• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Christmas Challenge

Sith Droideka

I! AM NOT! A MORON!
Reaction score
As we are all aware, the Winter Solstice Area Holidays are fast approaching. For most of us, that means Christmas, with the exception of anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas. Thus, we should all write a Winter-Solstice-Area-Holiday 'fic, with the holiday being chosen. I suggest we do this in the manner of challenges to various people. For instance, Topaz is currently planning out a Christmas Carol Pokémon-style.

Now, my first challenge: a rip-off of Dr. Suess' beloved book, How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

I think I'll do two versions of "A Pokemon Chrismas Carol"--One serious (the one I'm planning) and one comic (Brock trying to tell it serious, but someone's overactive imagination messes it up)

The serious version will still have a little humor in it, though

We're already having a Christmas/Holiday/Winter themed contest in the Workshop, but the rules will be published until December, as it is most appropriate to do.

If this is not what you're referring too, then sorry for interrupting. I'm just checking.

Well, I suppose that depends. My idea is that we take beloved Winter works (plays, books, poems, etc.) and create Pokémon-themed stories off of them. If this is the same as the Winter Contest to be begun in three days, then we can just use this thread and replace my challenge with the mods' rules regarding the Winter Writing Contest.

Well, I suppose that depends. My idea is that we take beloved Winter works (plays, books, poems, etc.) and create Pokémon-themed stories off of them. If this is the same as the Winter Contest to be begun in three days, then we can just use this thread and replace my challenge with the mods' rules regarding the Winter Writing Contest.

If so, I have two parodies i'm making- The night before Christmas and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Should be Shikijika, really. I don't think Olive is old enough to be a Mebu.

But I don't see eight Shikijika pulling around Santa's sleigh. >_>

Besides, the reindeer where a lot larger than Olive in the original anyway.

I thought of doing The Nightmare Before Christmas with pokémon, but the problem is that I doubt I can fit the awesome songs in the 'fic (I don't like and can't write song 'fic; I've seen very few good ones), and I'm not sure who Oogey-Boogey would be. Thus, I have decided to open that idea up to any better writers than I (such as quite a few writers).

Well, you have the cast, right? And I suppose, now that I think about it, that time is the key factor. Is Brock telling the story pre-Hoenn? In that case, go with Ash. Between Hoenn-Sinnoh? No idea. Past Ash going to Isshu Unova? Go with the Brocklings.

This is set in between Houen and Shinou (But Dawn is with Ash)

For the serious version, this is what it looks like so far:

Paul as Scrooge (but I liked the Agatha idea)
Rowan as Marley (maybe)
Ash as Mr. Cratchit
Dawn as the Spirit of Christmas Past (since she explicitly says this is her favorite part in the frame)
Brock as the Storyteller (in the frame)/Spirit of Christmas Present (in the story)
Darkrai as the Spirit of Christmas Yet to Come

I forgot about Mr. Cratchit in the comic version! Let's see... I think that it should be Barry. And he obsessively fines his employer before un-fining him. And Mrs. Cratchit can be Dawn/Paul/Zoey/Candice/etc.

So it starts off with serious cast, at least until Ash begins to add things in. Gotcha.

Actually, it may look something like this (using a little bit of what I've written out in the serious version)

<i>Now, in order to understand this tale, you have to remember that Marley was dead from the very beginning.</i> Brock narrates via voiceover as a procession of mourners make their way to a graveyard, with a dull purple haired boy with a dour look on his face--Paul--leading the way. <i>And that guy there is Scrooge--Marley's partner.</i>

The scene changes to a bustling town in a time long past. <i> Scrooge was infamous for his icy demeanor--no one asked him for the time or for directions, and even the Pokemon knew to stay far away from him.</i> Some Pikachus fearfully run away as Paul steps across an icy puddle. <i>In fact, he preferred it that way. For all he knew, sympathy could take a hike.</i>

"Penny for the poor, guv?" a random boy asks Paul as he walks along the frozen road.

"Bah!" Paul grunts as he waves the boy away and approaches a large house-like building.

This house was actually a cover for his super secret spy operation! Ash interjects as Paul throws off his coat and hat to reveal him in a tuxedo as the James Bond theme begins and some chorus girls come out into the street to dance, never mind they would freeze to death in the cold.

The townsfolk look on, confused before a record scrape resets the scene. I'm the one telling this story, okay? Brock warns.

Just like to offer some input on Sith Droideka's Nightmare Before Christmas idea, I think that Dasutodasu might be a good Oogie Boogie. If Isshu Unova Pokemon aren't your thing, then maybe Cacturne or Dusclops?

All right then, I can't believe I didn't think of that! Well, here's my idea for the cast so far:

Jack: no idea
Sally: a ragdoll Gardevoir
Dr. Finklestein: a wheelchair-bound Kadabra
Oogey-Boogey: Dasutodasu
The Mayor: no idea
Zero: something that floats and can learn Defog or Flash (and looks vaguely like a dog)
Sandy Claws Santa Claus: a Delibird
Reindeer: those new winter reindeer
Skeleton Reindeer: skeleton Stantler
Lock, Shock, and Barrel: no idea (Pichu, Bronzor, and Phanpy/centipede-pokémon's prevo?)

Various minor characters- most of them I have no idea for, except:
Ghosts: Gastly
Band: Kricketune, Kricketot, and some other musical pokémon
Clown: Mr. Mime

Put a Duskull on a headless humanoid Pokémon body. Voilà, instant Jack Skellington.

That'd fit perfectly with the line, "And since I am dead, I can take off my head / To recite Shakespearean quotations".

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom