• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Choices if I should get both double pack and the rerelease of the Pokémon Sword and Shield games.

Should I buy both double versions of the games?

• Buy the double pack that released last year only. And duplicate the first one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy the rereleased ones only. And keep the duplicate original one.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Team Plasma DJ Barret

Team Plasma Member
Reaction score
Guys since I got Pokémon Sword from Sam’s Club months ago, do you guys think I should get the double pack of Pokémon Sword and Shield games and own duplicate of the game I already have? Also should I get the new latest of them too?
7D6E9FCB-3F57-4EF3-A6DD-9313F4C76F22.jpeg
4A39BB1B-F90D-45B6-8A9B-8D4201B0F811.jpeg

do you guys think I should get the double pack of Pokémon Sword and Shield games and own duplicate of the game I already have?
Buying both Sword and Shield together doesn't exactly strike me as the, uh, smartest financial move. Why purchase a duplicate of a game you already own unless you intend to donate it? Considering that you can create multiple profiles on the Switch there isn't even a reason to purchase a second copy since you don't need it for the extra save file.

I just don't see any benefit to purchasing an expensive game that you already have and don't need. I'm going to be blunt and say that it's a waste of money--I recommend just buying Shield to complete the set.

Buying both Sword and Shield together doesn't exactly strike me as the, uh, smartest financial move. Why purchase a duplicate of a game you already own unless you intend to donate it? Considering that you can create multiple profiles on the Switch there isn't even a reason to purchase a second copy since you don't need it for the extra save file.

I just don't see any benefit to purchasing an expensive game that you already have and don't need. I'm going to be blunt and say that it's a waste of money--I recommend just buying Shield to complete the set.
Oh ok I see...you know I have a gamer cousin who appreciates receiving duplicate games...if I would consider buying the same game, I would send the one I already have to him.

Like @SpinyShell said, there isn't really much point in buying the original double pack if you already have Sword. The only extras you get are the pretty box and the Dynamax Crystals, which aren't worth repurchasing a game for in my opinion.

However, there is an advantage to buying the re-releases: because the Expansion Pass content is included on the game card, it will always be available to you even after the Nintendo Switch eShop eventually shuts down. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a digital Expansion Pass for the copy of Sword you already have, but if owning everything physically is something that's important to you, then buying the re-released version is certainly an option (and then you could give your original copy to your cousin).

As for Shield, I'd recommend the re-released version, if you want the Expansion Pass on that game too. Buying the re-released version costs about the same (or even slightly less, depending on where you shop) than buying the game and Expansion Pass separately, and you'll have a physical copy of the Expansion Pass content, so it's better value for money.

Last edited:
Like @SpinyShell said, there isn't really much point in buying the original double pack if you already have Sword. The only extras you get are the pretty box and the Dynamax Crystals, which aren't worth repurchasing a game for in my opinion.

However, there is an advantage to buying the re-releases: because the Expansion Pass content is included on the game card, it will always be available to you even after the Nintendo Switch eShop eventually shuts down. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a digital Expansion Pass for the copy of Sword you already have, but if owning everything physically is something that's important to you, then buying the re-released version is certainly an option (and then you could give your original copy to your cousin).

As for Shield, I'd recommend the re-released version, if you want the Expansion Pass on that game too. Buying the re-released version costs about the same (or even slightly less, depending on where you shop) than buying the game and Expansion Pass separately, and you'll have a physical copy of the Expansion Pass content, so it's better value for money.

I will just get Pokémon Shield to complete my game collection...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom