• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Charizard vs. Magcargo

Andros 1337

Reaction score
So, who do you think would win?

I would say that Charizard would pwn Magcargo easily. Charizard may have a 4x Rock weakness, however, Macargo has a 4x Ground weakness, and Charizard is faster than Magcargo.

Charizard has a better design and is more useful in battles.

what a ridiculous comparison :|

Charizard's got earthquake and speed, so wins battling
It's a fire dragon, Macargo is a snail. It wins looks wise.

Not really much else to it...

Charizard may outspeed Magcargo and know Earthquake, but the fact remains that Magcargo has nice Defense. It's probably gonna be able to withstand at least one Earthquake (or better yet, hold an Air Balloon), and strike back with Rock Slide/Stone Edge for the win.

With a mustache.

Charizard may outspeed Magcargo and know Earthquake, but the fact remains that Magcargo has nice Defense. It's probably gonna be able to withstand at least one Earthquake (or better yet, hold an Air Balloon), and strike back with Rock Slide/Stone Edge for the win.

With a mustache.

Neither Rock Slide nor Stone Edge are 100% accurate. Also, Charizard has more attack power and HP.

Basically, the point of this poll was to prove an anti-Charizard bias in the online Pokemon community. Anyone here who votes for Magcargo is clearly anti-Charizard biased.

Basically, the point of this poll was to prove an anti-Charizard bias in the online Pokemon community. Anyone here who votes for Magcargo is clearly anti-Charizard biased.
Charizard is winning though! And I voted for him too!

Little do you know that I rigged this poll to prove an anti-Magcargo bias in the online Pokemon community! Anyone here who votes for Charizard is clearly anti-Magcargo biased.

what a ridiculous comparison :|

Charizard's got earthquake and speed, so wins battling
It's a fire dragon, Macargo is a snail. It wins looks wise.

Not really much else to it...

^This. All of it. *looks at first sentence*

Yeah, Charizard wins in every way possible over Macargo. Might as well do Tyranitar vs. Smoochum.

So, who do you think would win?

I would say that Charizard would pwn Magcargo easily. Charizard may have a 4x Rock weakness, however, Macargo has a 4x Ground weakness, and Charizard is faster than Magcargo.

Don't forget Water.

Yeah, Charizard all the way. It's cuter, too.

Don't forget Water.

Yeah, Charizard all the way. It's cuter, too.

WTF?! HOW? Oh wait, I thought you said Magcargo.

Anyway, my vote goes to the wannabe-dragon. Sure, Magcargo looks cool, but in the end, a blob of magma with a rock shell and Yoshi head isn't going to beat anything. Not to mention that it has 2 4x weaknesses, a weaknss to itself and fighting, and is slower than a snail. And unless he gets Solid Rock or a Water-cancel ability(Look at his 'Dex entry from Sapphire!), then he's alway's gonna be one of the worst.

Charizard, on the other hand, is much quicker than the Escargot, and it has a wide movepool at its disposal. This allows it to beat th living crap out of Maggy. So yeah.

Last edited:
Neither Rock Slide nor Stone Edge are 100% accurate. Also, Charizard has more attack power and HP.

Charizard is winning though! And I voted for him too!

Little do you know that I rigged this poll to prove an anti-Magcargo bias in the online Pokemon community! Anyone here who votes for Charizard is clearly anti-Magcargo biased.

...I voted for Magcargo, but I have no bias either way.

*flees*

*with a mustache*

charizard is overated and magcargo is a rock type... it may be slower but it has wicked defence and decent attack... its the magma boss, what does charizard have??? a candle on the end of its tail

just ask my lv100 magcargo... Like A Boss!!!

Charizard.
It's true that Magcy has great defence sstats,
but it still wouldn't be able to KO Charizard in time.
I mean let's face it...both it's HP and ATK are only 50,
which mean:
1. Even with it's great defences it wouldn't propably take more than 2 EQ's to KO it.
2. Even with Rockslide and SE it still lacks the strenght to use them effectively.

So sorry Magcargo. You're definitely going to lose.
Don't take it hard, I still remember our time in Saphire, nor Charizard takes the win just being Charizard in my book...
It's just that you don't have enough power to KO the opponen. D:

Your LOGIC = FAIL.

I voted for Charizard. I acknowledge the fact that Charizard is BETTER than Magcargo. I still hate Charizard, and would prefer Magcargo over that dump.

You know, guessing's fun. But how about math? Using psypoke's damage calculator, it is impossible for earthquake to onehitko Magcargo without any form of additional moves done to increase it's ability (248 average, 272 Max). Magcargo's Stone Edge on Charizard however, almost always does, delivering an average of 364 damage with a max over 400 (Charizard's HP is 360). A little too close for comfort or concerned with 80% accuracy of Stone Edge?

Shell Smash on Magcargo will make it faster than Charizard at an overwhelming rate (somewhere in the neighborhood of 475-480) and it's Attack to around 600. Since it will go first on the 2nd turn, it will KO Charizard even with Rock Slide at 90% Accuracy.

So iow, the bias is going the other way, Magcargo is an 85% winner in this one on one.

Shell Smash on Magcargo will make it faster than Charizard at an overwhelming rate (somewhere in the neighborhood of 475-480) and it's Attack to around 600. Since it will go first on the 2nd turn, it will KO Charizard even with Rock Slide at 90% Accuracy
Wait...Magcargo with base speed of 30 becomes faster than Charizard with 100 base speed after ONE shell smash?
Is that true? If so then I've underestimated Shell Smash for too long,
since it would make Carracosta an amazing tank.

To be honest I've never understood the whole "stages system"
...I always thought that it would rise speed in following way:
Magcargo, 30 -> Shell Smash -> Spd 50
Would someone please answer me this so I understand it.

It just seems so unbelievable for Shell Smash to be THAT awesome.

EDIT: Aaaaah...I think I get it.
Mann...This move is just AWESOME! O.O
Carracosta, here I come.

Last edited:
Wait...Magcargo with base speed of 30 becomes faster than Charizard with 100 base speed after ONE shell smash?
Is that true? If so then I've underestimated Shell Smash for too long,
since it would make Carracosta an amazing tank.

To be honest I've never understood the whole "stages system"
...I always thought that it would rise speed in following way:
Magcargo, 30 -> Shell Smash -> Spd 50
Would someone please answer me this so I understand it.

It just seems so unbelievable for Shell Smash to be THAT awesome.

2 Stages=200% Raise. Here this will explain. And yes..it is that awesome. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats#Stages

Edit: I realized my mistake. It would be doubled, Not 200% increase

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom