact that it came out of an egg probably explains why he didn't go out on a journey right away either.

So Christoph and Nancy actually co-exist...so I don't know why they force one gender to interact with the other rather than letting us choose.

"Older" is what got my attention. D: Has the rival ever been stated to be older than the hero? Granted, it could just be a year older...but he does look much taller and more mature than the player character, like, he has smaller eyes. The VS sprite makes him look almost a whole head taller than Kyouhei.

I know, that makes me upset. :< There's a gay option during a specific season, why couldn't Kyouhei date Curtis, and Mei date Yancy? It's baffling.

I always figured Silver was older.

Anyway, talking to random NPC's, and one of them mentioned that I looked like one of the Pokemon Centre aides, and asked if I was the child of one (playing as Rosa). Later, I get a phone call from the PC's mother, and she confirms that she used to work at the Pokemon Centre.

I wonder why she quit her job?

EDIT: Evidently Curtis thinks Rosa sounded older than she really was based on her voice.

Last edited:
Hyperion09 said:

Because "Don't be a noob!" or "My Pokemon is fight!" aren't painful to look at at all, no...

You know as well as I do that I'm not talking about unfunny forced memes. Or did you forget that Treehouse did G1-G3 as well? Go grab a random selection of NPCs from each generation, read their dialogue, and I guarantee you that those from the previous generations have much smoother speech than those from BW.

Hyperion09 said:

You know as well as I do that I'm not talking about unfunny forced memes. Or did you forget that Treehouse did G1-G3 as well? Go grab a random selection of NPCs from each generation, read their dialogue, and I guarantee you that those from the previous generations have much smoother speech than those from BW.

I do know that. oAo I like the TPCI translations better, even though I also grew up with Treehouse's translations. I only found out like last year that there was different translation team for the games. Even with that knowledge, I rather like TPCI's translations.

I always figured Silver was older.

Anyway, talking to random NPC's, and one of them mentioned that I looked like one of the Pokemon Centre aides, and asked if I was the child of one (playing as Rosa). Later, I get a phone call from the PC's mother, and she confirms that she used to work at the Pokemon Centre.

I wonder why she quit her job?

EDIT: Evidently Curtis thinks Rosa sounded older than she really was based on her voice.

Well in HGSS Silver looks older. D: He always looked the same age as the player in GSC to me.

And since we know that Nate/Rosa's mother was a Pokemon Center nurse, I guess we can confirm that they're all required to wear pink wigs or dye their hair pink.

I have yet to talk to Yancy in my game, I wonder if she'll make the same note about Nate? D:

So, who's up for theories on how three of the Village Bride musicians are actually the Shadow Triad?

Surely there's a reason for them being referred to as "Dark Musicians" by an NPC.
Perhaps because the lyrics are a bit moody and the songs not exactly upbeat. That or the Lady Under the Bridge is a Zoroark protecting Ghetsis.

Before you battle Norman he mentions that he moved from Olivine City to Petalburg City to become strong.

So we now have official confirmation of the RSE player characters original home town.
This also might mean more then half of the player characters have had an interaction with Jasmine at one point.
Huh that's kinda neat, I wonder if confirming things like that is random, or if they're preparing us for something......................

Best part is the use of Ice Pokemon alone, like he has some kinda of fear to overcome. Perhaps he was with Ghetsis when he needed a cane, or perhaps even earlier when he damaged his eye...............

He strikes me as a masochistic thrill seeker.

Speaking of Zinzolin, did anyone else find it odd that after completing the Abyssal Ruins side quest he referred to the player as an enemy in the present tense...?
Not at all. Something tells me that the story isn't over, and he has something planned. Using you is a rotten trick in the case, and its possibly why he needed you to go down and get the info, to know what the final plan will be.....

Some NPCs have hilarious lines like that nursy aide saying "hear the cry of my heart!SITDOWN and SHUTUP' they are hillarious in this game aren't they :) abit disturbing sometimes but funny.

Amen to that. It also sounds really awkward, with strange sentence structures. You know you suck when a fan translation is superior to the official one.

You know, people complain when a translation is inaccurate yet when it is... well, the phrase "Be careful for what you wish for" comes to mind.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom