• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Chinese names revealed for latest anime: Anime characters, Pokémon translated

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Chinese names revealed for latest anime: Anime characters, Pokémon translated

The official Taiwanese website has released official Chinese names for starters and other Pokemon, anime characters and the fifth generation's region.

Read more on Bulbanews

Snivy - 藤藤蛇 "Téngténgshé" roughly translates to "vine vine snake."
蛇藤 (characters reversed) means orbiculatus, otherwise known as Oriental staff vine.

Tepig - 暖暖豬 "Nuǎnnuǎnzhū" roughly translates to "warm warm pig."
Reversing the characters yielded nothing of interest from Bing Translator.

Oshawott - 水水獺 "Shuǐshuǐtà" roughly translates to "water water otter."
獺水 (characters reversed) apparently means "across the water."

I got these by running the characters through an Bing Translator, so any wordplay and puns are lost on me. This should be a good rough guide until someone who can actually read it comes along.

Yes. I'm ovejoyed to know the CHINESE names. -_-;

You don't enjoy etymology? Your loss. I like knowing where words and names come from.

What baffles me is that you would even bother clicking on something that disinterests you so. To each his own, I suppose.

"Water Water Otter" sounds hilariously adorable.

EDIT: Although I've noticed, these sound more like Species names. Would these be treated as puns in Chinese?

Last edited:
Thank GOD my school taught me Chinese XD
Lemme have a look, I may post translations if I am not too lazy.
EDIT: These names are way too... Yanappu's Chinese Name= Flower and Monkey. Literally. And... Tooth Tooth? That sounds so... cute.

Last edited:
Here's some more (they're official):
四季鹿 (Shikijika) - Four-season deer
滾滾蝙蝠 (Koromori) - Rolling/Surging Bat
泡沫栗鼠 (Minccino) - "Bubble" Chinchilla

Anyway, no wordplay or puns. Just repeating words (藤藤蛇, 暖暖豬, 水水獺, 牙牙). In my opinion, the names sound kiddy.

Also, the species names for the starter are 海獺 (sea otter), 火豬 (fire pig), 草蛇 (grass snake). Yanappu (花椰猴) is actually "Cauliflower monkey", although "broccoli" (椰菜) would really make more sense.

Any comments on the names of characters and Isshu Unova's Chinese name (合眾)?

Here's some more (they're official):
四季鹿 (Shikijika) - Four-season deer
滾滾蝙蝠 (Koromori) - Rolling/Surging Bat
泡沫栗鼠 (Minccino) - "Bubble" Chinchilla

Anyway, no wordplay or puns. Just repeating words (藤藤蛇, 暖暖豬, 水水獺, 牙牙). In my opinion, the names sound kiddy.

Also, the species names for the starter are 海獺 (sea otter), 火豬 (fire pig), 草蛇 (grass snake). Yanappu (花椰猴) is actually "Cauliflower monkey", although "broccoli" (椰菜) would really make more sense.

Any comments on the names of characters and Isshu Unova's Chinese name (合眾)?

Except Yanappu is based off of the Willow Tree

Not Broccoli

Except Yanappu is based off of the Willow Tree

Not Broccoli

Thank you for pointing that out.

Although to be fair, the name origin for Yanappu is a bit ambiguous. It could be an alternate reading for 野菜 yasai (vegetable) or possibly from 緑花椰菜 midorihanayasai (one of the names for broccoli). The 花椰 (hanaya?) of 花椰猴 could be taken from there (Just a theory).

I loves 合眾地方, meaningful and not weird.

Names for starters are also cute. but 牙牙 is odd. (I'm imagining how Iris call it.)

And why 泡沫栗鼠? Minccino loves cleaning = loves bathe = Bubble?

Seems the localization people love repeating words this time. Maybe Klink and its evolutions would be called 齒輪 / 齒齒輪 / 齒齒齒輪? (That's not nightmare. It will be nightmare if they call 齒齒輪 / 齒齒齒輪 / 齒齒齒齒輪.)

BTW, the official My-cartoon page still has typos(輻/沬) on it.

Last edited:
I visit china a lot and, where can i watch the anime and what local channel (CCTV)? Or is this for Taiwan?

I loves 合眾地方, meaningful and not weird.

Names for starters are also cute. but 牙牙 is odd. (I'm imagining how Iris call it.)

And why 泡沫栗鼠? Minccino loves cleaning = loves bathe = Bubble?

Seems the localization people love repeating words this time. Maybe Klink and its evolutions would be called 齒輪 / 齒齒輪 / 齒齒齒輪? (That's not nightmare. It will be nightmare if they call 齒齒輪 / 齒齒齒輪 / 齒齒齒齒輪.)

BTW, the official My-cartoon page still has typos(輻/沬) on it.
合眾地方 was unexpected, but I like it. The name of the region really is different in every language, and yet somehow references America (except for the Spanish name).

Also, Minccino evolves to Chillaccino. -ccino = Capuccino??. Cappuccino has foam on top. Foam = 泡沫? (Silly theory)

Klink and its evolution could be called 奇亞輪 / 奇奇亞輪 / 奇奇奇亞輪 (or maybe 小齒輪, 三合一齒輪, 自爆齒輪???)

Still waiting for official names for Meguroco Sandile, Mamepato Pidove, Munna and Musharna, Darumakka Darmanitan, etc... (And Shooty)

I visit china a lot and, where can i watch the anime and what local channel (CCTV)? Or is this for Taiwan?

In Taiwan (and maybe Hong Kong).

From what I heard, they'll be showing it in Taiwan on 中華電信MOD Chunghwa Telecom Multimedia on Demand, it's some sort of pay-per-view service) sometime this month. (I can't watch it either :bawl:). I don't really know much about Hong Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom