• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Childhood anime

Hamtaro was so dear to me back in my childhood!! I watched the anime lots and even had the games. Really miss when it was bigger and still actively ongoing.

My list isss...

Pokémon
Hamtaro
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Cardcaptor Sakura
Dragon Ball Z
Tenchi Muyo
Fullmetal Alchemist
A bit of Digimon
Sailor Moon
Megaman NT Warrior

Trying to think of more because I'm sure I had a lot, but these were the main ones. Getting hit right in the nostalgia feels typing them out ; ;

Nobody’s mentioned Toonami yet? (At least I haven’t seen it in anyone’s posts)

Back in the day that was the way to get my early 2000s anime fix in. Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, all the Tenchis, Outlaw Star, Rorouni Kenshin; granted, all very kid friendly versions of these but still. (I actually prefer it that way lol)

Last edited:
I think Jetix was my gateway into anime; I'm still unclear on whether that channel was also available in the U.S, but it was a similar type of deal to Toonami. Anyway, supposing I'm only meant to list anime that I watched before I was able to recognise them as being anime, then Pokémon (from the end arcs of Johto and onward), Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dinosaur King, Tokyo Mew Mew, Naruto, and Shugo Chara.

In terms of series I actively sought out once I was able to recognise them as their own genre and became interested in Japanese culture in general when I was a weeb, essentially, I began watching and enjoying shows such as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Toradora!, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Eureka Seven, Black Cat, and Lucky Star. Everything after that I took an interest in when I was a teenager, so I won't count those here.

I think Jetix was my gateway into anime; I'm still unclear on whether that channel was also available in the U.S, but it was a similar type of deal to Toonami. Anyway, supposing I'm only meant to list anime that I watched before I was able to recognise them as being anime, then Pokémon (from the end arcs of Johto and onward), Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dinosaur King, Tokyo Mew Mew, Naruto, and Shugo Chara.

In terms of series I actively sought out once I was able to recognise them as their own genre and became interested in Japanese culture in general when I was a weeb, essentially, I began watching and enjoying shows such as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Toradora!, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Eureka Seven, Black Cat, and Lucky Star. Everything after that I took an interest in when I was a teenager, so I won't count those here.
IIRC, Jetix was the name of a programming block on Fox or CW in the states, rather than its own channel. I know it replaced either Fox Kids or Kids' WB, and this all happened "after my time" lol.

Surprisingly, I never really got into the Pokemon anime. It wasn't for lack of trying, it's just I would always sleep in on Saturdays and miss it :p

Pokemon-watched it since the 90s
Digimon-Though am not a big fan of Digimon X to be honest. Doesn't appeal to me.
Sailor Moon-the original from the 90s...watching that on Hulu at the moment.

That was before finding out that was anime...thought they were just cartoons.

If you want when I started watching anime and actually realized it was anime...

Wolf's Rain (love wolves, kinda wish they had all achieved paradise)
Death Note (wish it were longer)
Black Blood Brothers (same with wishing it were longer and we got to see more of the kid as he got Alice's abilities since he's the reincarnation of her)

All pirated onto a dvd from a friend of my husband's that I enjoyed when they were international students. Gave me something to watch while my husband was in school for his bachelor's. Afterwards, fell in love with anime.

Mine started at just age 3 and it featured some of the best legendary Anime

Astro boy(the 1980's colour edition)
Battle of The Planets/G Force
Kimba The White Lion
Nadia The Secret of Blue Water
Robotech
Sailor Moon
Samurai Pizza Cats
Speedracer
Star Blazers
Teknoman
The Galaxy Railways
Ulysses 31
Voltron

Last edited:
Pokemon, Digimon, and I think a little Yu-Gi-Oh are the ones I definitively remember. I think I saw some others when I was a little older, middle school maybe, through Miguzi (anybody remember that?) and/or Toonami. But Pokemon and Digimon definitely had the most profound influence on me.

Hamtaro
Pokémon
Sailor Moon
Digimon
Inuyasha
Speed Racer
.hack//Sign

are the ones that come to mind, I didn't really fully start getting into anime until my teens

B-Badaman
Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z (didn't watch most of GT until middle school, which I assume is closer to adolescence than childhood)
Gaigaogar
Digimon Adventure 1 and 02
Inuyasha
Tekkaman Blade (watched some, but didn't watch it from start to finish until adulthood)
Hamtaro
Cowboy Bebop
Sailor Moon
The Big O (watchd this and CB on Adult Swim)
./hack//Sign (found this too boring to watch in full but watched some)
Ultimate Muscle
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

And like two episodes of One Piece (dubbed)

Pokémon, of course. That was what introduced me to anime in the first place. I then began watching Squid Girl, which I think was the first anime I intentionally searched up and I got interested in.

Here's just a few of them I can clearly remember.

• Inuyasha
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)
  • Pokemon
  • Hamtaro
  • Beyblade
  • Bakugan
  • Gun x Sword
  • A Snow Fairy Named Sugar
  • Kirby: Right Back At Ya

Dragon Ball Z is the first anime I ever watched as a kid and to this day still my favorite,I used to have the action figures,Budokai 1 for the Nintendo Gamecube is the first Dragon Ball game I ever played and I just continued playing most of the games that were released after that.I've watched all of DB/DBZ/DBGT/KAI/DBS.I was also on the Naruto train when it first hit North America back in 2005.
Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Zatch Bell
One Piece
Samurai Champloo
Code Lyoko

• Pokemon (4Kids dub, 1998): Very first Anime, I think I even caught the Sneak Peak of the SS Anne episode before EP001 debuted: not kidding, on UPN, watched it religiously until it ended its run on Kids WB in 2006. Then, caught Battle Frontier on CN in 2007, was a bit disheartened by the VA changes at the time and especially Cathcart's writing style (yes, I actually detested it even more believe it or not, every "ya know," "'kay," "I got me the x badge/symbol," or "ya see" made me wince and so did the occasional "Gingerly rubbing that gentle geodude" style dialogue respectively but it wasn't nearly as bad as it'd get in DP w/the latter from TRio) but made it a point to finish off AG regardless and slog through it. Rage-quit by the DP Preview later on: didn't tune back in until late into Galactic Battles but caught clips here and there. Tuned out again from there during the fillers in Adventures in Unova, then finally quit the English Version more or less for good outside counting the amount of OST pieces kept in one sitting later on, after the XY dub preview eps got rescored. Needless to say, yeah, I've had a long rollercoaster experience with it like many.

• Dragonball Z (FUNi dub, 1999): Second Anime, believe it or not, yes I grew up with the butchered FUNimation original run that debuted in 1999. My first episode was "The Renewed Goku" though, the episode when Vegeta was getting pummelled by Frieza. Didn't realize how bad the DBZ dub was until I heard the Shunsuke Kikuchi OST score for the first time around 2008 on the Orange Brick releases, and thought, "This music is beautiful, where has this been all my...why the heck did they replace it in the first place?" And then went..."Oh....," even as a kid I didn't like the Faulconer stuff and was watching more for the fights & story tbh. Then I caught DBZ Kai (2010) and with the exception of Clinkenbeard's Kid Goku (still don't like it, Nadolny IMO fit Goku a lot more than she ever did Gohan, oddly my preference is exchanged between the two-- Henderson was pretty good as both, though, not my fav but...). Then caught the Ocean dub from before my time, was especially impressed with Kelamis' scream in M02 being so close to Nozawa's, etc. And full circle back to Kai now, pretty devoted fan of this franchise.

• Yu-Gi-Oh! (4Kids dub, 2001): Third Anime, had no idea how much worse 4Kids handled this than Pokemon at the time-- but it came up right after it on Kids WB in the US so thought, hey cool show with these cards may as well watch. I actually like the VAs 4Kids chose for this show, not the Heart of the Cards BS spiel and Shadow Realm etc. though, and Season 1's scripting was a lot better than the rest of it (save Season 5) too looking back at it. Unforgivable the dub didn't keep any OST, though, why-- they could do it for Pokemon, royalties, loved Passionate Duelist seeing it later & the whole JPN Version is just so much better (did actually like Dan Green as Yugi, Yami in S1, and Eric Stuart's Kaiba in the first 2 seasons before the shouting/yelling began-- both did a lot better in the Dark Side of Dimensions 2017 Movie dub than later seasons, but the music replacement still ugh).

• Digimon Adventure/02 (Saban dub, 1999-2002): Joshua Seth as Tai, etc. etc, everyone knows about this one.

• Dragonball (2001): Fifth Anime, ending my childhood with it, even as a kid I was like, "This music is so much better than Dragonball Z's, I like this so much more than that stuff-- keep in mind Faulconer's stuff was what I was exposed to at the time, unfortunately-- and this acting is so much better, too," finished all the way up to the last ep (153 IIRC?).

-- End Childhood Anime --

The first Anime I watched after hitting my pre-teen years was Yu-Yu Hakusho (2003) and then One Piece (FUNi dub, 2007). Then I had my foray into FMA (2003), Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, etc. etc. from there afterward.

The funny thing is I always hated the brief clips I saw of One Piece in 2004, despised it, then I realized oh...it was the dub. The reverse was true for Pokemon at the same time for me in 2007, loved the older episodes and tuned it out for a few years after the DP001-DP003 dub preview, was beyond shell shocked at the voice acting quality & DP Rap OP at the time. Needless to say, floored, absolutely floored the same company that lost the rights to both at the time did such a (IMO) genuinely decent to good job with Pokemon but such a sh*t job with One Piece.

Last edited:
  • Pokemon (Kanto, Orange Islands, most of the movies up until the end of gen 3)
  • Digimon (up until Savers)
  • Kirby of the Stars
  • Inuyasha
We didn't have cable growing up, so me and my brother had to watch the episodes of Kirby and Digimon that were uploaded onto Youtube at the time. The others were mostly via DVD and VHS.

For some reason we really hated the English Kirby dub, so we watched the subtitled japanese version of the anime. We were fine with other 4kids stuff at the time, so idk why we disliked the Kirby one specifically.

I remember we tried watching Sailor Moon and Naruto at some point, but we never really got further in than a few episodes for either series.

Anpanman & Doraemon were the only ones I remember watching, and they hold a lot of memories to me.

Back
Top Bottom