• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Charred: A Neo-Noir Short Story (Part 2 is up)

Roulette

The People's Champion
Reaction score
Charred-
A Short Story- pt. 1​
This is a neo-noir short story set in the pokemon universe. I already wrote this once…but I lost it, so this is a rewrite. I must say, it isn’t nearly as good as the original. EDIT: I cannot stress that enough, the original was much better now that I've written the entire thing.

Setup: Since this is just a short story, I won’t do a prologue since it would be about half the length of the whole thing. This is the story of former Officer Bryce Barrett and a twisted killer named Blake West. Blake “The Pyro” West was one of the most infamous killers in Kanto history. They brought Barrett in and he was the only one who was able to take him down. Blake West specialized in using strong pokemon to kill his victims, often times burning them beyond recognition.

West was imprisoned, and shortly after, Officer Barrett was stripped of all honors and given dishonorable discharge for unethical treatment of a convict. The man had murdered a family, and Barrett had taken things into his own hands, breaking the man’s legs so that now he is permanently crippled. Bryce now lives alone in his home, and is an alcoholic, a shadow of his former self.

Three years after West was put in jail, he was broken out by some of his friends. This is the story of how Bryce must take the man who he devoted his life to catching, down again.

Part 1/3: A Bit of Bad News

12:16 PM, Officer Bryce Barrett’s home on Route 7…

Barrett woke up around noon as usual, he didn’t care when he got up since punctuality wasn’t important anymore. An old record droned on in the other room. He arose from his bed, his joints crackling, but the alcohol numbed any pain that might have been there. Officer Barrett had the same routine every day. He got up, let his one remaining pokemon outside, and grabbed a drink. That shit was all that kept him going anymore. He walked over to his dresser and grabbed his lone pokeball. When he started drinking, he stopped caring for his pokemon, so they all eventually left him. The only one he has left is his trusty Kingdra.

Besides Kingdra, Barrett lived alone. “Live” is such a glorified term for it though. He is alive, but isn’t living, merely existing. Hell, the only person that even knows he’s still around is the man who owns the liquor store, and even he only saw him once or twice a month.

He opened his back door and walked into his yard. He released his Kingdra from her pokeball into the small, very murky pond that was in his yard. The Kingdra was beautiful, so graceful under water. She had a scar that ran from her left eye down to her snout, a permanent reminder of the final battle he had had with West.

He returned to his house and opened the fridge. He grabbed the first bottle his hand met and took it to the couch. As he opened it, he turned the TV on to watch the news. He sat there and listened, not paying attention, as the weather went by, then a few commercials, but the top stories were what caught his attention.

“We urge everyone on Kanto’s southern coast to remain indoors at this time. The prisoner has been gone for an estimated two and a half hours, giving him plenty of time to reach the mainland. West is considered extremely dangerous; do not attempt to apprehend him.”

“What the fuck?” Bryce thought he had heard wrong.

“A reminder to viewers just tuning in; Fugitive Blake West has broken out of his prison cell in the sea south of Kanto and remains at large, presumably heading toward the mainland. A nationwide curfew has been put into effect; all citizens are to be inside at 8:00 PM.”

Barrett stopped listening at this. “No…Fuck no. No way in hell that psycho bastard is out.” He decided he was drunk, but then turned to see the television showing pictures of the prison. The side was riddled with dings and holes, and a major hole, probably caused by an explosion of some kind, was near the base of the castle-like structure.

Barrett sat back down, not knowing how to react to this. “The man I made my life’s work to catch, the bane of my existence, is out? I spent 4 goddamn years of my life trying to catch his sick ass, and now he’s out again? “Barrett sat with his head in his hands, horrified by what he just found out.

“The Authorities are doing all that they can-“the anchor said.
At this, Bryce laughed. The ‘authorities’ couldn’t do a damn thing about West. He was a madman yes, but still a genius nonetheless. Barrett was the best and he had evaded him for four years. These modern, soft cops don’t know how to deal with peoplemonsters like West. They don’t understand how they operate.

Bryce knew that he was the only one who could do anything about West. What could he do though? He was old now, not to mention all the years the alcohol had added. West was still a young man. The Elite 4 and the Champion couldn’t be expected to do anything, they were too busy sitting on their spotless thrones, fighting trainers all day, squandering their talent on something so trivial.

Bryce, still upset and not knowing what to do, walked back outside and returned Kingdra to her ball. He looked at the empty whiskey bottle in his hand for a second, and then threw it at a nearby tree, shattering it into thousands of tiny shards.

“Fuck it. How did they repay me when I saved their sorry asses the first time? They stripped me of my honors and shut me away in a hole. Whatever, they can manage on their own this time.” He angrily walked back toward his house, looking around now for something else to drink. “Let the fucking world burn.”

Part 2/3 coming soon!​

Last edited:
Re: Charred- Pt. 1/3 A Bit of Bad News (Rated R for Language)

Why rate it R simply because you swear a little? Is there a point to the swearing other than to rate this fic an R? Usually, swearing would lead to around an NC16 rating (least, that's how Modern Warfare 2 is rated in my country - and that has goddamn blood for crying out loud) rather than R. R is more for when Peach asks Mario over to have cake.

Going with the crappy US ratings; more than one F bomb and it gets slapped with an R rating.

*Bump* I posted this at an awful time when nearly nobody was on, hopefully people will see it now. If you read it, be sure to give some feedback :) *Bump*

good job

This is kind of an intro, so in the next part there's action and whatnot to make it more lively.

Charred Pt. 2- Burned to the Ground (Language and Violence)

Here's part 2, hopefully people will start reading and reviewing and what not :thumbup: Anyhow, here it is, I hope you guys enjoy it and thanks for reading!

Part 2/3:
Burned to the Ground

9:42 AM, Officer Bryce Barrett’s home on Route 7…

He awoke a little earlier this morning so he could catch the news. It actually mattered to him now. He grabbed a couple of beers from the fridge, and let Kingdra outside to her pond. He turned on the television, and watched the top stories.

“Still no word on escaped convict Blake West. As many know, he was behind a string of murders that lasted 5 years, killing hundreds. Now he is escaped and presumably residing in Kanto again, though no sightings have been confirmed yet. We still urge those on the southern coast to remain inside and keep their doors locked, though by now he could be anywhere on the mainland. We will bring you more updates as we get them.” The anchor said.

“No murders yet? I can’t believe it.” Thought Barrett, “I can’t believe he can restrain himself from murdering someone. I’m sure they’ll start turning up soon though. Fuchsia City better watch out.”

He finished a beer, and began to get a buzz. He was perpetually drunk nowadays. He thought he heard the wind outside, but it was really strong compared to the light breezes he generally got around his house. He looked out back and didn’t see any wind, and the noise had stopped. He assumed it was just a small gust and sat back down on the couch.

Just then, the entire front of his house was ripped from the foundation, he fell backwards while things crashed and exploded around him. He had no clue what was happening, he wanted to look up, but he couldn’t because of the destruction happening around him. What was this? A tornado? That’s what it was, a tornado. This would be over shortly, and he could get back up.

The noise stopped and he got up, but was then motionless with fear. A giant Salamence was standing in front of his home. The entire front wall was gone now, instead there was a giant dragon standing there, roaring. A young man walked out from behind the giant dragon, and made his way into the wrecked home.

“Bryce Barrett. It’s been far too long old friend.” The figure of Blake West stood in front of Barret, staring him down. He slammed his fist into Bryce’s face with great force, knocking him back to the ground.

“What the fuck are you doing here, West? How did you even find me?” Barrett struggled to get back up, wiping the blood from his lip.

West ignored him. “Looks like the people were appreciative of you catching me.” Said West, looking around at the small house, and the few things inside it. He walked over to the fridge and opened it, seeing nothing but booze. “You’re an alcoholic too? Oh this is fantastic.” West laughed. He grabbed a bottle and emptied it, sticking a rag into it. He walked back to Bryce and kneed him hard in the stomach. Bryce, who was still a bit drunk, couldn’t get back up. West placed some shards of wood from his collapsed wall around, and on top of Barrett.

He then walked over to his Salamence and held the bottle with the rag in it in front of him. The dragon blew a small jet of fire onto the rag, igniting it.”So long ‘Officer’ Barrett!” he shouted, throwing the Molotov Cocktail at the wall behind Barrett, starting a large fire. He got onto his Salamence, and flew away, leaving the man to burn alive in his home.

About 5 minutes later, the smell of smoke, and the heat of the flames woke Bryce up. He tried his hardest to get up, but couldn’t due to the flaming pile of wood that was on top of him. The flames were getting closer and closer by the minute. He began to feel the heat off of the pile of wood getting closer to his body, now actually causing him pain. He knew that it was over for him, he was ready to accept death. What did he care anyway? He wasn’t planning on helping these people. So what if they died?

As he thought his final thoughts, his Kingdra burst through the flames and extinguished the burning wood on top of Bryce. She put out most of the flames and cleared a path, pushing Bryce out of his nearly leveled home.

As she rolled him onto the grass outside, the final wall of the house collapsed and fell to the ground, leaving nothing but ash and smoke.

Bryce rolled over, coughing heavily. He looked at his Kingdra, thanking her immensely. He got up and looked at his left arm, which was covered in burns. He decided he would make his way to Celadon’s hospital.

He returned Kingdra to her ball, and walked to Celadon. When he got to the emergency room, he noticed a group of people with burns on them as well. Clearly, West had started attacking victims. He also saw people carrying multiple stretchers with bodies on them, covered in white sheets.

He walked over to the receptionist, “Hi ma’am, could you possibly fit me in? I have a few bur-“

“Sir, I would love to help you, but do you see everyone else? We have our work cut out for us right now, you’re going to have to wait for the victims who have more serious injuries to be taken care of.”

“Look, if you could hook me up with some gauze or something I would be-“

“Hey, you’re Bryce Barrett right?” she asked.

“Uh, yes that would be me, now can I get some gauze and painkillers?”

“You put West away the first time didn’t you? I can’t believe he didn’t kill you, are you going to take him down again?” she asked, handing him some bandages now.

Yesterday, the answer would’ve been “Hell no”, but he didn’t know what he would do now. This fucker had taken everything from him now. He had to take him down; he was the only one who could. He hadn’t died like he so desperately wished, so the only thing he could do was kill the fucker.

“Depends if I get asked, I guess.” He lied.

He now looked at the television, the news was on here showing smoking piles of ash that used to be homes, and the bodies of the families that once lived in them. The murders were starting, but this time he wasn't being careful. He was just killing everything.

“I think you should, but I thought you disappeared or something?” she questioned, annoying Barret.

“Nope. I just stayed under the radar for awhile. Thank you, I’ll be going now.” He said, he had had enough of this conversation with the ditsy receptionist.

“Good luck!” she yelled, not phased at all by his lie, she had called his bluff.

He had no clue where to go from here. No idea. He couldn’t really go home, it was gone. He decided to spend the night at the Celadon Inn. He would tend to his wounds and rest there for the night, but tomorrow he would attempt to catch West. He didn’t care if he died or not, he had absolutely nothing to lose now. He would march into the hornet’s nest wearing red, and whatever happened would happen.

Part 3/3 Coming Next! (possibly part 3/4 depending on how long it goes)

Thanks a lot! Part 2 is definately better than part 1, though the original part 1 was pretty good. Anyway, thanks for the feed back :D

Perhaps "neo-noir" isnt the best description, more like just a crime short story.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom