• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Redesigns: Yay or Nay?

Do you prefer the new redesigns?

• I love them!

Votes: 61 29.3%
  • I like the old ones better.

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • I like some of them, but like some of the old ones as well.

Votes: 89 42.8%
  • I'm really indifferent to this all.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • They just should have updated the old art rather than do redesigns.

Votes: 24 11.5%

• Total voters
Like many others have said, I like the Aqua and Magma redesigns, actually--and that's coming from someone who generally dislikes modern aesthetic adjustments to things I grew up with.
Team Aqua looks a lot more nautical, instead of like simple pirate thugs. Shelly looks nothing like her old self (dat hair), but the change is a surprising improvement. She's gotten more... hawt. :| It seems like it will suit her personality better as well. Did I mention that I enjoy her hair? :]
As for Team Magma--I'm not really a fan of the Tabitha redesign because it seems kind of unnecessary and doesn't really make sense. I like Courtney's a lot, though. Her new look is adorable and feisty. :3
And Steven? Steven is a sexy mofo who ages like wine and knows how to dress. :p
No words on the main protagonists. I don't like Brendan's spandex and why tf did scrap May's bandanna?

To be fair, it isn't like Tabitha's old design really stood out.

Spr_RS_Team_Magma_Grunt_M.png
Spr_RS_Tabitha.png

The cape and the stripes on his pants are the only things distinguishing him from the grunts, really. :p

I was sorta eh about his redesign until I read his new bio--he didn't exactly have a super-unique personality before either--and now he's actually intimidating. ._.

So, uh, how is this redesign any less necessary than the ones you just said you liked?

I suppose because they changed his body type so much. Why did they make him so big? :p I don't hate it or anything, I just don't really understand what the point of it was. To make him more of a...physical threat, perhaps...?

Also, I agree that Wally's redesign is great. It's like Steven's in the sense that it's subtle enough to hold true to the original design while only adding a few minor, positive changes (he HAS gotten quite adorable...).

Last edited:
Honesty, I really don't care about their redesigns as I'm just satisfied they kept both May and Brendan in OR/AS.

Since I had never played Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald versions ill have to say to say just like what I selected in the poll im rather indifferent about it even if I played the games on the Game Boy Advance I would choose the same answer since the character's clothing design are not important to the game which is to me the most important thing. Why is it a big deal if a character from the GBA Hoenn games wears different clothes? It shouldn't since it's a remake meaning it is the same events from Ruby/Sapphire & Emerald but with some things changed. It's a remake isn't it? Even if it is not a remake it should not matter because it would not change the most important being that we (players) should see if the video game is a good product and the plot never matters in a Pokémon game.

Boshi234 said:
the plot never matters in a Pokémon game.
This is my opinion on the matter and im not trying to say that everyone should have my point of view, I still like Pokémon though.

Last edited:
I'm loving all the redesigns. Winona & Wallace look amazing. Wallace is ridiculous, agreed, but he rocks it. It's totally him.

I love the new designs! Drake and Glacia look the same, the Twins look so cute in their dark blue outfit. I like the wings on Winona's back and Wallace looks super sexy+the mini cape on his back is so cute :D

That's some crazy ass design work for Wallace. Its like something that came out of Hyper Planetaria Nomura Style EX GOTY Edition. I dunno if I love it, or hate it, or in general want to question it cause it questions me. Also those are some cool designs for what I'm assuming the ace trainers, and those Plusle/Minun bikers are cool.

DAMN! They all look great. Wallace, tho? Why is that design so perfect? Winona looks great, too. Guess they were trying to out-do Sklya (even though I've always though Winona looked better than Skyla). Tate and Liza looks adorable, and Glacia and Drake are the most unchanged, but I suppose that's fine. They still look to have more personality and character. And I love what they did with all the trainer classes.

Only sad that there's no Juan. :(

I'm loving all the redesigns. Winona & Wallace look amazing. Wallace is ridiculous, agreed, but he rocks it. It's totally him.

He totally rocks it but he looks like a go-go boy right now. Where is my Juan True Love?

I suppose because they changed his body type so much. Why did they make him so big? :p I don't hate it or anything, I just don't really understand what the point of it was. To make him more of a...physical threat, perhaps...?

I'm assuming to make him contrast more with Matt, whose all big 'n beefy

Really like the redesigns

Wallace is quite over the top, and I love it, suits him!

Aide from that, no real comments, though did I just miss it, or is there no art of a female psychic?

Aide from that, no real comments, though did I just miss it, or is there no art of a female psychic?

Guess they're making the Hex Maniac their female counterpart. :(

Fucking love Wallace and Winona tho

Okay, Wallace and Lisia have to be related. They share the same hair and eye color, hair type, and facial features.

Guess they're making the Hex Maniac their female counterpart. :(

Fucking love Wallace and Winona tho

Or the Fairytale Girl

All Triathletes seem to be male as well...

Couple is a 'new' Trainer Class as well, I think (as I checked, and they weren't featured in RSE) I quite like them, they look incredibly couple-y? (especially the Luvdisc bracelets)

Where is Juan? Does he not exist anymore? Also why does Wallace get two battles?

Dieter said:
Couple is a 'new' Trainer Class as well, I think (as I checked, and they weren't featured in RSE) I quite like them, they look incredibly couple-y? (especially the Luvdisc bracelets)
Nah, they were in RSE. They're fuckin' adorbs now, though. XD

Dieter said:
Nah, they were in RSE. They're fuckin' adorbs now, though. XD

Oops, yea you're right XD I forgot they're actually called Young Couple, so I guess that's why I didn't see them in the list...

And they absolutely are. Which is a bit odd, considering they kinda seem like those couples that are so lovey-dovey they make you wanna throw up

Noooooo.... the retconned Emerald out of canon it seems.

How exactly?

Cause we already know Rayquaza has a Mega, has calmed the other two in the past, and with that info we can assume Emerald's elements are some way either returning in the main game or the post-game

The only thing we don't have is character art for Juan, so this means we probably can't battle him. Doesn't mean he's not in the game (though I dunno why they would put him in either)

But that's only one character...

Anyone else feel like the Poké Maniac is caught mid-sneeze, btw?

Back
Top Bottom