• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Redesigns: Yay or Nay?

Do you prefer the new redesigns?

• I love them!

Votes: 61 29.3%
  • I like the old ones better.

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • I like some of them, but like some of the old ones as well.

Votes: 89 42.8%
  • I'm really indifferent to this all.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • They just should have updated the old art rather than do redesigns.

Votes: 24 11.5%

• Total voters
Here's some of my favourites from the trainer art rips:

Smug bastard
UcrRf6B.png

qt battle girl
Xzt1sM0.png

crazed-obsessive bug collector
6Rdh6Dk.png

ninja boy!
HMjF35M.png

guitarist! loved the girl guitarist in b2w2, so glad to see another
MhEUxw7.png

qt parasol lady
AeG2LzI.png

his expression is just "i see you looking and i know you're liking"
efnW23O.png

gabby and ty!
ykprLF3.png

another qt
q3PTdUT.png

cool af diver
y5ed4g0.png

the ace trainers look awful imo

Maybe this is just me being stupid, but which Trainer Class have the Plusle and Minun jackets? Are they new, or just a serious redesign of a class I don't remember.

I want the Minun jacket.

Maybe this is just me being stupid, but which Trainer Class have the Plusle and Minun jackets? Are they new, or just a serious redesign of a class I don't remember.

I want the Minun jacket.
IDK seems to be like the punk or biker trainer class. Sort of something to fill that street gang roll.

Well I have finally come to the conclusion I hate Brendan and May's redesigns and not being able to customize them... GAH!

The old designs only needed a few tweaks! May's bandanna was fine and so was Brendan's hat.

As much as I love Wallace's new design I do really miss his Emerald design. The cape was awesome. It's sad that Game Freak is taking almost zero influence from Emerald.

Wow! Some awesome redesigns here. Winnona looks especially wonderful (she's always been a favorite), while Tate and Liza look quite cute in those matching dark blue outfits. And wowza, divers!? That'll definitely make using Dive more interesting. And I rather like the new Ace Trainers, as they look like actual people that you'd find in warm-climate areas. Gabby and Ty look really good, too, seeming more true to form if you ask me. Though I am surprised that the female Psychics seemed to have gone extinct (though, as others have said, maybe the Hex Maniac is their replacement, even though both existed in the original RSE). So, overall, I like the new designs.

Wow some of them got a huge makeover and then there's Drake. The Diving Trainers look awesome.

Well, now we know who the Sootopolis GL is. And his new look fills my heart with rainbows (get it? ;-) )

Don't feel bad, Juan fans. I'm sure they'll find something for him to do.

Likin' the new kung-fu look , Kids.
"We won't be defeated by thunder armor bullshit this time!"
That's the spirit! :)

Though why give cool new looks for random trainers :confused:

An additional comment about Wallace's outfit (which I still think is absolutely awesome and fits him very well)
Thanks to Tumblr, I realised Wallace is not wearing underwear....

Yeah...

(for those who don't see it, look at his hip)

(GF might have wanted to think this one through a bit more)

I'm going to guess that the new Diver class is going to introduce some sort of new battle style similar to Sky Battles. These guys and the Sky Trainers seem pretty similar, since they both specialize in Pokemon battles in environments that Pokemon battles normally aren't held in. Also, new Bug Maniac = me IRL.

I really like the redesigns! They look nice and fresh. As someone who only got into Pokemon with the end of Generation IV, I don't really like the old looking designs. They don't hold nostalgia for me.

I'd say nay, if only because they felt more mature before.
@Dregran: I feel like that for Gen II and before, since that artwork is distinctly different in how it's coloured and drawn. Gen III and IV used a different style which I think is better to the modern style.

I think the redesigns would have been more salvageable if you could change it slightly but...

I saw the new designs for the remaining gym leaders and elite four and I must say: Winona and Glacia look absolutely gorgeous! Overall though, it's a mixed bag.

Last edited:
An additional comment about Wallace's outfit (which I still think is absolutely awesome and fits him very well)

Yeah...

I'm guessing Wallace is partially based on male models in real life. Sometimes, models don't wear underwear when modeling for clothes because the clothes have to fit on their body.

Also, characters like Crasher Wake and Marlon are shirtless - I didn't hear any complaints regarding them showing skin more than anybody.

Yeah...

I'm guessing Wallace is partially based on male models in real life. Sometimes, models don't wear underwear when modeling for clothes because the clothes have to fit on their body.

Also, characters like Crasher Wake and Marlon are shirtless - I didn't hear any complaints regarding them showing skin more than anybody.

Because both are a professional (WWE like) wrestler and swimmer respectively (who in real life are shirtless).

It's just Wallace's clothing. Revealing clothing like that is something that isn't seen often on the male sex, versus lets say outright shirtless appearances. I think it caught some people off guard, but it's like you said with the models.

Back
Top Bottom