• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Choose....wisely

The absolis

The spirit of all absols
Reaction score
I have a question that has been plagueing me for about a year now. It is a question that you should think about before you answer. Now, the question is... there are two doors. You must choose one. One door holds 100,000 dollars of tax free money that you may use for anything with no catch what so ever. The second door leads to a blank room. Keep reading. This blank room is no ordinary room though, this room is basically your imagination, in other words anything you want is there. Whatever you want this room to be, however large you want it to be, and however different you want it to be from this world is up to you. There is a catch for this room though. One. You cannot bring anyone with you(you can make a.copy of them within this room) and two. You can never leave this room. Once again you can only choose one door and may only enter that room. Think about this question and choose carefully

Imagination door. I can make all the money, games, and real Pokémon I want.

So what I would do is use that US dollar and change it to Australian dollars or a sought after currency that will allow me get some value going and just buy securities and bonds in several overseas markets. That said I will also buy shares in different exchanges while also investing in development of research in emerging nations such as Brazil. Then I would use some money to invest in property in a well sought after area. Using that investment I would actually rent out the property giving some sort of cash flow and a ROI.

The money, and no question about it. That other room of yours sounds waaaaaaay too sinister. :p

Ooh interesting thread, I like it.

Now to answer the question:

Although I would be really tempted to take the money(hey it's tax free and is quite a lot of money, I could worry less about not having a job and have some extra I could donate to charity if I wanted) but the possibilities the other room would have is seemingly endless. Yes the one downside is that you couldnt have anyone with you to share it with but you literally could have anything you wanted. You could create way more than 100,000, make a nice place to live that would never break or need repairs and upkeep. Seemingly you create an alternate reality in the room, you could create one where money is not even needed. tl;dr I would choose the room not containing the money. With money you can only do so much.

So you're basically asking me to choose between $100k and Minecraft. I'll just take the $100k and buy Minecraft myself.

Since the second room is basically the equivalent of killing myself from an outsiders point of view (you even end up in your own personal heaven :p), I'm gonna take life and free money. I know at least my immediate family would be pretty devestated if I died, so I'm not gonna do that to them. It's not like it's such a huge loss for me anyway, I mean I get a boatload of money to take home with me. :3

I don't think I could be happy in the imagination room, as enjoyable as it seems, I'm no use to anyone locked up in a room forever. Being able to help other people with the money would make me a lot happier, I think.

the $100k, pretty easily. the other door seems eerily redolent of the magic theatre in steppenwolf—something that i'd rather not get myself into.

You can't bring anyone with you? That's a big no-no right there.

I'm not a particularly greedy person or caring of money, but if I can't ever leave or bring a particular person with me... then I'll take the cash. At least I can go freely wherever I want with it, instead of living in a sinister fantasy world all by myself populated by fake people. I'll never have the chance to create new experiences if I'm stuck inside of my mind, and that's something that I cherish far too much. And that particular person is something that I also cherish very much. There may be so many things I want that aren't possible in reality, but they aren't worth it by a longshot for such grave sacrifices.

While I can think of a bajillionty reasons why the imagination room would be insanely awesome and fulfill many insanely fantastic fantasies of Epicness that are just flat out impossible in real life, I'd have to go with the money.

If I cannot take anyone with me, then I'm not going to leave my girlfriend ( @Arylett Dawnsborough) behind. If I could take her with me, then the imagination room would certainly be the way to go. You might think "Oh, but you can just make a copy of her in the room!"

That's fine and dandy, but I would have the thought in my mind that I left her all alone in the real world without me. She would think I just disappeared, left her without any warning or possibly even died. I would have that thought in my mind constantly during my time in that room, and I imagine it would turn itself into a nightmare. I'd probably lose control of my own emotions and turn my own super imagination room against myself. And to be honest, I'd totally deserve it for abandoning Arylett like that.

A hundred thousand dollars on the other hand? I can use that to make the both of us happy for a very long time, and I wouldn't have to worry about my thoughts quite literally trying to kill me. :3

Imagination room sounds... horrible. I think I'd go insane from having no real people in my life. What about everyone I left behind? Would I just be erased from their minds, or would they mourn for me? I'll take the million, please and thanks. It would benefit others more.

Imagination door. I can make all the money, games, and real Pokémon I want.
absolutely. Whatever you want to do is possible.

So what I would do is use that US dollar and change it to Australian dollars or a sought after currency that will allow me get some value going and just buy securities and bonds in several overseas markets. That said I will also buy shares in different exchanges while also investing in development of research in emerging nations such as Brazil. Then I would use some money to invest in property in a well sought after area. Using that investment I would actually rent out the property giving some sort of cash flow and a ROI.

That's a great plan. Its well thought out and very practical.

The money, and no question about it. That other room of yours sounds waaaaaaay too sinister. :p

I guess if you think about it in the right way anything.can be sinister. I can see why you would think it to be sinister although I don't believe it truly is but that's your opinion and you should stick to it.

Ooh interesting thread, I like it.

Now to answer the question:

Although I would be really tempted to take the money(hey it's tax free and is quite a lot of money, I could worry less about not having a job and have some extra I could donate to charity if I wanted) but the possibilities the other room would have is seemingly endless. Yes the one downside is that you couldnt have anyone with you to share it with but you literally could have anything you wanted. You could create way more than 100,000, make a nice place to live that would never break or need repairs and upkeep. Seemingly you create an alternate reality in the room, you could create one where money is not even needed. tl;dr I would choose the room not containing the money. With money you can only do so much.

That is a very thought provoking answer. It is true that there's only so much you can do with money. But remember that the room is run on your imagination and therefore can change in an instant. Its your opinion and you should stick to it but always think about the implications, both.good and bad, of any.side of a choice.

So you're basically asking me to choose between $100k and Minecraft. I'll just take the $100k and buy Minecraft myself.

First off, no. Not minecraft. Minecraft is limited. There are several limits on minecraft. Minecraft is limited by how much space.you have on your system, how fast your fps is, and by what type of.computer you have. The only limits of the room however are whatever limits you put on yourself. There is also the fact that as the question is asked as if it was real, then everything in the room is real.
Mine craft is just a.collection of.pixels in the form of shapes for us to look at from outside.a.screen and to influence.through a.tap, mouse.click, or controller. So no. It is not mine craft.

Since the second room is basically the equivalent of killing myself from an outsiders point of view (you even end up in your own personal heaven :p), I'm gonna take life and free money. I know at least my immediate family would be pretty devestated if I died, so I'm not gonna do that to them. It's not like it's such a huge loss for me anyway, I mean I get a boatload of money to take home with me. :3

Technically yes. I guess from a outsiders view you are basically dead to this world. In hypothetical questions it all depends on what you think will happen depending.on the choice you make. Either way it is.a good answer.

I don't think I could be happy in the imagination room, as enjoyable as it seems, I'm no use to anyone locked up in a room forever. Being able to help other people with the money would make me a lot happier, I think.

What ever you think is best is the right answer. Happiness is , at least to me, one.of.the most important things in life.

the $100k, pretty easily. the other door seems eerily redolent of the magic theatre in steppenwolf—something that i'd rather not get myself into.

I'm not sure what steppe wolf is but if it seems similar to something I would say is not good to you then that is your choice and.you should absolutely stick to that choice.

You can't bring anyone with you? That's a big no-no right there.

I'm not a particularly greedy person or caring of money, but if I can't ever leave or bring a particular person with me... then I'll take the cash. At least I can go freely wherever I want with it, instead of living in a sinister fantasy world all by myself populated by fake people. I'll never have the chance to create new experiences if I'm stuck inside of my mind, and that's something that I cherish far too much. And that particular person is something that I also cherish very much. There may be so many things I want that aren't possible in reality, but they aren't worth it by a longshot for such grave sacrifices.

Obviously you have weighed the good.against the bad and made a decision. As long.as.your decision is well thought out then it will never be a bad decision. This is a very.good.answer and I wish that everyone put in the same amount of.thought into.any.decisions they may.have.to.make.

While I can think of a bajillionty reasons why the imagination room would be insanely awesome and fulfill many insanely fantastic fantasies of Epicness that are just flat out impossible in real life, I'd have to go with the money.

If I cannot take anyone with me, then I'm not going to leave my girlfriend ( @Arylett Dawnsborough) behind. If I could take her with me, then the imagination room would certainly be the way to go. You might think "Oh, but you can just make a copy of her in the room!"

That's fine and dandy, but I would have the thought in my mind that I left her all alone in the real world without me. She would think I just disappeared, left her without any warning or possibly even died. I would have that thought in my mind constantly during my time in that room, and I imagine it would turn itself into a nightmare. I'd probably lose control of my own emotions and turn my own super imagination room against myself. And to be honest, I'd totally deserve it for abandoning Arylett like that.

A hundred thousand dollars on the other hand? I can use that to make the both of us happy for a very long time, and I wouldn't have to worry about my thoughts quite literally trying to kill me. :3

Another very good answer. It appears that you also put a lot of thought into your answer and have thought about the.good and bad. Just make.sure that you don't ruin yourself with the.corruption.money.comes.with.

Imagination room sounds... horrible. I think I'd go insane from having no real people in my life. What about everyone I left behind? Would I just be erased from their minds, or would they mourn for me? I'll take the million, please and thanks. It would benefit others more.

Its a hypothetical question so its entirely up to you what happens if you enter the room so I'm going to say that the answer to that is up to you. Also because for some reason.it bothers.me it is not one million it is only 100,000 dollars.

All of these are very good answers. I believe that since I forgot to answer my own question I should answer it now.

I forgot to mention that the time it takes you to answer is not specified so I'll use that loophole. Right now I cannot make that choice. I'm young enough that my life could go anyway and to pick any choice right now would be to deprive myself of the other. If I pick the 100,000 dollars right now then there's the chance that it will be.gone before I know what to do with it but if I pick the room I am essentially leaving behind a life that I have yet to live. My choice will have to wait until either I have lost everything or have earned all that one ever needs (friends, family, and happiness).

I guess if you think about it in the right way anything.can be sinister. I can see why you would think it to be sinister although I don't believe it truly is but that's your opinion and you should stick to it.

Have you ever seen The Twilight Zone episode "A Nice Place To Visit"? I ask because the imagination room kind of reminds me of the set-up in that. ;p

The second door. In the room I'd set up the possibility of choosing between one room with money and another with a limitless imagination. Then I'd choose the second one. In the room I'd set up the possibility of choosing between one room with money and another with a limitless imagination. Then I'd choose the second one. In the room I'd set up the possibility of choosing between one room with money and another with a limitless imagination. Then I'd choose the money and realize I've trapped myself.

Have you ever seen The Twilight Zone episode "A Nice Place To Visit"? I ask because the imagination room kind of reminds me of the set-up in that. ;p

I'm afraid I have not. I might have to see it though.

The second door. In the room I'd set up the possibility of choosing between one room with money and another with a limitless imagination. Then I'd choose the second one. In the room I'd set up the possibility of choosing between one room with money and another with a limitless imagination. Then I'd choose the second one. In the room I'd set up the possibility of choosing between one room with money and another with a limitless imagination. Then I'd choose the money and realize I've trapped myself.

Well... that's an interesting way to look at it. I honestly do not know what else to say.

I'll take the money. I'll wind up delusional staying in the second room. And maybe even insane.

I'm tempted to choose the imagination door because then I can create a world where everyone is happy. There are no bullies, no hurtful attitudes, no killings, no suicides, no wars...a utopia where I can put myself in and be happy and peaceful for the rest of my life. Everyone will be friends, everyone will be nice and honest, and everyone will be happy. At least I'll die believing so when I die.

But the fact that it's all just something I can only imagine is pure tragic. I guess I'll grab the money and see what I can do with it to spread more happiness.

Although I like the sound of the imagination room, I'd definitely go for the room with the money. I mean, having whatever you wanted by just thinking of it sounds pretty damn amazing, but I'd probably go insane stuck in a room like that. Plus it'd essentially be like dying, right? If you couldn't take anyone with you then surely they'd think you were dead? I couldn't do that to the people I love... and I couldn't live without them anyway. So I'd take the money and try my hardest to make sure I have everything I need, right here in reality.

This thread is quite an interesting one.
I've been thinking about it, and although I would really really love to choose the imaginary door, just so I could see my mother one last time and probably relive the past year of my life with a completely different outcome that I decide, as well as living in a world without things I don't like (and making things like Digimon and Pokémon real) the idea of never coming back after entering this door makes all the difference; I don't think I could go into a room I could never leave because I'd be leaving behind my siblings and boyfriend and I just don't think I could do that. So I'd choose the 100,000 dollars of tax free money. I'd spend small amounts of it on food and Psychology books for uni, but I'll save up the rest of getting a house after uni.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom