• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Redesigns: Yay or Nay?

Do you prefer the new redesigns?

• I love them!

Votes: 61 29.3%
  • I like the old ones better.

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • I like some of them, but like some of the old ones as well.

Votes: 89 42.8%
  • I'm really indifferent to this all.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • They just should have updated the old art rather than do redesigns.

Votes: 24 11.5%

• Total voters
I initially read this as "Tropical with lots of haters," based on some opposition of the new art. I laughed for several minutes before closer inspection.

Just thought I would share.
Tropical with lots of haters accurately described Gen III back then too.

Sign me up for that! By the time I got to the 8th water route I was ready to sign up and join Team Magma!!!

Must not have taken the shortcut between 103 and 110(?).

Hell with the redesigns I wouldn't mind joining Aqua especially if I was redesigned to look like that (#FatPeopleJoke)

I still don't get the whole outrage with the MC designs. I posted bits of my opinion, and now that I've had time to look at them and think about the changes made, I still love em.
-Gloveless sucks, but I'll manage. Maybe getting the bikes gives you the option to buy gloves at a boutique?
-Bags are a mix of the RS/E designs, and I love it.Or at least may's, the yellow meshes well with the green.
-Brendan has the same face as the RS design, just with a little lockjaw. Creepy? Nah, you get used to it.
-Proper shorts being back for a main character is a major plus(Nates wet-suit ruined it a bit, but still). I never liked it when pants were used, it just doesn't work for me(except with Lucas, because I'm a sucker for Winter clothing as well. I guess I just can't go for spring/fall attire. Like short sleeve shirt/jeans). Much better then emeralds pshorts(?), but taking the gray accents is nice.
The shirt having a sleeker look is a plus, but maybe it could have been open collared? Nothing major tbh.
-Not much to say about may, just that they made her a bit more feminine. The frills are fine, lots of shirts do that, and she's dressed like anyone would dress. And like I said, the headband could be a rolled up bandanna.

As for Steven, its a conservative change, but it works. I can't way to see the rest of the league members.

I just wanna say, I like all the new art. I understand some people's issues with some of them, but I think it's all great. ESPECIALLY the PCs. They definitely look identifiable as the same, but updated. I like how Brendan's bag and May's fanny-pack are still there, but better looking (and what's that poké ball symbol I see? Just a clip? Or possibly a newly designed device we all want to return...?). I like that you can see hair from the back of May's head and from under Brendan's hat. If there's one thing I'm not too find of, it's that they gave May those tiny little jean-shorts. I kinda preferred her skirt+bicycle shorts, but it's not a change I can't get over.

And Steven Stone? Most badass guy I've ever seen. That is all.

I don't really see the problems people have with the art itself. I mean, I can see the tiny problems being pointed out, such as knees and noses, but I don't think it detracts from the art. Granted, I've never understood what Sugimori has against drawing noses, but that's his style. Nothing's changed. Nobody's EVER had a full nose. Except maybe those select few with really big noses (none come to mind right now, so I may be wrong). I think that might just stem from the fact that, when it comes down to it, they are Japanese, and naturally have small noses.

Oh, and did I mention how awesome Steven looks?

As for Brendan and May, guess I'm ok aslong as we still have Character Customisations so we are not stuck with their looks.
Not sure what else to say, Besides the fact that Maxie now looks allot like Doctor Strangelove

I guess its confirmed leaders are getting redesigns?

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 10.14.35 AM.png

Roxanne's design has changed very little from her R/S days, which I like.

With all of these massive redesigns (i.e. Team Aqua, Brendan, and May), I hope all of the Gym Leaders have few alterations for ORAS.

Roxanne's design has changed very little from her R/S days, which I like.

With all of these massive redesigns (i.e. Team Aqua, Brendan, and May), I hope all of the Gym Leaders have few alterations for ORAS.

I swear, if they mess up Winona...

Nah, but in general, I'm liking the redesigns, even if some take a few liberties and whatnot.

Roxanne's design looks great, I like how it has more of a school uniform feel to it compared to her RSE design!

I'm delighted that May kept her old look. I'm not averse to change, but I never did warm up to Lyra as a replacement for Crys and I was worried there would be another total redesign like that for May. Actually, the protagonists, Steven, and Roxanne all look really similar to their original designs. It offsets how drastically different the Magma and Aqua admins are.

Roxanne's design is great. Her and Winona have always been my favorite Gym Leaders so I'm glad to see that at least one of them still looks pretty much the same. Hope Winona looks all right.

I can understand that they needed new looks for a new generation (both ways), but this is gonna take some getting used to...

Two stand outs for me:

DAT BLACK ARCHIE! :crush: (Isabel and Matt are pretty hot too!)

Though what did they do to Harlan?! (yes, I like that name better). He used to be so hot...now he's a fat dork! :bawl:
I'm not sure if I can live in a world where Matt's hotter than him...

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has noticed this yet but it seems grasping for reality:

Got it from kynimdraws.tumblr.com She does some awesome stuff so check it out.

But Maxie and Archie having Mega Stones? I'd believe it.

I'd like to see Flannery redesigned with a tank top and short shorts. Here's hoping.

I don't know if anyone has noticed this yet but it seems grasping for reality:

Got it from kynimdraws.tumblr.com She does some awesome stuff so check it out.

But Maxie and Archie having Mega Stones? I'd believe it.

Oooh good eye. Would have never noticed that. Now the question is which of their monsters will go Mega.

I hate how they changed May's awesome and perfectly fine bandanna into a bleeping bow! I loved May a lot just because she wore bandannas like me. Whatever... I do like Maxie's redesign, of only because he looks like a very nerdy version of my dad xD. But I'm still waiting for Wally's redesign…

I hate how they changed May's awesome and perfectly fine bandanna into a bleeping bow! I loved May a lot just because she wore bandannas like me. Whatever... I do like Maxie's redesign, of only because he looks like a very nerdy version of my dad xD. But I'm still waiting for Wally's redesign…

Honestly, May and Maxie's redesigns are my favorites so far. XD

Now that I look again. The bow isn't all that bad for me, it is just something new that I needed to get used to, but the bow is fine. XD

Back
Top Bottom