• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Redesigns: Yay or Nay?

Do you prefer the new redesigns?

• I love them!

Votes: 61 29.3%
  • I like the old ones better.

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • I like some of them, but like some of the old ones as well.

Votes: 89 42.8%
  • I'm really indifferent to this all.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • They just should have updated the old art rather than do redesigns.

Votes: 24 11.5%

• Total voters
Tired of being the least popular/least remembered/least talked of Rival, Wally sets out to gain notice by getting a Mega-evo...and becoming King of the Disco!

Last edited:
corocoro101410th.jpg

anyone notice we have two wally designs? Maybe the other one is from the early game

No, it's the same Wally. One of the artwork just has a closed jacket the other has an open jacket.
You fight Wally two times in the game, but meet him about 3-4 times. I assume the one on the left is Wally when you first meet him and/or the first time you battle him. At first wally is shy and things when you meet him in RSE. The second picture is probably when you battle him in victory road showing him how much he has improved and out grown his shy behavior and was able to obtain a Mega Stone.

I really and getting sick of ORAS shoving Mega's in our faces. Brendan, May, Archie, Maxie, that contest girl, Wally, Steven, it's getting annoying and Hoenn has the most Mega's in the national dex (not announced/released), when I would have assumed Kanto would.

Well hoenn is the main focus of these games if it was kanto remakes we'd have seen almost all kanto pokemon with a mega by now

corocoro101410th.jpg

anyone notice we have two wally designs? Maybe the other one is from the early game

No, it's the same Wally. One of the artwork just has a closed jacket the other has an open jacket.
You fight Wally two times in the game, but meet him about 3-4 times. I assume the one on the left is Wally when you first meet him and/or the first time you battle him. At first wally is shy and things when you meet him in RSE. The second picture is probably when you battle him in victory road showing him how much he has improved and out grown his shy behavior and was able to obtain a Mega Stone.

I really and getting sick of ORAS shoving Mega's in our faces. Brendan, May, Archie, Maxie, that contest girl, Wally, Steven, it's getting annoying and Hoenn has the most Mega's in the national dex (not announced/released), when I would have assumed Kanto would.

Well hoenn is the main focus of these games if it was kanto remakes we'd have seen almost all kanto pokemon with a mega by now

That's not what I am saying, Hoenn had so many to begin with, second after Kanto. What I am saying is that in general it's Hoenn having too many even though it was fine to begin with. It's like they are trying to make every hoenn pokemon have a mega or a pokemon evolution connected to a hoenn pokemon with it.
it annoys me the factt that so many characters shove it down our throats in the game. see what I am saying?

I'm glad the official ORAS site is mentioning Maxie and Archie's divergent goals in creating an ideal world for humans and Pokemon (respectively)--a line goal that was referenced to in only one line in the original RS, which made people think their goals were only to expand the land and sea. Expanding the landmass and ocean was only their modus operandi to achieve their ultimate goal of creating an environment that they believed would drive human/Pokemon development, respectively.

EDIT:

I like how character development = unbuttoning jacket

Wally still doesn't seem to have a Mega Stone at Victory Road in the above screenshot. I guess Mega Gallade is post-game?

I missed how the games used to slightly alter character art to show development (see Blue from the new cocky trainer, mildly successful douche, and the slightly more mature Champion, as well as Silver pre-and-post learning to love)

Last edited:
So apparently Tabitha isn't as jolly as he lets on. He's actually pretty frightening.

EDIT: And yes, he does look like a Makuhita aha.

Last edited:
Wally still doesn't seem to have a Mega Stone at Victory Road in the above screenshot. I guess Mega Gallade is post-game?

It's possible, considering it happened in X/Y with Mega Absol. Which unfortunately means I won't be able to use Mega Gallade during the game proper, bugger.

So apparently Tabitha isn't as jolly as he lets on. He's actually pretty frightening.

Remember when everyone thought he'd be some incompetent oaf because he's overweight and goofy-looking? If this was an Emerald remake instead of ORAS, I'd imagine seeing Tabitha post-game in a similar fashion to Charon, however since it's not, I don't see OR diverging too far from AS in that respect.

Unless of course, we see Matt trying to get some Aqua grunts to get revenge. From what we can tell, Tabitha is obsessed with power and not necessarily Maxie's goal. Matt is extremely loyal to Archie specifically, and not really his ideology so I could see some post-game content with them.

Either that or his Key Stone is covered up by the text box. I think I see a bit of green on his shirt that could be the string or whatever it's attached to.

I'm glad the official ORAS site is mentioning Maxie and Archie's divergent goals in creating an ideal world for humans and Pokemon (respectively)--a line goal that was referenced to in only one line in the original RS, which made people think their goals were only to expand the land and sea. Expanding the landmass and ocean was only their modus operandi to achieve their ultimate goal of creating an environment that they believed would drive human/Pokemon development, respectively.

EDIT:

I like how character development = unbuttoning jacket

I missed how the games used to slightly alter character art to show development (see Blue from the new cocky trainer, mildly successful douche, and the slightly more mature Champion, as well as Silver pre-and-post learning to love)

His jacket isn't unzipped in this shot though, thats a text box and a line leading to his mouth

His jacket isn't unzipped in this shot though, thats a text box and a line leading to his mouth

If he does have Mega Evolution here, and has a 3D model, can you imagine him ripping open his jacket to reveal his Mega Stone? That would actually have been a nice surprise if they hadn't spoiled that he can Mega Evolve already.

If he does have Mega Evolution here, and has a 3D model, can you imagine him ripping open his jacket to reveal his Mega Stone? That would actually have been a nice surprise if they hadn't spoiled that he can Mega Evolve already.
sept_p21_01_gla.jpg
Isn't that what this screenshot implies?

sept_p21_01_gla.jpg
Isn't that what this screenshot implies?
Thats from the final battle with him that screen shot with the word bubble isn't notice the top of his jacket is still buttoned

WALLY IS SO ADORABLE I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO SAY!

Now that I'm done fangasming, I have to wonder if Wally's changed a bit in character. They describe him more as being meek and timid over being sickly. I hope this doesn't mean they scrapped that about his character. We have tons of shy/weak characters. Wally's sickness is what made him unique and it's what he's most known for so I hope he retains that about himself.

Courtney and Tabitha freak me the f*ck out. Courtney seems like Yuki Nagato and Tabitha just seems insane. Matt and Shelly seem to have added personalities and quirks, as well. I really like that. They were so forgettable originally.

Last edited:
Wally looks so adorable, he's on growing on me very quickly, before I just found him completely forgetable.

Now that I'm done fangasming, I have to wonder if Wally's changed a bit in character. They describe him more as being meek and timid over being sickly. I hope this doesn't mean they scrapped that about his character. We have tons of shy/weak characters. Wally's sickness is what made him unique and it's what he's most known for so I hope he retains that about himself.

If they scrapped his illness, its going to be harder to justify why he had to move all the way to Verdanturf Town (supposedly the air currents around Hoenn make the air around Verdanturf fresh)

My only real problem with this version of Wally is his hair. It just seems so wild and a little bit too crazy in my opinion. However, other than that, I do really like his design.

I like all the designs, though I'm worried for May's health. To me these designs make sense so I can't argue.

Back
Top Bottom