• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Chasing May (AdvanceShipping, Teen)

C
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

After the Wallace Cup, Ash isn't his usual optimistic self. A certain brunette is now missing from his life. Can Dawn and Zoey bring Ash back? And what of the missing brunette? How can May handle the rest of her Johto Contests without Ash?
Teen

VoltTackle

Reaction score
So this is a story that I came up with after rewatching the Wallace Cup arc in Diamond and Pearl. It got me thinking 'What if a ContestShipper wasn't on the writing staff?' or 'What if Ash wasn't so dense?' This idea is what came of it. This is also posted on FanFiction.net, where chapter 2 is in the works. Word of warning: There may be some 'Zoey 101' references as I was a huge fan of the show in my middle school years. Without further delay, let's begin. Here is chapter 1.

Some chapters may contain light profanity.

It's sunset on Lake Valor. The Wallace Cup had finished with Dawn claiming the prized Aqua Ribbon, her second Sinnoh Contest Ribbon, by narrowly defeating veteran Coordinator May Maple. As the Wallace Cup festivities were finishing up, Ash and friends were saying their goodbyes to May. Dawn and Zoey were first.

"You know, I had actually forgotten what it feels like - actually being in a Contest Final and truly being one with my Pokemon..." Dawn said to her new friend.

"Well you better hold on to it because next time we meet, I'm winning for sure!" May replied to Dawn, who had become a sister to her.

"Hey! Stealing my line there!" Zoey called out to May.

"Zoey, good luck with the rest of your Contests!"

"Thanks! You too, May!"

"Oh, and Dawn...make sure to call me when you get that 5th ribbon! I want to be there when you're competing at the Grand Festival!"

"Same here, May!"

After May and Brock said their goodbyes, May turned to Ash next with a gleam in her eye.

"May, good luck with the rest of your Johto Contests!" Ash said, Pikachu on his shoulder.

"Thanks! Good luck to you on getting into the Sinnoh League!" she replied, holding her half of the Terracotta Ribbon at her chest. "And make sure you call me after you get your 8th Sinnoh Badge! Much like I want to be there when Dawn's at the Grand Festival, I also want to be there for you at the Sinnoh League!"

Dawn giggled "I'll make sure Ash remembers...Arceus knows he'll forget..."

"Hey! I'm right here, Dawn!"

May and Ash hugged, both thinking 'Just say it already...you've held your feelings for each other for years...just come out with it already!'

Ash started crying in May's arms "I wish you could stay...but I know you gotta return to Johto...finish what you started and make the Grand Festival. Just promise me you'll let me know when you get your 5th Johto ribbon so I can head over and watch you in the Johto Grand Festival..." Ash sobbed.

"Ash...Ashy..." May started, wiping Ash's eyes. "...dry those tears. I promise I'll let you know when I've got my 5th ribbon. Most of all, I want you at the Johto Grand Festival..." May whispered in Ash's ear, holding him close. They broke apart when the horn for May's boat to Johto sounded.

"I guess that's your boat..."

"Afraid so, Ash. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but I still have work to do in Johto. But as soon as the Johto Contest season wraps up, I'll be back...Ashton Taylor Ketchum..." she reassured, whispering the last part and hugging Ash again, knowing they wouldn't be able to see each other face to face for at least a few months.

May said one last goodbye to Brock, Zoey, Dawn, Pikachu and Ash before climbing aboard. After putting her things in her room, she ran to the top deck to wave goodbye to her friends. As Valor Lakefront slowly disappeared from sight, May placed her hand over her chest thinking 'Why couldn't I just tell Ash I love him?'

Meanwhile, back at Valor Lakefront, Ash turned his back to his friends, ran over to a nearby bench, sat down and sank his head between his legs. "What is wrong with me? Why couldn't I tell May I love her?"

The first to approach Ash was Zoey, who placed a hand on Ash's shoulder. "What's the trouble, Ash? You seem out of it..."

Zoey's appearance threw Ash for a loop. "Oh, Zoey...didn't see you there," the raven-haired trainer said. "But there was something I wanted to do while May was here. I'm not sure you know...not sure if Dawn has told you, when May came back for the Wallace Cup, I suddenly felt all tingly inside and I felt motivated to impress her in the Wallace Cup..."

Hearing this brought a smile to Zoey's face. "You're crushing on her, aren't you?" the redhead asked. "By the way...Dawn has told me about your connection with May. It was kinda obvious when I saw you looking at how she was dressed."

Ash sighed. He knew he was caught. "I wanted to tell her that I love her, but now...I feel like I just blew my best chance at her..."

Little did Ash know, Dawn was right there. "I knew it the whole time...looks like Mr. Oblivious to Love isn't so oblivious any more..."

"How long have you been standing there, Dawn?"

"Whole time..." Dawn said with a wink. "But my suspicions were right. You do have a crush on May! May told me about how you and her had a special connection while you were traveling together. She even told me that she was crushing on you that whole time and wanted to tell you her true feelings. I guess now you've figured it out..."

"Yeah...now that she's going back to Johto and I won't be seeing her for a while, I've finally figured it out..." Ash lamented. "What am I going to do?"

"You miss her already, huh?" Dawn asked.

"I don't just miss May...I'm in love with her..."

Dawn sat down next to Zoey and the two of them said "Talk about a regular Chase Matthews..."

Back on the boat to Johto, May was alone in her room, looking at her half of the Terracotta Ribbon that she and Ash had won almost a year ago. She would turn 13 at the Grand Festival that fall, while Ash was about to turn 14. On her bed in her room, May was watching one of her favorite shows - 'Zoey 101'. The episode in question was 'Goodbye Zoey?'

Glaceon had let herself out of her Pokeball and snuggled up to May. As May stroked Glaceon's sky blue fur, she took note of one of the characters' striking similarity to her closest friend and crush.

"You know, Glaceon...Chase Matthews looks so much like Ash..."

"Glaceon! Glace-Glace!" (Translation: Too bad he doesn't have a cute Pikachu!)

It was then that one scene caught her attention...

'I don't just miss her...I'm in love with her. I've been in love with Zoey ever since I met her...when I rode my bike into that stupid flagpole...I was in love with Zoey before I hit the ground and I don't think that feeling's ever gonna go away'

That's when it hit May. Was she really Ash's Zoey Brooks? She buried her head into her pillow and stared sobbing.

"Why couldn't I tell him? How could I have been such an idiot? Glaceon, I don't just miss Ash...I'm in love with him..."

Back along Valor Lakefront, Zoey and Dawn wanted to help their friend however they could.

"Ash is not himself, Zoey..."

"I know. This is worse than we could've imagined," Zoey responded to the blunette. "I just wish we knew what to do..."

Dawn quickly hatched a plan. "Zoey, I've got an idea. But I'm gonna need your help here..."

Last edited:
Teen
Time for chapter 2 of 'Chasing May'! We're gonna find out what Dawn's plan is, then possibly a timeskip to May's next Contest or a little after it, so let's roll it!

May had just left on her way back to Johto. Her next contest is actually along the Whirl Islands in Inland City on Blue Point Isle. With 3 ribbons under her belt already from Cherrygrove City, Azalea Town and Violet City, she stands just 2 away from the Johto Grand Festival...and seeing Ash again. But she would never admit to having a crush on the raven-haired trainer from Pallet Town, yet almost did before getting on the boat to Johto.

Speaking of Ash, he was still sprawled out on a bench near Seven Stars Restaurant, looking up at the sky and thinking about what might've been had he just told May he loved her. Meanwhile, a few feet away, Dawn and Zoey have hatched a plan to get Ash and May together.

"Zoey, I've got an idea. But I'm gonna need your help for this one..."

"Whatever it is, Dawn, I'm in! Even I know love when I see it and Ash here is in love without a doubt."

Dawn smiled and placed a hand on Zoey's right shoulder. "So here's the plan. First step is to build Ash's confidence through the rest of his Sinnoh Gym Battles..."

"Shouldn't be too hard. Ash is always brimming with confidence when he battles. But I don't see how that'll help him with May."

"Simple, Zoey. If Ash has the same confidence with May that he does in his battles, it'll be much easier for him to ask her out," Dawn explained.

Zoey gave a nod. "Okay, what's next?"

"Next up...we both gotta get our 5 ribbons. Where's the next contest?"

Zoey quickly checked her Poketch for the next contests on the schedule "Next one is in Celestic Town, then there's one in Majolica Town, Gerbera Town, Emeragrove Town, Beach Rose Town, Chocovine Town, Snowpoint City, Sandalstraw Town, Lilypad Town, Brussel Town, Daybreak Town, Neighborly Town and Arrowroot Town with our Grand Festival back here along Valor Lakefront. There are other contests on the schedule, but the locations are not known yet. As for May's Johto Ribbons - I would know them anywhere: Those were Cherrygrove City, Violet City and Azalea Town. Next contest on the Johto docket is Inland City on Blue Point Isle on the Whirl Islands. Then Ogi City on Yellow Rock Isle, Transit Town on Red Rock Isle, Kasado City on Silver Rock Isle followed by Bonitaville, Maroon Town, Marion Town, Olivine City, Mahogany Town, Blackthorn City, Rikishii Town, Whitestone and Altomare with the Grand Festival taking place along Lake of Rage. Just like Sinnoh, there's other contests on the schedule for Johto, but locations unknown right now."

"You think we can get our 5th ribbons before May can?" Dawn asked her Coordinator rival.

"Let's see...I won in Sandgem Town, Jubilife City, Oreburgh City and Eterna City, so I need 1 more ribbon. You need 3 more and you're favored now in Celestic, Majolica and Chocovine."

"Ash is going for his 4th Sinnoh Badge soon. The way he is right now, he's gonna need all the support he can get to pull him out of this abyss he's put himself in."

Zoey smiled, knowing what Dawn was hinting at. "Sounds like you could use reinforcements. Well, you can count me in!"

Now with Zoey in the group, the plan can be put into motion. "Awesome! As soon as we both have our 5 ribbons, we'll get in touch with May!"

Speaking of May...2 days after the Wallace Cup, she was in Inland City on Blue Point Isle for her next Pokemon Contest. She was in a room in the Inland City Pokemon Center, face down on her bed with 'Zoey 101' playing in the background. The door to her room was locked and she wasn't allowing anyone in - not even Solidad, someone who she considered a big sister to her during her Johto travels.

"Man, why am I such an idiot? I had the perfect chance to tell Ash I loved him and I blew it!" May said to herself as Blaziken let herself out of her Pokeball.

"Blaziken, Blaze?" (What's wrong, May?)

"You ever loved someone so much that you feel empty inside when they're not with you?" May asked her trusty Fire Pokemon.

"Blaziken, Blaze Blaze. Blaziken Bla-Blaziken Blaze" (No, can't say I have. I know Glaceon's been that way about Ash's Pikachu, however.)

"What is this I'm feeling? I think about Ash and all of a sudden, I get all flustered..."

"Blaze, Blaziken Blaze Blaze" (May...you're in love with Ash.)

"Okay...you're the 2nd of my Pokemon to tell me I'm in love with Ash," May said, her mascara now running as she got up from her bed. "First Glaceon, now you. What's next? Drew, Harley and Solidad all say the same thing?" she asked as she unlocked the door, only to be greeted by her rivals.

"Oh sweet May! I heard the news! Are you and Ketchum finally together?" Harley asked.

"I always knew you two would end up together!" Drew added in.

"How'd it happen?" Solidad questioned.

"CAN IT, YOU THREE!" May barked. "It hasn't happened yet. I had the perfect chance to tell him I loved him just before I left Sinnoh and I blew it. I love him more than anything and I just want my Ash back..." she cried, falling into Solidad's arms.

"May...May...it's okay..." Solidad said calmly.

"No it's not! I fear I may have lost him forever!"

"May, listen...it's not forever. You know why?"

"Why's that?" May sobbed.

"Take a look around your neck..." the redhead said, referring to May's half of the Terracotta ribbon. "That half-ribbon you wear around your neck is a reminder that Ash is always with you no matter how far apart you are from each other. More than that - it's a promise..."

"A promise?" May asked.

Solidad nodded. "A promise, May. A promise that Ash will always come back for you no matter what. His love for you and your love for him is what keeps the both of you strong. Ash wouldn't bear to see you like this. You've already admitted that you love Ash...all that's left now is for Ash to admit he loves you. And I think I know how we can do just that..."

"Really?"

"Just leave it to me, May!"

"Why does she always go to her?" Harley asked.

"She thinks of Solidad as an older sister, much like Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus are to each other," Drew explained. "Not surprised May would go to Solidad for her girl issues. But trying to hook the densest man on the face of the Earth...easier said than done. Just wish we knew a way to break May out of this funk she's been in the past few days..."

"Seems to me the only way to get her back is to get her boytoy over here, but that's impossible now...Ketchum's over in Sinnoh and we all know he's not putting the brakes on his journey until he reaches the Sinnoh League."

"Good point. Plus, Ash and I don't see eye to eye..."

"What are you gonna do, Drew?"

"I'll let you know as soon as I think of something."

Now Solidad is plotting something for May? And what be the dealings of Drew and Harley? Find out next time! TRAIN ON, EVERYONE!

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom