• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Redesigns: Yay or Nay?

Do you prefer the new redesigns?

• I love them!

Votes: 61 29.3%
  • I like the old ones better.

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • I like some of them, but like some of the old ones as well.

Votes: 89 42.8%
  • I'm really indifferent to this all.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • They just should have updated the old art rather than do redesigns.

Votes: 24 11.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
So CoroCoro has just released a huge batch of information, with many character re-designs included. As of now, we have what appears to be Brendan and May as well as both villainous teams. What do you all think of their new designs? Do you prefer the old art/direction better? This thread will also apply to the later released Gym Leaders, Elite Four Members and so on.

THEY TURNED MAY'S BANDANA INTO AN EFFING BOW. WHAT THE BLOODY BLAZES?! Not to mention the fact that they seem to have changed both hers and Brendan's eye colors to grey. What the heck was wrong with their old outfits?

They all look terrible except Steven.

I can't say I like or dislike them, as I was never overly fond of the originals.

That said, if character customization is a returning feature here, it won't make much difference.

That said, I am LIVING for the Aqua/Magma redesigns. Talk about awesome. Steven's was pretty suave, too, with that suit and those metal cuffs.

Looking forward to seeing Winona & Wallace's redesigns most of all, as I loved their original looks.

Brendan's outfit is as dumb as ever (I never was a fan of his design), but at least it's easier to tell the hat isn't his hair now.

May looks alright, but I miss the bandana, I always thought of it as her signature. Hopefully you can get one in-game.

Steven is one elegant bast.

Steven - Yes.
Magma Grunts- YES.
Aqua Grunts- YES.
Archie- So-so.
Matt- YES.
Shelly- So-so.
Maxie- Get rid of the glasses, and maybe we'll talk.
Tabitha- NO.
Courtney- YES.
May- NO.
Brendan- NO.

Last edited:
For the most part they're good. A few of them though like Tabitha and Shelly look beyond terrible. Tabitha's now a short fat guy and Shelly doesn't look anything like Shelly. May also unfortunately does not look great. There was no reason to completely change the way she looked. I'd be fine if her bandana was kept though. Brendan on the other hand looks great.

Well, you'll presumably have options for both eye-color and clothing in-game just like you did in X and Y. The bow does look a bit weird, but at least in my opinion it does look better in the screenshot than it does in the character art.

I'm generally postive-to-ambivalent about the redesigns, with the possible exception of Archie (all of the designs are less understated than before, which I generally like, but Archie's over-the-top outfit maybe goes too far). Love Maxie's glasses, though—they make him look much more distinctive.

Like: Shelly, Matt in a "lolwut" way.
Meh: Team Magma, Team Aqua grunts, May
Hate: Archie

Worst artwork: Brendan (I am an empty shell of a person hiding back my inhuman nature by pretending to give an authentic smile, IS. IT. WORKING.)
Something is just off: Steven - is it that his art is as tiny as a tooth pick? I have no idea.

They all look terrible except Steven.

And that's because they left him pretty much the same.

Team Aqua's are OK, but too flashy spacey. Old TA outfits were simple and with a pirate vibe, fitting very well their theme.

Team Magma women are good, and Courtney now is hot as hell (the only one who improved IMHO), but men's outfits are completely screwed up.

As for player characters, Brendan is OK, but I didn't like much May's outfit.

I personally love them. The designs of Brendan, May and Team Aqua obviously reflect that Hoenn is warm, tropical place. It made no sense to me that Brendan would be running around in trousers under his shorts in what we can say is the hottest region yet, he'd probably be very uncomfortable. May dresses like what a lot of women do when they go to hot places, and the bow just gives her that little detail.

Steven just looks dapper and somewhat regal, if I dare say. If he remains Champion, it is surely a fitting design. He looks like he means business.

Team Magma... Meh. I love how Tabitha and Courtney look, as they seem to have more personality, but the grunts and Maxie just look plain and boring. Team Aqua's grunts look very interesting, but the admins can't keep their clothes on XD

Eh... EH.. Archie... Eh... I really never liked his design, and now he looks like a pimp. that's why his admins don't wear clothes

Im happy. Not as stupid as hgss, and the mix of rs with e stuff is good. The red clothes were better, and puting the green bags is a nice touch. Hairband could just be a rolled up bandanna, and hell, its better that the back of the head shows hair along with the bangs.

As for the evil teams, HELL YES! Swim suits make sense, and distinguirhing the admins works. Love the portlmy tabitha, and all the little contrasts between the teams.

I haven't seen any others besides Brendan and May. I like Brendan's but not May's.

If Steven didn't have those ugly skintight pants he would look better. It may seem like a small detail but I can't get over how incredibly dumb it looks.

Brendan and May.. honestly, I find them very unrecognizable. Also, gray eyes for both, really? How emptier can you get (no offense to gray eyes in general, but it looks very uninspiring here).

Aqua Courtney and Steven are great otherwise the new designs are awful. Freaking turning the coolest enforcer Tabitha into a fat dweeb sorry but that completely recontextulizes the character for me in a negative. The duller red with the vertical stripes doesn't work well which is why the female grunt is better cause she has less of that.

Not liking the shape of Brenden'as face it's the xy derp trio in PC form. And the outfits way too dull and simple. I thought they get more complex. The viral fan art was way better all the frills and colors. Also cause it's anime style appearance = traits they look weak as hell with out any longer sleeves or scarves or even a poofyer hat.

BpjIr07IAAAcZqg.jpg:large

No knees, but bloody huge calves. Or maybe, her knees have dislodged?!

My thoughts on the new character designs are kinda... mixed. Granted these are remakes of older games like HG/SS were, but these ones I find to be a bit odd, especially since I grew up with the original games.

Brendan and May are still the main characters, which brings back a lot of memories. The new designs are a bit of a fusion between the R/S designs and the Emerald designs, interestingly with the same poses as the original R/S artwork. I do notice that Brendan has a somewhat darker skin tone than he did before, though Hoenn does have a warmer, tropical climate than Kalos, so it's understandable if they are trying to make the locations more realistic.

No offense to anyone who likes them, but the only ones I am not too fond of are the Team Magma redesigns, such as Tabitha, one of the admins, being turned into a short, fat guy when he was a more slim person in the anime and the original games, although doing some research he was a bulky man in the Manga, though here he looks like a portly comic-relief minion you would see in a cartoon, while Team Magma's leader Maxie looks like a hipster version of Lysandre (well, they both lead terrorist organizations with a fire theme), maybe he's trying to tell Team Flare that "I was the fire-head before it was cool". Team Aqua, on the other hand, looks awesome and threatening, looking like an actual band of pirates, with Archie looking like a menacing pirate captain and his grunts and admins looking like scourges on the seven seas. Like Brendan they seem to have a darker skin tone.

Finally, we have Steven, the champion of Hoenn, who looks not much different other than his outfit, which seems a lot more formal and regal. He seems to be researching on Mega Evolutions, which he will likely have a Mega Aggron when we battle him, and it's kind of understandable since Steven collects rare rocks and minerals, and Mega Stones are no exception.

Brandon's look just doesn't sit well with me. His Jacket (I assume that's what that is) looks more like a skin tight t-shirt. May's design doesn't seem to affect me that much. Hopefully Hidenori-sensei can make the clothes look a bit cooler when he get to the Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire story arc.

The Magma and Aqua admins looks kind of weird to me. The Aqua guy looks more bulky than he should.

I'm indifferent right now. Brendan and May didn't get changed to drastically so they look okay, although something is off about Brendan. They look better in-game though, and I like how their outfits show that Hoenn is a warmer region.

Steven didn't get too drastic of a change, so I like how he looks still.

Aqua and Magma...I don't even know. Once again, I hope bigger art or in game screenshots will change my mind, but they were near unidentifiable to me. I do like the grunts, but I really don't like how the admins turned out, especially overly-beefy Matt and fat Tabitha. I though Archie and Maxie were new people until I saw their names :/

Back
Top Bottom