• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Children believe Sheep Lay Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
sad part is im american and i agree with u lol. i always hated goin to school because of the kids. though u cant blame the kids when the parent dont do anythin to help the situation.
That's true. Parents are hiding things from their kids like what X-Scissor said. If they really want their kids to be happy, tell them the truth.

Butterflies. The clue's in the name! They make butter, not cheese!

You'd think children in more agricultural counties like Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset would know more about this than people in more urban areas... Perhaps children's television is to blame. When I was young, we'd have Auntie Mabel and Peggy Patch telling us where stuff came from rather than Iggle Piggle dancing around a garden.

I am quite suprised that this coming from British kids in very rural counties. But if sociology teaches us anything, it's that statistics are meaningless without the context of how the survey was conducted. I want to know what percentage of children gave those bizarre answers, some of which not too bizarre to a six year old's logic

Tullio

Cheese from Butterflies... Maybe the connection was 'String Cheese' and 'String from Butterflies'?

That's true. Parents are hiding things from their kids like what X-Scissor said. If they really want their kids to be happy, tell them the truth.
Well, at least X-Scissor was optimistic and thought about the parents who at least care to give an answer to their kids' questions. Some just ignore or tell the kid to ask to someone else.

But heck, WTF? I would like to know if this survey was done with kids from public or private schools, or both. Not wanting to blame public education, but it seems that it isn't that good, taking in consideration what fate (the user) also said. Here in Brazil it's almost the same crap, to worse.

This is all pretty silly. the kids will learn soon enough. when i was younger i believed in magic'n what not. now? not so much.

how old are the kids they were surveying anyway?

It said they were aged 6 to 8. In Britain, a public school is a private school...

if that's the case what's the big deal? give them a couple years and they will know what's what...

if that's the case what's the big deal? give them a couple years and they will know what's what...

Yeah, but even I knew that eggs didn't come from fuckin sheep when I was eight. Or that cheese didn't come from butterflies. This is just ridiculous. These kids are 6-8 not 2-4. :/

Yeah, but even I knew that eggs didn't come from fuckin sheep when I was eight. Or that cheese didn't come from butterflies. This is just ridiculous. These kids are 6-8 not 2-4. :/

I agree that it doesn't make sense that they dont' know these things, but it's not like you can stay ignorant of something like that for much longer. they will be taught/figure it out...

though i'm not sure how they haven't been taught that yet.

I agree that it doesn't make sense that they dont' know these things, but it's not like you can stay ignorant of something like that for much longer. they will be taught/figure it out...

though i'm not sure how they haven't been taught that yet.

I know that but if you don't already know that eggs come from chickens by the time you're eight, it just goes to show that education is decaying. This isn't just one child, it's almost 1,000!

honestly?
perhaps you guys went to terrible schools, but I would say that American schools are pretty good. sure, they taught me to be lazy, but i received an excellent education. it amuses me that you all think poorly of your schools.
as for this study, its obviously an issue with the teachers. fix that

I know that but if you don't already know that eggs come from chickens by the time you're eight, it just goes to show that education is decaying. This isn't just one child, it's almost 1,000!

I'm not sure it has to do with the educational system, but it probably does.

To be honest, I don't remember being taught that chickens hatch eggs in school when I was that age though.

God bless NATO! /sarcasm

Last edited:
God bless america! /sarcasm

What does America have to do with this? Please read the original post. These are children from various parts of England.

I swear, some assholes will jump on any chance to whine about the United States, even when it's something that has nothing whatsoever to do with the United States.

What does America have to do with this? Please read the original post. These are children from various parts of England.

God bless NATO! /sarcasm
fix'd

My mistake, I just assumed by the patheticness of the intelligence of those children that they had to be American. You know, steryotypes and all.

The problem is, this isn't the kind of thing that gets taught in schools. My Mum works at a Primary School; these days, it's all things like literacy and numeracy. Children are taught to read and write, do basic maths, maybe some simple science, geography and history. Common sense things like where cheese comes from is generally left for children to pick up elsewhere, or from parents.

To make cheese: Get a cow pregnant. Kill the calf, and extract its stomach lining. (Use the meat for veal or whatever). Take the milk the cow is making to feed the calf. Warm it up to a cow's stomach temperature, and add the calf's stomach lining. The milk will seperate into curds and whey. Remove the curds, and strain them to get out the whey. Put into a cheese press and press hard! In a while, you get cheese!

@Showsni- Killing the calf isn't needed nor economical. >_> You'd need the bacteria more than some calf.

I didn't learn where my food came from at school; I was taught at home/found out myself. It was only recently that I found out why bacteria avoid the stomach and try to live in the intestines.

This seems more like a problem between unattentive parents and teachers who are crammed full of info to teach kids each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom