• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Charizard vs. Magcargo

LOL, Charizard. More power, more HP AND Earthquake?!!! Not even a competition.

Do people read nothing? Stabbed Stone Edge is 150 damage x4 or 600. Last time i Checked 600>400. And it's not about power..it's power relative to defense which Magcargo has the advantage in

All right, with a combination of PokeSav and PsyPoke's Damage Calculator, here are the results I reached:

Adamant Charizard @ Choice Band VS Impish Magcargo @ Shuca Berry
31 IVs each, with 252/252/4 EVs in ATK/HP/DEF and DEF/HP/ATK respectively.

Charizard's Stats
HP: 360
ATK: 293
DEF: 193

Magcargo's Stats
HP: 304
ATK: 137
DEF: 372

So, even with Choice Band, against Shuca-Magcargo, the most QuakeZard is doing is about 184-204.

Magcargo then uses Stone Edge on Charizard, for massive damage. The damage range is about 336-364, a definite OHKO.

The shaky accuracy is well worth bringing the stupid ugly oh-so-original fire-breathing dragon off of his high-horse. ._. The odds are much more in Magcargo's favor.

Thus Magcargo is the clear winner with Shuca Berry. Fire snails are much more original and better than the truly overdone fire-breathing dragon.

Charizrd FTW, oveously! It has better stats looks way cooler I mean is there really a contest?

All right, with a combination of PokeSav and PsyPoke's Damage Calculator, here are the results I reached:

Adamant Charizard @ Choice Band VS Impish Magcargo @ Shuca Berry
31 IVs each, with 252/252/4 EVs in ATK/HP/DEF and DEF/HP/ATK respectively.

Charizard's Stats
HP: 360
ATK: 293
DEF: 193

Magcargo's Stats
HP: 304
ATK: 137
DEF: 372

So, even with Choice Band, against Shuca-Magcargo, the most QuakeZard is doing is about 184-204.

Magcargo then uses Stone Edge on Charizard, for massive damage. The damage range is about 336-364, a definite OHKO.

The shaky accuracy is well worth bringing the stupid ugly oh-so-original fire-breathing dragon off of his high-horse. ._. The odds are much more in Magcargo's favor.

Thus Magcargo is the clear winner with Shuca Berry. Fire snails are much more original and better than the truly overdone fire-breathing dragon.

Even when considering Choice Band, You could then argue Shell Smash + Rock Slide would be a better strategy. When considering DD, Curse owns Charizard. There is such a little ratio here for Charizard to win a 1 on 1 it's ridiculous it's getting this many votes.

Focus Blast?

I'm sorry.. I just see so much EQ and no Focus Blast.

Charizard of coarse.

Magcargo.

Air Balloon means it can tank anything Charizard throws at it, then OHKO with Rock Slide.

Plus it looks cooler.

Neither Rock Slide nor Stone Edge are 100% accurate. Also, Charizard has more attack power and HP.

Basically, the point of this poll was to prove an anti-Charizard bias in the online Pokemon community. Anyone here who votes for Magcargo is clearly anti-Charizard biased.

Let me take this one part at a time...

Magcargo actually learns Ancientpower, which is 100% accurate and runs off of his higher special attack stat. Due to Charizard's 4x weakness to rock, the power difference isn't important. You use this move to kill it.

And god forbid someone actually does like Magcargo! It may actually be my favorite fire type.

Big Matty Kane said:
Even when considering Choice Band, You could then argue Shell Smash + Rock Slide would be a better strategy. When considering DD, Curse owns Charizard. There is such a little ratio here for Charizard to win a 1 on 1 it's ridiculous it's getting this many votes.

Unless Magcargo was holding an Air Balloon or Focus Sash, he'd never survive a Choice Band EQ to use Shell Smash. Same with Curse. D8 And even with a Speed + nature, Magcargo won't be out-speeding Charizard anytime soon.

But I agree on everything, though. Magcargo would win the fight easily.

El_ said:
Focus Blast?

I'm sorry.. I just see so much EQ and no Focus Blast.

Charizard of coarse.

*of course

Probably an accuracy VS power thing. Focus Blast is LESS accurate than Stone Edge by 10%, a very crucial 10%.

Karpi said:
Magcargo actually learns Ancientpower, which is 100% accurate and runs off of his higher special attack stat. Due to Charizard's 4x weakness to rock, the power difference isn't important. You use this move to kill it.

D8 I totally forgot about AncientPower! Yes, I think that is the better move to use!

I definitely prefer Magcargo over the Over-rated dragon. I honestly can't see Charizard winning against this match-up.

Charizard would win if it was BellyZard. Other than that, it's normally a special sweeper and doesn't often carry Ground moves.

Voted for Magcargo because he's cute. :3

I voted for this a while ago. And I don't know who I voted for. :< Anyway Charizard is a over-rated pile of trash. I'd take lava snails over candle tailed dragon anyday. Plus Magcargo has a more creative design and speeds up the egg hatching process with it Flame Body ability :D

Lava trails over snail trails people! >:D

They are both equally matched~
However, I'm going to root for Charizard 'cause he's friggin awesome! :D

Can't Charizard learn Dig? And I'm pretty sure Charizard is faster,so with that said...

Charizard wins.

since I consider Macargo the absolute WORST fire pokemon in existance(His HP ATK and Speed are horridnans his SATK and DEFare only 80 (At least Snivy's other stats are pretty high 95 in both defenses and a 113 speed. plus lot of moves to boost his lackluster attack.) Macaro is pitiful and has a pitiful move-poll so charizard by far

I voted for this a while ago. And I don't know who I voted for. :< Anyway Charizard is a over-rated pile of trash. I'd take lava snails over candle tailed dragon anyday. Plus Magcargo has a more creative design and speeds up the egg hatching process with it Flame Body ability :D

Lava trails over snail trails people! >:D

I love you soooo much.
Macargo is awesome. Plus he's HOTTA THAN THE SUN.

Both are alright to me, but I personally prefer Magcargo, purely for design reasons. A snail made of magma is a much more creative idea than a generic fire-breathing dragon. Even if Charizard makes a better draconic monster than the only fully evolved Dragon-Type of Gen 1, Magcargo's concept is more interesting to me. Plus, it's highly underestimated. Even I was guilty of that. However, Magcargo proved its worth in Pokémon Colosseum, where it makes Dakim a cakewalk and helps with those pesky Steel Pokémon.

In battle, they're more even than expected, as proved by others. Bottom line, Magcargo has the advantage due to Rock STAB. 4x weakness doesn't always equal death lol. Yep, I know it goes both ways in here, but Magcargo has much more of a chance than people give it credit for. It's also terribly underestimated. It might not be a top favorite, but I've learned to not deem it as a completely useless Pokémon, because it's not. There's many more that are actually useless (Early rodents, Delibird, Farfetch'd). Magcargo might not be as useful as Charizard, but it can defeat the dragon with fairly high odds.

I used to think that Charizard was the absolute best Pokémon back in the day, just like all of the other kids did, though I have since grown out of that mentality. Of course, there was good reason to believe this, and I still prefer its design over Magcargo. While Magcargo definitely has a direct advantage over Charizard in a fight between the two, both of them have crippling 4x weaknesses, and Magcargo is just too slow to cover his. Sorry, man, gotta give this one to 'zard.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom