• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Characters that you can relate to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revenge of the Boyega

Dancing With Myself
Reaction score
I think it's a pretty wonderful moment when we're reading or watching or playing, and we find someone who echoes our soul. So, who does this for you? Feel free to pick a ton, or whatever.

Oh man, I have several characters I feel like I really relate to. I mostly only get really attached to characters that remind me of myself, as conceited as that must sound lol...

For whatever reason, despite being a girl myself, I mostly only really relate to male characters. I think it's kind of because female characters aren't often written with a personality like mine for some reason, I dunno.

But anyway, the characters I relate to tend to be the ones that are very book-smart (and not necessarily common sense/street smart), bad with people/don't like to be around many people/wear a "mask" around others (bonus points if they love animals though), suffer with grief over losing a loved one and and not really being able to move on from that, are emotionally distant and have a hard time expressing their feelings, has a bit of a temper... that sort of thing.

Just listing some of them, Innes (Fire Emblem), Neil (Harvest Moon), Kurasame Susaya (Final Fantasy), Zane Truesdale (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX), Logy Ficsario (Atelier), Athrun Zala (Gundam Seed), Noel Kreiss (Final Fantasy), Nero (Devil May Cry), Falco Lombardi (Star Fox). Since this is already getting long, I'll just spoiler tag my rambling about some of them (...I REALLY like to talk about characters I like and relate to haha).

Neil (Harvest Moon: A New Beginning) - I think Natsume's usual crappy localization job actually enhances Neil's character to make him more relatable to me since it makes him come across more awkward than rough. He's so very in-touch with animals and clearly more comfortable around them, which I relate to heavily. I'd rather be around cats than people, and I have a hard time dealing with people, like Neil does. One of his heart events also has him mentioning how he sometimes gets stuck thinking about "the bad things" (worded something like that), and I tend to find myself lost in worries and stress so I really felt for him. He's a bit too blunt at times, but is well-meaning.

Innes (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) - This one is SUPER relatable. He's very smart, but not so good with people. He comes across blunt and seems to have a hard time expressing how he feels (particularly with his sister, who he obviously cares about but words things poorly enough that he seems cold and distant to her and others). Innes is also very prideful and competitive, and he seems to be a perfectionist who does not accept failure. All of that is so incredibly relatable to me that Innes is one of those characters that I watch in-game and am just like, "man, I feel you, I totally get you."

Logy Ficsario (Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky) - Mmm, I love me some characters who feel crushed under the weight of self-perceived guilt and failure! Logy blames himself for something and in turn ended up believing that it was better to never try things again because they might go wrong... like me. Logy's also another one of those "smart but not much of a people-person" (especially not compared to Escha, the female protag), and he also has some very neat-freak qualities that remind me of myself. I also appreciate his wit and sometimes dry and sarcastic humor, which is pretty me IRL. He also doesn't play along with Katla's VERY annoying shtick even though she's a kid (I hate that character lmao), which I appreciate greatly.

Zane Truesdale/Ryo Marufuji (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX) - Here's a character I always liked a lot, but he became more relatable as time went on. He's got that kind of aloof-but-smart thing going on that I generally relate to anyway, but the things that he goes through in season 2 (that shift from being the top of your school to entering the real world (... by YGO standards lol) and actually having to experience failure that you never did before and realizing that you're not special and that the world is harsh) really speaks to me since I've kinda experienced a similar rise-and-fall from being someone who did fantastic all throughout school, to things grinding to a halt in "the real world" as an adult and being utterly lost. ...I miss school and having clear goals. ;_; to be honest, I don't like the freedom that comes with being an adult at all :/

Kurasame Susaya (Final Fantasy Type-0) - And here is yet another character who seems kinda emotionally distant but really does care about the people close to him (like Class Zero, his cadets that he cares for but of whom nearly all the cadets - but especially Nine and Cater - act like Kurasame is like some huge jerk when he never really does anything to warrant it?? like, at all?? he's strict but fair). In the prequel manga about him, his personality early on also reminds me a lot of myself with the way he was with his classmates, and his personality during the time of Type-0 proper also resonates with me (and him with his Tonberry is like me with my cats). I dunno, Kurasame is a hard one for me to describe why exactly I relate to him a lot so this is a kind of shoddy answer, but I do.

I can relate a lot to Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia. It's been a long and stressful last year and lots of sorrow in the current, but through all of it I'm learning to rise above my weakness and reach for something more. Midoriya's not a particularly strong, not a very brave young man, but he keeps going and chases his dream on just his pure determination--even when everyone tells him he "can't do it."

There's others, but it's getting late and I'm tired so 'save it for another time.

May I just say that this man is me:

latest

Not physically, but Oda Eiichiro conspired to depict me in his media and this was the result. He dreams of being a famous, honourable warrior of the seas, and even if he's a coward his heart is always in the right place. He is stunningly weak, but that doesn't mean anything in the face of his resolve. He tries pretty hard, which sometimes look pathetic because of his failure rate, and he likes to make people laugh. And when his boastful, full-on attempts at victory don't work, he does sly and opportunistic manoeuvres. He is brilliant, and I can relate on so many levels.

latest

Mostly in the books, and yes I read them because they were hilarious and I was bored. Anyway, he comes off as useless. It's basically a fact, and he sucks at conversation and... everything. He wants to be callous and manly and hero-esque, because he assumes that the two former's are a necessity for the latter. But he realizes that it isn't, and that maybe he can get where he wants without changing himself.

Renton.Thurston.full.180327.jpg

From the anime/manga Eureka Seven, which I read and watched and loved. It's the only anime that I do like, as it happens, and it's basically down to this guy. I can't really convey how deeply he reflects who I am, and only by watching it could you get a grasp on what I'm talking about. But he's useless, and always out of his depth and feels like he's never in a place to do or say anything. He's also polite, and quick to rethink his actions. But he's kind, and curious, and finds his spirit when it counts.

Knights%20and%20Magic%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2004.jpg

Another anime. I know, but this one was forced on me. And this guy... he's weird. He's excitable. He gets so pumped up and angry, and he's doing his best to create something original. But there's always someone better, and this enrages him. But he kind of see's past his initial fury, and be's happy that there is talent out there. Also, appearance-wise we're not so dissimilar.

d53d6ef76f3efa972e745c2174b4bd14.jpg

I have no right to compare myself to him on any level. To presume to would be a grave insult, because no one can match him in my eyes. I grew up with this man, and he... he was amazing. He was bossy, and superior and everything he said would come out sounding harsh and arrogant. But he's not harsh and arrogant. He's just hardened by his role, and to change for another would seem like a weakness. And clumsy. So in that respect... maybe I approach, from a million mile distance, the approximation of similarity.

large.jpg

Because I have one F-CKING TEMPER. And as for the actor, yeah, me and him are very much alike.

Oh, there are others, certainly. Not many women, strangely. But there are some that I adore and would be honoured to relate to. Like...
like...
like..........
oh crap i'm sexist

No, really. Rey does make the list, but I haven't explored it deeply enough to be able to comment on it. So maybe in a while I'll be adding to this.

Max Goof: Coming as a surprise to absolutely no-one, Max is the character I've felt the strongest relation to in probably ever. There are times when I can most certainly sympathise with his frustration with his father (though for somewhat different reasons), we're both spectacularly awkward, that scene in the second movie where he downed a plate of nachos in seconds (with help admittedly), and even just an odd attachment to him that I can't really explain. Oh yes, I can relate to this dog-man.

I can sort of relate to both Simba and Scar from The Lion King.

Simba due to him initially wanting to run away from his worries after meeting Timon and Pumbaa, and then stepping up and doing the right thing. Maybe I'll become that overly protective Dad if I ever have kids?

Scar mostly due to me being the brainy one, and wanting great change, sometimes political, in the world around me no matter what the cost. Also my temper is pretty bad. And me being kind of a liar sometimes to get out of certain situations, is probably going to lead to my demise.

Yayoi Kise (Smile Pretty Cure): She's basically me, minus the autism. She's sweet, shy, kind-hearted, easily frightened, loves to draw, wants to be a mangaka, etc. Plus, she's so freakin' adorable!

Tsubomi Hanasaki (Heartcatch Pretty Cure): Same as above, only Tsubomi likes flowers. She does like reading, just like I do, and is genuinely nice and supportive of her friends, like I try to be.

Akari Sakura (Jewelpet Twinkle): Again, same as the first two. I seem to have a thing for shy, sweet characters who don't have much confidence.

Mary (Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town): She's a bookworm like I am and wants to write her own novel. Like me, she's also rather insecure, though not as open about it, she's shy, and won't stand for people being mean.

I'm writing another because I've been on a journey of self-discovery and thread publicity is a Sith speciality.

k2H6PLN.png

To anyone who has watched Rogue One, you'll know his profile - a frustrated genius who isn't exceptionally concerned with morality in the face of creation and personal achievement. A bastard named Tarkin tries to assume his project which pisses him off and another bastard named Galen tries to destroy his creation because billions of people might die. Yada yada yada. Yeah, they're complete jerks and they win in the end.
He's obviously very logical and competent. That's not necessarily what I'm relating to. Its more his frustration, ambition, panache, grouchiness and tenacity. And the cape! That's one hell of a cape.
I think it'd be easy to confuse with apathy towards others as cruelty, but its not that simple. Its just that his mind is on his ambition - he wants immortality through his creation. In his case, the Death Star. I'm like that. I want to leave a bloody great crater on this world when I'm reduced to space dust.
I'm also just belligerent.
In case no one has watched Rogue One, his name is Orson Krennic, not Awesome Krennic, but I think its far more apt.

latest

Easygoing and lazy who only has energy in the pursuit of pleasure and fun. Quick to be amused.

latest

Sad and pathetic and lonely and insane.

973342p.jpg

Scaredy-cat. Easy to anger. Self-preservation is key.

latest

Wouldn't mind slaughtering the world every once in a while.

I could relate to Pinkie Pie in the early episodes of MLP:FiM. Pinkie Pie in "Party of One" is just so me, it's not even funny.

Oddly enough, I've never really found any other characters I can relate to.

There aren't too many characters I feel I can really relate to, I'll feel attached to them for a lot of reasons but not often for a reason I can relate to. I only have three characters that come to mind that I kinda relate to:

Rinoa Heartilly (Final Fantasy VIII) - I have at times acted as stubborn as she has and have occasionally been naïve to some things, I am especially compassionate towards friends and family. I also occasionally do some light hearted teasing to friends and family though.

Marth (Fire Emblem 1/3/11/12) - Like him I feel uncomfortable if I'm ever praised for something and have been shy before that sometimes comes back depending on the situation, I have also been called aloof before at a party once and few other times as well even though I'm not/try not to look it.

Ace (Final Fantasy Type-0) - Admittedly this is only minor as I only relate because of his calm demeanor and that he fidgets with his cards when alone, I do fidget if I am by myself and is one reason I bought a fidget spinner for. He is also quick to defend his friends, which is similar for me when it comes to my friends and family.

(Otherwise though there are other reasons I am attached to all three characters as well.)

-May from Pokemon Advanced

- Amy Cahill from The 39 Clues

-Tris Prior from Divergent

- Harry Potter

- Loki (not the evil part obviously, but other stuff)

- Sora and Hikari from Digimon Adventure

- Holly Short from Artemis Fowl series

When I say I relate to these characters I don't mean I am hundred percent like them. That would be impossible anyways, since they all have different personalities to begin with.

But what I mean is that, I have some personality traits similar to them. And there have been moments where I could relate with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom