• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Chikorita vs. Totodile vs. Cyndaquil

charizardman

Charizard Lover Extreme
Reaction score
This is no normal competition! This a competition that will impact my decision, on which starter I will chose to solo HG/SS. So, Chikorita, Totodile, or Cyndaquil? You decide!

Cyndaquil, because I almost always go with the fire-type starter. And because typhlosion is the best pure fire-type in my opinion.

This is no normal competition! This a competition that will impact my decision, on which starter I will chose to solo HG/SS. So, Chikorita, Totodile, or Cyndaquil? You decide!

my suggestion neither.

i ditch the starters at the first opportunity.

They all have their ups and downs, their 'class'. I'm assuming you're going to evolve them.

Meganium is a supporter, Feraligatr is a Physical Tank (ATK/DEF), and Typhlosion is a Special Sweeper.

If you're going to solo the game, Meganium, I think, is out of the picture because it's typing has many weaknesses and it's offensive stats aren't that great.

This leaves Typhlosion and Feraligatr. Now, I like both, but Feraligatr wins me over. Typhlosion is fast and hits hard with special attacks, but it's movepool doesn't help to cover all typings. Nearly all moves learned on level up are Fire and the only good special moves (of another typing besides Fire) learned via TM/HM are Focus Blast, SolarBeam, and HiddenPower (off the top of my head) and they have 70% ACC and 5PP, one turn charge-up, and IV-dependence respectively.

Feraligatr on the other hand, is Physical, giving it access to Crunch, AquaTail, IceFang and SuperPower on level-up + a whole lot of different typed attacks from TM/HM (Earthquake, Dragon/Shadow Claw, IcePunch etc). Finally, to sum it all up it can also learn SwordsDance. So Feraligatr, having 100 DEF can withstand a hit while setting up a SD and then basically sweep. It's typing is also weak to only two types: Grass and Electric which can be taken out with Ice Fang and Earthquake.

SHORT ANSWER/TL;DR = Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr owns.

In Silver I always choose Chikorita because she is sooo cute and evolves into Bayleaf (also cute) and then Meganium (which is cute too).

My preference is Chikorita, but Totodile would probably be the smartest choice. I went up against Falkner with my little unevolved Chikorita and he gave me hell.

So go with Totodile.

Totodile FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

It helps that it learns Ice moves,which work for Clair and Lance. :3

Despite what people say, Chikorita isn't all that bad. I had one in a previous save and really enjoyed training one. I would consider one if you have room for a mixed defender/supporter or just like it.

Despite my sentiments towards it, it isn't as good as the other two.

Totodile is great, probably the best of the starters. It was excellant typing and stats.

Cyndaquil is more useful, as it is one of the better Fire-types you'll find in SS/HG.

I'd pick either Totodile or Cyndaquil. Either one is great.

First of all, stay away form Chikorita. You'll have a hard time with most the gym leaders if you solo it. Heck, I'm not sure you'll pass Pryce.

That leaves Totodile and Cyndaquil. Cyndaquil can learn neat attacks, but its movepool won't help later in the game. Clair will be a pain greater than hell itself, since fire doesn't do much to dragon-type pokemon. Plus, all of her pokemon know Water-type moves. Lets think about Cyndaquil later. Lastly, you have Totodile. Awesome attack power, awesome movepool. Water+Ice-type moves will work well in the game. So, and all, I'll say Totodile would be the best way to go.

Ah the Johto starters, by far the worst batch of starters ever created. Well in my opinion anyway.

Anyway, picking Totodile because its the only starter of the bunch that can hold its own weight in the heat of battle.

if you really want to use a johto starter go with cyndaquil.

1. there are not many fire types available pre-e4 that is better
2. feraligator is outclass by gyrados in every way. It is pain but i would evolve a magicarp into a gyrados.

Totodile all the way. It can pretty much beat all the other Johto starters (Ice Fang, Waterfall) and it was my main pokemon before Swampert. A also like the act its based on a crocodile.

They all have their ups and downs, their 'class'. I'm assuming you're going to evolve them.

Meganium is a supporter, Feraligatr is a Physical Tank (ATK/DEF), and Typhlosion is a Special Sweeper.

If you're going to solo the game, Meganium, I think, is out of the picture because it's typing has many weaknesses and it's offensive stats aren't that great.

I've soloed the game with Meganium easy. The secret is that if you're soloing a game, the Pokemon your soloing it with will be at such a high level that it will just stomp through everything on it's path. Stats, movepool and typing become completely irrelevant because you're just too damn fast and hit too damn hard for anyone to come close to beating you (people have soloed the game with Magikarp, to give you an idea of what I mean)

Despite what people say, Chikorita isn't all that bad. I had one in a previous save and really enjoyed training one. I would consider one if you have room for a mixed defender/supporter or just like it.

Despite my sentiments towards it, it isn't as good as the other two.

It's not worse or better than the others. It's different. She takes a defensive approach, which means that she won't hit as hard but will take plenty more hits. The strategy's not as fast, but just as effective.

First of all, stay away form Chikorita. You'll have a hard time with most the gym leaders if you solo it. Heck, I'm not sure you'll pass Pryce.

Pryce's Pokemon are all composed of part Water types. Meganium hits them super effectively. Moreover, she's the only Starter that can hit Clair's best Pokemon (Kingdra) with her STAB and not get laughed at. She can also take out Gyarados the same way, unlike both Typhlosion and Feraligatr.

I do think that Feraligatr is still the best choice of the three, but it really only depends on who you like best. They can all solo the entire game with little trouble if you know how to use them so just choose which one you like best.

What I mean by this whole post is that you shouldn't let yourself be swayed by the Meganium haters. She's just as capable of handling the gyms as everyone else is.

Byt I reiterate, use whichever one you like best (even if it is the "girly" looking one) and you should be fine, especially if you want to solo the game.

I'm gonna go with Totodile.
It's my favorite Johto Pokémon. :D

What I mean by this whole post is that you shouldn't let yourself be swayed by the Meganium haters. She's just as capable of handling the gyms as everyone else is.

but you would have to train meganium to a higher lvl then the other two at the start.

but you would have to train meganium to a higher lvl then the other two at the start.

We're talking about soloing the game, aren't we? In that case, it really doesn't matter since all the experience from all the trainer battles will go to her. She'll be just as able to take out the first few opponents as Totodile and Cyndaquil with the same battle experience.

I've soloed the game with all three Starters (actually, I've soloed all the games with all their respective Starters) and not once have I had to go out of my way to train one of them over the others because they couldn't match up. If you can't do it, then it's more a testament to your skill as a trainer or your inexpertise on how to handle the Pokemon you're using than to the Pokemon itself.

And if you're not soloing the game, well that's what teammates are for.

Besides, Charmander needs to be trained to a higher level than the other two at the start of his game but that doesn't stop people from using him. What's the difference?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom