• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review Characters You Think Never At Any Point Received An Objectively Good English Portrayal in Pokémon, Who Deserved Better?

AgedVeteranofShow

Reaction score
Gen I:

Butch- I prefer Eric Stuart's rendition to James Carter Cathcart's out of the two (I'm surprised given how TPCi has given multiple characters too many voices for my tastes in media, Butch only stuck with 1 VA like 4Kids did here), but I think this is someone who deserved better, and didn't get it. His original dub voice is very funny, though, and shows his original English VA's range is wide to come up with this unique take, but I'm not sure Harvey Fierstein impression was the right voice to go with here (and they just did an originally knock-off imitation of it afterward, as with most roles they took over, though that still sounds better than the Dr. Namba portrayal in JN's dub to me)!

Red- Michele Knotz's voice acting is raspy, unclear, and throaty, like Sarah Natochenny's Ash for large portions of BF-DP as well as when she yells to this day or has to emote, even if she's the only VA they cast properly in giving a woman the role in 2008 here, while Bryce Papenbrook's acting is the best and voice clearest of the three in Origins but he sounds more like a 13 year old than a 10 year old, and Thompson's Red sounds both too old AND too raspy (the worst of both worlds) in 2018 in SSB Ultimate to me. I wonder if they had assigned him Veronica Taylor's AG Ash voice on Isamu Akai from "Lights, Camerupt, Action" if that would've actually worked here, sometimes? I didn't think any of the 3 VAs was ideal, but Papenbrook was the least bad to me.

Lt. Surge- Again, I prefer Maddie Blaustein's 1999 rendition to Patrick Seitz's Autopilot 2019 rendition in Masters with stiff deliveries from Bang Zoom, but I can't help but think Surge never got the proper rendition in English here.

Gen II: No one, Eusine has Dan Green for those who don't like Ted Lewis or Kyle Hebert in the part (I don't see what the issue was with Ted Lewis at all though, but agree with the majority that said he was the best of the 3 English VAs, with Kyle Hebert in last place on the other hand for the right reasons).

Gen III: No one, Morrison was probably the worst but Sean Schemmel still did a serviceable job (no, Dogasu, I don't agree w/you here), they found a use for the King Kai voice but also toned it down for once, and it actually FIT this role IMO.

Gen IV:

Kenny- I hate both Rhonda Krempa and Erica Schroeder in the role, really: Krempa sounds like an elementary schoolgirl with a cold, while Schroeder sounds like 4Kids Luffy with a sore throat in a blender. This is someone that I think 4Kids would've done a better job with had they dubbed DP, believe it or not, pretty sure they would not have assigned this role to Erica despite her being in their roster unlike DuArt/TPCi. They would've probably given this role to Amy Birnbaum, IMO.

Gardenia- A perfect example of how much the voice acting/direction fell off the cliff in the late TAJ dub from the 4Kids dub, right here, Lara Starr Rigores' acting is deadpan and the voice feels too lifeless to fit, while the other VA sounds too high pitched and cutesy. See above, I think this role would've probably gone to Veronica Taylor if 4Kids had lasted post-Gen 3 and sounded like a cross between Delia & May.

Gen V:

Skyla- Sarah Natochenny was a much better Cheryl in Gen IV than this...this, I don't know what to say, she sounds attractive and pretty but it doesn't match the Flying-type trainer's attitude very well or mesh with her more outgoing persona well, and the Generations VA, didn't even try and read the lines off the page in a monotone way. Lisa Ortiz probably would've landed this role if the original dub had reached here, IMO.

Gen VI:

Olympia- Sounds way too old in English, too gruff, and too menacing even...they could've done so much better.

Ramos- Do I need to say anything? Stereotypical southern accented by NY VA rendition, total miscast. Masters wasn't any better, either, vs Salerno- same issue, from LA (TX should try this one, seriously).

Gen VII:

Kukui- Not that Abe Goldfarb is a bad VA or anything, but come ON, he's supposed to be in Pokemon Hawaii and he sounds like a generic guy off the street in the dub. It's so bland, forgettable, and dry, the only part he seems to get is the kind side but everything else is a misfire here.

Samson Oak- Marc Thompson made him sound like a Pirate, that is all, not at ALL what I had in mind. It's better than giving JCC this Oak, but miscast.

Rotom Dex- Roger Callagy sounded okay at first, but it quickly deteriorated into sounding like he inhaled helium as it went on, way high too pitched and annoying.

Gen VIII:

Goh- Zeno Robinson is a fine VA, but here, he sounded so scratchy, raspy, and forced. I think Goh deserved a better English dub portrayal than this, his seiyu does such a better job at sounding much more like a boy Ash's age to me.

Raihan- I don't like any of the 3, Mike Dent is probably the best in Masters but has a faux-British accent for some reason, Danny Kramer sounds nasally and snooty, while Nazeeh Tarsha is just really bland, too high-pitched in voice, and generic. They could've done so much better, IMO.

TR Rotom Dex- I'll just leave this here, it speaks for itself, Lisa Ortiz speaking like a 2 year old baby is NOT what I had in mind: dreadnaw,, the BITE POKEMON.

Last edited:
Goh- Zeno Robinson is a fine VA, but here, he sounded so scratchy, raspy, and forced. I think Goh deserved a better English dub portrayal than this, his seiyu does such a better job at sounding much more like a boy Ash's age to me.

While I do think Zeno Robinson's Goh is pretty good and honestly does a pretty good showing his range, I understand if you prefer his seiryu. His seiryu, Daiki Yamashita, is pretty well known for voicing younger males while making them sound distinct like Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia and a Young Zeke Yeager from Attack on Titan.

Honestly, I would probably add any rival whose role was to lose to one of the main characters. They could have had more than just being a constant punching bag. Or any character that was just introduced before a major tournament just to beat Ash. They could have done more with those characters prior to him losing to them.

While I do think Zeno Robinson's Goh is pretty good and honestly does a pretty good showing his range, I understand if you prefer his seiryu. His seiryu, Daiki Yamashita, is pretty well known for voicing younger males while making them sound distinct like Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia and a Young Zeke Yeager from Attack on Titan.

Honestly, I would probably add any rival whose role was to lose to one of the main characters. They could have had more than just being a constant punching bag. Or any character that was just introduced before a major tournament just to beat Ash. They could have done more with those characters prior to him losing to them.
Likewise. Fair point!

Sawyer legit made me want to tear out my own ears. I’ll take Japanese Apple Bloom over whatever the dub decided any day.
Oh, he was horrible in the dub. Lillie is someone else I couldn’t stand in the main Anime dub (he sounded like a 30 year old man, what were they thinking?), re: Lillie she sounds like a stereotypical housewife voice in the SM dub and doesn’t fit a prim, proper young girl at all even though that’s what Hymes was clearly trying to do. The Evolutions VA was better in matching the age, but still didn’t match the character’s personality herself well.

Other than the ones already mentioned:
Pryce - Kyle Hebert phones it in like he does in basically every other Pokemon role, James Carter Cathcart has a bit more character but I wouldn't call him "good".
Roark- Both actors are awkward in this role with unnatural deliveries.
Ghetsis - Not a single one of these choices is good, with Bill Rogers being the worst.
Jackson (Johto) - Neither voice was that great but the Chronicles one was really annoying in particular!

Other than the ones already mentioned:
Pryce - Kyle Hebert phones it in like he does in basically every other Pokemon role, James Carter Cathcart has a bit more character but I wouldn't call him "good".
Roark- Both actors are awkward in this role with unnatural deliveries.
Ghetsis - Not a single one of these choices is good, with Bill Rogers being the worst.
Jackson (Johto) - Neither voice was that great but the Chronicles one was really annoying in particular!
Agreed James Cathcart was indeed the better Pryce of the two, but still not ideal (the old man while somewhat put on voice is still better IMO & far more believable than his Professor Oak in the TPCi Era of the dub, though, I'll give him that). Regarding Jackson, I prefer Salerno as well, but neither seemed the best pick.

Roark, Blair was boring, the other one has weird deliveries.

Ghetsis, agree, Seitz is better here than as Lt. Surge where he phoned in that role outright to the point where Blaustein's "Alright, baby!" goofy thing was genuinely better- Rogers just did an Emperor Palpatine impression, and sounds comical.

Agree on Lillie with @PokeMasterLA, neither Hymes nor the Evolutions VA had what I had in mind, Sawyer already listed as well.

Last edited:
Anything from pokemon chronicles...

Chronicles, as if there's any doubt.
I think there was some good VA work to come out of it, surprisingly: Andrew Rannells was a better Forrest than Joanna Burns in S9 to me, and Eric Stuart made for a better Flint than Ted Lewis or Rodger Parsons as well. The problem was more w/all the script changes, music replacement, the mediocre OPs, etc.

(I don't get what HylianBelmont and some think is great about Dan Green's Eusine from there, though, Legend of Thunder was bad and the worst of even Chronicles but I thought Ted Lewis was better in the main Anime- Kyle Hebert was 100% the worst though in the role IMO, every Pokemon role he's had save Professor Oak, which is middling to me, he has phoned it and not even tried with so far). Green's voice matches the design, sure, he sounds elegant and all but it just feels stereotyped on design to me vs. his Anime portrayal.

Veronica Taylor was a gigantic miscast as Hun though, on that note, why they thought he was a woman I don't know (I suspect 4Kids' team on this- obviously wasn't the Anime one, looks like the One Piece crew which explains a lot- just thought the design was why, same with that one COTD winner Dogasu mentioned in the Kanto League there).

Last edited:
Sawyer legit made me want to tear out my own ears. I’ll take Japanese Apple Bloom over whatever the dub decided any day.

I think Robby Duncan Sharpe is a good VA, but he seemed miscast as Sawyer, sadly.

He sounded a bit too husky for a kid like that, IMO. Though his acting was still at least decent. Regardless, that voice was much more fitting for Arc-V's Kit Blade I feel.
I think there was some good VA work to come out of it, surprisingly: Andrew Rannells was a better Forrest than Joanna Burns in S9 to me, and Eric Stuart made for a better Flint than Ted Lewis or Rodger Parsons as well. The problem was more w/all the script changes, music replacement, the mediocre OPs, etc.

(I don't get what HylianBelmont and some think is great about Dan Green's Eusine from there, though, Legend of Thunder was bad and the worst of even Chronicles but I thought Ted Lewis was better in the main Anime- Kyle Hebert was 100% the worst though in the role IMO, every Pokemon role he's had save Professor Oak, which is middling to me, he has phoned it and not even tried with so far). Green's voice matches the design, sure, he sounds elegant and all but it just feels stereotyped on design to me vs. his Anime portrayal.

Veronica Taylor was a gigantic miscast as Hun though, on that note, why they thought he was a woman I don't know (I suspect 4Kids' team on this- obviously wasn't the Anime one, looks like the One Piece crew which explains a lot- just thought the design was why, same with that one COTD winner Dogasu mentioned in the Kanto League there).

Agreed on Andrew's Forrest, it was a pretty cute voice.

In regards to Dan Green's Eusine, it wasn't exactly perfect. But for me: the smooth, elegant sound of his voice is closest to what I imagined him sounding like, is all. (Plus the way he says "hello there, Kudo..." always makes me smile, tbh.)

I believe Hun's gender being changed was due to a mistranslation in the script they received, according to the late Maddie Blaustein on Serebii. Still odd that the mistake wasn't eventually caught mind you, but alas. Ask Maddie Blaustein - Q&A with Meowth

Agreed on Andrew's Forrest, it was a pretty cute voice.

In regards to Dan Green's Eusine, it wasn't exactly perfect. But for me: the smooth, elegant sound of his voice is closest to what I imagined him sounding like, is all. (Plus the way he says "hello there, Kudo..." always makes me smile, tbh.)

I believe Hun's gender being changed was due to a mistranslation in the script they received, according to the late Maddie Blaustein on Serebii. Still odd that the mistake wasn't eventually caught mind you, but alas. Ask Maddie Blaustein - Q&A with Meowth
I will say, in its defense, at least Dan Green put some emotion into his acting as Eusine (or rather, "Eugene"): Kyle Hebert made me almost fall asleep in Generations with the bland, monotone "Soo-ee-coon" delivery and stiff deliveries there (even if Ted Lewis' voice was somewhat scratchy, I felt he had the most depth & actual presence in characterization to his take out of the three, don't see why he's such a divisive character among fans compared to so many others who debuted in Gen II for the dub).

It's very obvious they farmed Chronicles out to the One Piece team at 4Kids: the main Anime team under them in "A Real Cleffa-Hanger" (obviously a pun on cliff hanger with Cleffa) just told them to kick rocks basically on the PokeGear which I liked, and handled that correctly otoh near the end. And I do recall Blaustein said because of the Chronicles screw up, they cast Harley well right before the purge recast in Season 8 (again, Andrew Rannells, pre-Bill Timoney: both in voice & script I think 4Kids did better than TPCi w/that character).

Last edited:
I guess if I have to give 4Kids one thing, I did respect the choice of changing the genders for Attila and Hun. Lord knows what would happen if such a thing happened today.
I personally thought it was a dumb move on their part, but very funny, if nothing else (to clarify, 4Kids kept Attila's gender the same and he is male in both versions, it's Hun they screwed up on to clarify that one changing him to a woman- some International dubs followed suit). How they thought Veronica Taylor should do that role, I'm not sure though (at least Marc Thompson somewhat fits Attila and Eric Stuart is fine as Professor Sebastian, Hun stood out like a sore thumb in being a huge miscast IMO).

Excuse me. Mind if I cut in?
TR Rotom Dex- I'll just leave this here, it speaks for itself, Lisa Ortiz speaking like a 2 year old baby is NOT what I had in mind: dreadnaw,, the BITE POKEMON.
I just clicked on the link and watched the video.
Oh my God. Just… wow.
“Dwednaw, the bite Pokémawn, a watew and wock type, uh I dunno…” Bruh. Like this one person in the comments said, who let their five year old dub this part? Just… omg I can’t even.
I literally died laughing watching it and reading the comments lol. It’s that laughable.

Excuse me. Mind if I cut in?

I just clicked on the link and watched the video.
Oh my God. Just… wow.
“Dwednaw, the bite Pokémawn, a watew and wock type, uh I dunno…” Bruh. Like this one person in the comments said, who let their five year old dub this part? Just… omg I can’t even.
I literally died laughing watching it and reading the comments lol. It’s that laughable.
Whenever people say Lisa Ortiz was annoying as COTDs in Johto and such, I literally want them to listen to that PokeDex/Rotom Phone voice in the Journeys dub because that is the WORST of all the English voices its ever had to me (runner up would be Roger Callagy/Rob Morrison's Rotom Dex from the SM dub, but even it at least didn't sound like a toddler struggling to enunciate even basic words). I get that Lisa is trying to be funny, but it's more obnoxious and unfunny than endearing (IMO).

How we went from Nick Stellate & Eric Stuart as the PokeDex to this as time passed (who I feel both fit the role very well, respectively), I have no comment on...I didn't like Suzy Myers or Bill Rogers in the role up through XY, but the last two RotomDex voices, make them both sound favorable in comparison in hindsight.

Anyway to keep the thread relevant, Marlon is someone I think was not done justice, from Gen V. Ted Lewis doing a surfer dude impression was cringe-worthy compared to most everything else he's ever done, and Ray Chase sounds like he's in an awkward place between his LA based Piccolo from DB Super and a Chris Sabat Yamcha DBZ take.

Whenever people say Lisa Ortiz was annoying as COTDs in Johto and such, I literally want them to listen to that PokeDex/Rotom Phone voice in the Journeys dub because that is the WORST of all the English voices its ever had to me (runner up would be Roger Callagy/Rob Morrison's Rotom Dex from the SM dub, but even it at least didn't sound like a toddler struggling to enunciate even basic words). I get that Lisa is trying to be funny, but it's more obnoxious and unfunny than endearing (IMO).
I think so, too.
How we went from Nick Stellate & Eric Stuart as the PokeDex to this as time passed
Is that (Nick Stellate) who voiced the Pokédex in Indigo League?
Anyway to keep the thread relevant, Marlon is someone I think was not done justice, from Gen V. Ted Lewis doing a surfer dude impression was cringe-worthy compared to most everything else he's ever done, and Ray Chase sounds like he's in an awkward place between his LA based Piccolo from DB Super and a Chris Sabat Yamcha DBZ take.
I haven’t heard Marlon’s voice yet, so I have no opinion on it.

I think so, too.

Is that (Nick Stellate) who voiced the Pokédex in Indigo League?

I haven’t heard Marlon’s voice yet, so I have no opinion on it.
Thanks!

Yes, basically the English dub VAs for the Pokedex were (including the RotomDex/Phone since it serves the same function):

Nick Stellate (EP001-EP049; The original, first portion of the Indigo League dub, see below)
Eric Stuart (EP050-EP276; AG133-AG145 for the portion of the Battle Frontier episodes the 4Kids dub did get to handle at the tail end of Season 8's dub they handed the role back to Stuart, who had done the role of the PokeDex for 4Kids' runs of mid Kanto to the end of Johto as well as the male counterpart to Rachael Lillis- they used an explanation in the episode that Dexter had received an upgrade hence Eric took over halfway into the Indigo League dub, hence the switch from Stellate)
Rachael Lillis (AG001-AG132, Hoenn Dex)
Bill Rogers (AG146-AG192, BF Dex under TPCi)
Michele Knotz (DP001-DP191, DP Dex)
Marc Thompson (BW001-BW142, BW Dex)
Suzy Myers (XY001-XY140, XY Dex)
Roger Callagy (SM001-SM, SM Dex)
Lisa Ortiz (JN001-Present, JN Dex)

My favorite would be Stuart overall for the acting even though Stellate had the best pitch voice wise to me, with the least favorite Ortiz (ironic since Ortiz was Stuart's love interest in Slayers and I liked her Lina Inverse and various Pokemon roles more than her Rotom Phone/Dex)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom