• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Discussion Thread

I'm guessing you're referring to Hilbert and Hilda? D: I'm actually very glad we never get to see them. Where they are and what they're doing should be up to the player, not decided for you. -mutters about Red-

I dont really miss Hilbert and Hilda in these games tbh. I can always replay BW if I want to see them again. I feel having them in wouldnt add anything too special. They're probabaly off traveling other regions and such, not much reason to stay in Unova when there is the rest of the world to see IMO. Personally, I'd want to keep moving on, not stay.

Also about the rival:

I think the rival is kinda funny, his one focus seems to be beating up Team Plasma and getting his sister's Purrloin back and that's all he cares about. I feel that he's not really much of a rival. Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:
@Aquanova; Indeed, Hugh's like on the line there, isn't he? I actually rather like that about him. Hugh's not driven to defeat you; he actually wants YOU to help HIM, not the other way around. I like how he looks to the player for their support. His rage seems to be a bit much at times, but it's not a bad thing; I'd be pissed too if someone stole a defenseless kitten that my grandparent got for my little sister. Hugh's definitely my favorite rival now, he's really blown away all my expectations of his character.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've deleted all the petty squabbling and antagonising that went on. @Kelleo; lower the tone and be a little more polite in future please. When you choose to browse the threads in this subforum you choose to risk being spoiled. That's just how it works. So don't be rude to people who are just discussing things. If you don't want to be spoiled then you would do best to avoid this subforum for the time being because it is full of spoilers.

Also @FairyRed; it's not really your place to intervene and call someone out despite whatever good intentions you had in doing so; in future please avoid doing that because it doesn't help.

Anyway, let's move on from this (meaning don't either of you reply to me here--you may PM me if you wish). :)

Hugh is the sibling I will never be :/ Gotta appreciate his devotion. I must say that he isn't much of a battler, though.

Indeed, it's why he's my favorite rival at the moment. Was there a rival before Hugh who focused so much on his family? Props to him for being a wonderful Brother Wolf (the sibling Papa Wolf?), even if he does let his rage get the best of him at times.

As for his battling style, I think it's rather neat that his battle style is weaker than yours, though. He constantly mentions the player to watch his back, so maybe he knows he's not a very strong battler, and it's WHY he's so rage-filled, knowing he was weak back then, and is still weak now, and he has to count on the player to help him become strong too. It's very nice to have a rival who ISN'T obsessed with defeating the player.

Well, we know what Alder's dead partner was now. And I'm happy my theory on it was correct.
PA123079.JPG

They're probabaly off traveling other regions and such, not much reason to stay in Unova when there is the rest of the world to see IMO. Personally, I'd want to keep moving on, not stay.
And yet Game Freak had the real players stay in Unova. Replacing the player characters doesn't change that fact.

Well, we know what Alder's dead partner was now. And I'm happy my theory on it was correct.
View attachment 79510

More context on the quote?

Though it wasn't really that hard to figure out...even though Alder's family make Volcarona look like common Caterpie. I wonder why he calls it Larvesta first before correcting himself. Maybe it died very shortly after evolution.

Must suck for his second Volcarona being a replacement.

There's also a bit of inconsistency with the quotes (translated from Japanese text):
Ghetsis: Oh my, so this is the Champion Alder. You lost a long-time Pokémon partner of yours to illness some years back.

N:You lost a Pokémon to illness years ago, a partner. You wandered Unova searching for something to fill that hole... It's been quite some time since you last earnestly fought, hasn't it? That part of you may despise it, but... As one far, far stronger than the Champion, I shall give Unova an order. An order to all Trainers, to release their Pokémon!

It's weird Alder calls it Larvesta. I'm wondering if it died shortly after he became Champion?

More context on the quote?

After winning the Champions Tournament, the ones you fought are sitting in the PWT lobby, and they give you advice and congratulations and such. Alder just happens to say that the spirit of his first partner lives on in his current partners as well.

You dim-witted...dense...dumb...daft...dippy...dorky...doltish DOOFUS!
Oh, that crazy Roxie.

This game has more entertaining dialogue than it's predecessor, I've found. Granted, you still get the dull blather like "My Patrat went up a level in the tall grass!" or "I love training with my pokemon, it's fun!" but overall I think it's getting better.
Pokewood is great, I like the different accents and attitudes of the directors, and some of the movie dialogue is priceless, especially Sabrina's.
"A-and it's not like I want your money or anything!"
B-baka!

During your rematch with Shauntal she mentions to be writing a story about two Elite 4 members with similar names and appearances but little of anything else is known of them.

Well at least they finally addressed those theories, even though we still have no answers.
Shauntal is a fanfic writer

Shauntal ships all the ships.

Colress' little speech on people not being able to talk to Pokémon was wonderfully ironic. I was all, "OH HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW~".

Speaking of Colress, I thought it was a bit underwhelming how he was revealed to be Plasma-dan's boss. D: I couldn't understand the Japanese version, so I was slightly disappoint when the scene was like "btw im the plasma boss, let's battle". Big-G had more going for him than that, dude.

After going through Ghetsis' and Colress' dialogue, I am thoroughly convinced the latter was responsible for Genesect. Or at least Gamefreak had that concept in mind.

It's just fits too well.

After going through Ghetsis' and Colress' dialogue, I am thoroughly convinced the latter was responsible for Genesect. Or at least Gamefreak had that concept in mind.

It's just fits too well.

Except the scientist who actually created Genesect from BW1 is still present in BW2 to give you the drives.

Marlon's dialogue is slightly painful to read. It's like the translators just dropped in slang words at random.

Except the scientist who actually created Genesect from BW1 is still present in BW2 to give you the drives.

Honestly I don't get why they didn't change that. Colress is literally a few dozen feet away from the event, and would be a far better character for it than some random NPC. It's not like the scientist from BW1 precludes his involvement either, as Genesect's OT is "Plasma" instead of "Dudley" and the Pokedex entries speak of the group as a whole talking about who modified it.

Similar questions can be asked about many things in BW2 though, really...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom