• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Discussion Thread

It seems that Iris was drawn in July 2011, the Shadow Triad in January 2012, Roxie in late February and Colress in early March. The 2012 dates are surprisingly late; I guess that concept art isn't really important for the actual development.

Especially in B2W2, where the protagonists looks like they're 10 again, and the wouldn't be much taller than 5'00".
The animated trailer made them look anything but 10, though. You can also tell from the overworld sprites that they're taller than Iris is.

Eitarou said:
Goddammit, Game Freak. Please prove me wrong!
I don't see what the big deal is. The concept art is almost as good as official artwork in most cases.

Last edited:
Slightly more informative in Iris' case....they actually try to show how she styled her hair.

In Black 2 and White 2 Iris mentions Drayden as being her Grandpa which kind of surprised me.(i though he was her father)

I get so mad every time I see Anthea or Concordia. So much wasted potential.
This, so much. Love how they have civilian clothing now, more so that they look like they're going to the market, which is deliberate thanks to them being located in Driftveil. Good to know the guidebooks do indeed have something more, wonder what else is in store...

The animated trailer made them look anything but 10, though. You can also tell from the overworld sprites that they're taller than Iris is.

I discount the trailer, it's just so meh. Plus I was talking about the official art. Maybe Mei/Kyouhei aren't 10, but they're surely younger than H/H, who at least LOOK 15-16ish. Maybe 12-13....

And Iris could just be really short, it can happen. One of my managers where I worked is much older than I am, but she's barely 4'10". One of my friends is my age, but only 4'11". My mother stands 5'00". Short people exist, Iris could be one of them.

LOOK! Concept art! We get actual artwork for characters who'll probably never get anything more than this.

Goddammit, Game Freak. Please prove me wrong!
620188445.jpg

620187949.jpg

Wow, where did you dig these up? oAo Shoot, I think Colress looks simply handsome without his lab jacket.

Someone needs to tell me where such high resolution Iris artwork came from.

The dress looks much better here than in her sprite, which made it seem over-sized.

EDIT: ゲーチス|『ポケットモンスターブラック2・ホワイト2』公式サイト

The website updated. Looks like Ghetsis lost an arm or something.

Just took a look at the new artwork, and damn. Ghetsis looks like a credible villain now:

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/2/27/Black_2_White_2_Ghetsis.png

He no longer looks like a YuGiOh villain who wandered into Pokemon by mistake. Though I wonder if it's intentional that his arm is still never being shown.

He certainly looks scrawnier than I'd assume.

I thought the same, but I suppose I was so used to seeing him in that bulky robe, I just sort of associated him with being large.

EDIT: Though I do like the idea of him being scrawny. Makes him seem like his madness at being defeated since last time has taken a toll on his health or something.

I love the new artwork for Iris. So cute! Though I wonder why Drayden chose this particular dress for her... /guttermind

Ghetsis, on the other hand...yeesh, I thought his new robes would look cooler than his previous ones. But yeeep, those eyes. o_o; Too creepy, eech... And he's supposed to be that scrawny? Shoot, that's not healthy for a man 6'05". And I like that it looks like he lost his arm. I hope Kyurem bit it off.

I just realized Ghetsis has facial paralysis. That grin is totally unnatural.

VSGhetsis.png
VSGhetsis_2.png

I don't think GF will let us with so many unanswered questions forever, but on the other hand, another Gen V game featuring Unova would be too much.

My hopes are put on sixth generation. And the Original Dragon. And the Bug pokémon Genesect is based after.
I like the new versions. They make him look... less like a buildings. How did he even walk in that?

Wow, I love seeing concept art so these make me happy! I just wish you can see them better (I think I can barely see another Shizui art, but it's covered by Elesa's page) and I want to see more...because I'm greedy. :p

But in the HGSS event, Giovanni says he's going to answer the summons of Neo Team Rocket, meaning the time he spent soul-searching and seeing the error of his ways is reversed. He could have been a decent guy, but instead he wanted to do evil again. Or something like that.

Actually, I would say that Giovanni's actions in HGSS were more or less consistent with the way he was portrayed in R/B/Y right up to that ONE LINE about disbanding Team Rocket. The sudden change from villain to reformed man seemed far more jarring to me in terms of character development - at least in HGSS, he had three years in a cave to mull over the decision to return to Team Rocket. In R/B/Y (and FR/LG, although they manage to tone it down a bit) he just drops villainy in two seconds flat.

Reviewing the Situation Oliver - YouTube

Last edited:
I think "Colress" would've looked better without the white coat, IMO.

Not a bad idea, and I have to agree - that shirt underneath looks awesome. You do have to understand, though; he's a scientist. Colress is pretty much inclined to wear one of them.

But in the HGSS event, Giovanni says he's going to answer the summons of Neo Team Rocket, meaning the time he spent soul-searching and seeing the error of his ways is reversed. He could have been a decent guy, but instead he wanted to do evil again. Or something like that.

He never said he was going to reform. He said he was going to train as he couldn't face his minions (whom he believed would never listen to a their leader that just got beaten by a kid) like this after the Gym Match.

When was it insinuated that he was trying to see the error of his ways? I don't believe I remember that.

I don't understand why they placed it like that, with sheets overlapping blocking some images.

I guess Kyouhei's hat is pushing up his hair. He really does look much better without it. No concept art for Ruri and Tetsu, or the PC's in their Pokewood outfits @sunyshore?

Kyouhei's hair looks the same to me, hat or no hat. I just noticed that Shizui is holding his net in the opposite hand, lol. I like Mei and Homika's full body art there than what became official, the latter looking a bit more bratty.

Didn't the official Game freak site used to put up some concept art up years ago? I miss that. Stop teasing us, GF. :C

That damn sun visor is indeed a hindrace on his looks. Said it from the beginnning, one of the best desgined males, if not the best. And don't tell me that's all the character guide had....

Ghetsis has become crazier over the last two year making a legendary freeze the Unova. He knew that if Kyurem was in trouble N would find out as revealed N say his Zekrom and Reshiram told him the kyurem was suffering. N didnt really know about the DNA Link Pin until Ghetsis used it to absord his legendary to absorb Kyurem. It is also revealed that Ghetsis has flashbacks when looking at the player quote"Those....those eyes...from two years ago."

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom