• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Charizard vs. Articuno

TheCultOfPersonality

Best in The World
Reaction score
Both great Flying types,Great designs. And on top Theyre KANTO! (Kanto Pride) So onto the post, Who has the best design,Movepool,And stats.
Also,
Dont forget the great battle Ash's Charizard had with Articuno. One of the greatest anime battles I've seen, With Charizard coming out on top.

Charizard for sure, he's my favorite starter and Articuno is my least favorite of the Legendary birds so it's no contest for me :p

Well another (and most obvious) connection between the two is that they share a double weakness to rock which greatly hinders their competitive performance.
Out of the two my choice is Charizard.

Articuno is number one. Charizard is... number six at best.

I much prefer Articuno's design. I have to give it to the legend.

"CHARIZARD used BLAST BURN!
............it's super effective!
Enemy ARTICUNO fainted!"

Yeah, no contest. Charizard.

Charizard used Blast Burn!
Articuno held on with Focus Sash
Articuno used Ancientpower!
Charizard is recharging!
Articuno used Ancientpower!
Charizard fainted

And that's the problem with Elemental hyper beams.

I say Articuno because I hate Charizard, Articuno looks graceful and beautiful and also, its a legendary. Call me what you will, but in my book, all legendary Pokemon are far more powerful than regular Pokemon (game statistics notwithstanding.) The way I see it, Articuno will beat Charizard's ass one hundred percent of the time solely based on her legendary status.

(I know this is not strictly accurate, but it's how I envision the Pokemon world.)

^ Who the heck uses Ancientpower for a Pokemon's moveset, and they really need to bring back the "use again after successful kill" mechanic from Gen 1 to make elemental hyper beams useable for once. Also, Articuno's tier placement says otherwise.

^The anime also says otherwise as it was a Charizard that took Articuno out. And there are other powerful fire moves besides Blast Burn. Elemental Hyper Beams are too much of a risk in the modern game.

Yeah... Charizard owns Articuno... Fire STAB against a pokemon who's weak against fire... one Flamethrower or Fire Blast... or any high power Fire move Articuno is slaughtered so Chaizard

Articuno only has a BST of 580... the Legendary birds are meant to be Legends for their rarity, not power. Plus in the ideal Pokemon world Legendaries wouldn't be an instant win over non Legendaries because that sort of breaks the moral of choosing your favorites over looking for the strongest Pokemon.

^ Who the heck uses Ancientpower for a Pokemon's moveset, and they really need to bring back the "use again after successful kill" mechanic from Gen 1 to make elemental hyper beams useable for once. Also, Articuno's tier placement says otherwise.

I love Charizard but I don't agree with you. Charizard will be dead in a couple of turns. However, a properly used Articuno can pp stall out entire teams. At the end of the day, both of them suck in competitive battling though.

I love Charizard but I don't agree with you. Charizard will be dead in a couple of turns. However, a properly used Articuno can pp stall out entire teams. At the end of the day, both of them suck in competitive battling though.

How? I doubt he Articuno could stall Flamethrower... Articuno is weak to Fire Charizard is a Fire Type with a massive SATK... and Solar Power Charizard is being used to great effect him and Blaziken got the best abilities out of the starters

How? I doubt he Articuno could stall Flamethrower... Articuno is weak to Fire Charizard is a Fire Type with a massive SATK... and Solar Power Charizard is being used to great effect him and Blaziken got the best abilities out of the starters

His RU tiering says otherwise. Feraligatr, Venusaur, Infernape, Serperior and Emboar all got better abilities than Charizard. Furthermore, Charizard's SPA is 109 which, after the Power creep of Gen V, is rather meh.

Also, 252 SPA Charizard Flamethrower vs 252/252 Articuno does 48.4%-57.8% according to Smogon's calculator. It barely does half damage at its best. All Articuno needs is an opening to Toxic Charizard and the rest is history.

All of the legendary birds can run SubRoost sets that stall almost everything in their respective tiers to oblivion.

ArticunPRO

Wait......why would you use Flamethrower over Fire Blast on 'Zard? Just sayin'.

Wait......why would you use Flamethrower over Fire Blast on 'Zard? Just sayin'.

Power Points? Accuracy? With Fire Blast, you just increase Articuno's opportunities to Toxic you and again, once she does, it's game over. Also, Fire Blast still doesn't OHKO Articuno.

252 Charizard Fire Blast vs 252/252 Articuno=61.5%-72.4%

If it misses, and it will, Articuno will take advantage of the opportunity and stall you to death.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom