• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Charizard vs. the Dragon of Fire

Does Charizard stand a chance?

• Total voters

Paulisthebest

"Ursaring, standby for battle!"
Reaction score
With good ol' Charizard back in the game (or in this case anime :p) how do you think it will fair against Reshiram?

Based on the opening song showing Charizard blocking one of Reshiram's attacks with Flamethrower no doubt it will throw down with the legend, I mean its faced legendary Pokemon in the past! I just hope that Charizard's moveset improves. Don't mean to keep bringing that up but it just concerns me that its moveset doesn't really "pop" Dragon Tail is an interesting move and I do kind of like seeing its whole tail turn blue including the flame.

I was really hoping to see Flare Blitz or Giga Impact something that really gives that fire dragon a real boost in power moves.

I'm hoping that we FINALLY see Blast Burn in the anime and who better to debut that move than Charizard? (Not gonna lie back in the DP days I thought that privilege would have gone to Infernape...).

So, how do you think Charizard will do if it has to face the BW Dragon of Fire?

I'm thinking it will bust out a new move if it does have to battle.

I agree that there will be a battle in the April 11th episode (we know that Charizard will appear then) and that Charizard may learn a new move. But there is pretty much no chance of Charizard defeating Reshiram, as the final showdown will pit N against Reshiram.

Alone Charizard would die, but if they go the Dragonite and Charizard vs Reshiram...they'd probably put up a good fight (though still lose). In fact I wouldn't mind that team up really.

I guess Charizard will battle Reshiram to buy time, until N or something calms it down.
They never go to the beating way with such legendaries...

[video=youtube;FJbmB9k2Y88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88[/video]

If he can beat an Articuno, he can beat anybody...

Charizard beat a Legend before. But Ash got regression so, so may charizard

Even if this were DP Ash...he and Charizard would still lose to Reshiram

Charizard beat a legend before sure he had a type advantage but it didn't stop the anime before well besides immunities. Plus Charizard has a dragon move and has the potential to learn others

As I think Charizard's movepool may be improved during the battle (hopefully Blast Burn, Dragon Pulse or Giga Impact), my guess is it has no chance against Reshiram. Sure, it beat an Articuno, but now we're talking about a powerful legendary fire dragon among of the most strong Pokémon (as if 4x resistance wasn't enough). I don't see any results but forced interrupt or Charizard's loose.

Charizard battling Reshiram is really awesome to watch.. Remember the days when Charizard battled legendary Articuno during a gym battle, and the Entei created by Unown's illusion(more powerful than the real one). Seemingly it won one battle and lost the other. Well past experiences do favor Charizard, but battling Reshiram is going to be one epicbattle of lifetime. The fact is that Charizard has access to all fire moves, learn flying, dragon-type moves also. I sincerely hope to see a new move that Charizard may learn to be only using it against Reshiram. It may give N some chance to telepathically communicate with Reshiram or use the whatever box that hangs in his pants to calm it down..

Reshiram is clearly going to be stronger than Articuno, I don't think even Charizard could do it alone. If he were to team up with his new rival however...

Articuno is not on the same calibur as Reshiram, so managing to defeat one of the ice birds does not in any way prove that Charizard can hold his own against Reshiram. I'm going to say that Charizard stands no chance in this (seemingly likely) battle - unless Charizard gets a temporary god-level power-up, like Pikachu against Regice - and will only fend off the white dragon to defend everyone or distract it, or whatever the reason is, with the help of others.

Last edited:
Wasn't that Articuno rather young and/or inexperienced?

Reshiram is a whole other monster. I do think Charizard will give a good fight if pitted again the Dragon of Truth. But he can't win.

Look Charizard anime version is uber. He has not been soften up by new lax noob ash unlike pikachu so should kick face.

This is RESHIRAM! Not a secondary trio thingy called Articuno/Regice! It is a MASCOT, and it is a DRAGON! N's flashbacks depicted it as a DESTROYER!
Charizard can put a great fight against it, but it's doomed already!

I like someone mentioning Charizard not winning or having a chance unless having a god-like power up like Pikachu when I think of that I go back to that Spirit Bomb/Electro Ball after absorbing Thunder from the BW Blue Thunder Genie haha

I know Charizard is no Infernape but hey we haven't seen it use Blaze yet. Not to mention I picture it being in a tight spot and using Blast Burn due to it being at its wits end and using a new move but with it being used against a Fire/Dragon combo :p

I know Charizard is no Infernape but hey we haven't seen it use Blaze yet. Not to mention I picture it being in a tight spot and using Blast Burn due to it being at its wits end and using a new move but with it being used against a Fire/Dragon combo :p
Blaze will boost its Fire moves, but that doesn't help at all against a Fire Dragon. Blast Burn may get Reshiram in a bad spot due to surprise, though.

Also, if Charizard beat Reshiram, then the whole arc is technically finished, without needing three episodes for it. I still believe their fight will be interrupted by gods know the next scumbag or Charizard being knocked down.

Last edited:
Yeah I think its more about Charizard putting up a good fight than it actually winning. I think N will be the real "winner" in this thing probably due to some human/Pokemon connection or whatever.

You know how the anime has that formula where an older character relates to Ash in someway whether it be Ash was "them when they were younger" like Volkner or like I mentioned before some connection is formed and that's the end of that

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom