• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Charizard's return to the anime. For or against?

I'll just be upfront:

As shitty as this saga's been, Charizard is a warm reminder of what this series used to be. Just like seeing Muk was a breath of fresh air last episode. Even Johto wasn't this crappy as I've said and I still stand by it. I will admit that Charizard training on its own then coming back and kicking ass under Ash's ownership always left a small sour taste in my mouth, but since it's an original I don't mind really. It would suck for its last appearance to be a loss to a Dusclops anyway.

I must say though, Ash pulling out Kingler or Glalie would have done wonders and been refreshing. Have you seen the League? I would love some constant reminders of what this show was originally founded on.

I'd be happy just to see a Richie flashback at this point...

Charizard is possibly Ash's only pokemon that would stand a chanse against Reshiram. Bringing back pokemon such as kingler just dosent make sense. While he is strong, he, just like many of Ash's other pokemon, would stand no chance against Reshiram.

As someone who has been waiting for 6+ years and think that BW is the worst saga ever and thinks the unova league was shit with only 1 full battle I am 100% for charizard coming back and maybe make my watching BW for the last 2 years worth it.
It's my favourite of Ash's pokemon and my favourite starter overall so it could save the anime for me as long as the writers don't screw up the plasma ark.

Having Charizard come back after all the shit we've had to endure this saga is like finding out that you aren't really lactose intolerant and can finally have ice cream. Granted, there are loads more Pokes that deserve to come back over Charizard, but if bringing him back is some sort of foreshadowing of bringing back the old Ash, I'm all for it.

I mean AG and DP Ash of course.

The thing is though, if the writers had spent more time developing his Unova Pokemon, it could be one of them fighting Reshiram. They wouldn't even have to bring Charizard in. That's why Ash's catching more than 6 Pokemon at a time isn't always a good thing.
I dunno. None of them are really that intimidating or cool aside from Krookodile, and he can't even fly. Not to mention, Charizard has popularity on his side, which is a pretty big incentive to watch the arc. I don't think many people would be interested if one of the pulls of the arc was "Scraggy/Unfezant battles Reshiram."

The thing is though, if the writers had spent more time developing his Unova Pokemon, it could be one of them fighting Reshiram. They wouldn't even have to bring Charizard in. That's why Ash's catching more than 6 Pokemon at a time isn't always a good thing.
I dunno. None of them are really that intimidating or cool aside from Krookodile, and he can't even fly. Not to mention, Charizard has popularity on his side, which is a pretty big incentive to watch the arc. I don't think many people would be interested if one of the pulls of the arc was "Scraggy/Unfezant battles Reshiram."

If Ash had an emboar and a big flier like Hydreigon that would be a battle for the ages :D

I wouldn't be surprised if Charizard just comes back to get its ass kicked by legendaries. After all, when it came back to battle Brandon it lost quickly to Dusclops and didn't get a single win.

I wouldn't be surprised if Charizard just comes back to get its ass kicked by legendaries. After all, when it came back to battle Brandon it lost quickly to Dusclops and didn't get a single win.
And that was more than likely to give Squirtle and Bulbasaur some time to shine - while still giving Pikachu the main glory - knowing that Charizard already had his turn for that against Nolan's Articuno in the BF challenge. This time around, I can see the writers making the most of Charizard's comeback after his long absence - provided BW doesn't screw him up, too.

Nonetheless, I might agree that Charizard may not fare well against Reshiram, although he'll probably be backed up by others in the fight. I'm sure the fandom will call unrealistic if Charizard does go toe-to-toe with one of the most powerful legendaries, as well.

Why would ash need an Emboar for? He already has Infernape. Even if Ash had an Emboar, it would be remarkably boring considering its yet another fire-fighting one. (for the record, pignite is boring too). Neither Pignite nor Emboar would be exciting because they have NOTHING to distinguish themselves from his other fire types.

And Hydregion? he already has too many ugly pokemon. Lol, besides two dragons may be a bit too much. If anything, his Gible needs to evolve.

Overall, i don't see any of his UNOVA pokemon going toe to toe with Reshiram.

Actually, I do not watch the anime so often. But Charizard coming back sounds good to me. However, I also would like to see his other, older pokémon too. Up to now, I do not like BW/BW2 so much. Ash as a noob after making it to the Top4 of the Sinnoh league? And being the only trainer in the whole, freaking competition to beat Tobias' Darkrai? No, thank you. Therefore, Charizard is a really good change. Especially if there is really a fight against Reshiram coming, as the intro suggests. I only have one wish. Please, let Charizard stay with Ash. And do not give him to "future dragon mistress" Iris. I like game!Iris. Anime!Iris? Not so much. And as the writers mainly screwed up the plot of BW/BW2 so far, I'm afraid. Very much afraid about what else they might do...

I'm all for Charizard making a return. Ash doesn't boast, or really mentioned his other Pokémon or accomplishments. I really want it rubbed in Iris and Trip's faces that Ash is an extremely experienced trainer.

Plus, Ash had plenty of experience dealing with a tremendously powerful disobedient dragon when Charizard didn't listen to him; Charizard could help Iris' Dragonite learn some humility.

Actually, I'm for Charizard's return. It'd be a nice surprise to see Charizard return from the Charicific Valley.

I'm pumped about this. Brings back memories from the great Kanto era of the anime.

As long as the writers don't ruin this return like they did with Dawn's, then I'm all for it.

All for it. Ash needs a powerhouse, especially with all of the Team Plasma conflicts on the horizon. Im especially interested to see how Charizard will meet up with Ash and the gang. Will Ash just call for him for a specific reason? He hasn't done that to any of his older Pokemon at all (despite having several opportunities) since he's been in Unova.. Im guessing Ash will just run into him in Unova randomly somehow.

Also can't wait to see how Charizard and Iris' Dragonite will interact. Hopefully Charizard can help it develop for the better.

Last edited:
I am so for it since this episode is on my Birthday and is one of both My favorite and My Best Friends Favorite Pokemon Since we first got into Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom