• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Chillie's Top 100 Favorite Pokémon

#91:
1583516158972.png

GROUDON
Now I'm gonna be honest, the Gen III Weather Trio isn't my favorite trio out there. Nothing wrong with any of them as Pokémon or as a trio; I think conceptually and design wise they're some of the more refined Legendaries we have! I'm just not all that bullish on them as "THE BEST TRIO EVER" as some hardcore fans would say, and that kinda has to do with the other two members of the trio. Kyogre is a big orca whale god with ludicrous rain, but I dunno it just doesn't speak to me that much; same with Rayquaza tbh. I do respect Rayquaza (and all the weather trio for that matter) a lot. It's a beautifully orchestrated Pokémon in terms of overwhelmingly epic design and raw power. Buuut again I'm just not instantly sold on it. *shrug*
Now Groudon was the one I almost immediately chose as my favorite. Despite my favorite color being blue (get used to see a lot of that on this list lol), I just dig the rugged ruby red of Groudon more. But what I really like about Groudon is its ambiguity. What exactly is Groudon?? Sure it's based on Behemoth of Hebrew mythology, but it doesn't really look anything like the depictions we know of. Sure it also looks like a giant lizard...but I don't know if it stops there. Those pointy claws and spikes decorating Groudon actually do remind of of a thorny devil.
1583516908556.png

Probably the closest thing we have to a thorny devil Pokémon. Yet another concept I would pay billions to make a reality, but I guess Groudon will do for now.
But if is a lizard...why does it have teeth?? and why is it mostly bipedal?? It's these kind of awkwardly creative design that I love examining the most. I guess that's why I like it the most out of the three. Its a design that I think is more original than Kyogre and Rayquaza. And that DESIGN hello?? Aside from the spikes, I really admire the jagged lines all over Groudon as well. Makes it look like its wearing tectonic plating as freaking armor. Epic x10.
Now that I think about it, Groudon actually resembles a dinosaur more than anything else, and it would be more fitting to have the personification of land be this tectonic tyrannosaur. Easily one of the most kickass box-art Legendaries we've gotten. And to think it actually got even better in 2014...
1583517505301.png

Just...look at him. Isn't he glorious??
Those seismic cracks in his armor are now flowing with scorching magma hot enough to let this ancient vessel of Groudon evaporate water by just EXISTING.
This form makes the normal Groudon look like a puny pipsqueak that belongs in the plummeting pits of PU. Oh dear god...I dig (heh get it cuz ground) it even more than before. While the other weather trio members got their own respective upgrades, it's Primal Groudon's that just takes the cake. I appreciate just how far they take the whole "omega" concept and roll with it to the point that you can see the omega symbol on its arms. Well now we have a gargantuan T-Rex behemoth monster with lava in its veins capable of bringing all of the Earth's resources to a scorching halt. It's a terrifying sight, but also one to behold.
Better keep that fear factor though, because this new makeup puts the "devil" right back into thorny devil. Regular Groudon was already an incredible Pokémon with ridiculous setup potential with Swords Dance and Rock Polish, outstanding coverage for a Ground-type, insane sun support, access to Stealth Rock, and some of the highest physcial prowess of any fighter. Well NOW that might as well be the new stock insert for that Toy Story meme.
1583518598186.png

PRIMAL Groudon takes everything that made the original such a formidable Uber and cranked it up so high it broke the crank. Even stronger physical stats, a massive chunk into special attack, the same absurd movepool, and attach the Fire typing to give it STAB on those Sun-boosted moves. But wait...wouldn't that make it 4x weak to Wat-DESOLATE LAND.
1583518807539.png

Oh. Ohohohoho. Welp no longer need gool ol' George Harrison to let us know when the sun comes huh. Now THIS is a realm of NOPE that Pokémon is probably still biting themselves in the ass for. Complete and total IMMUNITY to what would otherwise be a crippling weakness?? To an Uber legendary with a 770 BST?!?
This thing borderline-no scratch that, it IS oppressive. You're pretty much required to use this beast on every Uber team, but honestly I myself do kinda love the power trip. Yes, this thing should probably not exist :ROFLMAO: but it does, so might as well take it in like the spoiled brat that I probably am. God is it fun to just dent a hole in the opposition in almost every battle it's in. And with the sheer amount of versatile and viable sets it can run, Primal Groudon looks to remain the strongest of its brethren for...a while. And good on it, its reign of glory is justified. I mean it IS the living embodiment of the Earth's continents; anything less than dominant would be a dishonor if you ask me.
One of the most powerful Pokémon to ever exist on top of an amazing design slots Groudon comfortably as my favorite of the Weather Trio, and that'll never change. Deservedly one that's earned its title of the "master of the lands."

1583521628298.png

The first tenth of this top 100 has come and gone, but stay tuned; there's a lot more favorites to come. :D

Last edited:
Though Kyogre is my personal favorite of the weather trio, I gotta appreciate the love for Primal Groudon, too! I had lots of fun battling with that earthen behemoth in Ultra Sun. The connections you drew to the thorny devil lizard were interesting, too; it’s a cool animal that I’ve imagined a cool knockoff “Pokémon” line for, myself, one member of which does share some traits with Primal Groudon. Perhaps I’ll draw it up some time.

1583597992177.png

LUDICOLO
Interesting how Ludicolo of all Pokémon landed here. I mean really, amongst all of Hoenn's titans of the Grass-type like Shiftry, Cradily, Breloom, and even Sceptile, I put the hipster kappa freak from below the border atop them all.
Well sign me up on this one-way vacation, because Ludicolo is worth every dollar. He's just about the happiest Pokémon ever conceived. C'mon man he always dances and has this goofy smile on his face. I love how overboard the facial expression is and also just how far they take the idea. Any time a catchy rhythm is heard, Ludicolo will just forget all of life's worries and just dance his heart out. He really brings out the best in all of us huh? It's infectious just how energetic this boi is. Entertainment aside, I've always also appreciated the design aspects of the entire Lotad family.
Spr_3e_270.png

Lotad himself is this adorably chill platypus-lookin mofo with tiny stubby feet and a lilypad for a hat. Looks like something straight out of a Studio Ghibli movie; he's just so precious I wanna give him all the pats ;-;
Spr_3e_271.png

Lombre is this smug-faced boob with even further development in its appendages and still keeps the awkward charm of Lotad. I just love how eternally cocky he looks.
Spr_3e_272.png

And of course, Ludicolo! Honestly what's not to adore?? He looks like a chunky pineapple wearing a sombrero and the face and energy of a leprechaun. And aside from the obvious nightmare fuel his dropped-jaw expression might give off, I still find it hysterically delightful. The whole line evolves in such a fascinatingly bizarre fashion that even the fashion police is stunned. The whole progression from tiny lil' pipsqueak platypus into...what Ludicolo wants to be...is one of my favorites in the entire series.
They're all based upon the Kappa; those weird duck-like Japanese yokai that store water on their heads.
1583599498046.png

The fact that this aspect is tied with a sombrero of all things makes me cackle. And while it's not my favorite iteration of the concept, Ludicolo still have this incredible charm that I won't ever forget.
And speaking from someone who loves placid, down-to-earth pieces of art, the Lotad family is featured in some of the most chill works of fan art I've seen.
1583599939684.png
tide-jitthai-foythong-lotadking2-04.jpg
Image result for lotad fanart
Image result for lotad fanart

I love just how perfect they all fit with the torrential rain and swampy marshlands. There's so much more incredible artworks involving this line that I wish I could show here. Credits to every single one of these awesome dudes/dudettes who brought them to life. You're all incredible.~
And all these ties to rain flows seamlessly into how Ludicolo plays out as a battler. Being what is essentially the face of rain abuse, all it takes it a little help from Pelipper or Politoed to give this kappa a reason to keep on dancing. Two amazing Rain-centralized abilities make Ludicolo an unpredictable threat when the clouds get dark. First is Rain Dish, arguably the lesser of the two, but can still be annoying especially with a typing as uncommon as Water/Grass. Speaking of that, that's one of my favorite parts of Ludicolo. So far, the family is the only bits of Water and Grass mashed together in the series' 24+ year history, which is a shame. Combining the mysterious elegance of the Water type and the natural beauty of the Grass type, which also happen to be two of my favorite types, is a combo I'd kill for to get another one of. But going back to Rain Dish, Ludicolo can be a surprisingly annoying defensive stalwart. Stacking this with Substitute + Leech Seed stalling makes it a goofball that's hard to take down with standard affair due to the aforementioned type combo.
Yeeea cool and all, but it's really Swift Swim that steals the show. Turning this happy-go-lucky pineapple into one of the fastest Pokémon around under Rain is hilariously awesome. Coveted with a great offensive STAB combo that can beat almost any other Water-type, Ludicolo has a unique presence among all the other Rain sweepers. While not as immediately overpowered as Kingdra or Kabutops, Ludicolo is still extremely fun to go ham with. Just watching the flies drop from enormous Hydro Pump nukes coming from that face makes my heart explode; I love love LOVE it! :ROFLMAO:
And lastly, Ludicolo has a lot of sentimental value to me. This evolution line was one of the very first Pokémon outside of the original 151 that I ever saw. And given that one of my older sisters is really into birds (specifically ducks), it wasn't really gonna leave my sight anytime soon either. I guess a lot of the adoration of Ludicolo just rubbed off from her to me moreso than even the cheery 'mon himself could. And to this day, Ludicolo is one of the Pokémon that always reminds me of my top-tier big sis. Just adds on the happiness factor that tips it over the YES scale so hard that even the scale couldn't calculate it.
Image result for lotad family

I cherish Lotad, Lombre, and Ludicolo so much. The eldest may be the placeholder, but I have deep appreciation for the whole gang. Their designs and personalities are incredibly charming, they're fun and unique to use, and they hold a special place in my heart. Easily one of my favorite Generation III picks.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna get back to dancing. Adiós amigos.~

609Chandelure.png

CHANDELURE
You know, it's funny. In all my years of being a fan of the Pokémon crew from the red, white, and blue, I never would have imagined that THIS of all things would become arguably the face of Gen V, but also one of the most beloved monsters in recent memory. Chandelure, along with Litwick and Lampent, has had a lot of goodies thrown its way over the past decade; most notably, a place on Pokkén Tournament's roster. I find it delightfully ironic that this floating candlelit ornament from hell made it in over conventional choices like Greninja and Hawlucha. And while I didn't really play much of Pokkén, I did find a lot of enjoyment out of using it and watching it flail its lil arms at other fighters. And in general it's just a pleasing sight to watch this thing kick ass :ROFLMAO:
Image result for chandelure gif

D'aww look at him, he's trying his best. A+ for effort my friend.
Attention aside, it's almost shocking that Chandelure is a favorite, especially with all the criticism towards object Pokémon. Somehow Chandelure's take on it has overcome the stigma and become an iconic part of the franchise.
But again, why? Why Chandelure? Well...Why not?
What isn't there to love about Chandelure?? Its design is so whimsically kneejerking, it's almost kind of a adorable. I love the relaxingly staunch look its always wearing. And yet that face can also be surprisingly expressive. I think it's so cute whenever Chandelure smiles or looks happy, I dunno why but it's just so charming.
Image result for happy chandelure gif

Cute factor aside, this thing is downright terrifying in its origins. You may think that a haunted mansion knickknack from 1827 sounds like something out of a cheesy Saturday morning cartoon, until you realize what Chandelure does for a living. Chandelure *clears throat*...
"absorbs a spirit, which it then burns. By waving the flames on its arms, it puts its foes into a hypnotic trance. Being consumed in Chandelure's flame burns up the spirit, leaving the body behind.
Soooo this thing literally ChandeLURES its victim into its wispy grasp and consumes their souls whole while leaving the poor individual as just a mere vessel for all eternity.
Very VERY dark corner of NUH UH, but also flippin' awesome. I love how exaggeratedly horrifying they really take Chandelure, and yet you're still getting killed by a floating lamp with that sweet lil' face.
Also, can we just admire the color choice for this whole line? The purple flame aesthetic is just downright beautiful to look at. They really nailed the sheer wonder of this holy creature.
A soul of what's probably a dead mansion owner trapped in a glass coating and wielding satanic forearms and haunting wispy flames. They took THIS...
1583685037039.png

and turned it into a design and personality as epic and creative as Chandelure. It's a Pokémon I greatly respect for just how brilliant it is. It goes way beyond the traditional "sentient object Pokémon" trope and gives it an incredibly fascinating background and even more scary behavior. Hands down one of the best Pokémon they've ever designed.
They were just waiting to make this thing a Ghost/Fire type. By god is this combination so kickass. Makes sense that ghosts already have will o' wisps, so it's about damn time they made something that combined that with the fire type. Made ever better is its incredible statistical merit. Base Special Attack of one hUHUHUHWHAT
1583685314874.png

145??

Good jeebus beliebus, Chandelure is one of the strongest special attackers in the entire flippin' entourage of Pokémon. Combine that with two incredible special STABs along with crafty coverage in Energy Ball and Psychic, and you got a battler with unparalleled potential in its field. Even though its speed is a tad disappointing, which does lend it more towards a Choice Scarf set, that's not entirely a bad thing; especially with the bag of unbelievable tricks that comes with being a Ghost type. For example...well Trick. Chandelure can be an unexpected nuisance to any wall by tricking a Choice Scarf onto them, along with other unique moves for a Fire-type like Destiny Bond, Calm Mind, and even Trick Room. And if you feel like you wanna cheese a victory, might I suggest Flame Charge? No joke, I ran a Flame Charge Chandelure to a counter-team match and it clutch-won me the match; it ended up being one of the fondest memories I've ever had when playing in a draft league or competitive Pokémon in general. But aside from those abnormal moves, you will mostly be sticking to your incredible STAB combo for high-octane damage. But is it really such a bad thing when your special attack is so high and you have a badass unique type?? Yea that's what I thought. Nobody should ever sleep on Sia's pet ghost, or it'll make people sleep. Forever. :eek:
Chandelure is an outstanding Pocket Monster that has earned every bit of its following that it has received. I feel like there really isn't a single thing wrong with it. I know I keep saying it on this list so far, but it really is a perfect Pokémon. It's one that has exceeded every expectation people had for it when it was initially revealed. What we thought would be this stupid-looking lamp at first, turned into a near-unanimously praised ghoul of epic proportions. In all of design, character, statistics, and just general appeal, there really isn't a Pokémon like Chandelure.
And if you wanna throw any negativity towards this beauty my way, I'll throw 'em back......til' I lose count.
Image result for sia chandelure

X)​

Woah, seems like my own list has inspired others to do the same thing. That's awesome! It's great seeing other people talk about their favorite Pokémon, it really brings out the best of people huh? :D I'm so humbled that this list is getting the warm reception that it is. Thank you all for joining my journey to count down my own favorites; let's keep this ball rolling. We're gonna rock the Pokémon community!~ And speaking of rock....

553Krookodile.png

KROOKODILE
How about a Pokémon who sounds like a rock guitar? Hell yea I love Krookodile!! Who woulda thought that one of my favorite Dark-types would be this crazy crocodilian creep?! Can we just talk about how epic it is?? His appearance and stance just screams "Yea, I know I can rip you to shreds, but I find torture to be more fun.~" Good lord, this beast is so intimidating not even Steve Irwin would wanna hustle with it. Krookodile's blackened facial marking is one of my favorite design touches to any Pokémon. Not only do you gift Krook the appearance of a rocker's shades (which is incredibly badass on its own), but it also gives off the physique of a bandit; looks devilishly handsome to boot. I can see this dude commanding an army of Salandit (and yea other Sandile lol) to do its bidding. It's just the perfect "boss" Pokémon in general. I'm surprised they never gave Giovanni one of these, I mean c'mon it already fits with the type and attitude of thievery. It's a match made in heaven. I feel like Krookodile can just be the main antagonist of a Pokémon on his own. Super Mystery Dungeon sorta did this for a while, and it was just awesome seeing it on screen wreaking havoc.
There are so many other great appearances from Krookodile since its conception. Most notably, the one that Ash caught in the anime!
Image result for ash's krookodile

(a.k.a. one of the only good things to come out of the BW series) :p
The story of the sunglasses Sandile evolving and joining Ash's team was very compelling to follow and a very cool idea; having one of Ash's Pokémon first appear during what Episode 3? and having it follow the gang for another 20? (it turned out to be 50 but whatevs) is pretty clever, and making it a badass sunglass-wearing snarky son of a pickle was so enjoyable. It's one of the first times I felt a connection to Ash and his Pokémon, which is weird because this series also had forgettable catches like Palpitoad and Boldore. Who knew that one of the only exception to Ash's rotation would be this hunk? Pretty much every time Krookodile appeared since it evolved had it in some sort of badass fight. I really dig its character, and it's been one of my favorites of Ash's collection for a while now.
Image result for krookodile

Crocodiles in general are metal as all ficklesticks. I've grown to really appreciate these creatures! And I appreciate how they translated the normally water-bound reptiles into a desert environment even more. It's a very cool take on the idea of having an animal be put in a habitat that is like the complete opposite of what it normally is. :ROFLMAO: It's so goofy that I can't help but get a kick out of it.
On top of all this, Krookodile is an incredible ally for really any team, single or multiplayer. Using this on a team in its homeland of Unova is one of the most fun additions you can possibly have, with its excellent dual-STAB of Ground/Dark (damn we're really piling on the awesome types aren't we?) and even more crazy choice of abilities. Do you want a deceptively bulky brute with Intimidate? Or do you just wanna put entire teams into the ground (lol cuz ground huehue im funny) with Moxie?? It's a blast to use this thing either way. I named mine from my White 2 Team "Sandals," and she was just such a Power Trip (lolol i cant be stopped). And trust me, this won't be the last team member from that playthrough on this list.
But even better is that Krookodile translates its singleplayer use beautifully into multiplayer. With respectable all-around stats and greater emphasis on Attack and Speed, this monster had loads of potential. With two unbelievably good STABs in Knock Off and Earthquake and one of the deadliest Pursuits in the game, Krook is a force to be reckoned with. While its defensive capabilities and overall coverage are limited, which means Krook doesn't have much of a place in the upper echelons of the top tier mumbo jumbo, it means it can thrive without a care in UnderUsed. Outclassed by little else there, Krookodile's potential equipped with a Choice Scarf or a kooky Rocks set is almost second to none. I adore using it whenever I get the chance; it always manages to put some dent into my opponent's team with its raw power and consistent reliability. And c'mon, who can't say yes to a smile like that?
Image result for krookodile art

Epic. Epic epicepicepciepciepciecoeiepeARGH HE'S SO COOL!
Whenever I think of amazing Dark types, especially from Gen 5, Krookodile is one I instantly think of. Well, actually not entirely, but I'll get to why when that time comes X)
Hell even his name "Krookodile" is just so powerful to say. Everything about it is just so well designed and executed. I've never seen a Ground type be just so...unironically rad.
It may not be an absolute favorite Ground-type of mine, but Krookodile has earned its spot on this list and then some. Absolutely amazing in every way, and hey that's a good enough reason to give me a huge crocodile smile now isn't it? :)
#LiabilityForeverAfter​

758Salazzle.png

SALAZZLE
Oh...hooooweee wha do we have here?!?
You know it's funny, I didn't expect this lovely lizard to show up here! Well low and behold, she is in all her tantalizing glory~
Ooookay!! Well distracting...visuals...aside...Salazzle is actually pretty flippin' sick. When Salandit was first shown to the world, we all bowed down to how freakishly badass it was. I mean seriously GameFreak, y'all make the first Poison/Fire type and make it a volcanic bandit salamander?? Way too dope for words. But never would any of us imagine that Salandit would become...this. Even with the hint of females Salandit being distinct, I dunno if anyone really put two and two together...well I don't care regardless, because Salazzle is an intriguing design for many reasons...
To start, yea I won't be the first to admit Salazzle does flex the whole "sexy lizard" aspect of it very well. Those hips don't lie, people. :oops: Apart from that though, I do like the slick purple and pink coloring along with that loong tail. I feel like it pulls off the concept of feminine evolution way more than Vespiquen, even though I like her too. I don't know what else I can say without sounding incredibly weird, cuz yea this thing is pretty hot. :ROFLMAO: And it's actually kinda ironic; you'd think this babe would invoke a"strong independent woman" message like you'd find in a cheesy late 2000's Kidz Bop. Buuut it turns out...
1583882035676.png

R-RE-REVERSE HAREM?? I nearly cracked up a heart attack the first time I saw that line. So you're tellin' me Salazzle not only looks like THAT, but she relishes in it and seduces an entire group of male Salandit??
Goddammit Pokémon ya snorty crackleheads. :ROFLMAO:
I love how over-the-top the drag out Salazzle's...*cough* attraction...they know exactly what they made when creating this lizard. And I think it's fantastic.
But really what put Salazzle here is just how ludicrously fun it is in battle. While its base stats are mostly specialized in Speed and Special Attack while leaving the other stats out to dry, Salazzle is still a great threat. The multi-faceted offensive and defensive coverage gifted by the Poison/Fire typing lends this hawt lizzo to an great amount of versatility. Sure you can go for the standard Nasty Plot sweeper build, which is a pretty awesome force when it works, but I think Salazzle has some of the most untapped potential of any Pokémon. Introducing Corrosion!
Image result for pokemon corrosion

God...if this was on a bulkier Poison-type, or if it ever gets slapped onto one in the future, it would get so much more attention.
Being able to Poison anything?? So you're tellin' me I can Toxic a Toxapex and Ferrothorn?? Oh sweet jeebus hell to the yes!! Combined with this quietly deadly niche and Salazzle's amazing Speed, it can lead to one of the most annoying sets of all time. Substitute, Toxic, Protect, and whatever ya want on that fourth move. If Salazzle can find a free turn against an unwilling opponent, all it has to do is set up one Toxic and it can pretty much beat anything 1v1 after it goes in a Sub. It's such a hilariously cheesy stall strategy that can quite literally beat entire teams on its own. One of my favorite things to run on a Pokémon. :LOL:
Salazzle was also one of the Pokémon I pretty much immediately wanted on my first playthrough of Moon. Still a favorite team of mine (which includes the previously listed Alolan Exeggutor), Salazzle was a great friend throughout my journey, always being a reliable offensive threat against just about every major boss fight in the same. I named her "Lizzie" after a friend on Discord at the time, and I loved raising her ^^ I mean who wouldn't wanna a Pokémon that looks like...that! :love:
Image result for salazzle art

I touched upon it briefly earlier, but I find Salazzle to be a more interesting representation of the female-only evolution concept than Vespiquen, mostly because of why it happens.
"The males bring it food, and those that are unable to are punished with flaming slaps. Salazzle's gas can also be diluted to make perfumes. Only female Salazzle exists as the male Salandit cannot evolve due to a malnutrition diet. The winners of a competition between two Salazzle are determined by who has the most male Salandit in their harem."
This wild whiptail essentially attracts the lil males with her poisonous pheromones, binding them into that reverse harem group. Then they act as the leader of the pack, commanding these males to do its bidding and find it food. And all the devotion from these males leads to malnutrition, making them not able to evolve. You're tellin' me there's an actual reason behind this?? The whole gang mentality gives this family a lot more depth than just "oh Combee's a male, it can't be queen hurrhurr." It's pretty dark (huehue get it cuz they're dark-colored :X ) for a Pokémon game to delve into this; then again, there's been crazier stuff this demented franchise has pulled off sooo what do I know X)
Image result for salazzle

Well what do I know?? All I know is that Salazzle is a very fascinating Pokémon in all...aspects...of play. I knows damn well what it is, and I can't help but connect with Salazzle beyond it being an intoxicating babe magnet. It's a Pokémon that really brings out what I love about the series; goofing around with the ways it can battle, researching how a Pokémon comes to be, geeking at cool designs, and all the other stuff in between hue. Truly a Fire-type that goes above and beyond what I look for in one. And did I mention Salazzle is pretty hot? No? Good. :p
And don't lie, you think she's pretty hot too.

Last edited:

File:157Typhlosion.png

TYPHLOSION
Some people choose the big friendly flower dino; others choose the beefy feral gator. But for me, the beginner choice hailing from the land of Johto is this lovable badger chad. I love Typhlosion. :bulbaLove: I get it's not the most popular Fire-starter out there, but this one has a special place in my heart. Being the starter I chose on my very first Johto playthrough all those years ago, the whole Cyndaquil group has stuck with me as some of the more appealing early-gen starters. I'm probably in the minority here nowadays, but I think Typhlosion's design is kickass. I get it's just a hunkier bipedal Cyndaquil; not much to make it stand out among the others of its kind that typically have some big change in design. But on the other hand...he just looks so cool, especially in that artwork. And I think the "hunkier bipedal Cyndaquil" is actually a part of its charm.
1583934210511.png

I think the Cyndaquil family has one of the simpler evolution progressions, but for all the best reasons. Cyndaquil is this lil' shrew boi with squinty eyes. He is baby. One of the most adorable starters for sure. Quilava is pretty dope! I love how slick he looks, and his design is that perfect middle-ground of not too cute but not too mean. It's that balance where Quilava finds its charm. And of course, Typhlosion. I love how the erupting fire evolves from spikes on Cyndaquil's back, to Quilava's head and hindquarters, and then finally this lovely explosive mane. His sick expression just screams "I'm king you best stay away unless you wanna be toast!" :ROFLMAO: Like Meganium, it's that simplicity that's most of its charm. In a world full of mega ultra chickens and heel-wrestling cats, it's nice to stroll with a plain ol' wolverine once in a while. And you can't tell me Typhlosion's grin is one of the best things you've seen in your life.
Image result for typhlosion gif

D'aww isn't he just the sweetest? :love:
Cool attitude and design aside, Typhlosion has been a Pokémon that I've connected with for almost as long as I've been a fan of the series. Specifically, it reminds me of the good times I had with my other top-tier sister, Jen, and her group of friends. The Cyndaquil line was one they would always geek about and seeing them brings me back to those early teenage years; ahh simpler times.~ xd
Hell I even have friends now who love the family, and I can't help but join along with them. :) I mean for crying out loud, even something as bizarre as an apple sculpted into a Typhlosion is just perfection <33
Image result for typhlosion apple

How is this not the most precious thing anyone has ever made? I want one. I want my friends to have one. I want everyone to have one. The world needs more of this. 11/10 it's the apple of my eye.
Now I get Typhlosion isn't the best starter to use in a Johto playthrough (Whitney and Clair stuff it into the ground), I still got a big kick out of just kicking a lot of ass just spamming Flame Wheel, Flamethrower, and Eruption with it. Yea that's all it really does, but it's just so fun that I don't care if it's a one trick Ponyta. He's still an extremely reliable heavy hitter who just looks like he can be your best pal for life, gah I adore it! :ROFLMAO:
Buuut translating that to the competitive scene is a different story. It's probably the worst Fire-starter to use, which is honestly not saying much considering all of them have some use, but it definitely has the least amount of viability. That linear movepool doesn't get much better, especially with the Physical-Special split taking away decent coverage like Thunder Punch. The only thing Typhlosion can really do well is one admittedly stupid fun move; the previously noted Eruption.
Image result for typhlosion background

At full health, Typhlosion's Eruption can be nuclear strong. Kinda reminds me of a mini-Kyogre in that it relies heavily on full HP to reach its full potential. I love watching bodies drop left and right by just clicking Eruption; when it works it really works and it's another power trip I adore. X)
But relying pretty much solely on full HP for a Fire-type is...not great. Stealth Rock is the bane of this poor badger's existence; one clip from those pebbles can gimp it from the start because of it's weaksauce coverage outside of its powerful STAB. Yea it does suck when that happens, but it's still one of my favorite Fire-starters to clean up with and you can never get that disappointed at a face like that. :whistle:
It's mostly the nostalgia talking, but even now I can't help but love the Cyndaquil family and most specifically Typhlosion. It looks simple, yet awesome, it's reliable as a Johto partner and as an Eruption spammer, and he's just the perfect best friend for any old-school Pokénerd.
Image result for typhlosion hi five gif

My favorite Gen II starter, and my second favorite Fire-starter to date. Thanks for the good times buddy. :bulbaLove:

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if we’re really in the minority by preferring Typhlosion to the other Johto starters; it’s definitely awesome in my book, too! The designs for the whole Cyndaquil line are simple but effective in a great way. I’ve loved Typhlosion ever since I first saw Jimmy/Ethan’s in The Legend of Thunder as a kid!

Throughout my list, you'll be seeing a lot of my favorite Pokémon that I've had up in my list for a lotta years. Surprisingly aside from the new Gen VIII ensemble, there are very few Pokémon that have recently joined my Top 100 list. And with that, it's time for one of those rare exceptions.

File:398Staraptor.png

STARAPTOR

Dammit, I really wish I could put its cry here as well cuz it's one of the coolest in all of Pokémon :ROFLMAO:
C'mon people, what's really there to say about Staraptor?? Just look at this majestic thing of beauty!! Even to someone as cold-hearted as me can't help but admit that this bird of prey is one of the coolest looking Flying-types we've ever seen. Made all the more impressive is its predecessors' killer lineup of Pidgeot...Noctowl...and Swellow. I mean they're all decent birbs, but Staraptor changed everything. This dude looks like he can slice you and your loved ones into pieces while keeping that suave demeanor is his. I can't get over how awesome its crest is; that red on the tip of it kinda reminds me of blood. You really don't want to screw with Staraptor. Also those giant talons?? Hello?? And that plumage?? It's the perfect bird Pokémon design, and to think this is THE early-game bird?? The one you were told to box after Gym 1?? Going from the first 3 to this beast is like a 0 to 100 shift in quality lmao.
And can I just say that I like the quirky lil' marking on the whole Starly line?
Image result for starly line

They look like freaking pencils!! I can't help but smile at that. I need one of these to help me on my next exams badly, because what is holding a pencil for 80 minutes?? X)
Honestly, even Starly and Staravia seem like standard early-game affair, so how in holy hot lava did we go from 'ravia to 'RAPTOR?! Biggest glowup I've ever seen. Be careful who you call nerdy in middle school, people.
But wait a sec...could it be? A Normal/Flying type...that's good?? Not just good...but great?? How what why who?? We're living in the apocalypse people. 120 Attack and 100 Speed is incredibly good, and that problem where these types of birbos usually get stonewalled (lolol) by Rocks and Steels? Yea that's almost nonexistent.
Image result for staraptor close combat

Close Combat?? Idk how they managed to squeak that into its arsenal, but that's kickass as all the depths of hell. And the way Staraptor fights will put anyone in said hell. Not only does it get other incredible moves like Brave Bird and U-Turn, but its abilities are just so downright killer that even the killer is hiding in his home. Intimidate is so good on its own, you all know that. But what truly makes this birb come into its own is its Hidden Ability: Reckless.
Good lord where do I start?? It's bad enough you made something that hits ridiculously hard, but now you've gone and made its recoil moves even stronger?? Looks like I have even more of a reason to stay in my room. Seriously, this boost to Staraptor's Brave Birds and Double Edges puts it in Darmanitan levels of overwhelming. Equipping a Choice Band on it makes 'Raptor one of the single strongest non-boosted attackers in the whole series. There's literally nothing that can wall this birb's onslaught unless you're using something niche like a Mega Aggron. Much like Darmanitan, I get so much enjoyment out of the power trip from this thing, arguably even more than the gorilla. It's probably because Brave Bird is one of my favorite moves; just so awesome to hurl yourself at blinding speeds into your opponent. So satisfyingly epic! Whenever I get a Staraptor at any point while playing competitively, I just get this huge evil smirk on my face. Y'all better watch out, because letting me use a Staraptor will make the tables turn and it'll be the one watching out...for you. :oops:

Okay...cool...well that's fine and dandy and all..but you said this was a late addition to the list...why wait so long to put it in your favorites?
Yea truth be told, I never really gave Staraptor the respect it deserved for the longest time. Yea I thought it was pretty rad, but I never had it as one of my all-time favorites; mostly because I never got the chance to use it in a playthrough...

And then I used it in a playthrough.
Okay so my most recent go-around with a Pokémon game was actually less then three months ago, when I got a new copy of a game I've wanted to play again for the longest time: Platinum.
Before this time, I went with a different Flying-type for all my Sinnoh adventures. I think it was because I didn't really want to go for the same Starly member almost everyone else had. I do like me some spice to my variety after all. And I even almost didn't choose it again; I almost went for Togekiss. Heck, I even considered just having it as a temporary team member until I got Togepi. But because all my other choices I wanted to use were so far off, I knew I needed a Pokémon to go with my Piplup early on, and so Starly it was. I caught the first one I found on Route 201, and I named him "Duke" to go along with the Piplup I had named "Duchess." The entire party would go on to have a royal court nickname theme.
It wouldn't be long before Duke and Duchess started to see some action. The first gym had Piplup live on like 2 HP and take down Roark's Cranidos, and the second gym had Staravia also live with a sliver of HP to beat Gardenia's Roserade. Oh how much this would be a theme. Also once Duke evolved I realized I had actually nicknamed my Golduck that exact same name in my playthrough of Let's Go Eevee, so I decided to change his nickname to more comical sounding "Dookie." Shoutouts to Dookieshed the legend.
1584048558079.png

And it just kept feeling like divine intervention kept getting in the way of my journey. It was always someone on the team living on a tiny amount of HP to win a big important battle. Somehow, my whole team, and specifically Dookie, was coming in super clutch for me. Could it be? I knew the Starly-line were great battlers, but Dookie was just puttin' in the work man.
12271919352.jpg

And after Dookie evolved, it just kept getting more ridiculous. When fighting Barry in Canalave, Dookie lived on 2 HP from a critical-hit Brick Break. How?? Why this thing?? How is this bird doing this?? And it just kept escalating. Almost every huge victory had one of my partners play the part of hero. At this point, I had renamed Empoleon and Staraptor to "Empress" and "Archdook" respectively, to make them both sound more adult and grown-up. :LOL: And after the whole team fully-evolved and we acquired all eight Gym Badges...it was Elite Four time. Somehow, some way, my band of misfit royals who just kept on surviving was facing the ultimate challenge...aand for a while it was a complete joke.
...until Lucian.
That fight was...rough. His Alakazam and Bronzong were so overwhelming to my party that it was almost unfair. I managed to get past Bronzong..but it got to a point where his Alakazam was taking out my members left and right. All I had left was Staraptor and another weakened party member, and all Lucian had was Alakazam and Gallade. Now, 'Dook had decent bulk because of its Careful nature, but I knew there wasn't really a way for it to live against an Alakazam's Psychic...its HP was in the red though. I sent in Archdook and used Return as Alakazam healed up with a Full Restore, and to no surprise it took 'Zam to the red.
Well...now what? There wasn't much I could do...Staraptor was at full HP but I knew it didn't stand much of a chance. I pretty much gave up at this point, knowing I'd probably have to start all over. So with a heavy heart, I clicked Return, and let Alakazam blast a Psychic right at my face. That's it...I lost...it's over...I'm sorry guys, but it looks like we'll have to sta------------
1584048525038.png

1584047535055.png

*Return takes out Alakazam* ........uh...uh...
*Gallade sent out* -- *Staraptor is faster, uses Brave Bird, and gets a critical hit to OHKO Gallade and win the match*
Image result for that's my mvp gif

Damn. I mean...wow. Archdook had been doing this for the whole game...but this is the stuff of which legends are made of. It was then and there, shocked on my bed, did I realize that 'Dook had just performed one of, if not, the most clutch performance a Pokémon has ever pulled off for me. And after I went on to beat Cynthia, I knew Staraptor was the MVP of my team. And possibly one of the greatest team members I've ever raised.
1584047889876.png

They were all heroes, but he was the hero. The archduke, the commander, the soldier. The war veteran who fought through many scars and bruises to meet his ultimate goal of triumph. The amount of sacrifice and devotion he showed has really put Staraptor on a whole new pedestal for me. Never mind that he looks badass and hits like a runaway bullet train, what he did for me there was something I'll always cherish. Now because of Archdook, whenever I see a Staraptor, I'm reminded of how much I truly love playing Pokémon. And while it's still only my second-favorite regional bird, I couldn't be more proud of how much it had climbed my list of favorites in such a short amount of time.
Thank you for your service, captain. o7

Aight, sincerest apologies for the no-show yesterday; just needed a break from typing so much lol. To make up for it, I'll be doing two entries today! :D Also a reminder to say safe during these stressful times, it's wild world out there right now. Damn, if only we had a guardian of the ecosystem to help us survive---oh wait.

600px-718Zygarde.png

ZYGARDE
*sigh again*...
If the third-legendary Pokémon from every generation are like a group of rich high-school STEM students on a tropical vacation trip, Zygarde would be the one who didn’t get their parents to sign the permission slip. Ladies and gentlemen, the Pity Party Pokémon 2.0, or should I say 50.0. Goddammit this thing really should’ve gotten its own game. Not only is it the only third-wheel of the tricycle to not star on the box of a main-series title, but the poor snek’s main selling point wasn’t even formally introduced until one generation too late. Why they did this, I will never know. It’s a shame too, because I personally find Zygarde to be an excellent Legendary. I think it has one of the more compelling designs out of all the third-legendaries!
giphy.gif

Normally I’m not too into Pokémon that implement green, let alone lime green, into the crux of its color scheme. But Zygarde’s palette just...works. It fits in with the Xerneas and Yveltal colors and is just pleasing to look at; made even more so with that design! How in living lemon lords did this serpentine guardian make hexagons cool?? And why does I want to see more Pokémon with this shape implemented now? I dunno, but I just find the whole jagged physique of Zygarde to be so rad. It’s one of the least Ground-y Ground-types I’ve ever seen, but I just can’t get enough of it. The concept of it being the underground snake Níðhöggr from the Norse Tree of Life that gnaws on the balance of the world is enough to make the mythos nerd inside of me leap like a kid in a candy store. But what makes Zygarde such an unbelievable Legendary Pokémon is that it goes way...way deeper than that.
Now Zygarde not getting its own game does blow harder my attempts at inflating a balloon, but I think we got a neat enough consolation prize for showin’ up to the party. Presenting…
Zygarde-formes.jpg

The fam.
HOOO GOLLY
where do I start?? They really went ahead and did it. They gave the poor serpentine savior a family; it even comes with a pet dog! I’mma refer to the pupper as “Zydog.” Remember when I said Zygarde was the least Ground-y Ground-type? Well forget Alolan Exeggutor, forget Goomy, forget Mega Ampharos all that nononono. THIS.
600px-718Zygarde-10Percent.png

THIS. IS A DRAGON??
AND WHY IS IT AWESOME??

This good boy is probably tied for my favorite of the designs in this group. Probably just cuz I love doggos, but aaaaa he’s just so precious!!
600px-718Zygarde-Complete.png

And while I don’t like the big daddy as much (almost exclusively because of my own dirty mind), he’s still a beaut. Honestly, I just really dig the whole “cells forming different creatures” concept; and having them all based on the three children of Loki from the same Norse mythology blows my 2-year old brain and serves it on a gourmet platter. Pretty much any time I see this family in any form I just enjoy its company; even during XYZ which I didn’t even follow all that much, I found Zygarde to be a huge highlight. Any time 50% or 100% showed up you could visibly hear me saying “Oh shoot someone’s dyin’ today.” :ROFLMAO:
And behind all this is one of the single best zero to hero stories in all of competitive Pokémon. Generation VI was almost a nothing-gen for Zygarde; sure it had...Land’s Wrath? Which is weaker than Earthquake? Ugh...unfortunate typing making it unholy outclassed by the likes of Garchomp and Landorus, and it just never had an opportunity to stand out even with its impressive stats. We all knew it had more exclusive moves, but for whatever reason they were never released. It seemed like this thing would be doomed to fail.
And then it got them the next gen…
300px-Thousand_Arrows_VII_2.png

Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be this overwhelming. Lemme get this straight...Thousand Arrows...a Ground-type move...that always hits levitating Pokémon?? Unlocking the one gate Ground-type moves couldn’t enter?? Whoever thought that was a good idea should both get a degree of badassery and also be put in jail for eternity. And why not, let’s also give it another move with the same base 90 power and give it the effect or Spirit Shackle (Thousand Waves). Yeah, awesome way to go. Oh and it gets a powerful new special-attacking move that ignores abilities (Core Enforcer)? Uhh yea talk about a glowup. Just the addition of these three moves alone turned Zygarde into one of the most versatile threats in the whole series. 50% especially was the one who ran away with these gifts like a spoiled child. This thing near-dominated the top-tier ladder for a long time, and there weren’t (and still aren’t) a whole lot of reliable answers to it. It’s no wonder why they showed its ass into the Ubers bandwagon, cuz honestly it was pretty nuts. But...I’m not even mad. I’m happy to see Zygarde be powerful! It really deserved it after being hopelessly lost the last gen. It’s like that one kid who dropped outta college then went on to be a rock superstar. And don’t even get me started on big daddy. Yea no get that thing away; that thing regains HP below half health and becomes so thicc that even oatmeal is shaking in its boots. Zydog isn’t as overwhelming since it is frail, but it’s also the fastest of the three battlers; it does have its moments of use. Overall a fantastic Pokémon to use; the Ground-type fan in me is satisfied.
normal_Zygarde.png

It may be my least favorite of the Aura Trio of Kalos, but is that really saying much? I find so much enjoyment in this family of lil hero noodles. It’s a concept that’s unlike any other, it’s way of battling is unique, and he’s one of the coolest underdog stories in all of Pokémon. Very fitting for the first Gen VI entry on the list.
But seriously Game Freak, give this thing a game eventually will ya?

Yo peeps. Just wanted to apologize for the lack of entries lately. All the commotion going on around the world has just left me drained of any motivation or passion to really do anything. I tried to come up with creative ways to say how I feel, but I'm mentally blocked right now :(( I don't really know what to do. So for the time being, entries for this list will be sporadic. I'm sorry. I know I committed to once a day, but recently it's gotten hard to even create one entry at all. Hopefully over time the dust will settle and I'll find my drive again, but for now it feels like we're all in this limbo of lockdowns and stress and all that junk. I promise I'll be back, but for now don't be surprised if I don't consistently post my entries....I hope y'all understand. Stay safe, stay healthy, and most of all...stay happy everyone.~​

887Dragapult.png

DRAGAPULT

You know, it's weird. Dragapult is a Pokémon that I've grown to love a lot, but for some reason I've had a hard time as to what to really say about it. It's partially the reason why I've been away for so long haha.
But why is that? Why has Dragapult, above all odds, ended up as one of my favorites? When I first saw it among the many other leaks, it looked absolutely absurd. Woooooah, what the bleepity bleep bloop is THAT?!?
8d4.png

Can we just talk about how wild this is?? It's this dragon...thing?? with a plane head?? and it has its babies in the holes?? What the??? Holy smokes.
The absurd creativity of Dragapult's whole evolution line is spectacularly bizarre. Easily the weirdest pseudo-legendary we've gotten to date, but also...one of the more endearing ones.
And instead of the BOO! I SCARE U >:) route that most spoopy critters in this franchise takes, this one answers an age old question: What if a ghost...didn't wanna ghost?? :O
A ghost that just...exists? Not to haunt? Not to spoop? It's...honestly a little refreshing. I love a good ghost story as much as the next guy,but it's cool just seeing something just...exist for once.
I love how it gets gradually more wispy and ethereal. The colors really pop with this one. That blood magenta for its head to go with that blend of light and dark teal just...works! :confused: I don't know how! But it does! X)
And oh yea, who could forget those fabulous nails it has? I wanna know what salon it goes to. :0
But what drives it home is of course the 'catapult' part of its name. IT SHOOTS. ITS BABIES. AS ATTACKS. :ROFLMAO: And the Dreepy look forward to becoming missiles?? It's hilariously comical and adds a completely new layer of charm to this otherwise intimidating dragon. It's both incredibly badass and adorable at the same time.
li3c2r8pnu341.jpg

Just look at how happy they are at getting yeeted....I wish I lived life like that. We all gotta live like Dreepy.
Oof...and we also gotta fight like it...
Now HERE is where Dragapult turned into a Pokémon that was initially sorta crazy lookin' and I sorta liked into "holy smokes THIS THING IS AAAWWWSSOOMMEEE"
H-HOOOHONKIN GOOD LORD ABOVE...THAT SPEED. 142??? What kind of executive thought it was okay to make a GHOST type faster than a Tapu Koko and Mega Lopunny on 14 bottles of Mountain Dew??
Now...120 Attack and 100 Sp. Attack may not sound great on paper, but damn...in practice this thing is a DEMON. Its movepool is enormous for Gen 8 standards on both the physical and special front, an awesome signature move in Dragon Darts, and some of the craziest Dynamax potential of any Pokemon. I used this thing so much in Battle Stadium Singles and Dragapult can single-handedly win entire games by itself. And that's mostly just because of how wildly unpredictable it is. Are you gonna go face-to-face with a Specs Draco Meteor, or will you get pulverized by those baby missiles on its head?? Pursuit being left out of the game did wonders for this thing, as its free to basically do whatever it wants with very little risk. Its typing is so good on both fronts, has useful abilities in Clear Body and Infiltrator, and is just...a blast to use. It's such a cool 'mon to just stunt your opponent with. You're kicking the opposing trainer's butt with an ethereal newt dragon stealth bomber. Hell yes. HELL YES TAKE MY MONEY. The main one I've been using, a shiny one named 'DANGER ZONE', has been the backbone behind many awesome victories I've had. I've gained a whole new appreciation for this monster because of it.
As I was making this segment, I feel like I realized why I had such a hard time thinking of what to say. The games themselves are brand new, and Dragapult itself is a very recent addition to this Top 100, much like Staraptor. I didn't have as much time to really grasp just how I felt about it or what to say about it that hasn't been said already. But now, a couple months have passed by, and I can fully say that I'm a lot more confident with how much respect for Dragapult I have. The whole risk of jumbling all these seemingly random concepts and ideas into something that works so well...it's something that we rarely see in the franchise these days in terms of a Pokémon that...anyone can get behind.
SWSH2_EN_183.png

This is the strongest I've felt about a Pseudo-legendary in a very long time. One of the most creative and innovative Pocket Monsters we've had in years, Dragapult sets a new gold standard for all Pseudos to come. There's so much that goes into it concept-wise, battle-wise, lore-wise...it all just comes together into one awesome Dragon. What's not to love in a wispy dinosaur newt dragon...plane...stealth bomber...crocodile?...catapult??...WITH BABY MISSILES?!? ITS SO EPIC. I say this a lot, but it really is something that I think I'll love more and more as time goes on. Who knows what other cool plans Game Freak has for this thing?? Whatever its future is, it's bright for sure.
As for my future, it's good to be back. :)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom