• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Charizard's signature move

What do you think is Charizard's signature move?

• Total voters

Andros 1337

Reaction score
I was thinking about this recently, and there seems to be no consensus on what is Charizard's signature move.

Here are the following options:
Flamethrower - Most frequent attack used by Charizard in the anime. SSB also states that Flamethrower is Charizard's signature move.

Fire Spin - Attack featured on the original Charizard TCG card.

Fire Blast - A very common move on Charizard movesets outside the anime world.

Blast Burn - Was exclusive until XD, however, rarely seen in any Pokémon media.

Personally, my vote would be Flamethrower, due to frequent usage in the anime as well as confirmation by SSB.

I don't think Charizard should have a signature move, because all of those are used by a lot of Pokémon other than Charizard.

Maybe there's no consensus because he doesn't have one.

Flamethrower is a move many Pokemon can learn and is a TM.

The criteria you give for Fire spin is ridiculous considering those cards originated from the games, and the fact Charizard featured fire spin doesn't mean anything significant, and fire spin was learned by all (or nearly all) the first generation fire families.

Fire Blast, again same issue as flame thrower, and if your criteria for fire spin was that it was prominently featured in a TCG, Fire Blast was Blaine's Magmar's signature move of choice.

Blast Burn, while it was introduced to be exclusive to the Kanto starters, already felt like a "starter-exclusive" move along with the other elemental hyperbeams. The issue with that at the time though, was that it was a FrLg move tutor, and one of the criteria was that the Pokemon needed to be the player's starter.

It's not even the same case as that of Lucario's Aura Sphere which is still highly associated with it, and almost exclusively learned by it, and a few other Pokemon that have some sort of 'aura' feel (strong relations to emotions in Togekiss' case, and in Mienshao, sharpening its physical body with their mind) or are just legendary. Even the legendaries are exclusive in that they are either Mew and its clone, or one of the Sinnoh Dragon legends.

Same for Arcanine's Extreme Speed. Even now, the only Pokemon who learn it that aren't legendary, is a Pokemon that can enhance its body with aura, another Pokemon with debatable aura abilities (Togekiss' ability of empathy, and use of Aura Sphere) and a line of Dratini that is bred from a Dratini from a Dragon user clan whose most prominent member had game-defying Dragonites.

There's nothing really special or exclusionary about Charizard's moves. Most exclusives were in fact exclusive to those Pokemon until the introduction of a new game. Charizard doesn't really fit any of that.

The poll should really give an option of "none" as "other" implies that we think there is one

Personally, my vote would be Flamethrower, due to frequent usage in the anime as well as confirmation by SSB.

So we're going with noncanon material now? If I recall, a lot of the moves learned by Ness and Lucas aren't even stuff they know in-games. By that same token of logic, one can argue Fire Blast, or in the case of squirtle, Rapid Spin, as we've seen Squirtle do that in the anime long before it was an actual move.

Last edited:
The move that I would most associate with Charizard is Fire Blast simply because Fire Blast was a powerful Fire-move in the early anime, as Charizard was a powerful Fire-type pokemon in the early anime. But yeah, I don't feel it's necessary to give Charizard his/her own signature move.

The move that I would most associate with Charizard is Fire Blast simply because Fire Blast was a powerful Fire-move in the early anime, as Charizard was a powerful Fire-type pokemon in the early anime. But yeah, I don't feel it's necessary to give Charizard his/her own signature move.
Kind of a strange association since the Charizard in question never used Fire Blast in the early anime nor did it ever learn it.

It's like closely associating Blast Burn for being the most powerful fire move to Ash's Infernape who never used it (even though Barry's Empoleon and Paul's Torterra knew the other elemental hyper beams)

The move debut with Magmar, was that particular Magmar's signiture (much like Ash's Pikachu being famous for Iron Tail), and the only time it was used after that in the first season was Gary's defeat against Giovanni.

Well, Charizard doesn't have an actual signature move of course, but there are a few that come to mind anyway, all from different parts of my experience. Seismic Toss from the anime, of course... who doesn't remember Ash's Charizard carrying Blaine's Magmar above the freaking atmosphere? Blast Burn is from the games, and while not exclusive to Charizard, is only learned by the Fire-type starters (and Smeargle), and that's probably the closest Charizard will ever get to a real signature move. Then, from my experience in competitive battling, there's Belly Drum. It's not the only Belly Drum sweeper by a long shot, but Bellyzard is one of the most well-known.

When someone says "signature move" my feeling is that it applies to a move a certain Pokemon uses frequently or almost always.
Like Outrage pointed out, Fire Blast in the anime was pretty much introduced with Blaine's Magmar.
In the case of Ash's Charizard many would probably say that Seismic Toss was it's signature move since it's not a move associated with the Pokemon yet it used it a lot, often as a finishing move.
Thinking about it, seeing Ash's Charizard using Seismic Toss on Blaine's Magmar was pretty damn epic.

But on topic, no, Charizard doesn't actually have a signature move. Blast Burn is as close as you get I think.

Yea I would defiantly say Seismic Toss is Charizard's most recognizable move thanks to the Anime, But I looked on The List of Pokémon and their signature moves from bulbapedia and Charizard simply doesn't have one.

I chose other as Charizard has no clear Signiture move. Same with his Gen 1 Partners

Kind of a strange association since the Charizard in question never used Fire Blast in the early anime nor did it ever learn it.

It's like closely associating Blast Burn for being the most powerful fire move to Ash's Infernape who never used it (even though Barry's Empoleon and Paul's Torterra knew the other elemental hyper beams)

The move debut with Magmar, was that particular Magmar's signiture (much like Ash's Pikachu being famous for Iron Tail), and the only time it was used after that in the first season was Gary's defeat against Giovanni.

Personally, I dont see the association as strange. Growing up with the anime as a kid leads to similar things sticking together in your mind. Even if technically they may not be the same or closely related at all. When I think about it hard, I never saw Charizard using Fire Blast. I guess I'm just remembering that episode with Blaine and his Magmar... :-/

But either way, when I think of Charizard, Fire Blast is one of the moves that comes to mind. I guess it's because Charizard was a strong Fire-type pokemon early on, & Fire Blast was a strong Fire-type move early on. Not too far off when you think about it, lol. My mind kinda associated the 2 terms with each other. But then again, maybe it's just me that's relating the 2 terms on a type basis.

Well lets just say for time's sake he did have one.

Out of the choices the most reasonable one would be flamethrower.

I chose other as Charizard has no clear Signiture move. Same with his Gen 1 Partners

There are Gen I pokemon with (former) signature moves. For example Arcanine and ExtremeSpeed.

None of the starters really have signature moves, with the possible exception of Blaziken.

I don't see how that separates Gen I from any other generation.

None of the starters really have signature moves, with the possible exception of Blaziken.

I don't see how that separates Gen I from any other generation.

Blaze Kick can be bred onto Riolu, and others, I think. D:

And it's Emboar who has the true starter-signature-move thing going, at least for now. Only Tepig, Pignite, and Emboar can learn "Heat Crash", right?

And as for the topic, when I think of my Charizard from FRLG (Ryuu), I can only think of Heat Wave. For Ryuu, I used that move over the other fire-type moves available, even today.

Blaze Kick can be bred onto Riolu, and others, I think. D:

And it's Emboar who has the true starter-signature-move thing going, at least for now. Only Tepig, Pignite, and Emboar can learn "Heat Crash", right?

And as for the topic, when I think of my Charizard from FRLG (Ryuu), I can only think of Heat Wave. For Ryuu, I used that move over the other fire-type moves available, even today.

Chimchar. Chimchar can have Blaze Kick by breeding. And Hitmonlee learns it by level up. Yes, only Tepig's line can learn Heat Crash, but they've only existed for one generation. Back in Gen III, Leaf Blade was Sceptile's signature move. Now, we have Serperior.

Back on topic, Charizard shouldn't have a signature move. All of the choices I can list at least 3-5 Pokemon that learns it. But, if I were to pick, I would say Flamethrower. Honestly, 'm wishin I had picked other, because of Dragon Claw. I play way too much Pokemon Rumble.

Voted other cause I don't think Charizard has one and if I HAD to pick I wouldn't pick any of those. Did Charizard ever use Fire Blast or Blast Burn in the Anime? Fire Blast definitely belongs to Blaine's Magmar I know that.

So I guess the consensus is that charizard dosent have a signature move, not even in the anime. If Charizard was to have one, what should it be?

PS - sorry if I'm going off topic

The problem with many of these arguments is that "signature moves" don't necessarily have to be exclusive - just a move that the character in question is known for using frequently or exceptionally well. So, it might vary from specimen to specimen - for example, Bugsy's Scyther is associated with Fury Cutter or U-Turn depending on the generation, but when I raised a Scyther myself, I leaned more heavily toward X-Scissor as its main offensive move. Two examples of the same species with different "signature moves." As a species, I tend to associate Charizard with the move Flamethrower, but they don't really have one particular move that's meant to be associated with them.

Short version: I consider it to be Flamethrower, but the species doesn't really have one.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom