• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Charizard's signature move

What do you think is Charizard's signature move?

• Total voters
Charizard almost does. Blast Burn is exclusive to all fire starters' final evolutions (and Smeargle, assuming he survives it, but he can learn anything). That's 6/649 Pokémon, so it more or less counts to me.

So I guess the consensus is that charizard dosent have a signature move, not even in the anime. If Charizard was to have one, what should it be?

PS - sorry if I'm going off topic

If were talking about the anime i'd say maybe Seismic Toss. Its a shame we never saw more of Dragon Rage.

Flamethrower, due to the anime.

Since the anime is mostly Flamethrower spam, mainly in Season 1, it's most associated with that outside the fandom.

Chimchar. Chimchar can have Blaze Kick by breeding. And Hitmonlee learns it by level up. Yes, only Tepig's line can learn Heat Crash, but they've only existed for one generation. Back in Gen III, Leaf Blade was Sceptile's signature move. Now, we have Serperior.

Only Blaziken and Hitmonlee can use Blaze Kick, and there's a lot of Pokémon that can use Leaf Blade other than Sceptile and Serperior.

So I guess the consensus is that charizard dosent have a signature move, not even in the anime. If Charizard was to have one, what should it be?

I guess Seismic Toss, because of Ash's Charizard, since most of his victory ended with that move.

According to Signature move - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia , "Signature moves are moves that can only be learned by a single Pokémon or its evolutionary relatives by level-up, (unless the move cannot be learned by any Pokémon via level-up, in which case other methods are considered) usually in the same evolutionary line."
Your logic with Smash Bros. Fails. The SSB series trophies have lots of mistakes in them, they shouldn't be taken over in game info or, say, a page on Bulbapedia.
Also, this is a really random thread. Why Charizard? Why not Blastoise or Venusaur? Heck, why not Lickitung, Ninjask or Starly? Not all Pokemon have a signature move. Actually, very few do.

Blastoise is the closest of the Kanto starters to a Poke with a signature move; back in FR/LG, it was the only thing to learn Hydro Cannon, and it was obviously made with Blastoise in mind. Why else would it be named "Hydro Cannon"? Still, as of Emerald, none of the starters have a signature move.

Blastoise is the closest of the Kanto starters to a Poke with a signature move; back in FR/LG, it was the only thing to learn Hydro Cannon, and it was obviously made with Blastoise in mind. Why else would it be named "Hydro Cannon"? Still, as of Emerald, none of the starters have a signature move.

You can consider Frenzy Plant and Blast Burn as Venusaur's and Charizard's former signature move, too.

Blast Burn and Frenzy Plant are less specialized (or should I say "contextually signature") than Hydro Cannon; that's why I gave Blastoise a special mention. There's no denying that Charizard and Venusaur did have signature moves in the FR/LG days like Blastoise.

Well, I have always considered their signature moves to be Hydro Pump and Solarbeam, respectively.
DawnFacepalm2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Charizard doesn't have an actual signature move of course, but there are a few that come to mind anyway, all from different parts of my experience. Seismic Toss from the anime, of course... who doesn't remember Ash's Charizard carrying Blaine's Magmar above the freaking atmosphere? Blast Burn is from the games, and while not exclusive to Charizard, is only learned by the Fire-type starters (and Smeargle), and that's probably the closest Charizard will ever get to a real signature move. Then, from my experience in competitive battling, there's Belly Drum. It's not the only Belly Drum sweeper by a long shot, but Bellyzard is one of the most well-known.

I agree that individual Pokemon, not the species, could have signature moves. Charizard's is likely Seismic Toss (which had been used as part of an improvised move), Blaine's Magmar is Fire Blast

Personally, I dont see the association as strange. Growing up with the anime as a kid leads to similar things sticking together in your mind.
Doesn't mean they are actually associated. The closest association Ash's Charizard has to Fire Blast is probably getting its ass handed to it by Magmar with that move.

Charizard has no signature move, considering the definition of "signature move" means the move is exclusive to it and/or its evolutionary line. If they were to give him (another- back in FRLG, Blast Burn was his sig move) one, in a few generations it will be given to some newer Pogeymanz (see Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Beedrill, Raticate, Rhyperior, Zangoose, etc. etc.).

None of the starters really have signature moves, with the possible exception of Blaziken.

Tepig has one (Heat Stamp)...

I think Heat Wave is sort of "pseudo-signature" move for Charizard. Because while it's not a true signature move, still very few Pokémon learn it naturally*. Same thing for Eruption and Cyndaquil line, or Blaziken's Blaze Kick.

* By naturally, I mean no tutor, no TM, no breeding

I agree that Charizard has no signature move, and there is no reason for it to get a signature move aside from fans wanting it to get a signature move.

Charizard does have a signature move, it's called "Hopelessly Collide into Rocks". It's like belly drum, only it does nothing.

Charizard does not have a signature move. Many Pokemon can learn the moves you mentioned, with the exception of Blast Burn.

Doesn't mean they are actually associated. The closest association Ash's Charizard has to Fire Blast is probably getting its ass handed to it by Magmar with that move.

But then again, who has the power to say whether or not two things are "actually associated" or not? How I think and connect concepts together can & should be different from how you think & connect concepts.

Furthermore, a Pokemon doesn't have to be the user of a move to be associated with it. So even though Fire Blast was used against Charizard, I still associated that move with Charizard. My mind just put them together subconsciously.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom