• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Chikorita vs. Totodile vs. Cyndaquil

Chikorita has always been my favourite since I played GSC as a child, though I also liked Cyndaquil as well.

So for those of you who don't read he's soloing the game with one of the starters. That means telling him to form a team around one of the starters is useless.

For a solo Totodile is the best, it gets good coverage with its moves and has good attack and defense.

Besides, Charmander needs to be trained to a higher level than the other two at the start of his game but that doesn't stop people from using him. What's the difference?

One's a dragon. The other is not. That is the difference. And it is a big one.

Also, Charmander is fast and has a high special attack which bypasses the high physical defense of Brock's Pokemon. Chikorita is slow and doesn't have good attacking stats.

Last edited:
Totodile would be my main choice if I were to solo a game with one of the starters. It is just so much better than Cyndaquil and Chikorita in my opinion.

One's a dragon. The other is not. That is the difference. And it is a big one.

Except not really.

Also, Charmander is fast and has a high special attack which bypasses the high physical defense of Brock's Pokemon. Chikorita is slow and doesn't have good attacking stats.

You're soloing the game. Your level alone should give you all the speed and attack you need to take out Falkner. Chikorita's in the same boat as Charmander during the early stages of the game (down to the being weak to the first two gym leaders) and after that, it's stops being important becaue your level should be way too high by that point for stats and typing to be of much relevance at all.

Also, Envoy, you're a Chikorita fanboy, I know and I respect the dedication you have. But in this situation it would be easier to use a different starter, which you've said, so there's no reason to continue to argue. So please don't post an angry "Meganium is God" rant at me.

Edit: I know that by the third gym it'll be a high enough level that typing almost won't matter, but moves will still matter because Meganium doesn't have the power to smash though everything with it's STABs.

Also, Envoy, you're a Chikorita fanboy, I know and I respect the dedication you have. But in this situation it would be easier to use a different starter, which you've said, so there's no reason to continue to argue. So please don't post an angry "Meganium is God" rant at me.

I'm not and I won't. I'm just pointing out a few thins :p

And yes, the easiest Starter to choose is, in fact, Totodile due to Chiko's lack of Gym advantages and Cynda's lack of any (non STAB) good level up moves. That said, if you know what you're doing, any of the three is good enough to beat the game with, which is my point.

The only reason I don't defend Cynda or Toto with the same fervor is because they don't need it. Both of them have enough support and no one is claiming they are useless. Chikorita, on the other hand, gets comments like this:

First of all, stay away form Chikorita. You'll have a hard time with most the gym leaders if you solo it. Heck, I'm not sure you'll pass Pryce.

Which is why I defend her.

Oh, and I don't think Meganium is God. Not by far. I just get tired of people claiming she's useless, so I point out all of her positive qualities to prove the point erroneous. I can understand how I come off as a fanboy, but in reality, I'm quite aware of Meg's shortcommings too and I don't by any stretch of the immagination delude myself into thinking she should be OU or anything.

Oh, and I don't think Meganium is God. Not by far. I just get tired of people claiming she's useless, so I point out all of her positive qualities to prove the point erroneous. I can understand how I come off as a fanboy, but in reality, I'm quite aware of Meg's shortcommings too and I don't by any stretch of the immagination delude myself into thinking she should be OU or anything.

Tiers are based on usage. You know what we should do? Get everyone on Bulbagarden to make and use an OU team with Meganium on Shoddy. It would be hilarious.

Tiers are based on usage. You know what we should do? Get everyone on Bulbagarden to make and use an OU team with Meganium on Shoddy. It would be hilarious.

It would be epic. If they can get Magikarp to the low twenties in Ubers usage, we can get Meganium to OU. God, I'd love to see the look on peoples faces.

"Meganium? OU? WTF?!?!?!"

Totodile. Was my first Mon ever and has the coolest design out of the three. Will probably be the best choice to solo the game due to it using Ice moves and being a Water type. No (Johto) gym should give you any trouble.

Alright. Thanks all. Because of all the debate, I have finally decided. Since everyone says Chikorita is the hardest to solo with, I'm using it. I like a challenge. So if I do plan to solo the game with ALL the starters it would go in this order:

1. Chikorita, 2. Totodile, 3. Cyndaquil.

Thanks all!

May I ask why the poll is closed? And could a mod re-open it?

Anyway, I would pick chicorita.

Totodile is cute, but Croconaw and Feraligatr are hideous.
Chikorita is cute, but Meganium is ugly compared to Bayleaf.
Cyndaquil is cute, Quilava is awesome and Typhlosion is made of pure badassness, but I am not very fond of Fire-types.

Uh, I guess Cyndaquil is my choice here.

I voted for Cyndaquil. I really like the others but Cyndaquil is awesome and evolves into Typhlosion eventually, and Typhlosion is just awesome. Plus it's fast and learns Solarbeam for water types. Feraligatr is a close second though.

Chikorita for the same reasons that people chose Charmander in Kanto, plus it is adorable :)

(the reason being that it is a challenge that pays off!)

I'm not and I won't. I'm just pointing out a few thins :p

And yes, the easiest Starter to choose is, in fact, Totodile due to Chiko's lack of Gym advantages and Cynda's lack of any (non STAB) good level up moves. That said, if you know what you're doing, any of the three is good enough to beat the game with, which is my point.

The only reason I don't defend Cynda or Toto with the same fervor is because they don't need it. Both of them have enough support and no one is claiming they are useless. Chikorita, on the other hand, gets comments like this:

First of all, stay away form Chikorita. You'll have a hard time with most the gym leaders if you solo it. Heck, I'm not sure you'll pass Pryce.

Which is why I defend her.

I love you.

Just wanted to say.

I agree completely. Go for Chikorita!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom